• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat soul vs soulles Resident Evil 4 Remake

Madflavor

Uh oh...

AaLkCRn.png

Someone couldn't handle getting called out on his bullshit. I'm sure he didn't get any sleep last night.

In GAF's old days when a GOTY contender dropped, everybody was celebrating. Nowadays not just here but everywhere, it's all about how the newest popular game sucks.

Tears of the Kingdom will suck. FFXVI will suck. Diablo IV will suck. Everything sucks. No fun allowed! Because we are edgy and really need Youtube views.
Did you know that as a child develops, one of the first ways they are able to push their own will on the world is by saying, "No!"? Coming up with new ideas that add to the world is hard and outside the capabilities of a toddler, but being contrary is easy.

Haters who do nothing but hate are toddlers.

kunonabi

Man the OG version looks way better. There is something about Leon's new model in the remake I just don't like, and I feel he is a much cooler character in the original.
The changes to some of the cut scenes are kind of weird as well. I wonder if they just didn't have the time or budget.
Also the UI, too many games doing this generic UI these days.
He looks like David Hyde Pierce now.

simpatico

There are some points here, it's just not nearly as dramatic as most of his videos. I think a lot of it comes down to resolution. RE4 was 640x480. If you just upres the same art to 4k it's going to look barren. R4make still has the quirk we all love from Japanese devs. A better use of such a comparison would be Demon's Souls, where all the quirk and character was ejected for Battlefield-esque photorealism.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He's completely right, the atmosphere is much softer and everything is censored compared to the original... This remake is just a tasteless graphical upgrade, the original is and will remain the best version of the game .

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

OG RE4 is always going to be the better game for me too, but some of these takes, man ...

Last edited:

More seriously, here are a couple of in-depth videos that explain why gameplay wise the game is inferior to the original:

Great comparison except for the fact that REmake is infact superior to the original in every way.

Wrong:

I saw these videos the videos

More seriously, here are a couple of in-depth videos that explain why gameplay wise the game is inferior to the original:

Great comparison except for the fact that REmake is infact superior to the original in every way.

Wrong:

I saw these videos the other day. This electric underground guy is properly channeling his inner doucebag.

By all means critise the game but get the get the fuck outta here with these baseless attacks.

Millennial game designers, lacking integrity, game is just cash grab?? Piss off they literally add nothing to his arguments and make him look like asshole.

Finally adding a durability meter to the knife is one of best things capcom did with the remake. In the og it literally breaks the resource management 1 handgun bullet is all you need to kill 90% of the enemies you will have enough ammo to blow away half of Spain by the end of the village. It's not even that fun to use you just awkwardly stand over a dude and swipe away. Doesn't feel good and flow well with the rest of the combat.

It feels and mechanically works far better in the remake.

Luigi Mario

Changing the video title and description is as disingenuous as it gets, but that is not surprising when your comparison isn’t well received like your usual old game good, new game bad and you get the slightest pushback.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
At least stand by your shit take. I didn’t click the video but I assume he explained his reasoning well even if folks don’t agree.

To completely change the title and description means even YOU yourself don’t believe what you’re spouting. It’s 100% just click bait view horse shit.

I watch a smaller creator on YT who doesn’t like the remake, and I totally disagree but he has a strong reasoning. He also doesn’t ever back pedal.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
At least stand by your shit take. I didn’t click the video but I assume he explained his reasoning well even if folks don’t agree.
His reasoning involves not being able to see Ashley's panties anymore, and manipulating the remake's audio to fit his narrative. So just sayin'.

Doom85

In GAF's old days when a GOTY contender dropped, everybody was celebrating. Nowadays not just here but everywhere, it's all about how the newest popular game sucks.

Tears of the Kingdom will suck. FFXVI will suck. Diablo IV will suck. Everything sucks. No fun allowed! Because we are edgy and really need Youtube views.

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Like, I’m skipping TotK because I didn’t care for BotW’s weapon durability aspect, but BOTW is obviously an incredibly detailed and content rich game that shouldn’t be hard to tell what makes it such a beloved game for many. Nier Automata was my GOTY for 2017 instead, but likewise I know that won’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

But there’s a difference between acknowledging you weren’t personally into something, versus trying to rip it to shreds for flimsy reasons. And when one has to resort to such extremely subjective and personal terms like “soulless”, it comes off as pathetic when that person in the same video tries to come up with a genuine critique yet makes it clear they’re somewhat biased against what they’re “reviewing”, possibly even before they began playing it.

