• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics Keeps Posting About Raziel on Twitter

ps3ud0

Man where's that guy who wrote that thread on all the stuff that was cut from Soul Reaver. Perhaps a remake with all that added in would be a perfect way to get this series back where it should be - the story and lore is magnificent. CD can't ruin a remake surely?

Positivity increasing...

Now From do that with Demon Souls!

ps3ud0 8)

They handed the last chapter of their Tomb Raider trilogy over to Eidos Montreal in favor of that Avengers game. I don't think they'll be developing anything else any time soon.

Ahasverus

They handed the last chapter of their Tomb Raider trilogy over to Eidos Montreal in favor of that Avengers game. I don't think they'll be developing anything else any time soon.
They're a really big studio, and it doesn't have to be an AAA game.

If anything, the lower the risk the better I think.

Kaizer

Banned
I’ve never played any of the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver games, so I have no affinity or love for this series, but it would be cool to see it come back.

They're a really big studio, and it doesn't have to be an AAA game.

If anything, the lower the risk the better I think.

I'd love to believe so, but all signs points to the opposite. I think the very best chance LoK has right now is, maybe, if they let Nixxes handle a remaster of the old games. That I could see happening.

Ahasverus

I'd love to believe so, but all signs points to the opposite. I think the very best chance LoK has right now is, maybe, if they let Nixxes handle a remaster of the old games. That I could see happening.
Remastering games from two/three games behind is just not feasible. The geometry is bad, the controls are clunky, and don't get me started on rights shenanigans, especially for dead people.

Also, other than Crash, every remaster released to "gauge interest" has killed the potential sequel. Remasters tend to not sell extremely well, and the least thing we need is for SE to get cold feet... Again.

The best shot the series has is a soft reboot. They address the timeline change in the intro cut scene and boom. Everybody happy.

That, or a really, really, really well written game, the kind we don't have (since probably the original Soul Reaver) where a great writer finds a way to introduce the lore and characters while seeming everything is being showm for the first time.

The first option is more probable imo.

I'd start with Blood Omen tho, not SR, but of course that's the popular one and we're in the 90's nostalgia era.

Juuust got my hands on Soul Reaver 2 for PS2 after waiting to come across it at a convention for 2.5 years! Inexpensive, common game, but for some reason it was so hard to find unless i went online (F that).

Gimme 3!

ps3ud0

Wasn't Amy one of the contributing factors in the starwars game demise?

I don't want her near Soul Reaver. Soul reaver is pretty serious in-terms of it's characters, plot and world.

No gimmicks, humor is needed.
Well she should know, she pretty much created the world of LoK (though I think he greatest influence was from SR onwards)

ps3ud0 8)

Ahasverus

Juuust got my hands on Soul Reaver 2 for PS2 after waiting to come across it at a convention for 2.5 years! Inexpensive, common game, but for some reason it was so hard to find unless i went online (F that).

Gimme 3!
Soul Reaver 3 exists, is called LoK: Defiance.
Wasn't Amy one of the contributing factors in the starwars game demise?

I don't want her near Soul Reaver. Soul reaver is pretty serious in-terms of it's characters, plot and world.

No gimmicks, humor is needed.
Dude, this series was her passion project. She along with with illustrator Daniel Cabuco spent years assuring everything in this universe made sense.

Then came some random team from.
EIDOS and destroyed everything with Blood Omen 2. They salvaged what they could tho.

She's the one to bring it back.

Unless you didn't know she's literally the mother of the series.

ps3ud0

Well so far her track record hasn't been so great on projects. That's what I'm saying, and she isn't the only one who worked on LOK.
Her track record really is more than fine, she led Uncharted to a place ND didn't want it to go and who knows what's happened to Viscerals Star Wars game. That doesn't magically rewrite all the other great games she's been involved in...

ps3ud0 8)

Saven

Banned
Cool, I hope we get a new game so I might have a reason to play through all of these games. Only played Soul Reaver for like 5 minutes once.

Ahasverus

This would be the only series where I'd buy the collector edition, the season pass and even fucking Reaver lootboxes if that meant it kept existing.

Fuck.

EctoPrime

Lara Croft: Block Puzzler featuring Raziel coming soon to mobile.

It would be great to see a new title but it probably is not going to happen.

matmanx1

I have incredibly fond memories of Soul Reaver. I don't think I need a reboot of that game or series to feel happy but if they did decide to do something like this then it better be excellent and worthy of the name.

