• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Czech anti-Roma ad calls for final solution to Gypsy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

The Czech government has expressed outrage over the broadcast of an anti-Roma (Gypsy) campaign advert by a far-right group on national television.

The head of Czech Television, Jiri Janecek, said the National Party (NS) video would not be broadcast again.

Interior Minister Martin Pecina has said he is now seeking to ban the NS.

The NS advert spoke of "a final solution to the Gypsy issue" and carried the slogan "Stop Favouring Gypsies" over images of Roma.

Prime Minister Jan Fischer and Human Rights Minister Michael Kocab said they considered the NS video illegal.

Earlier, a spokesman for Czech Television said that by law, it had no right to alter any party's election advertisements.

Mr Fischer said the advert evoked "the [Nazis'] Final Solution of the Jewish question during World War II", the AFP news agency reported.

Campaigning has just started in the Czech Republic for next month's European Parliament elections.

Roma, many of them impoverished, have long alleged that they suffer discrimination in the Czech Republic.

Mr Fischer has pledged to address the issue of Roma rights.

Last year his centre-right predecessor, Mirek Topolanek, tried to get a ban imposed on another far-right group, the Workers' Party, but in March this year a court refused to do so.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8061273.stm

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Rofl this reminds me of that time I was watching Euro 2008 with a coworker and Romania was playing somebody and she leans over and whispers to me "Romanians are a bunch of gypsies!"

neight

Banned
painey said:
I fucking hate Gypsies
If that were a Jew joke it'd be funny but it's disgusting the amount of shit Gypsyies have to put up with. I wish they were an American minority then we'd affirmative action them and have a Gypsy day and then we'd have white suburban kids glorifying their music culture(we'd call those whites wypsyies).

Replicant

painey said:
I fucking hate Gypsies

hx9khx.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRi1A7-4--M

painey

Gypsies are scum and deserve no sympathy. They don't go to school and are uneducated, they steal constantly, make places a mess, leave all their rubbish and piss off leaving it to rot. We had some on an unused plot of land locally some years back, they would play on the dual carriage way and throw things into traffic, drag buckets to the petrol station and fill them with the free car water to wash in, walk into Tesco and put on 10 pairs of shirts and run through the security barriers and all kinda of other shit. Leeches and Scum.

JayDubya

Banned
Dude.

Dude.

What the fuck. I thought you were joking.

Let's say for the sake of... whatever... that your anecdotal experience there is entirely true and valid and an accurate description of some phenomena you observed.

You still can't use it to extrapolate that all people of an ethnicity are "scum" who would behave like that.

painey said:
Gypsies are scum and deserve no sympathy. They don't go to school and are uneducated, they steal constantly, make places a mess, leave all their rubbish and piss off leaving it to rot. We had some on an unused plot of land locally some years back, they would play on the dual carriage way and throw things into traffic, drag buckets to the petrol station and fill them with the free car water to wash in, walk into Tesco and put on 10 pairs of shirts and run through the security barriers and all kinda of other shit. Leeches and Scum.
Jesus. Even if it's sarcasm, this shit doesn't fly.

Get the fuck out of here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think it's a very visible minority, but they're doing untold damage to the broader image of Roma Gypsies.

That 'visible minority' seriously, seriously get on my wick.

(Oh, but that ad and the sentiment behind it is fucked up)

JayDubya

Banned
Napoleonthechimp said:
I think he's referring to travellers (who really are violent law breaking scum) as opposed to the proper Gypsies.

I don't know much about what you're trying to say here firsthand, and a Wiki scan later, I still don't know much more, but painting with broad strokes like that, whether we're talking about actual Roma or people of other elasticities that emulate their lifestyle, uhhhh...

It's still painting with really broad strokes. It still really strikes me as the same ol' shit.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
painey said:
The government here even gives them free houses so they integrate with the community. What do these fuckers do? they tear them apart to sell the materials and use the remaining ruins as stables.
I have nothing against these guys as a "race". A gypsy raised correctly and with a good normal behaviour is as good as any other human being. It's the gypsy culture of crime, don't give me shit about your language and all that crap, your culture is based on CRIME, simple as that and has no place in society. Leeches, that's exactly what they are. And don't get any wrong impressions, they don't feel marginalized, they laugh at us normal people and treat us as stock waiting to be squeezed.
And people who don't have to deal with gypsies should stay out of the debate because they don't know what they're talking about.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
DKnight said:
The government here even gives them free houses so they integrate with the community. What do these fuckers do? they tear them apart to sell the materials and use the remaining ruins as stables.
I have nothing against these guys as a "race". A gypsy raised correctly and with a good normal behaviour is as good as any other human being. It's the gypsy culture of crime, don't give me shit about your language and all that crap, your culture is based on CRIME, simple as that and has no place in society. Leeches, that's exactly what they are. And don't get any wrong impressions, they don't feel marginalized, they laugh at us normal people and treat us as stock waiting to be squeezed.
And people who don't have to deal with gypsies should stay out of the debate because they don't know what they're talking about.

DV009.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm, I think there's some confusion of groups here.

'Travellers' I think to be 'irish gypsies', and as far as I can see, over the last 5 or 10 years they have become far far less visible (in the bad sense). It's a long time since I've seen a traveller begging.

Then the roma gypsies are a 'new' group (new to Britain/Ireland, at least) from Eastern Europe, who are highly visible here (in the bad sense). I trust and hope that the highly visible ones are a minority of the broader Roma Gypsy population, but their behaviour is seriously damaging the image of Roma Gypsies here.

I really don't give a fig what enthnicity you are, it's the behaviour and actions that are to be condemned.

xbhaskarx

WTF is with this thread, if people were talking about homosexuals, women, black people or Jews they would be banned for a very long time...
Good to know racism is so prevalent in Europe, 65 years after almost a million Roma were exterminated in the holocaust...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xbhaskarx said:
WTF is with this thread, if people were talking about homosexuals, women, black people or Jews they would be banned for a very long time...
Good to know racism is so prevalent in Europe, 65 years after almost a million Roma were exterminated in the holocaust...

I'm talking about what I presume is a minority of Roma Gypsies.

Just as I've previously spoken out against minorities of white people, black people, gay people, straight people..

To take a very recent example, mockery and condemnation of 'chavs' has been perfectly acceptable here (and 'chav' similarly carries racial connotations). The guys I'm thinking of here are basically like chavs but worse, so..

Saying these guys should not be allowed to do what they're doing and to speak against it does not mean you are a nazi who agrees with their extermination. That is WTF to me.

painey

xbhaskarx said:

What has their race got to do with anything, I didnt even know they classified as an ethnic group because they look identical to me as a white brit. Their culture is the problem, and its disgusting that the government cower to them.

xbhaskarx

gofreak said:
I'm talking about what I presume is a minority of Roma Gypsies.

Just as I've previously spoken out against minorities of white people, black people, gay people, straight people..

Yeah it's like only hating the violent black people who commit crimes and greedy Jews who rip people off, right?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
xbhaskarx said:
Nobody cares about their race, beliefs or sexual orientation. We are concerned about a lifestyle that's based on crime. Don't theorize about them if you have not had the "pleasure" to deal with them first hand. It's just organized crime. Of course it has to be dealt with strictly within the legal system (not this "final solution" bullshit), but I can and will complain about these fuckers as long as they keep pestering us.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JayDubya said:
I've seen people throwing that term around - what's "chav?" What's the derivation, what does it mean?

Well when I think of the word chav, I think of poorer english people who dress in a certain way (for example, big hoop ear-rings, tracksuits, burberry etc.), and who are fairly rough mannered.

Among those are (what I presume) is a minority of people who are benefit leeches. And they are often reported on and it reinforces a general image of 'chavs' that is not particularly positive.

It's not correct that this is the case, to paint them all with that brush, but it is what happens, and on this board, general mockery of chavs has been allowed.

This is pretty much directly analagous to Roma Gypsies.

They are a group with distinct dress, a (presumably) minority of whom behave even worse than that same minority of 'chavs', who are reinforcing a (hopefully inaccurate) image of Roma Gypsies in general.

The commonality between the two groups is that there is highly visible anti-social behaviour, and a distinct image with which to associate it with.

Those two things together lead to an association of an image with that behaviour, and thus an association of what I presume is a minority with everyone else who is by appearance or culture, a part of that group.

It's not RIGHT that this is happening, but it's an observation as to what is happening. I don't give a fig what your ethnicity is, but that behaviour is unacceptable. We should be defining and basing our outrage solely on behaviour, but unfortunately there is an amount of group association going on in both cases (and other cases too). And that minority should be aware of what they're doing to the broader group they associate themselves with. There is a Roma group here in Ireland who represent the 'broader' Roma community who regularly speak out against and disown this minority.

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah it's like only hating the violent black people who commit crimes and greedy Jews who rip people off, right?

Stereotyping a group is the same as judging them all based on the minority. I'm not judging them all.

It's easy for you Americans to accuse Europeans of discrimination when you don't have to deal with these people. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but it's not their race or their skin color we dislike. It's their clichéd, anti-social way of life which most of them exhibit that doesn't fit any modern civilization and makes it hard to like them.

Please don't compare it to Anti-gay movements or anti-semitism where people are hated because of what they are in spite of being a valuable "asset" to the community.
I bet none of the people complaining here would have something against a Roma doctor.

A lot of them are very hard to integrate because of their ass backwards "stone age" life style.
I've been friends with a Roma person (called Romano). We were in a boxing club together and obviously he didn't fit any of the clichés one might have about Roma.
The clichés didn't even cross my mind and why the fuck would they? It's not like he pitched a tent or was going around begging for money.
He introduced himself with "gypsy" (Zigeuner), instead of Roma (the p.c. term) and insisted on being referred to as gypsy. His idea behind this was to cleanse this term of the negative connotation.

It's kind of similar to your accusation of European discrimination against Muslims. It's easy to say that when you hand pick your Muslims/Middle Easterners with green cards and most of your Muslims are more progressive than you Christians (e. g. Iranians). While here even the most ass backwards idiot, who'd like to stone gay people and women without a burka, can cross the boarder and claim asylum.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
The problem with Gypsies is that their nomadic culture doesn't find it necessary to abide by national laws, they have their own codes, sadly those don't fit too well with the societies they interact with, and thus there is a clash.

Obviously there are Gypsies that don't feel the need to be nomads and assimilate themselves into society - like the Gypsies in northern Scandinavia; the Taters, although they still get lots of shit for being Gypsies, sadly.

Xeke

Banned
JayDubya said:
It sounds like the equivalent of the pejorative "white trash," which I'm not particularly fond of either.

What else would you call a family of 13 living on welfare down the street, sitting on their porch, fat, shirtless, drinking PBR, being loud and obnoxious and just generally bringing the neighborhood down. I guess you could drop the white and just call them trash.

yeah i'm pretty sure they're an ethnic group, though the term gypsy can be kinda loose. permabans to all of you :p

dated a girl who was part gypsy. she was cute but kind of trashy

Brobzoid said:
The problem with Gypsies is that their nomadic culture doesn't find it necessary to abide by national laws, they have their own codes, sadly those don't fit too well with the societies they interact with, and thus there is a clash.

Obviously there are Gypsies that don't feel the need to be nomads and assimilate themselves into society - like the Gypsies in northern Scandinavia; the Taters, although they still get lots of shit for being Gypsies, sadly.
I'm from Scandinavia and i've unfortunatley never heard of these taters but it is true what you're saying, Gypsies have a very bad reputation here.

