• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to February 2019

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Thus the word "defense"

I don't care either way, go get your corporation of choice tattooed for all I care BUT it would be nice to have an xbox thread without the usuals derailing (no need to point out the obvious)

It was derailed when fanboys started to compare Sony's delayed games to Microsoft's. There's no reason compare Crackdown 3 delays to a game like Days Gone when Microsoft are the ones struggling to put out exclusives. So instead of people trying to damage control what's going on, just accept it and move on.

It also doesn't help that people are saying "cancel it" when MS is still committed to bringing this title out next year.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah, none of those are AAA. All forgettable with cancelled sequels outside of The Show which is annualized like all sports games. And I love how you guys always bring up Bloodborne. It was well reviewed but niche and only proves my point if that's the best example you can desperately bring up.

AAA just refers to full budget retail releases. What exactly is your strange definition of only UC4 and GoW qualify?

hiphopcr

AAA just refers to full budget retail releases. What exactly is your strange definition of only UC4 and GoW qualify?
If Until Dawn is in the same category as God of War then the definition is too broad. I did mention I was speaking of "tent pole" games earlier as well but people see what they want to see.

hiphopcr

How does this hiphop guy still have an account here neogaf has seriously went to shit
It's difficult when you abide by the status quo and someone spouts truth that differs from what you've been told. The Gaf perspective on Xbox is like this creepy hive mind cult where people reflexively regurgitate the same tired lines as if it's absolute because that's what the echo chamber has been repeating to themselves.

This narrative that the PS4 has this great library and the X1 has no games is bizarre and absurd but I understand how fake news propagates. Once the story gets picked up it's recycled by every site with barely a change in headline.

The truth is that one machine has a better multiplayer lineup and one has a better single player lineup with multiplats filling in respective weaknesses. If that ruffles your feathers or shocks you to the core I'm sorry but not really.

bitbydeath

If Until Dawn is in the same category as God of War then the definition is too broad. I did mention I was speaking of "tent pole" games earlier as well but people see what they want to see.

giphy.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some of you guys need to slow down. I understand that hiphopcr is somewhat blind to xbox's problems but some of you guys acting as if its wrong for him to be fan xbox and its games.

hiphopcr

Some of you guys need to slow down. I understand that hiphopcr is somewhat blind to xbox's problems but some of you guys acting as if its wrong for him to be fan xbox and its games.
I'm telling you, it's hive mind. They met someone who's not an automaton droid and it messed with their brain. Wondering why fans of a console with such a sales lead and ostensibly so many great games to play have such an inferiority complex and fixation on a competitor...

-MD-

If it really bothers you that much I would suggest trying to avoid it's coverage, including message board threads.

Really doesn't bother me at all, the last game in this series is sitting at a 70 on metacritic, I wouldn't lose sleep if I never played a Crackdown again.

On the off chance this ends up being good I'll game pass it for 10 bucks.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Fine, let's play the semantics game. Where were we, low-end AAA, not high-end AAA, right? This is fun, right? It really means a lot.

It only means something if you're sayin games like Killzone and InFamous aren't AAA titles.

daibaron

Banned
Crackdown deserves all the jokes, it is all ms fault with the fucking power of the cloud bullshit, like they had mjolnir powering up their cloud computing service. Gaming is still a joke, imagine if Elon Musk did a stunt like that, imagine the stock market reaction.

Xbox fanboys talking about great exclusives like luckys tale, it is a very average game, even cuphead is not that special. Just a cool indie game, while nex machina is a great game and it isd not even mentioned because ps4 has so many great games. And it is better to leave psvr out of the discusiion because that would be a completely unfair advantage to this kind of discussion.

Having said that i hope crackdown turns out ok.

nowhat

nex machina is a great game
Offtopic, but the fact that Nex Machina didn't get the recognition it so much deserves is a travesty. Good reviews, but sadly not sales. It may be a niche genre, but goddamn Housemarque absolutely nailed the genre. The voxel-based graphics are awesome and in HDR the colours are just terrific - not only looking great, but also communicating vital information about what's going on. And it was available on PC too, but I guess that didn't help either.

Now Housemarque is apparently working on a battle royal game. Sigh.

-MD-

As a Xbox customer myself, I hope nothing. He's clearly trying, but he's only it sound like Xbox fans are living in denial.

