• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - PC modding and tweaking

Demon Ice

Banned
If your problem isn't hitting a VRAM wall with the texture pack itself, maybe tesselation would be the setting to turn off. Your card while not bad, is a little on the lower end and tesselation is a setting even the higher end 5xxx series cards struggle with.

I actually goofed majorly when I did the FRAPS run because I forgot to do the ALT + Enter trick for triple buffering. I turned off the Tessellation anyways and remembered to enable Triple Buffering and my FPS shot through the roof. Gonna see if reduced Tessellation + Triple Buffering lets me stay playable. If not, I'll disable Tessellation, as Maldo's excellent textures + parallax mapping already has the game looking phenomenal. I also turned on SSDO and kept the Bokeh DOF on, looks lovely.

Edit: And I played through the entirety of the level, only stutters I got were right at the beginning after the level loaded. Acceptable.

Edit 2: Yep, Tessellation causes much more stuttering. Disabling that. Still running SSDO and Bokeh.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just purchased Crysis 2 on Steam, installed it and everything, and then downloaded the MaldoHD mod, which I thought I installed correctly. But when I reloaded my early save there didn't seem to be much of a difference in texture quality (I disabled tessellation--maybe that's the most obvious effect?). Am I supposed to begin a new game after installing the mod or what?

scitek

I just purchased Crysis 2 on Steam, installed it and everything, and then downloaded the MaldoHD mod, which I thought I installed correctly. But when I reloaded my early save there didn't seem to be much of a difference in texture quality (I disabled tessellation--maybe that's the most obvious effect?). Am I supposed to begin a new game after installing the mod or what?

Not a new game, but restart the level.

You have to launch the game from the new icon that the Mod makes, and once it launches it will be pretty obvious if the mod is running since it also changes the main menu. But you have to start the level again. However, all the new textures that Maldo have updated this year have not been released yet.

MrOogieBoogie

Not a new game, but restart the level.

Okay, awesome, that worked! Thanks guys.

Couple thoughts:

Holy shit this looks good. Like, seriously good.

Also, is it just me, or did the mod IMPROVE my performance? Game is far smoother now than vanilla. WTF?

And on top of that, I can't believe the game is running as well as it is on my modest setup: i3-2100 + 4GB RAM + Radeon HD 6850. Getting an average of 45-60 fps it seems with all video options in-game set to Extreme at 1680x1050, and most of Maldo's settings turned on (besides tessellation).

Card Boy

Banned
Does Crysis 2 Maximum Edition from Steam have the hi-res texture pack and DX11? Also what kinda of performance hit if any can it take on a 2gb GTX670 with the texture pack?

1.9 patch - DX11 and Hi-Res Texture pack

Maldo's HD Texture Pack v3

These both official? Or should i stick with the first one?

Also can i still play multiplayer?

Ryoku

Does Crysis 2 Maximum Edition from Steam have the hi-res texture pack and DX11? Also what kinda of performance hit if any can it take on a 2gb GTX670 with the texture pack?

These both official? Or should i stick with the first one?

Also can i still play multiplayer?

Install all of it. They're legal. They're only mods to a game. Crytek has a mod community that they're proud of.

I also recommend Blackfire 2 Mod. I don't remember if it comes with Maldo's installer since I installed that a while back. Performance hit with a GTX670 2GB should be fairly minimum. The game is really optimized, which helps a buttload. A 5770 1GB can handle the game smoothly. A GTX460 1GB can handle the game superbly well. A 670 should be able to take it on like a tank.

Card Boy

Banned
Wow just finished downloading and the game runs butter smooth all maxed out on Ultra and DX11. Is there a reason why Crysis 2 runs very well and Crysis 1 runs like shit for a 5 year old game?

It appears Crysis 2 Maximum edition on Steam comes with the DX11 patch and official texture pack at least.

scitek

Wow just finished downloading and the game runs butter smooth all maxed out on Ultra and DX11. Is there a reason why Crysis 2 runs very well and Crysis 1 runs like shit for a 5 year old game?

It appears Crysis 2 Maximum edition on Steam comes with the DX11 patch and official texture pack at least.

Yeah, console development forced them to learn optimization, and it paid off in an extremely scalable game.

Yeah, console development forced them to learn optimization, and it paid off in an extremely scalable game.

May sound weird but crysis 1 ran so badly in some areas (not due to under utilization) but by the over-beyond necessary fidelity on things. I read an interview where they said their HDr code was beyond the ability for the Human eye to see or something. what the hell is that about. Cool, but, what the hell./

seldead

from memory the they didn't cull alot either in the base game, I remember some tweaks on Beyond3d forums that greatly improved performance just by culling objects that weren't in your line of sight.

Computron

Awesome thread.

