• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy - Sewer or Later Gameplay

Vinc

Me at PSX: Wow, I'm so happy it looks this good. Not perfect, but still way better than I expected.

Me now: It's absolutely perfect.

Did they change crash's model between games? Crash 2's model looks different from the Crash 1 gameplay, doesn't it?

I can't wait for this. Hope they make a new one afterwards!

farisr

I'm fine with people complaining about something they don't think looks right, it might even be helpful as VV seems to be listening to fan feedback, the problem is using hyperbole and going the extra hundred miles by saying "I'm pissed off people are fine with this" and "This is beyond horrible", that doesn't help.
Yeah. There's critiquing and then there's just being rude/brash. Some of the negative posts made in this thread came off as entitled & whiny, whereas they would've been taken as constructive criticism if worded properly.

SNURB

I'm fine with people complaining about something they don't think looks right, it might even be helpful as VV seems to be listening to fan feedback, the problem is using hyperbole and going the extra hundred miles by saying "I'm pissed off people are fine with this" and "This is beyond horrible", that doesn't help.

Constructive criticism is one thing but pretty much talking shit about all the effort they've put into this is just not right, and considering that Oney's working in an industry similar to VV (media/entertainment) is just mean-spirited and asinine.

Look, I'm all for critiques (I'm an artist myself) but Oney is one of those people who falls into cynicism and just shits on everything. Yea, he's a fan but I feel like his criticisms lean more towards boycott propaganda than anything else. I dunno, maybe I'm reading too deep into this.

Pizza

I feel like the way the lighting effects boxes and Crash could use some more refinement, I think if they popped more and werent necessarily actually lit by the environment it'd fix a ton of problems

Just make those two things get darker or lighter in general when going into dim places like the original, rather than having realistic shadows coming from the floor, which get blocked by Crash's nose and make his eyes look worse than they really are.

Gameplay looks perfect though, level design is spot on. I'm probably going to grab this day one!

I hope they reuse these assets to make a CTR game. I wouldnt mind if it wasnt a straight remake either.

Not only the lightning looks odd on crash himself, there are sections in that video where the boxes look not lit up at all. It's really odd.

When he said "realistic lighting" i was super confused. was he looking at what i was?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I was actually just playing some Crash 2 on Vita so I've got the OG gameplay fresh in mind. This looks really, really good. I think I might even get it day one.

dreamfall

This looks so smooth. Makes me nostalgic for the days of being much younger and experiencing the wonders of Crash again!

Zaventem

FHLTcdJ.jpg

How can anyone think that this is actually acceptable? It looks fucking atrocious. They seriously need to hire a better lighting person.

It looks pre-pre alpha

looks like a shitty mobile game.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SO ready for these games!!!!!

Has it been said if there will be one trophy list encompassing all 3 games, or will each one have their own trophy list + platinum?

I'm hoping the latter, since i loved getting the 3 platinums in the Jak and Daxter Collection on PS3.

Artstyle lacks the charm of the original, UI is bland and the animations are off and a bit floaty.

The gameplay seems to be incredibly faithful though and that's what matters the most so good job.

Granted, they didn't have to change Crash 2 at all because it's already one of the best platformers ever, they just had to make it 60fps.

Charm might be lacking, I think Crash looks a bit different in this. Gameplay seems exactly as all those years ago true.

Skidd

I think what irks me the most with the footage they've shown is the lack of color. The colors in the remake do not seem to have the same level of vibrance which causes assets to mesh together/ feel bland or as others might describe it: washed out.

Things just don't pop enough, and I'm not pointing this out just for artistic but for gameplay reasons as well. For instance, I could see people with color blindness having trouble distinguishing when the water is electrified. The bonus level's platforms in the original have cool blue hue beneath them which makes them stand out more and adds a tiny bit of more character. Overall the remake's visuals (mostly the colors and lightning) lack "oomphf" and could use a bit more polish to reach the more saturated look of the original.

I can understand why they wouldn't have the time to fix these things so I'm not gonna let that bother me too much. This is still better than anyone could have possibly hoped for and I'm super excited to play this.

pixelation

Stage looks amazing, as always. I do miss the swampiness of the old water. That sewer water's cleaner than some rivers, lol.
While I'm on the side that you're being a bit hyperbolic, I agree when it comes to the lighting on Crash's model, particularly his eyes. They NEED to remain lit, or white. Having them have that weird shadow on their curvature is bizzare.

Ditto on the eyes thing... i mean at first (and second glance) i thought they had made his eyes blue, then realized it's a weird effect caused by the lighting. They should remain lit (the eyes) like in the OG games, but that's my only pet peeve... oh and make the sewer water look dingier and not as pristine like.

Zubz

Banned
This is genuinely my 3rd most anticipated game this year. Seeing how the only 2 ahead of it are Mario Odyssey & Sonic Mania, I can confidently say this is going to be a great year for platformers!

HardRojo

It looks great, but the animation for the bear is not as "energetic" as it was in the OG. Also i'm just now starting to notice why the wumpa fruit looks off... instead of being predomenantly red like in the OG games now they look predomenantly yellow, i hope they fix that it should be a really easy fix (i think?).
If some little details are present at release, I hope VV will be able to keep patching the game and offering post launch support similar to what GG is doing with Horizon.

cereal_killerxx

Have they fixed saving in these games? I'm assuming you can use the analog stick now? Difficulty still uneven in these games? Any other improvements?

The game looks good considering they're remastering the whole trilogy.

Throwing in analog control will make it hard to go back to the original games.

farisr

Have they fixed saving in these games? I'm assuming you can use the analog stick now? Difficulty still uneven in these games? Any other improvements?
-They have said they reworked the save system.

-Yes there is analog stick control now. No idea about difficulty changes.

-Time Trials are now featured in all three games (rather than just Warped).

Other than that, aside from the obvious graphical, cutscene etc improvements. Nothing has specifically been talked about from their end. The one change/improvement that has been noticed non-gameplay related is Tawna at the end of bonus levels. In Crash 1 at the end of bonus levels, Tawna would just be standing there, which didn't make sense story-wise. Now rather than just standing there, Cortex takes her away just as soon as you're finishing the level. A very minor, non-gameplay related change, but it shows that they're looking at everything (and earlier builds did have her just standing there as well like the original). If they changed something small like that, I wonder what other changes we'll end up finding in the final release.

FHLTcdJ.jpg

How can anyone think that this is actually acceptable? It looks fucking atrocious. They seriously need to hire a better lighting person.

It looks pre-pre alpha

perhaps it is just low res?
I hope they're high. Some company is releasing statues of classic Crash and Spyro soon.
i know everybody grew up with crash as their playstation mascot, but i played more of spyro 1. i'm gonna get the nsane trilogy regardless but i would be even happier with a spyro remade trilogy

Top Bottom