• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - PC modding and tweaking

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Are you using some kind of OSD injected, like MSI Afterburner.... maybe it's a compatibility issue with injector SMAA. Levels 4 and 5 of AA use SMAA injector.

Nope nothing like that at all, had fraps running but tried without that and the results were the same.

scitek

Nope nothing like that at all, had fraps running but tried without that and the results were the same.

Yeah it even works for me while running FRAPS (which is pointless since it can't take screens at the res I'm playing). You have a GTX 670 too, don't you? I'm using the same drivers as you. I noticed my framerate drop straight to 20 from 30 at one point and that's how I knew triple buffering wasn't on. I alt-entered twice and I got 28fps.

I wonder if it has anything to do with me booting the game in windowed mode and then alt-entering it to fullscreen every time I play. That avoids the infamous 1080p24 problem CryEngine has.

Corky

Yeah it even works for me while running FRAPS (which is pointless since it can't take screens at the res I'm playing). You have a GTX 670 too, don't you? I'm using the same drivers as you. I noticed my framerate drop straight to 20 from 30 at one point and that's how I knew triple buffering wasn't on. I alt-entered twice and I got 28fps.

I wonder if it has anything to do with me booting the game in windowed mode and then alt-entering it to fullscreen every time I play. That avoids the infamous 1080p24 problem CryEngine has.

Yeah I'm on a 670 as well. Well, for what it's worth my framerate doesn't go to 20 directly, it goes to 29-28-27 etc, does that mean it's triplebuffered? I'm still getting screentearing tho. So weird.

scitek

Yeah I'm on a 670 as well. Well, for what it's worth my framerate doesn't go to 20 directly, it goes to 29-28-27 etc, does that mean it's triplebuffered? I'm still getting screentearing tho. So weird.

Well, it means it's not vsync'd. If it were vsync'd and not triple buffered, that's when it would dip to divisors (?) of your refresh rate. So at 60Hz, anything below 60fps goes straight to 30, below 30 to 20, etc. If you turn on Vsync through inspector, and it still stays at 29-28 and so forth, then triple buffering is on.

For the record, I've always gotten tearing with TB and no vsync. I've seen claims it works, but I always use vsync with everything and adjust to the input lag (using a controller helps).

thefit

Just tried it and damn it looks nice I get a bit of stuttering when its doing cutscene stuf but other wise runs almost as great at in the ultra settings.

Corky

Hey Maldo, I don't know if this is related to the mod or not ( never happened to me before ) but for some reason I can't start the chapter Semper Fi or Die, the game just goes to a black screen. I tried replaying the chapter from scratch and reaching it in a new campaign and neither worked. Very weird.

Anyone know how to get the Afterburner OSD/G19 Framerate display to work with MaLDoHD v4??

I think it's the SweetFX or SMAA injector that is causing it not to work.

MaLDo

Hey Maldo, I don't know if this is related to the mod or not ( never happened to me before ) but for some reason I can't start the chapter Semper Fi or Die, the game just goes to a black screen. I tried replaying the chapter from scratch and reaching it in a new campaign and neither worked. Very weird.

The last export of the map did some problems and that map doesn't work in the beta. Will be fixed in the final version, sorry.

Sysgen

The SSAA tool works and I get the desired higher resolution but mouse positioning is way off. Checked the mouse and window "fix" boxes at the beginning but they have no effect.

I'm having a weird problem with Crysis 2. For some reason it is suddenly opening at 1024x300 resolution and in-game I can't set the resolution, the field is just blank.

I tried putting my desired resolution in my autoexec but that doesn't do anything. I did just upgrade to Windows 8 but that hasn't caused problems with any other games so I'm not sure why Crysis is acting up.

antti-la

I'm having a weird problem with Crysis 2. For some reason it is suddenly opening at 1024x300 resolution and in-game I can't set the resolution, the field is just blank.

I tried putting my desired resolution in my autoexec but that doesn't do anything. I did just upgrade to Windows 8 but that hasn't caused problems with any other games so I'm not sure why Crysis is acting up.

I also have annoying resolution issue with Win8, I think it worked fine earlier. Can't change resolution either.

With and without MaldoHD v4. same thing happens.

It can only be run windowed and looks like this.

Anybody know what's up with it?

I also have annoying resolution issue with Win8, I think it worked fine earlier. Can't change resolution either.

With and without MaldoHD v4. same thing happens.

It can only be run windowed and looks like this.

Anybody know what's up with it?

I'm not on Windows 8 anymore, but the only solution I found was to run in DX9 mode.

Corky

Is there any reason why my Afterburner wont work for Crysis 2? stopped working ever since I started using Maldo 4.

using the higher AA modes in the config disables stuff like afterburner and d3doverrider.

scitek

Is there any reason why my Afterburner wont work for Crysis 2? stopped working ever since I started using Maldo 4.

If you're using SMAA, it's because Afterburner works the same way and it's overriding it. If you need it for screens, just use the built-in SMAA function instead. The AA wouldn't show up in Afterburner's shots, anyway.

XOMTOR

Anyone know how to get the Afterburner OSD/G19 Framerate display to work with MaLDoHD v4??

I think it's the SweetFX or SMAA injector that is causing it not to work.

Yup, the D3D injectors will interfere with MSI's OSD as well as D3D Overrider.

For those having trouble getting their Afterburner OSD's to display, bring up the MSI On-Screen Display Server (Rivatuner) window from your task tray and click on the big "plus" sign on the bottom left and add the Crysis 2 EXE to the list. Make sure the "On screen Display Support" slider is set to ON. Now click on the wrench icon at the top right and place a check mark in the box labeled "Enable compatibiliy with modified Direct3D runtime libraries".

Rivatuner.gif

I have this game on both Origin and Steam now, although I haven't touched it since before the DX11 patch.

Why does the game run so much worse than I remember it? Is the DX11 stuff really that taxing? I remember being able to get a pretty decent 40-60 on mostly highest settings before, but now I have to play on all low (excuse me... High) to get that sort of framerate.

Any tweaks that I'm missing? Does the MaldoHD thing work for the Steam Maximum edition?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
My first time playing Crysis 2 and want to install the MamboHD 4.0 Beta Mod. OK so just to be clear, I have to create a new folder called mods into:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crysis 2 Game of the Year" and place the mod into that?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK guys I got the Maldo mod 4.0 Beta working. Good mod, but I have some questions...

1)Sorry this might a dumb question but Is there a way to start Crysis 2 with the MaldoMod *already* applied and activated, instead of having to start the game, go to mods, load MaldoMod and then restart the game? Kinda a pain in the ass having to re-start every time.

2)I have an nvidia EVGA FTW GTX680 with 4GB VRAM. Should I enable High Res Textures in the game's advance graphics options or leave it disabled while running MaldoMod?

3)What do you recommend turning down if I wanna maintain a rock 60fps and have MaldoMod still look great on my machine running Core i7 950@4.0Ghz/GTX680/6GB DDR3 Ram?

isamu

Well I have a bigger problem now....

The game crashes right in-between chapter 9: Dark Heart and chapter 10: Semper-Fi or Die. Right after the part where the flood sweeps Alcatraz away and then it goes into that nano-suit cutscene where Tony Todd is talking, I get a black screen and it just stays there forever. Is there anyway I can get around this? I have the Game of the Year edition on Steam. Help :(

scitek

OK guys I got the Maldo mod 4.0 Beta working. Good mod, but I have some questions...

1)Sorry this might a dumb question but Is there a way to start Crysis 2 with the MaldoMod *already* applied and activated, instead of having to start the game, go to mods, load MaldoMod and then restart the game? Kinda a pain in the ass having to re-start every time.

2)I have an nvidia EVGA FTW GTX680 with 4GB VRAM. Should I enable High Res Textures in the game's advance graphics options or leave it disabled while running MaldoMod?

3)What do you recommend turning down if I wanna maintain a rock 60fps and have MaldoMod still look great on my machine running Core i7 950@4.0Ghz/GTX680/6GB DDR3 Ram?

Well I have a bigger problem now....

The game crashes right in-between chapter 9: Dark Heart and chapter 10: Semper-Fi or Die. Right after the part where the flood sweeps Alcatraz away and then it goes into that nano-suit cutscene where Tony Todd is talking, I get a black screen and it just stays there forever. Is there anyway I can get around this? I have the Game of the Year edition on Steam. Help :(

1) add -mod maldohdv4 to the launch options in Steam.

2) Yes, enable high res textures, that way whatever textures Maldo hasn't replaced will be replaced by Crytek's instead. They'll work together fine.

3) I have my settings like this:

I have a 2GB GTX 670 and get 60fps most of the time. If you want fewer jaggies, use the next AA option up (though it blurs things more).

And unfortunately, in order to play that level you're stuck at right now, you'll have to play without Maldo's mod. There's a bug that breaks it in v4 that he's aware of and will fix once he releases the final version (The current version's a beta). Once you beat the stage, re-enable the mod.

Hope that helps.

isamu

1) add -mod maldohdv4 to the launch options in Steam.

2) Yes, enable high res textures, that way whatever textures Maldo hasn't replaced will be replaced by Crytek's instead. They'll work together fine.

3) I have my settings like this:

I have a 2GB GTX 670 and get 60fps most of the time. If you want fewer jaggies, use the next AA option up (though it blurs things more).

And unfortunately, in order to play that level you're stuck at right now, you'll have to play without Maldo's mod. There's a bug that breaks it in v4 that he's aware of and will fix once he releases the final version (The current version's a beta). Once you beat the stage, re-enable the mod.

Hope that helps.

To say that it helped would be an understatement my friend. Can't thank you enough for your reply. Much appreciated.

For the record, I did attempt to load my last save point *without* MaldoMod enabled, but it's right at the part where you're on this broken highway looking at the alien center nexus or whatever you want to call it, and Hardgreave tells you to get to high ground before the flood and board the helicopter. Problem is, as soon as the game loads without the mod, I fall into the abyss and die. When pressing enter, the game freezes. So looks like I might have to replay the entire chapter all over. *shrug* :(

scitek

To say that it helped would be an understatement my friend. Can't thank you enough for your reply. Much appreciated.

For the record, I did attempt to load my last save point *without* MaldoMod enabled, but it's right at the part where you're on this broken highway looking at the alien center nexus or whatever you want to call it, and Hardgreave tells you to get to high ground before the flood and board the helicopter. Problem is, as soon as the game loads without the mod, I fall into the abyss and die. When pressing enter, the game freezes. So looks like I might have to replay the entire chapter all over. *shrug* :(

Yeah, you may have to replay the stage again. :\ You can't resume from a checkpoint with a mod when you weren't playing with it in the first place and vice versa, unfortunately. Go to Campaign>Replay Mission and you can select that stage again.

MalDo himself says (in this very thread) that the stage that loads next after that cutscene (which is supposed to happen, a stage called "Semper Fi or Die") is bugged in the beta release and will be fixed in the final 4.0 release.

isamu

MalDo himself says (in this very thread) that the stage that loads next after that cutscene (which is supposed to happen, a stage called "Semper Fi or Die") is bugged in the beta release and will be fixed in the final 4.0 release.

Yeah I'm past that part now, but damn this game is getting on my nerves! It's crashing every so often at random even with no mods installed. I'll be in a heated fire fight and boom, "Crysis2.exe has stopped working". I know EA themselves didn't develop this game, but why does it seem every PC game they publish has some funky weird issues going on with either bugs or stability?

Sometimes I walk over an alien corpse and the game fails to provide me with any Nano-catalyst for example. It's annoying.

Yeah I'm past that part now, but damn this game is getting on my nerves! It's crashing every so often at random even with no mods installed. I'll be in a heated fire fight and boom, "Crysis2.exe has stopped working". I know EA themselves didn't develop this game, but why does it seem every PC game they publish has some funky weird issues going on with either bugs or stability?

Sometimes I walk over an alien corpse and the game fails to provide me with any Nano-catalyst for example. It's annoying.

how exactly did you manage to get past that part where the Flood kills you from missing the helicopter? I wanna finish Crysis 2 with MalDoHD 4 Beta...

isamu

how exactly did you manage to get past that part where the Flood kills you from missing the helicopter? I wanna finish Crysis 2 with MalDoHD 4 Beta...

I played it without the mod, and then just continued on without the mod til I finished the game.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm not on Windows 8 anymore, but the only solution I found was to run in DX9 mode.

Yep, this was the only solution I could find as well.

Had to boot the game up, and alt enter in to get full screen (since it boots up in a tiny stretched out window). Then I had to go in and disable Direct X 11. After doing that, I could reboot it, reset the game to my proper resolution, then run the mod.

Honestly, running the game in Direct X 9 + the MaLDo mod is much better than running it with 11 without the mod. To be frank, I'm shocked at how awful the textures are in this game running at stock. Game looks miles better using the MaLDo HD mod and running it at Max settings with Direct X 9

If only Windows 8 didn't have the darn 11 issues. =/

Ryoku

Had to boot the game up, and alt enter in to get full screen (since it boots up in a tiny stretched out window). Then I had to go in and disable Direct X 11. After doing that, I could reboot it, reset the game to my proper resolution, then run the mod.

Honestly, running the game in Direct X 9 + the MaLDo mod is much better than running it with 11 without the mod. To be frank, I'm shocked at how awful the textures are in this game running at stock. Game looks miles better using the MaLDo HD mod and running it at Max settings with Direct X 9

Yeah, I'm having this issue, as well, but I just can't get myself to move away from DX11 D:

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I'm having this issue, as well, but I just can't get myself to move away from DX11 D:

I mean, I tried playing the game on DX11 and it just looked really bad, once you've tried MaLDo's mod. I really do not know why, the textures look so poor, for a game like Crysis (which touts the best graphics).

I'm thinking of rolling back to Windows 7. I actually haven't had too many issues so far with it, but I honestly do not use the Live Tiles, and basically don't see a big enough of a difference to keep it. Was going to install a SSD + a new Mobo anyways. So might as well.

Ryoku

what do you lose with MALDO HD from DX11 to DX9 any comparison videos out there?

Crysis 2 does this weird thing where certain features that should be doable in DX9 are DX11-exclusive (such as parallax mapping), and also tessellation, which with MaldoHD, looks incredible.

Ryoku

I mean, I tried playing the game on DX11 and it just looked really bad, once you've tried MaLDo's mod. I really do not know why, the textures look so poor, for a game like Crysis (which touts the best graphics).

I'm thinking of rolling back to Windows 7. I actually haven't had too many issues so far with it, but I honestly do not use the Live Tiles, and basically don't see a big enough of a difference to keep it. Was going to install a SSD + a new Mobo anyways. So might as well.

I played the game with MaldoHD 3.0 + DX11. I downloaded and installed 4.0 (beta) after I got Windows 8, which is where I ran into the problem. Hopefully there will be some sort of fix for it, but I'm not dying to play Crysis 2 right now, as Crysis 3 is right around the corner. But I'd still love to replay certain areas in Crysis 2 DX11 with MaldoHD 4.0.

Mononoke

Banned
Crysis 2 does this weird thing where certain features that should be doable in DX9 are DX11-exclusive (such as parallax mapping), and also tessellation, which with MaldoHD, looks incredible.

Didn't know this. That's a real bummer. =/

I guess ignorance is bliss, as I think the game looks absolutely stunning running DX9 + MaLDo. But damn. I'm pretty sure I'll be rolling back to Windows 7 when I upgrade some of my parts in my build in a week or so. I guess I'll just hold off until then, so I can play this with DX11.

Hopefully they fix this issue though, for those that have Windows 8. Damn shame.

MaLDo

You can use DX11 in windows 8 lowering Antialiasing setting in MaLDoHD config tool.

Higher values use SweetFX injector with SMAA that has some compatibility issues with windows 8.

Mononoke

Banned
You can use DX11 in windows 8 lowering Antialiasing setting in MaLDoHD config tool.

Higher values use SweetFX injector with SMAA that has some compatibility issues with windows 8.

Oh wow, really!? Had no idea.

Do you know what is the max setting you can hit, before it triggers this problem? The options in the config are: Original FXAA or No Post AA Ingame +SMAA Ultra (I'm assuming it's one of those two, as they come before the Ultra + SweetFX). By the way, I'm extremely grateful for your mod. It really makes the game look jaw dropping.

EDIT: I got DX11 to work + MaLDo's HD mod by setting AA to "Original FXAA" in the config setting. HOLY HELL, it looks even better now. I'm floored. This + Ultra settings + DX11 is insane!

Ryoku

Really!? I'm going to try this as soon as I can tomorrow.

And thanks again for making the game incredibly gorgeous to look at :)

EDIT: I got DX11 to work + MaLDo's HD mod by setting AA to "Original FXAA" in the config setting. HOLY HELL, it looks even better now. I'm floored. This + Ultra settings + DX11 is insane!

FFFFFFUUUUUUU I gotta try this NOW!

Computron

I believe this is due to them trying to make these effects compatible with the deferred shading in Crysis 2.
So while things like POM may have worked just fine with Dx9 Crysis's deferred lighting, the effect would need to be rewritten to work in deferred shading.
Some things are either impossible or just easier to do if you leave them out of dx9.

This quirk actually goes both ways sometimes. SSR was pushed as a DX11 only feature with that patch when it came out, although it actually worked in Dx9 as well (until the last couple builds of Cryengine/SDK when it became Dx11 only again)

Mononoke

Banned
Really!? I'm going to try this as soon as I can tomorrow.

And thanks again for making the game incredibly gorgeous to look at :)

FFFFFFUUUUUUU I gotta try this NOW!

I think MaLDo's mod auto sets graphics to EXTREME for performance reasons (I could be wrong, so please don't take my word as fact, and I apologize if I'm wrong). But at least that is the case for me. SO - if you have a rig that can play the game at Ultra + his mod, then make sure to boot up the game using his mod (where the loading screen says MaLDo on it) and go into your graphics settings and set everything to Ultra.

You have to do this manually each time, and it won't save it (again, this is at least the case for me). But yeah, setting the AA to "Original FXAA" in the config solved my DX11 issue.

MaLDo

I think MaLDo's mod auto sets graphics to EXTREME for performance reasons (I could be wrong, so please don't take my word as fact, and I apologize if I'm wrong). But at least that is the case for me. SO - if you have a rig that can play the game at Ultra + his mod, then make sure to boot up the game using his mod (where the loading screen says MaLDo on it) and go into your graphics settings and set everything to Ultra.

You have to do this manually each time, and it won't save it (again, this is at least the case for me). But yeah, setting the AA to "Original FXAA" in the config solved my DX11 issue.

Please, do not change ingame settings because can broke the mod config.

Using recommended settings in mod config tool is not as simple as changing ingame options. The mod uses an internal config that rewrite game presets. Every config from mod is "extreme" when you see it ingame. But it's not a real extreme. Use mod config tool to change visuals. Otherwise you lose some optimizations and visual effects.

Comparisson (all here http://maldotex.blogspot.com/2013/01/screenshots-comparisson.html)

Mithos

I can't even get it working with Crysis 2 vanilla. (Origin / Crysis 2 Maximum Edition). It triggered 1 time (I have no idea how or why, but after that it never showed up again).

scitek

I can't even get it working with Crysis 2 vanilla. (Origin / Crysis 2 Maximum Edition). It triggered 1 time (I have no idea how or why, but after that it never showed up again).

Nope it doesn't work. It's the only game that I own that I can say that about. Some games have trouble with Afterburner, but you can usually get around the problem by just waiting til after the game's running to start it. Not with Crysis 2.

Top Bottom