• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

crisis core: good game, awful story.

funkypie

Banned
with the announcement of FF7 remake, it got me thinking of the whole compilation. As many have said in the thread, I hope they leave this shit out of the remake.

crisis core's story was awful, especially the retcon of sephiroth losing the plot at the reactor by genesis's poems.

It did make me appreciate zack more but the game did a disservice to FF7 imo.

I still think shinra were stupid in both games for sending sephiroth to that reactor when all the evidence was for all to see.

Never played dirge so can't comment on that.

Neff

Angeal is welcome to appear.

Genesis, Loveless, and Hollander I really don't want.

Cissnei I don't really care about either way.

awful story.

No, it's a great story. It just has some unfortunate bloat, which I'm willing to overlook because what it does well, it does very well.

anaron

Zack is the most overrated, forced upon character in CC

he's an uppity Cloud redux and everything he touches magically influenced VII. trash

Razmos

Genesis Rhapsodos is seriously the most cringe worthy try-hard emo name I have ever heard, I swear.

I thought it was a joke/parody when I first heard of the character (yesterday)

I enjoyed the story in broad strokes. The overall plot was engaging. The writing and handling of some of the more intimate or emotional scenes were pretty bad, though.

I heard its the other way around.

Play for the story, stomach the bland/bad gameplay.

I started the game on Normal, got about to the part where I got the Buster as Zack and restarted on Hard because the game was too easy for me. I enjoyed it much much better after the difficulty change.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

he's an uppity Cloud redux and everything he touches magically influenced VII. trash
Huh?

You do know that Zack wasn't conceived for the sake of Crisis Core right? He was part of the original game (although he was only seen in flashbacks).

Sephzilla

RJwuu78.gif

Elman

Yeah, it would be best if SE left Crisis Core in some alternate universe and just stuck with Zack's backstory from FF7.

I'm still waiting to hear more about the part where Crisis Core was a good game.

EDIT: to be fair, it had a few good ideas (gameplay wise) and I'll even give credit for outdoing Lightning Returns in terms of combat and a variety of abilities...but that's not saying much.

Xis

I loved Crisis Core, played through it twice back-to-back (which I almost never do). I was so pumped that I went back and replayed FFVII; I certainly enjoyed it but I honestly think the story was presented much better in CC.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Fun game, great story with some awful throw in elements (Genesis is such a stupid addition to the story and the only true negative about it all). The ending though makes up for any faults of the game.

Also the music was INSANELY Good. the end credit roll had me in tears with how well done the music is. If they can hit that level of music for the FF7 remake, I'll be very happy.

Steel

Banned

You realize everything Zack "Magically influnenced" was credited to him in the original FF7, right? Well, except Genesis, but fuck Genesis. That was unnecessary bloat.

It's easily the best FF7 compilation thing out of all of them. It's fun, has great graphics and music, zack is likable, but the story doesn't make any more sense than the original game or AC or DoC. They're all bad.

Sydle

Agreed, OP, but it's all worth it to have played as Zack for a few hours. He's better than Cloud in every way.

Karkador

Banned
Somewhere along the timeline, the Nomura side of Square Enix went all in on "pseudo philosophical wankery" (as seen, but not understood, in the Kingdom Hearts series), and Crisis Core is no exception. Advent Children, too, for that matter.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Really? I thought it was tripe, over cliche and had some poor choice of music for the death of a beloved chatacter.

I liked Crisis Core but I didn't like how they introduced Genesis, Angeal and twisted a lot of the story. I was really disappointed that the fight against the dragon on the journey to Nibelheim didn't happen. I hope this doesn't cross over into the story of the FFVII remake.
It already crossed over I to the flash backs of Advent Children:

Riding on car heading towards Midgar
**Through the eyes of a Mako poisoned Cloud**
Zack Turns to face Cloud
"Cloud were friends right?"

This isn't how it played out in the flashbacks of the original game so I expect them to te adjust those to the events that took place in Crisis Core.

daveo42

Banned
I'd hope the original story remains untouched, but I'm guessing we will see the whole host of characters at some point or another in Remake. Some good, some very bad. I did like the story, but some characters were insufferable. I'd be fine with some of that CC final battle and ending in FF7R. Could all be covered in the optional flashback section.