Like, I’m sure certain fans upset Resident Evil was moving on from the 1, 2, 3, CV and 0 style of gameplay tried to paint the original RE 4 as “a bad game” back in 2005 despite knowing deep down it really isn’t and it just wasn’t they particularly wanted from the series. The latter is fine, but people shouldn’t be hating on something purely for being different.

I criticize Paper Mario: Sticker Star but it’s not solely for being such a departure from the first two Paper Mario games that I love (especially since Super Paper Mario already did that, and was pretty good in spite of that). No, I just feel the gameplay design was uninteresting, and worse the game is designed so you’re better off not fighting most battles as saving certain Stickers was very helpful in beating bosses. A game designed for me to actively avoid its gameplay is bad game design IMHO, and not purely because it’s not like the first two games.

Killer8

Uh oh...

AaLkCRn.png

Someone couldn't handle getting called out on his bullshit. I'm sure he didn't get any sleep last night.

He's not doing this to save face or anything like that. It's sarcasm to fuck around not only with the Remake fans, but also the discussion as a whole.

The video has not changed. It is identical. He is still just showing a back and forth comparison between the two and letting people form their own conclusion. The change of the title and video description is immaterial, because the audience was meant to be coming to their own conclusions anyway.

Or at least, it should have been immaterial. If a title and description change is enough to re-contextualize the entire identical comparison to mean that Remake is actually gooder than the original, and Crowbcat is a good guy with good opinions, then that's actually kind of pathetic. It shows that people care more about the mean things he said about the Remake in a sliver of text than the actual comparison.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He's not doing this to save face or anything like that. It's sarcasm to fuck around not only with the Remake fans, but also the discussion as a whole.

The video has not changed. It is identical. He is still just showing a back and forth comparison between the two and letting people form their own conclusion. The change of the title and video description is immaterial, because the audience was meant to be coming to their own conclusions anyway.

Or at least, it should have been immaterial. If a title and description change is enough to re-contextualize the entire identical comparison to mean that Remake is actually gooder than the original, and Crowbcat is a good guy with good opinions, then that's actually kind of pathetic. It shows that people care more about the mean things he said about the Remake in a sliver of text than the actual comparison.
Shouldn't even have to say this, but of course it has to be spelled out.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Sorry but there's no 4D chess being played here. Dude got hammered with thumbs down and is trying to salvage things. Flat out. Dare I say it...soulless.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
He's mocking the hypersensitivity of R4make fans. Super obviously.

The guy barely even puts out videos. I dont think he lives or dies on thumbs up.
Ah yes, the hypersensitivity of the fans, of the best reviewed game in 2023. We truly need to shut down a rando on Youtube otherwise sales will tank!

Madflavor

No shit. We’re mocking the fact that it shows how thin skinned and petty he got for being called out.

I found re4 remake amazing. The “soul” is there? Maybe different than the actual OG one, but if you like that one more why not just play that. It’s totally subjective.

Killer8

Sorry but there's no 4D chess being played here. Dude got hammered with thumbs down and is trying to salvage things. Flat out. Dare I say it...soulless.

It's not 4D chess, he knew how the video would go down and is having some fun with the audience's reaction. Seems to have worked based on how wound up people are getting about the change.

The way he put out the video with the original title meant that down-voting was inevitable. RE4 Remake is so hot right now, after all. It doesn't mean that it's immune to criticism though, and those were his true thoughts about how the two versions compared.

If he originally put the video out with this new title, that would've gotten a much better reaction from the audience. But it wouldn't have been his true thoughts on the matter, just a Clinton style public vs private opinion.

If he put the video out with a completely neutral title, casting no judgement in either direction - just the raw comparison that it was meant to be - the audience would very likely still jump on him. Why? Because his comparisons have typically shown one version in a more negative light, so why would this one be different. He'd get people saying "you're just making the Remake look bad here" - without any shred of self-awareness that perhaps the game is actually just worse in many regards.