Papacheeks

Banned
Her track record really is more than fine, she led Uncharted to a place ND didn't want it to go and who knows what's happened to Viscerals Star Wars game. That doesn't magically rewrite all the other great games she's been involved in...

ps3ud0 8)

From what I heard about Visceral's game Amy Henig's direction was one of the factors of the project not shaping up well.

Blood Omen 2 was such a strange game. It wasn’t meant to be a LoK game but was changed to be part of the world. They made so many weird story decision, that Defiance was able to take the previous games and BO2 and make it all fit and work was amazing. Amy Hennig deserves all the praise.

I am not sure where they would go next with the story considering the events of Defiance. A remake of LoK SR would be awesome.

Melchiah

remaster/port would be ok. don't even try to reboot that, i'm almost glad that project never got made

Agreed. I'd like it to be as close to the original as possible, including the original voice acting. They could lessen the amount of block puzzles, and improve the platforming though. Maybe the combat as well.

TheSun

I would very much like a new legacy of kain thing (unless it's sucks).

But alas it's the real world, where dreams don't come true. So I expect nothing.

Ahasverus

Agreed. I'd like it to be as close to the original as possible, including the original voice acting. They could lessen the amount of block puzzles, and improve the platforming though. Maybe the combat as well.
Not gonna happen. You just don't resurrect a series 15 years later like nothing happened. In any medium.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thirded.

BO2 was a mistake.
Nah man, BO2 was solid mate. Actually I think it has more fun gameplay than Soul Reaver 2 which, while have the absolute best writing of the series, has an extremely redundant combat system that is used way too much. BO2 on the other hand has some nice gameplay ideas. Biggest problem imo is it being too buggy and the story is.... well, you're better off if you regard it as fan-fiction.

Not strictly true, if I have my timeline right - I'm fairly sure he's hanging around with William the Just...

ov1w7ia.gif

wow a lot of hate for Raziel :(

I don't hate him. I just think his story is done now. No need to revisit him. I'm okay with a remake of Blood Omen (because it's the one that could benefit from it the most, and is the secret best game in the series), but Raziel was never as cool as Kain. Time for the legacy of Kain to resume with, you know, Kain.

Nah man, BO2 was solid mate. Actually I think it has more fun gameplay than Soul Reaver 2 which, while have the absolute best writing of the series, has an extremely redundant combat system that is used way too much. BO2 on the other hand has some nice gameplay ideas. Biggest problem imo is it being too buggy and the story is.... well, you're better off if you regard it as fan-fiction.

I agree with this. BO2 gameplay is right up there with SR1, with the original Blood Omen being my favorite. They took away too many options in SR2 and I HATED the combat in Defiance. Felt like it didn't fit at all.

Cardon

I wonder if we’ll see something appear on the Square Enix Collective in the near future. Would be a “safe” way to assess a project, especially if SE has a team other than CD tackle it.

Khoryos

I don't hate him. I just think his story is done now. No need to revisit him. I'm okay with a remake of Blood Omen (because it's the one that could benefit from it the most, and is the secret best game in the series), but Raziel was never as cool as Kain. Time for the legacy of Kain to resume with, you know, Kain.

Yeah, the original Blood Omen is SO. GOOD.

And it's basically impossible to get hold of legitimately these days, which is a source of constant frustration to me. The fact that it isn't on GOG is maddening.

I loved the series but I can't imagine another entry would be more viable now then it would have been when it was an active series.

li bur

You see, I love Legacy of Kain and the first Uncharted as much as the next guy. However with how all of Amy's recent venture is going (U4 and Star Wars), I'm afraid that some shit would happen again. I think she needs some break.

Ahasverus

You see, I love Legacy of Kain and the first Uncharted as much as the next guy. However with how all of Amy's recent venture is going (U4 and Star Wars), I'm afraid that some shit would happen again. I think she needs some break.
If we take these tweets as an indication of a possible announcement, it's unlikely Amy is involved in any official capacity given she's only been free since three days ago.

Unless, in usual Square Enix fashion, they're gonna announce it just after the moment it gets greenlit.

Doomshine

Yeah, the original Blood Omen is SO. GOOD.

And it's basically impossible to get hold of legitimately these days, which is a source of constant frustration to me. The fact that it isn't on GOG is maddening.

The Playstation version is on PSN if you're ok with the load times, that's how I played it a few years ago.

It's not going to be funny if this leads to nothing...

get ready for the LoK MOBAAAAAA

:(

Shifty

get ready for the LoK MOBAAAAAA

Ok so get this, 100 vampires silently glide down onto an island...

The story is my main issue with it tbh. That and ratface Kain.

Top Bottom