Edit: As for the gameplay, I remember a ton of missions all blending together with next to no real relevance on anything outside of a few choice story missions.

Yeah, I agree, but it's not a popular opinion. They turned Zack from some chump who died to two grunts into some huge badass at the expense of Cloud's character. I thought the original point of him was to show how broken Cloud was, for his mind to pick a confident weakling to copy when he was already stronger then him.

Them going with this is one of the reasons why I really didn't want a FF7 remake. What are they going to do now, have Zack pop up in the middle and save Aeris, then at the end to be the one that actually kills Sephiroth?

Crisis Core lost me when fucking Genesis showed up barely off screen in one of FF7's most iconic scenes. He was tolerable as a minor antagonist in the prologue to the Nibelheim incident, but the second half of the game takes a big steaming shit on the canon.

Ending's great, though.

Cloud is literally a Zack redux in Final Fantasy VII and Zack's actions in Nibelheim set up everything that happens in the original game. That's always been the case. Have you not played FF7?

EDIT: On my phone, sorry for the double post.

AwShucks

I enjoyed it. It was fun for the most part and being not FF7 Remake I didn't really care too much about the story and was just having fun. The final cutscenes are amazing but the final boss took me FOREVER. It wasn't hard it was just long.

Cloud is literally a Zack redux in Final Fantasy VII and Zack's actions in Nibelheim set up everything that happens in the original game. That's always been the case. Have you not played FF7?

EDIT: On my phone, sorry for the double post.

I don't think you understand what they are saying. Yes, he was a side character in the original game, but they overdid his influence on everything in CC.

Well either that or I didn't understand what they were saying.

Neff

To be fair I can see why Genesis exists in the game. They needed an antagonist to fill Sephiroth's shoes while Sephiroth is (for the most part) still a good guy. It's just that Genesis is an inferior substitute in every single way, and Nomura's Gackt fixation made it awkward as hell.

Hollander's no Hojo either.

I don't think you understand what they are saying. Yes, he was a side character in the original game, but they overdid his influence on everything in CC.

Zack pretty much is FFVII 's smarter, cooler, more badass Forrest Gump, it has to be said.

RedAssedApe

Banned
average game but it was a psp title so it was designed with portability in mind (like the psp metal gears). awful story. best parts were due to nostalgia from ff7. Zack was a decent character though.

crisis core's story was awful, especially the retcon of sephiroth losing the plot at the reactor by genesis's poems.
Yeah. Terrible.

Gameplay is fun imo, but the difficulty is wack. I can't remember if normal was too easy, but I remember hard mode was complete BS. Fake difficulty at its finest. The bosses had insane amounts of HP and fighting became a chore. I quit the game near the end on my hard difficulty play through.

Xion_Stellar

The best moments for me was abusing the system to do 9999 Damage per Gobling Punch,everything that transpired in Nibelheim,and finally beating the optional Final Boss Minerva.

antitrop

It felt like playing through a fanfiction. I didn't like or dislike the story, I was pretty indifferent to it, it wasn't even interesting and FF7 is my favorite game ever.

zoodoo

the story was good. The cut scenes were amazing. The gameplay was boooooooooooring
The whole commentator thing while you're fighting made it worse. I finished it just for the story.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I distinctly recall the opposite being the case when it comes to crisis core.

While the story has some issues, and has that early 2000 anime kinda vibe going on with it, it's a solid story that makes you care about the characters, the dialogue is clumsy and downright stupid at times it gets the point across. Over all though it manages to still hit the emotional notes it was trying to go for, also the ending is quite amazing.

The gameplay on the other hand is nothing to write home about, it's basically ultra watered down kingdom hearts gameplay, materia management and fusion is engaging enough but the actual battles felt rather shallow with a big difficulty spike here and there.

MogCakes

Zack is great as a side character and mentor/brother to Cloud. He should stay that way. CC made him way more important than he really is. His VII appearance is still the best one. Capable, important, but ultimately just a cog in the greater workings of Cloud's backstory.

As he should be.

Top Bottom