This is probably the weakest Xbox has ever been as far as software goes, I thought the Kinect years were rough but this is absolutely brutal. I remember going to bat for Xbox in my late-teen years when 360 was relevant and it was being flooded with great games, imagine being an Xbox fanboy in 2018 and how difficult that would be lol.

Desperate times.

Vawn

Banned
This is probably the weakest Xbox has ever been as far as software goes, I thought the Kinect years were rough but this is absolutely brutal. I remember going to bat for Xbox in my late-teen years when 360 was relevant and it was being flooded with great games, imagine being an Xbox fanboy in 2018 and how difficult that would be lol.

Desperate times.

Yes, I don't understand why criticizing a company for not meeting expectations makes you a fanboy for a competing company.

I'm a paying consumer for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo and I am not above criticizing any of them when warranted. I'm also going to give credit when they're exceeding expectations.

This generation Sony has simply brought the games and Microsoft has not. Nintendo is doing it's thing and I love my Switch. And not just because it's the in thing. I was very happy with my Wii U as well.

Believe me, I WANT more reasons to play my Xbox One. 360 was my primary machine the first half of last generation, before the games slowed down and PS3's ramped up.

Anyway, I don't know what else needs to be said. There's no reason arguing further with anyone who is determined to back whatever their company gives them out of blind loyalty. They've clearly made up their mind.

Last edited:

xool

Um... what actually happened to this game? It looked almost complete years back...

They show it playable at TGS 2013 (link just before the dragon)

[obligatory japanese people saying "ok" (HI!!!) warning]

afaik it was always going to be f2p, some old trailers are still on COG's youtube (ie in the COGmovie channel, just search for them)

Got "cancelled" in 2015.. you can read between the lines in this Yoshinori Ono interview from 4gamers
(http://www.4gamer.net/games/289/G028968/20150203066/ )

"deep down" seems to take a little more time. In the streets, it seems to have been said that "I canceled development", but there is not such a thing (bitter smile).
It may be a while ahead, but I'd like to show off a totally different picture from what I showed before. Actually, the idea is bigger than when we first announced it. Rather, it may have been useless in the previous vision.
Since online game service will be a long-term game, players will not get rooted even if the game is interesting unless necessary parts are created properly at the time of service in. [via google translate]

;tldr ..basically game wasn't big/fun enough to justify a f2p release as they didn't expect people to play it for long enough to start paying .. or something

Last edited:

hiphopcr

It only means something if you're sayin games like Killzone and InFamous aren't AAA titles.
I'm a little concerned that not specifying low, mid, and high end AAA games means so much to you, especially when those terms are not widely used. It's a little funny but more concerning.

hiphopcr

Yes, I don't understand why criticizing a company for not meeting expectations makes you a fanboy for a competing company.
I also don't understand why having a different viewpoint on something subjective means to some people that said viewpoint is so clearly wrong. Tell me the hate hasn't gone too far and the knee jerk reaction of calling for the cancellation of a game that is seemingly near complete is not part of the problem.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm a little concerned that not specifying low, mid, and high end AAA games means so much to you, especially when those terms are not widely used. It's a little funny but more concerning.
It's not. It just means some AAA games are more expensive than others. Street Fighter V and Mortal Kombat X are both AAA games, but MKX likely cost more to produce.

MrDanGuy

All of this complaining, and it’s only delayed a little over month into 2019. This seems more of a push to get it out of the war zone of fall then anything else.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
I am starting to think Microsoft was a little overly ambitious on the whole cloud computing revolution they were trying to spearhead with crackdown 3. The cloud has been used in some games but nothing even close to what they are trying to achieve with crackdown 3. Maybe they need time to let the technology catch up to their vision, but damn, that vision is already 5(?) Years old now and it seems they are still struggling.

iconmaster

Banned
Wasn't it originally slated to release in 2016?

Yes, and slated every year since. 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019.

It has to be the cloud computing focus, right? Feels like this was the game that got thrown under the bus for an Xbox marketing claim.

Last edited:

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I'd like to invite those discussing hive mind fanboyism, shilling and GAF wide conspiracy theories to join everyone else back in reality. It is inevitable that when something like this happens it will be viewed not just on its own, but on a platform and industry level as well. Pick any thread of a game delay on any system, and you will see the same. No need to get backs up when the discussion takes that direction.

I never understood the fanboyism behind 'Delaystation' or 'Delaybox'. These fanboys by definition are not head of game studios. They are not game designers. They have 0 influence on whether a game is going to be released on time or not. To be a Sony/XBox fan and to have joy at the other platform's delays is just 'shake my head' territory.