He cannot win no matter how he titled the video and very likely knew this. Hell, I think he should've trolled the Remake fans harder and done the opposite - call it a masterpiece first and then switch out the title after he'd gotten the overwhelmingly positive likes.

Bartski

Gold Member
I saw these videos the videos

I saw these videos the other day. This electric underground guy is properly channeling his inner doucebag.

By all means critise the game but get the get the fuck outta here with these baseless attacks.

Millennial game designers, lacking integrity, game is just cash grab?? Piss off they literally add nothing to his arguments and make him look like asshole.

Finally adding a durability meter to the knife is one of best things capcom did with the remake. In the og it literally breaks the resource management 1 handgun bullet is all you need to kill 90% of the enemies you will have enough ammo to blow away half of Spain by the end of the village. It's not even that fun to use you just awkwardly stand over a dude and swipe away. Doesn't feel good and flow well with the rest of the combat.

It feels and mechanically works far better in the remake.
I tried watching it but had to stop when he started explaining how knife slashing stunned enemies on the ground is the peak genius melee mechanic and how they ruined it in the remake. But I mean, to each of their own, there is no point debating taste for vintage gameplay, I do share some of it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Honestly this is a brilliant video. I rarely see someone touch on so many of the concepts I prioritize when discussing games (pacing, control responsiveness, visual clarity). He actually acknowledged that the game is so visually cluttered that he is getting lost, and the developers have to highlight the path for the player artificially. Something I bring up in other games all the time.

It never occurred to me that the majority of players these days do not even speak the same language as me when discussing games, and his example of remake culture philosophy explains a lot. This is exactly how I felt trying to discuss Elden Ring on here and my issues with the combat and controls.

small_law

When I played RE4 for the first time twenty years ago, I distinctly remember thinking that parts of the ambient soundtrack was grating. Howling wind and thunderstorms especially. There was no dynamic no ebb and flow since the audio looped, just a full tilt storm blasting in your ears as you explored. It got annoying in places.

Haven't played the remake and the video makes it seem like there's no ambient noise, no soundtrack. Is it just that quiet? Is it an atmosphere thing?

Also, wow, is the original game's color palette really that dull? I never noticed before. Video games' brown era was years later. Hardware limitations or I'm spoiled by modern lighting?

Don't get me wrong, RE4 is one of my all-time favorites, one of the true greats. My roommates and I played mercenaries in shifts until we got five stars with everyone. The little details were amazing.

But it wasn't thematically or technically perfect. And cranking it all up to 11 only worked once for RE as a franchise; RE5 took all the kitsch seriously and it was a mess.

StueyDuck

I see the thread and gamer reaction has already devolved into the classic 12 year old best/worst video ever 🤣

On topic I thought the video was interesting. Some changes are definitely better but it also shows the difference between games made today vs then. How cutscenes are structured and the stories are told.

Also realistic modern graphics can diminish artistic atmosphere and so.

Overall it doesn't make either game better or worse. They are both amazing but it's definitely an interesting case study

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
while we're at it, here is a really good RE4 video from a youtuber with integrit'o'meter pointer locked in the red

hemo memo

Gold Member
The remake is a listen to how to do remakes well. This is the best case of faithful yet modernized remakes I have ever seen. It is everything about the original but better. He is mixing soul with nostalgia.

Honestly this is a brilliant video. I rarely see someone touch on so many of the concepts I prioritize when discussing games (pacing, control responsiveness, visual clarity). He actually acknowledged that the game is so visually cluttered that he is getting lost, and the developers have to highlight the path for the player artificially. Something I bring up in other games all the time.

It never occurred to me that the majority of players these days do not even speak the same language as me when discussing games, and his example of remake culture philosophy explains a lot. This is exactly how I felt trying to discuss Elden Ring on here and my issues with the combat and controls.
Same. it is like most people only care about how modern the mechanics are. Everything else that doesnt play by the same standardised controls becomes niche and then you get the modern gaming landscape.

He changed the video's title after backlash...

This video confirms he's a 4chan board user btw
"this video we're looking at how the Resident Evil 4 Remake improved over the original while still keeping the soul."

I dont even care about this dude, but Is your sarcasm detector broken?

Anywah it doesmt matter. The video already blew up. Doubt he gives a shit about any backlash.

Draugoth

Gold Member

The fuck are you talking about?