Every time I replay LOLsis 2, I find something new:

Lol.gif

MaLDo

Put the all the in a [quote.[/QUOTE]

[quote="ThoseDeafMutes, post: 40675671"]Put all of your pictures in "quote" tags to instantly make them far smaller. Users can then "view image" to see full size or hold down left click on them.[/QUOTE]

Done, thank you.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sorta OT but question about Crysis 2 campaign

how much do aliens play a role in this sequel? I hated them in C1 and found the game much more enjoyable when I was killing the other soldiers. Then the aliens came and it just
kinda got tedious and boring.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

how much do aliens play a role in this sequel? I hated them in C1 and found the game much more enjoyable when I was killing the other soldiers. Then the aliens came and it just
They're in a lot but are entirely different from the ones in Crysis in terms of how they fight. They're more like beefed up, agile soldiers.

Demon Ice

Banned

The aliens are much more enjoyable to fight in C2. They are bipedal, not floaty and annoying like C1.

And holy shit at those screenshots. Dat keypad :O

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey Maldo, do you think we will still be able to use quality mod 1.9x with the maldo hd 3.0b mod?

Thanks for all the great work :)!

Can anyone tell me why Crysis 2 fails to start if I use SMAA? I'm using DX11, so I put the DX10/11 SMAA files in where the Crysis 2 exe is and when I try and start it I get a black screen briefly before it dumps me back to the desktop with no messages.

demolitio

Hate to ask this, but can anyone PM me when there's a really good deal on Crysis 2 again? I've been looking a lot lately but will be going on vacation and will be limited to a cell phone for browsing so a PM would help in case I miss my usual bookmarks.

Mods sell games...

scitek

Can anyone tell me why Crysis 2 fails to start if I use SMAA? I'm using DX11, so I put the DX10/11 SMAA files in where the Crysis 2 exe is and when I try and start it I get a black screen briefly before it dumps me back to the desktop with no messages.

You need to put only the dxgi.dll into the Bin32 folder, and all the other files in the Crysis 2 root folder.

MrOogieBoogie

Okay, awesome, that worked! Thanks guys.

Couple thoughts:

Holy shit this looks good. Like, seriously good.

Also, is it just me, or did the mod IMPROVE my performance? Game is far smoother now than vanilla. WTF?

And on top of that, I can't believe the game is running as well as it is on my modest setup: i3-2100 + 4GB RAM + Radeon HD 6850. Getting an average of 45-60 fps it seems with all video options in-game set to Extreme at 1680x1050, and most of Maldo's settings turned on (besides tessellation).

Well, it's been downhill since this post. Jesus Christ at the stuttering in the later levels. First, the mod takes forever to load now, and I can barely get through a mission without it looking like a slideshow for seconds at a time. Ugh.

Computron

Hey, great work Maldo! Are you making this re-texture mod for practice and portfolio work?

I wonder how you get higher resolution versions of pretty much the exact same textures Crytek used in some of those picures?
I guess Crytek's art team likes to visit CGTextures.com just as much as any other studio.
KuGsj.gif

Man, I love that site.

----------------

I hear your always looking for some honest critique, and I see a few places you could improve.

It seems that you sometimes leave the specular or lighting/shadow from your photosource in the diffuse for some of your retextures.
like this one for example:

It's higher res, but that's not all there is to texturing, as you know from your material adjustments.

I am curious as to how you go about remaking some of the normal maps, especially for some of your man-hole covers and tiling stone textures.
A few of them can look kinda blobby like the photosource was just put through CrazyBump/nDo/etc with very few adjustments.
Have you tried using zbrush/mudbox and sculpting over a height map (generated out of Crazybump/nDo/etc as a starting point)?
You can really give your normals a lot more depth and fix some issues that come with photo-generated normals.

Some of your tiling textures are very noticeably repeating.
Some detail normals textures are unnecessarily uniformly too strong and could be toned down a bit and varied.
The plaster detail textures all over the warehouse map (probably a lot of others as well, that's the only one I got to play) for example make a lot of the indoor sections look bad.
You can avoid this by minimizing the contrast in your brightness channel in HSB mode.
The human eye is far more sensitive to changes in brightness/intensity of light than it is to Hue and saturation.
Color can be a more interesting area to put detail, and let your normals and lighting do the rest of the work.

Also, I am in the process of downloading the mod right now and I haven't seen any of this on your blog, so I don't know, do you ever work with Gloss/SpecularExponent maps?

EDIT: I just played it, I notice a lot of specular maps are missing.
The oil stains that are placed on asphalt for example look like they are now only in diffuse which looks really wonky.

Again, your doing awesome work Maldo, these are just some things I noticed as I was looking over your work.

Top Bottom