I figured it would be delayed. If it came out in the fall it would be pretty crowed with RDR 2 and the other games coming. So going into Feb 2019 where its less crowed and more potential for sales.

Still going to be a 7/8 out of 10 anyway.

Michele

you.
Damn it, another delay for the game that I was looking forward to...Due to delay I won't be buying this game. Sorry.

Vawn

Banned
I never understood the fanboyism behind 'Delaystation' or 'Delaybox'. These fanboys by definition are not head of game studios. They are not game designers. They have 0 influence on whether a game is going to be released on time or not. To be a Sony/XBox fan and to have joy at the other platform's delays is just 'shake my head' territory.

And I don't understand these defensive comments arguing against comments that were not even made.

Damn it, another delay for the game that I was looking forward to...Due to delay I won't be buying this game. Sorry.

Its being delayed as this fall is crowed with releases. We got RDR 2, Fallout 76, Black Ops 4, Call of Duty, Spiderman, Tomb Raider, Battlefield V.
They gotta release this game in a time where it can actually sell. People will be buying RDR 2 and playing that.

demigod

I figured it would be delayed. If it came out in the fall it would be pretty crowed with RDR 2 and the other games coming. So going into Feb 2019 where its less crowed and more potential for sales.

If your game is good, releasing it in the Fall should not matter. CoD, BF sells tons even though they release near each other.

If your game is good, releasing it in the Fall should not matter. CoD, BF sells tons even though they release near each other.

Still got RDR 2 and others. Gotta remember The Average user only buys a handful of games per year. They are going to buy the big names I.E RDR 2 before Crackdown 3.

Michele

you.
Its being delayed as this fall is crowed with releases. We got RDR 2, Fallout 76, Black Ops 4, Call of Duty, Spiderman, Tomb Raider, Battlefield V.
They gotta release this game in a time where it can actually sell. People will be buying RDR 2 and playing that.

You forgot to include Smash. If all goes well, Smash might go for a fall release too.

Three

I'll repeat what I said about Crackdown when MS cancelled Stormlands and crackdown 3 was brought up
Cynical me kind of thinks partly because the backlash for that would be higher than the others since that's the champion for "power of the cloud". It's the one thing that they need to save total embarrassment on that lie.

They'll probably just make it a battle-royale game though. ;)

Last edited:

hiphopcr

Isn't just a bigger, better version of Crackdown 1 with destructibility and co-op what everyone wants?

But I thought people just wanted a bigger, better version of State of Decay with co-op and reviewers still threw a fit.

xool

Isn't just a bigger, better version of Crackdown 1 with destructibility and co-op what everyone wants?

But I thought people just wanted a bigger, better version of State of Decay with co-op and reviewers still threw a fit.

I though most reviewers liked State of Decay 2 (most) , but it got flak (and poor scores) because of a new wave of bugs.

I don't know about Crackdown - I suspect the problems isn't the cloud physics, but the real problem is that what was great fun earlyish on on the 360 isn't cutting it several years later. The early physics demos looked nuts (not sure what the current state is), but the recent solo gameplay shows didn't seem to generate much excitement.

I'm not saying the neon-cities looked dated, but.. .. let me put it this way - people who played the orig. are now 10 years older - but Crackdown doesn't seem to have grown up.. That's pretty harsh, but that's the way it feels to me.

Last edited:

hiphopcr

I though most reviewers liked State of Decay 2 (most) , but it got flak (and poor scores) because of a new wave of bugs.

I don't know about Crackdown - I suspect the problems isn't the cloud physics, but the real problem is that what was great fun earlyish on on the 360 isn't cutting it several years later. The early physics demos looked nuts (not sure what the current state is), but the recent solo gameplay shows didn't seem to generate much excitement. I'm not saying the neon-cities looked dated, but..
I agree it didn't look great. Ironically people complained about Crackdown 1's art style right up to launch until it received a late overhaul.

And I thought all the demos were beloved. Being able to blow a building up piece by piece seemed to generate lots of excitement.

xool

And I thought all the demos were beloved. Being able to blow a building up piece by piece seemed to generate lots of excitement.

Early on the also had the feature were you could destroy cover bit by bit, with a pile of rubble building up .. and not just canned destruction animations.. idk if that's still in ?

ie this:

Seanze01

It has been delayed for years, what's another few months? Rdr2 would eat its lunch money anyway, probably a smart choice.

Top Bottom