"this video we're looking at how the Resident Evil 4 Remake improved over the original while still keeping the soul.

If that was the original video description, he changed it. He clearly released this video with the intent of showing the remake is inferior to the original.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Anywah it doesmt matter. The video already blew up. Doubt he gives a shit about any backlash.

You’re like the third person who seems to think we’re not aware that he was being sarcastic prick about the title change. The point is that the backlash did get to him to an extent, enough, so that he lashed out.

The guy has been getting nothing but praise for the past few years, so this was a blow to his ego.

Generic

I tried watching it but had to stop when he started explaining how knife slashing stunned enemies on the ground is the peak genius melee mechanic and how they ruined it in the remake. But I mean, to each of their own, there is no point debating taste for vintage gameplay, I do share some of it.
You need to account character placement and timing to slash enemies on the ground.

He's completely right, the atmosphere is much softer and everything is censored compared to the original... This remake is just a tasteless graphical upgrade, the original is and will remain the best version of the game .
Yet the game is way gorier than the original and the level and world design is often vastly different.

It's almost as if...as if...you didn't even play the game but formed your nonsensical opinion on random snippets of footage and retroactively fit it into your preconceived rage.

Bad Job GIF by Judge Judy

If that was the original video description, he changed it. He clearly released this video with the intent of showing the remake is inferior to the original.

Thats the new description. I didnt read the first one, but seeing how he now is claiming the remake is superior, while before you could argue it was the opposite (soul vs soulles), shows imo that him 180ing his opinion so blatantly and drastically, probably is sarcasm.
You’re like the third person who seems to think we’re not aware that he was being sarcastic prick about the title change. The point is that the backlash did get to him to an extent, enough, so that he lashed out.

The guy has been getting nothing but praise for the past few years, so this was a blow to his ego.

You could argue that the thin skinned folks are people who got triggered by the comparison in the first place. Goes both ways.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

NO! Random Youtube man with poor arguments is right! I AM NOT A SHEEPLE! I AM NOT A SHEEP! Let me go back to Fortnite!

SaintALia

Ha, so he changed the title and description eh?

I first watched the video and didn't like the direction the game took, but it seemed it turned out well anyway. I saw the Crowbcat video and thought maybe they had something I wasn't seeing and maybe it did fuck up some things.

But watching the video fully, I was just scratching my head. The audio stuff, even if the comparison was unfair because he lowered the remake volume, it was mostly down to different direction. Most of the changes were down to different direction overall. The remake is leaning far more towards horror than the OG. Yeah you do miss some stylistic UI flair as well but I dunno man.

About the only thing I can say is a big deal is the Ganado interaction with the player and themselves. In the OG they seemed more like something out of a Lovecraft book, like a possessed cult than zombies, whereas in the remake they seem more like smartish zombies. But I wonder if that's just selective editing at play and that they merely excluded those Ganado scenes to make their point.

Still tho, that total 180 on the title and description is pretty hilarious.

Last edited:
If I had done this remake I would've slapped hanging lanterns everywhere because they rule but are entirely too infrequent.

Hire me Capcom, I give no fucks about balance!

Draugoth

Gold Member

soul vs soulless is a term used a lot in the /v/ boards for remake/remaster comparassion.

Ha, so he changed the title and description eh?

I first watched the video and didn't like the direction the game took, but it seemed it turned out well anyway. I saw the Crowbcat video and thought maybe they had something I wasn't seeing and maybe it did fuck up some things.

But watching the video fully, I was just scratching my head. The audio stuff, even if the comparison was unfair because he lowered the remake volume, it was mostly down to different direction. Most of the changes were down to different direction overall. The remake is leaning far more towards horror than the OG. Yeah you do miss some stylistic UI flair as well but I dunno man.

About the only thing I can say is a big deal is the Ganado interaction with the player and themselves. In the OG they seemed more like something out of a Lovecraft book, like a possessed cult than zombies, whereas in the remake they seem more like smartish zombies. But I wonder if that's just selective editing at play and that they merely excluded those Ganado scenes to make their point.

Still tho, that total 180 on the title and description is pretty hilarious.

Both games are excellent, if he wanted to piss on Resident Evil he should have done a RE3 vs RE3R video instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom