• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CW's Green Arrow series, "Arrow" leads in "Supernatural" on Wednesdays Fall 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairhome

arrow-new-still-300x220.jpg

Oops, forgot source link.
CW Pairs Arrow With Supernatural
on Wednesdays, Debuts First Still
Arrow, the television series based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow, will kick off The CW’s Wednesday lineup this fall, serving as a lead-in to veteran drama Supernatural on its new night. The last holdover from The CW’s predecessor The WB, Supernatural was moved from Thursday to Friday in 2010.

The announcement of the network’s 2012-2013 was accompanied by the release of the first still from Arrow, featuring Stephen Amell (Hung) as a bow-wielding Oliver Queen.

Created by Green Lantern screenwriters Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe co-executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, the series centers on Oliver Queen, a wealthy young bad boy who, after spending five years shipwrecked on an island, returns to Starling City — changed from Star City — with a mastery of the bow and a determination to make a difference.

Amell is joined by Colin Donnell as Tommy Merlyn, Katie Cassidy (Supernatural, Melrose Place) as Laurel Lance, David Ramsey (Dexter, Blue Bloods) as John Diggle, Willa Holland (The O.C.) as Thea Queen, with Susanna Thompson (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Kings) as Moira Queen and Paul Blackthorne (The Dresden Files, 24) as Detective Quentin Lance. Here’s the official description:

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. When he returns home to Starling City, his devoted mother Moira, much-beloved sister Thea, and best friend Tommy welcome him home, but they sense Oliver has been changed by his ordeal on the island. While Oliver hides the truth about the man he’s become, he desperately wants to make amends for the actions he took as the boy he was. Most particularly, he seeks reconciliation with his former girlfriend, Laurel Lance. As Oliver reconnects with those closest to him, he secretly creates the persona of Arrow – a vigilante – to right the wrongs of his family, fight the ills of society, and restore Starling City to its former glory. By day, Oliver plays the role of a wealthy, carefree and careless philanderer he used to be – flanked by his devoted chauffeur/bodyguard, John Diggle – while carefully concealing the secret identity he turns to under cover of darkness. However, Laurel’s father, Detective Quentin Lance, is determined to arrest the vigilante operating in his city. Meanwhile, Oliver’s own mother, Moira, knows much more about the deadly shipwreck than she has let on – and is more ruthless than he could ever imagine.

Arrow will air Wednesdays this fall at 8 p.m. ET/PT, followed at 9 p.m. by Supernatural, which begins its eighth season.

I think it'll be a good pairing (for me). I love Supernatural, even these later seasons, and it'll be interesting with a new showrunner. Plus, Arrow has the hot Ruby from Supernatural. :-D

akira28

Well, I guess that explains why they wrecked him in the comic, going from a middle aged badass to a 20 something jerkass.

And his new crew of Scoobies. Fuck. Fucking fuck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So he's just Hawkeye with a different backstory?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder if Speedy will eventually be introduced.

Well, I guess that explains why they wrecked him in the comic, going from a middle aged badass to a 20 something jerkass.

I haven't been checking out DC since the reboot, they changed him? wtf, goatee Ollie is best Ollie

Obviously they are missing their Smallville block now that it's gone. I wonder why they decided to do Arrow now since a few years ago they declined on a GA spinoff show and an Aquaman show. Would've been smarter of the CW to have done a spinoff of Smallville to have kept fans around instead of this but I'll watch a few episodes and see how it goes.

is this separate from Smallville's green arrow or a spin off?

Different actors. Shame since they could've pulled a lot of guest stars and what not. Then again the GA's ending for Smallville doesn't match with any comic cannon and the actress that plays Chloe Sullivan would not want to do it since she was dragged quite a few seasons in Smallville past what she wanted to do.

The probably didn't continue with Justin Hartley's version because of Smallville Season 11
That and the ending left him going off to Star City with Chloe Sullivan and I'm 100% sure Allison Mack wouldn't want to return to that role since SV dragged on much longer than her liking but she stuck around to give a proper send off.

Chairhome

So he's just Hawkeye with a different backstory?

Other way around. Green Arrow predates Hawkeye by 23 years.
Nesotenso said:
Like a lot of DC heroes, Green Arrow actually predates Hawkeye. The movie version of Hawkeye is based on Ultimates and Avengers:EMH more though.
yeah, what he said, haha.
shira said:
Nah, he's batman with a bow
This is more accurate, he wasn't DC originally, he was another comic book companies attempt to rip off batman. He used to have an Arrowcave and an Arrowmobile.

-------------
I think it was smart for CW to invest in this series when it did. The hype from Avengers might help it (since a lot of people loved hawkeye), and this is a good alternative since they were never able to make a young batman series. I'll definitely be watching for the first season, this has promise.

he can't just like... go get a gun now though?

While at it we might as well criticize just about every other superhero because a gun would be a lot more efficient.