They won't integrate.
they live by their own laws.
They steal and mug people.
They are very violent, even among themselvs.
Some how it seems like they prefer living in caravans and dirty clothes.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Copycat_Wannabe said:
I'm from Scandinavia and i've unfortunatley never heard of these taters but it is true what you're saying, Gypsies have a very bad reputation here.

They won't integrate.
they live by their own laws.
They steal and mug people.
They are very violent, even among themselvs.
Some how it seems like they prefer living in caravans and dirty clothes.
The Taters aren't really that widely spread though. They are mostly centered around the more rural parts of eastern Norway and into Sweden going south.

Uncle

Brobzoid said:
The Taters aren't really that widely spread though. They are mostly centered around the more rural parts of eastern Norway and into Sweden going south.

Apparently the Finnish Kale are similar, but they have a similar bad reputation as well (abusing the welfare system, petty crime and occasional bursts of violence due to some age old vendettas the different families have). But it's most likely due to a vocal minority type of thing. And with them being a bit isolated from mainstream cultures doesn't help.

Midas

gofreak said:
I really don't give a fig what enthnicity you are, it's the behaviour and actions that are to be condemned.

This.

And do send them to Sweden so people here can see that there are other issues in the world than trying to make piracy legal.

zon

Midas said:
This.

And do send them to Sweden so people here can see that there are other issues in the world than trying to make piracy legal.

Yes, let's bring more potential crime into the country so we won't have to worry about lesser crime!

omg im da smart

Jasup

Here's a hint: telling people they are filthy and should die probably isn't the best way to get them integrated to the society.

We've had this thread a couple of times before.

We don't really have gypsies here in Florida. Originally I was kind of disgusted at the vitriol the normally aloof and fun-loving euros mustered up for them, but in that thread I also learned that the gypsy culture and societal pressures basically reduce any person that's not a gypsy down to some kind of resource to be tapped. Which is why they can do crazy shit to non-gypsies and not feel bad about it.

There was even a story somebody posted where a reporter went to some town in eastern europe to do a kind of sympathetic personal interest piece on the roma and he was like beaten and robbed and spit on and all kinds of shit and when he left he'd done a total 180.

I still don't agree with the whole gypsy hate thing, but I can't really be down on those guys that have negative feelings about them.

Then again, I live in Florida.

What do I know.

*shrug*

Gypsies are a freakin' plague. They gave them housing projects in my home country of bulgaria and what do they do? They bring their cattle in their apartments, start bondfires in their livingrooms. They steal their way through life, have dozens and dozens of children, which no one looks after. They're really wild animals. They travel in these broken down caravans pulled by mules.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Xeke said:
What else would you call a family of 13 living on welfare down the street, sitting on their porch, fat, shirtless, drinking PBR, being loud and obnoxious and just generally bringing the neighborhood down. I guess you could drop the white and just call them trash.

Or just drop the trash and call them white. Silly honkies.

ksan

Midas said:
This.

Haha, I hope that's a joke. :)
The issue in Sweden is that the legislators have tried to make some forms of "piracy" (or what would be Copyright Infringement) illegal, while the public opinion doesn't agree.

On topic anyway, I can't exactly said that I have had any positive experiences with gypsies, however I have seen them stealing stuff! Also, I know relatives who have been threatened with knives after not buying stuff from traveling merchants.
Not that these anecdotal accounts makes this kind of propaganda an intelligent way of handling these problems. However, from my experience, and those around me, we don't really feel like their lifestyles work too well together with the accepted norms of most countries' societies.
Then again, I don't hang too much with these people.

There is a reason why Gypsies, in general, are so despised throughout Europe, they're infamous for being petty criminals and quite honestly they don't try to abolish the stereotype, that's not to say there aren't those who do, but they're quite rare and the fact they remain an extremely tight closed community doesn't help matters.
Are these the Romanian gypsies in particular? They're like the freakin' mafia, not even the cops want to mess with them.

It's not surprising if you talk to any young European and they're not particulary fond of gypsies.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
painey said:

Great way to group an entire people together, jackass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom