• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court: Luc Besson's "Lockout" plagiarized John Carpenter's "Escape from New York".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Did Kurosawa sue for Magificent Seven, or Star Wars?

Kurosawa apparently loved The Magnificent Seven. He even gave a sword as a present to the film's director after he saw it.

And I doubt Kurosawa would have had much of an issue with Star Wars, especially after Lucas helped him out so much on getting him back to directing films again.

Lockout is fun as hell or as I like to call it Space Asshole.

I went with Wubba Lubba Dub Dub for main guy Guy Pierce in my 'review' of it last year in the movies you watched thread.

to quote myself with that review, spoilers removed:

Someone mentioned Lockout (2012) in the monthly "Interstellar or This Movie, FIGHT!" thread and this feels like Luc Besson's entry for an Escape From (whatevs) sequel. Not quite Escape From Earth, but it's close. Starring Guy Pearce as Wubba Lubba Dub Dub, Peter Stormare as Peter Stormare playing it straight (such a waste, that man has a delicious ham when he goes full ham), and Maggie Grace, best known for the somewhat obnoxious mani-pixy daughter of Taken, which I imagine is holding her choice of roles back at this point. She's lovely in this though, just to get that out the way.

(...)

The actual plot is that Wubba Lubba Dub Dub has had an secret operation backfire and is possibly framed for a crime he didn't commit (the explanation for which is shocking. Shocking I say), and is supposed to spend some 30 years in an orbital supermax prison, but the president's daughter being there with the worst secret service agent ever means he is instead sent into the prison to save her from the now released prisoners (all of them? yes). Meanwhile, Wubba Lubba Dub Dub also searches for his partner in the prison because he needs a certain briefcase back.

(...)

But this is where it hits you: either these actors are rewriting their lines completely to be in line with what they think about this thing, or is this some kind of near-improv satire or something. Or it's just written by a Frenchmen. They tend to do that. Wubba Lubba Dub Dub is either playing his character or completely not giving a shit (I think he's actually playing the character in line with Snake Plisskin, smoking included. Some dialogue seems to directly relate to that too)

(...)

This movie is amazing. Just not for the usually correct reasons. It is a lot of fun though, and avoids some tropes while having fun with them too, so that's a plus in my book.

(...)

I Don't Give A Fuck! out of Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

So I see why they would sue on similarity, but the actual reason for it (not from Carpenter, but CanalPlus) seems incredibly petty. Also, similarity in idea versus in execution are separate things and I'm not too happy about a right holder just randomly suing people because they feel like it. Good thing Carpenter has to give his blessing and it's within the EU where compensation is typically low, so not like the US.

Seesaw15

Lockout is a more enjoyable film. I apprieciate Escape from New York for its place in film history but its a slog to get through.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lockout is a more enjoyable film. I apprieciate Escape from New York for its place in film history but its a slog to get through.

I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. The Escape movies are GOAT tier.

tumblr_nxg7vgxg0a1s1uj0qo6_400.gif

Ronin Ray

Guy Pearce was great in lockout. If Robert Downey didn't star in ironman I think he would have been a great second choice. I wish he would do more action movies.

This lawsuit seems so weird to me. There are SO many movies that could be sued for "copying" other movie plots if this one is "legally" close enough.

Vibranium

Banned
You sue for this and not Metal Gear? The fuck, man.

Carpenter himself actually said he chose not to make a big deal over Metal Gear because he is a fan of Kojima and thinks he's a nice guy.

I liked Lockout, but the Escape from New York is a classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom