• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot Community

TheOGB

Banned
EarlySnowGoMaster.png

Mother of god

Raonak

Banned
PS1 games were god tier. Crash 2 & 3 were amazing, found crash1 too frustrating with the save system.

Well we seem to share a lot in common with Sonic fans haha.

Except no-one gets excited for new crash games. It's pretty much expected that any non ND crash game will suck....

now if ND were to somehow obtain the rights again...

Crash 1 harder than 16 bit Mario and Donkey Kong Country? Now I've heard it all. The DKC games on SNES are particularly brutal. The difficulty of Crash 1 is nothing in comparison.

The SNES Mario and DKC games were extraordinarily easy, and that's coming from someone who loves both of them. Even 100%'ing them was easier.

Tizoc

That video reminded me how bothered I get by people spinning wumpa fruit away :T

Likewise lol, I just like the sound when you pick them up.

is thre an offcial respnse as to why crash and spyro arent n vita?

None whatsoever sadly.
...but with Activision leaving Vivendi, and the recent sale on Crash titles, I wonder if there are plans to give away the franchise? I could be wrong though, but I'm a blind optimist through and through =p

Gangxxter

That video reminded me how bothered I get by people spinning wumpa fruit away :T
This. It's an absolute no-go!

Man I keep discovering stuff I didn't know. There's a guy making a mod to Crash 2 and he's calling it Crash Bandicoot 2: Master Quest:
http://crash2masterquest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/what-is-this-all-about.html

I didn't even know any of the games had modding tools.
I think this mod is pretty much dead. But there is another very interesting modding project going on for Crash 1: http://hpzr.proboards.com/thread/7484/crash-hacking-utility-editing-suite
This guy works on a full-fledged level editor/viewer for Crash 1. He even plans to port the entire game to C! Looks very promising.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah. SMW and DKC are both spectacular video games, but difficult they are not.

Am I seriously living in a world where of all games Crash fucking bandicoot is considered difficult, but the original DKC is considered easy? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Nothing in the original Crash even comes close to the difficulty of the original DKC. Or even DKC2(which I did find much easier and it's also the only one of the SNES games I liked much). Maybe playing it on an emulator with a controller I'm not a fan of had something to do with it, but they could be pretty brutal games. Actually I might have even been using a keyboard for it if I remember correctly. In fact I never even beat the games. Partly because I wasn't enjoying them that much and partly because I was getting a bit annoyed with them. This is coming from someone that has beaten I Wanna Be The Guy multiple times.

Something tells me you're all just blinded by the fact you played them so much when you were kids that you're just used to the game. Especially when you actually say Crash is harder. I mean saying DKC is easy is one thing.....but Crash harder? Just no. I'd also argue SMW is a harder game than Crash, but in that case I will say there isn't much difficulty there.

Tizoc

TheOGB, your post about Mind over Mutant got me interested in getting it now, will aim to get it by the end of the month when I wrap up my purcahses.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm just gonna add something to the whole Crash 1 difficulty thing and say something else. Crash Twinsanity is a harder game than Crash 1.
From what I've played so far (and I'm only a few levels in) without a doubt. The usual trend is for games to dumb down but that's not the case here.

Obviously most people saying Crash 1 is the hardest are only considering the original trilogy in the discussion.

Am I seriously living in a world where of all games Crash fucking bandicoot is considered difficult, but the original DKC is considered easy? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Nothing in the original Crash even comes close to the difficulty of the original DKC. Or even DKC2(which I did find much easier and it's also the only one of the SNES games I liked much). Maybe playing it on an emulator with a controller I'm not a fan of had something to do with it, but they could be pretty brutal games. Actually I might have even been using a keyboard for it if I remember correctly. In fact I never even beat the games. Partly because I wasn't enjoying them that much and partly because I was getting a bit annoyed with them. This is coming from someone that has beaten I Wanna Be The Guy multiple times.

Something tells me you're all just blinded by the fact you played them so much when you were kids that you're just used to the game. Especially when you actually say Crash is harder. I mean saying DKC is easy is one thing.....but Crash harder? Just no. I'd also argue SMW is a harder game than Crash, but in that case I will say there isn't much difficulty there.

Getting 100% on Crash 1 is leaps and bounds more difficult than DKC. But your username is "I Wanna Be The Guy", so your views on the relative difficulty of game may be a little crazy. :p

Edit: I see you've already referred to that. I would still rate Crash 1 as tougher than DKC 1, straight through. I don't understand how an I Wanna Be The Guy player could have trouble with DKC, it's very forgiving.

I'm just gonna add something to the whole Crash 1 difficulty thing and say something else. Crash Twinsanity is a harder game than Crash 1.

This is true. There's a particular section, right before you into N. Gin's sub, where there isn't a save point for what feels like forever.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Something tells me you're all just blinded by the fact you played them so much when you were kids that you're just used to the game. Especially when you actually say Crash is harder.
Wouldn't people be thinking the games are easier if they were so used to the game?

Not that I disagree with you, Crash games are easy compared to SNES platformers.

Gangxxter

I think I need to check out DKC, I also want to know now which game is harder.

Bumhead

Banned
Booted up Crash 1 on the Vita yesterday. Having to use the D-Pad felt absolutely crazy, but I'm slowly getting back into the groove with it.

Regarding difficulty, I think Crash 1 is reasonably straight forward to play and finish start to end, but is incredibly difficult to master. I've played through the original game countless times but have never come close to 100%. Some of the later levels and boss fights are pretty devilish too.

Tizoc

Booted up Crash 1 on the Vita yesterday. Having to use the D-Pad felt absolutely crazy, but I'm slowly getting back into the groove with it.

Regarding difficulty, I think Crash 1 is reasonably straight forward to play and finish start to end, but is incredibly difficult to master. I've played through the original game countless times but have never come close to 100%. Some of the later levels and boss fights are pretty devilish too.

Koala Kong tip
You can spin his boulder to destroy them, I never knew this =V

Crash bandicoot is amazing.. I wanna know why they arent doing ANYTHING with it anymore? its silly.. if they can bring back spyro with success, i dont see why they cant bring back the coot!!

the old ones were so simple, yet so hard.. very hard.. so hard that i loved the challenge

Yawnier

Banned
My main problem with the difficulty in Crash 1 were the difficulty spikes in particular, you would say play through a few levels on the first or second island then get to a level such as one of those bridge ones with the fog (I forget the names) and they would be pretty tough and take like 20 lives from you if you're me.

Looking to try out some crash games, what's the best one on PS1 and best one on PS2?

PS1: I will go with Crash: Warped right now but depending on the day of the week I change my opinion and say that Crash 2: Cortex Strikes Back is the best, so either of those two.

PS2: I would say Twinsanity.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Interesting detail from the Twinsanity files. The folder on the root directory that contains the game's files is called CRASH6. IIRC there was a similar folder in Wrath of Cortex called CRASH5. Controversial stuff :p.

Motwera

Banned
-Removed by Motwera-
Okay, guys from Crash Mania forums, please don't get upset about Jerm trying to get info from Activision into this much, just because he is trying, doesn't mean you should try to ban anything about him..

jdkluv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9yhcbtp7hQ
Okay, guys from Crash Mania forums, please don't get upset about Jerm trying to get info from Activision into this much, just because he is trying, doesn't mean you should try to ban anything about him..

Is that game Crash Twinsanity? Looks really good :O

- Why Crash Bandicoot wasn't in PlayStation All Stars because Crash Bandicoot was Third Party, since he's third party, he couldn't be in All Stars since that was a 'Sony Exclusive Only' Title.

Why was Raiden in PlayStation All Stars then? :lol

Orbis

Koala Kong tip
You can spin his boulder to destroy them, I never knew this =V
The way I used to defeat him was by
standing as far to the right as possible, and just spin everything that comes your way. You literally don't have to move at all and you'd eventually defeat him.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is that game Crash Twinsanity? Looks really good :O

Why was Raiden in PlayStation All Stars then? :lol

It is Twinsanity and yes it is really good.

And yeah the fact he's third party is sort of a legit reason. Yes some third party characters made it in the game, but obviously whoever holds the rights to the Crash IP wouldn't let Sony use it or at least not for a significant fee. They probably just charged too much for Sony to get Crash in the game.

You playing with a bad controller, or even a keyboard, would make perfect sense as to why you think those games are hard. I still replay DKC and Mario World about once a year or so, and they are easier than the Crash games. I think the divide that we're at comes from you thinking that Crash is difficult, which it kinda is. It's not balls-to-the-wall hard, but getting 100% in the Crash series is a bigger challange than the DKC series.

TheOGB

Banned
Okay, I'm not gonna say anything about DKC or SMW because I am notoriously shit at them both, but Crash 1 is more difficult to complete than Twinsanity. Twinsanity is pretty damn easy. Straight up, it's like a 5-7 hour game, and it does take a little bit of getting used to, but that's what fucking around in the open world is for. If you go through without going for gems it's cake, but even when you do grab the gems (which you should, because the concept art and bonus video you get are all great and funny) it's a lot more forgiving than Crash 1.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Okay, I'm not gonna say anything about DKC or SMW because I am notoriously shit at them both, but Crash 1 is more difficult to complete than Twinsanity. Twinsanity is pretty damn easy. Straight up, it's like a 5-7 hour game, and it does take a little bit of getting used to, but that's what fucking around in the open world is for. If you go through without going for gems it's cake, but even when you do grab the gems (which you should, because the concept art and bonus video you get are all great and funny) it's a lot more forgiving than Crash 1.

Don't agree. Aside from Slippery Climb and The Lab I'm stuggling to think of any stage in Crash 1 that offered much of a challenge(getting 100% not withstanding). I don't think Twinsanity was a particularly hard game either, but it puts up more of a fight than Crash 1 especially late on. Certain boss fights alone are harder than the entirety of Crash 1. Crash 1 is an even shorter game by the way...

Yeah, I struggled a bit on my first playthrough of Twinsanity; mostly those damn worms near the beginning, but it wasn't that hard. I've been playing Crash 1 today and getting from Rolling Stones to Boulder Dash was like an exercise in frustration for me. Everything is out to kill you just slightly off screen half the time. I've never played it before, but have seen some videos of a few levels. Turns out Road to Nowhere, which I expected to be nightmarish, was the easiest level for me out of the levels I played due to the fact it was fair.

Crash was one of my most favorite mascots during the PS1 era. It's a shame that Sony lost him with the whole licensing fiasco as I really thought if the Crash franchise stayed Sony exclusive we would of seen some really cool things with each gen's new technology.

TheOGB

Banned
Everything is out to kill you just slightly off screen half the time.
Gotta say though, thematically, I love this about the series. Everybody and everything on the islands that isn't a bandicoot is trying to murder you, and it's apparent (even explicit in a few cases) but never too serious. Crash 1's difficulty, really, is fitting because of that. But it's ridiculous, it's hilarious.

zsidane

Great plateforming series. Played the first one in 1997 and loved it. Didn't like the second one and fell in love with the 3rd one (103% completed).

KTR was good but felt ok instead of good/great because it couldn't live up to Mario Kart.

Anyway, I would play again the 3rd one anyday!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah, I struggled a bit on my first playthrough of Twinsanity; mostly those damn worms near the beginning, but it wasn't that hard. I've been playing Crash 1 today and getting from Rolling Stones to Boulder Dash was like an exercise in frustration for me. Everything is out to kill you just slightly off screen half the time. I've never played it before, but have seen some videos of a few levels. Turns out Road to Nowhere, which I expected to be nightmarish, was the easiest level for me out of the levels I played due to the fact it was fair.

You've got to be kidding me. I mean......wow. Just wow. Come on guys, back me up here. Even if you think the game can get quite hard you've got to admit those stages are not even close to difficult. At all. And lol at those stages being unfair. Even Doulder Dash where you're running towards the screen gives you more than enough time to see when you've got to jump. Get better skills and reflexes.

Even Twinsanity, which is a game I adore, is a game that has more "unfair" aspects to the level design. Much more actually. Crash 1 is a lot of things. Unfair it is not.

TheOGB

Banned
Tried to play Crash 1 last night but the disc is scratched to hell (but doesn't look like it, at least, no more than any other PS1 game I have). The PSOne sounded like it was dying, that "old person frequently coughing and wheezing on their death bed" kind of sound. Took more than a full minute to load, then froze trying to load the intro.

:c

Ha, Kurosaki talking about Crash 1's difficulty gave me a chuckle.

"I watched my mom play it, and I just said, ‘please, play Crash 2.’”

Top Bottom