Most superheroes including Oliver Queen have an anti-killing policy so that's why he wouldn't want to use a gun. Also his arrows are enhanced with different things such as tasers or gas.

This is more accurate, he wasn't DC originally, he was another comic book companies attempt to rip off batman. He used to have an Arrowcave and an Arrowmobile.

-------------
I think it was smart for CW to invest in this series when it did. The hype from Avengers might help it (since a lot of people loved hawkeye), and this is a good alternative since they were never able to make a young batman series. I'll definitely be watching for the first season, this has promise

It's pretty funny that because SV couldn't have Batman they substituted GA for Batman. His presentation and a lot of his storylines were rip offs of Batman and Superman stories. His relationship with Clark was also how Batman's relationship was in the comics.

akira28

I wonder if Speedy will eventually be introduced.

I haven't been checking out DC since the reboot, they changed him? wtf, goatee Ollie is best Ollie

Yeah after all that New 52 time paradox bullcrap, he's young again, at the head of his company as a billionaire again, and has a team of snarky technowizards behind him. He's no longer the slightly obnoxious anti-war environmentalist with a regretable past and earned wisdom. He's a young Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne with arrows, full on obnoxious, constantly talking to his "team"/the reader through his earbud communicator device.

Ollie was deadly with guns, bows, many projectiles, and most recently swords, after returning to the island to re-hone himself and a deadly warrior, because he felt like he was losing his edge. Now he has young tech entrepreneurs to supply him with new gadgets and update his twitter account. Yes. He uses social media while he fights crime.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah after all that New 52 time paradox bullcrap, he's young again, at the head of his company as a billionaire again, and has a team of snarky technowizards behind him. He's no longer the slightly obnoxious anti-war environmentalist with a regretable past and earned wisdom. He's a young Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne with arrows, full on obnoxious, constantly talking to his "team"/the reader through his earbud communicator device.

Wow that is shit.

I'm thankful Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS are using the more "known" versions rather than the reboot version.

Tobor

What was wrong with "Green"? God forbid anyone actually remembers the character and tunes in.

Why use an existing IP if you're going to remove the only reason to use it, recognition?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Like a lot of DC heroes, Green Arrow actually predates Hawkeye. The movie version of Hawkeye is based on Ultimates and Avengers:EMH more though.

A lot of DC heroes are really boring, super generic types so I tend to assume they're just generic copies of other heroes.

theDeeDubs

Katie Cassidy alone makes this worth checking out. Hopefully this will be good for Supernatural too. This season has been weaker but it's still one my my favorite shows. Need more seasons.

akira28

Wow that is shit.

I'm thankful Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS are using the more "known" versions rather than the reboot version.

They have to, because otherwise, who needs Speedy or Red Arrow, when Green Arrow is only a few years older himself? Also he never had time to be a penniless hitchhiker to cross the country with a broke Hal Jordan, so there's no history there either. This is why gimmicky reboots don't work. Especially poorly done ones.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
A lot of DC heroes are really boring, super generic types so I tend to assume they're just generic copies of other heroes.

From what I've seen it is their villains that are weak.

Then again, the only things in the DC-iverse I can stand are Flash (turrrrrible enemies... god DC has the worst villains ever) and Batman (which has the benefit of not being a superhero)

3N16MA

Banned
Starling City? Why would they even change that?

I read they don't actually have the rights and that is why everything is changed slightly. I don't know if that's true.

EDIT: Seems like that would not be true considering WB owns half of CW and they also own DC.

Ollie was deadly with guns, bows, many projectiles, and most recently swords, after returning to the island to re-hone himself and a deadly warrior, because he felt like he was losing his edge. Now he has young tech entrepreneurs to supply him with new gadgets and update his twitter account. Yes. He uses social media while he fights crime.
only good thing about the entire reboot is Barbara Gordon. imo

Then again, the only things in the DC-iverse I can stand are Flash (turrrrrible enemies... god DC has the worst villains ever) and Batman (which has the benefit of not being a superhero)
Batman & Supermans villains more than make up for it.

ccbfan

The real news is that Supernatural is gone from Fridays again.

Never understood the reason a network would put it's second strongest show on a dead day, but then its CW so there a lot of things that can't be understood.

Will give Arrow a chance though since I don't have anything else to watch on Wednesday and Supernatural makes Wednesday a TV watching night. Too bad they're not using the Smallville Green Arrow. He was probably my favorite character in the later seasons.

Sadsic

He's already skilled at using bows more than guns. Also you can't have customized arrows for the job.

honestly i think watching the wire recently has ruined any suspension of disbelief i wouldve had for stuff like this; the idea of a bowman in modern society is so crazy, how do you stop someone with a gun with a bow without dipping into some sort of crazy deus ex machina technology?

Penguin

This is neither here nor there, but I prefer DC's villains to Marvel's big time.

But back to Arrow.. or Batman Begins the TV Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom