• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D.C. sniper asks for new sentencing in light of Supreme Court rulings on juveniles

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nah, every once in awhile, while pumping gas into my car, my thoughts drift back to the people these 2 people murdered, while pumping gas into their cars.

Just people minding their own business, doing a mundane task so many of us do, just to get sniped from a distance.

So no, this guy can finish out his sentence.

akira28

he was a kid, and I don't see a problem with him actually rehabbing and getting out in 30 or so years, if that's what happens.

This was my memory of the case. Also, wasn't there something sexual between the two? Or it was implied... vague memories of that. But definitely wasnt the sharpest tool, and was conditioned by the marine guy/sniper? The other guy was a veteran right?

Unless I'm in the bearstein world, some of this was trueish...

Guess it's a good time to google.

Edit: him feeling like a pos.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49231109/...sniper-shooter-says-he-felt-worst-piece-scum/

And there's molestation accusations but I don't know how to link those phone amp links.

But he's very much repentant. Doesn't sound like he has blood lust.

Edit: molestation claims

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...2822d0-1e76-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_story.html

But, Manson got time. So did everyone he brainwashed right? Can't remember if anyone was spaired sentencing.
He's already gotten fifteen years. I don't know how to quantify how much time he should get but I think I'm comfortable with a twenty year sentence. At the moment, he's in prison for life.

Yeah, he claims the guy sexually abused him. There's no way of knowing if it was true. But it's very obvious he was dedicated to the man and gave him complete loyalty.

he was a kid, and I don't see a problem with him actually rehabbing and getting out in 30 or so years, if that's what happens.
How do you rehab him more? What are you supposed to do? He sits in solitary and does yoga. He's been doing that for years.

akira28

our prison systems could be more than storage facilities for criminals. how do you rehabilitate young lee malvo? probably with active methods beyond yoga and solitary.

our prison systems could be more than storage facilities for criminals. how do you rehabilitate young lee malvo? probably with active methods beyond yoga and solitary.
I agree. Give him work opportunities. Maybe let him earn a college degree. Being a mass murderer, though, it would be near impossible for him to have a life in public.

Nev

Banned
I can't believe some people. It's not a matter of 'can he do it again', we're talking about someone who utterly destroyed 17 families (at the very least) as a 17 years old.

I'm pretty sure I was perfectly aware of what I was doing at that age.

He should die in prison.

Read his interview from 2012. People make mistakes. Horrible, monstrous mistakes. But no man is irredeemable.

I'm sure he feels bad about it now that he's spending the rest of his life in prison.

We're talking about a guy who murdered 17 people for giggles. "Awww, he seems like such a nice guy now!" doesn't work with psychopaths.

Or you can acknowledge that some peoples' brains to not work like yours and mine. A college degree and work experience is not going to teach a person who murdered 17 random people that other people have value beyond what they can provide to him (in this case, the fun of murdering them). Therapy cannot give you a conscience.

tookhster

Yeah, no. Fuck that.

I was in elementary school in the area that this happened and I remember being terrified walking to my bus stop everyday after my parents told me what happened. At such a young age that shit sticks with you forever. Kids stopped showing up to school and I remember my mom was in tears because she didn't want me to go outside.

Yeah, no. Fuck that.

I was in elementary school in the area that this happened and I remember being terrified walking to my bus stop everyday after my parents told me what happened. At such a young age that shit sticks with you forever. Kids stopped showing up to school and I remember my mom was in tears because she didn't want me to go outside.

I was a student at College Park at the time. I remember them having extra security around because of this, and I also had friends that came from areas that they were targeting.

The law is the law, but I will not sign any petition to have his sentencing lessened. I am completely comfortable with my tax dollars helping keep him in prison for the rest of his life.

collige

Banned
I think the concept life without parole is an inherently hubristic and I agree with the SCOTUS decision so I don't really see too much of a problem with this.
I'm sure he feels bad about it now that he's spending the rest of his life in prison.

We're talking about a guy who murdered 17 people for giggles. "Awww, he seems like such a nice guy now!" doesn't work with psychopaths.

Or you can acknowledge that some peoples' brains to not work like yours and mine. A college degree and work experience is not going to teach a person who murdered 17 random people that other people have value beyond what they can provide to him (in this case, the fun of murdering them). Therapy cannot give you a conscience.
It wasn't for giggles though, it was part of a terrorist scheme that he was groomed into.

BigDug13

The word "mandatory" in the OP about the Supreme Court ruling is throwing me off.

Was there a mandate that life without parole be given as a sentence to every crime that matches a certain criteria? And does the ruling only eliminate the mandatory part and still allows a judge with his own discretion to issue that same sentence if he deems the crime worthy? Or is this a ruling that removes even the possibility for a judge to issue such a harsh sentence at all?

Fuchsdh

He would be met with familiar faces of the speculative jobs program. But his only skill was bad art.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

Hitler's art gets a bad rap. He's got some nice work, better than half the jokers I went to art school with, especially freshman year.

I think reappraising the sentencing based on the Supreme Court ruling makes sense, but there's no way they're going to let him go any time soon.

Reading his testimony about their multi-part plans, keep him locked up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._sniper_attacks#Malvo_testimony

Man, it's weird to reread all that. Haven't thought much about it since they locked them up but the year it happened in middle school I remember everyone going nuts. I always think about the poor woman shot at the Home Depot I frequent when I go there.

Although it's darkly comic how dumb their plans were, especially the murder totals per day. It's the DC area, if you want to shoot up a bunch of people in a large geographic area pick someplace that doesn't have the third-worst traffic in the country.

Saganator

He was 17 when the murders took place, but how old was he when the Malvo guy started influencing him? Most 17 year olds know right from wrong, but probably not one that had his mind warped by a maniac before his brain was fully developed.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
He was 17, and this was 15 years ago. He needs a complete psychological evaluation before release along with other checks and balances. We gain nothing by having a citizen locked away for life when he was an immature juvenile. If not released today he will be locked away for possibly another 50 years. A death sentence that is more cruel than simply executing home at gunpoint. Time is precious and people can change. If we can rehabilitate this young man, we may be able to rehabilitate others as well.

Never mind the fact that even if he was released, he would still be a second-class citizen and having a hard time making a life for himself...it's still better than locking up someone who can do nothing for our society, except as a reminder that we as humans can be incredibly harmful, and there is always someone worse than us.

im sorry but you dont rehabilitate someone that had a direct or indirect hand in the murder of 17 people.

Same thing with Anders Breivik, you do something like that you shouldnt be allowed to be free again.

Jindrax

Weird how people are okay with the law.
But want exceptions to it if they don't like the situation it's applied to.

You know what the statue of the maiden holding the scales is blind? Kinda you know represents an important principle of society.

Yeah ok he killed 17 people. So what the rules no longer apply to him? What about 15 then? Or 6? Or 2?
Where is the line?

It's dangerous to set a precedent like this especially in common law. Since it could be used out of context in a different case to get a judge to ignore something that's been deemed unconstitutional.

Anyway I know how GAF is. Someone is going to pick off 1 paragraph of my post on go off on a tangent based on 0 legal knowledge.

KaYotiX

Banned

Sorry but at 17 you aren't a kid and know damn well what you are doing.

Hope he stays locked up and rots in prison.

Kthulhu

That is not an excuse for a serial killer. For someone with a mind to kill people, the mind is already gone.

No 2nd chances for people that ends other people's life.

Bullshit, you're just being vindictive.

Edit: if he's mentally ill or has some other psychological condition, then he should be in a medical facility, not a prison.

JoeNut

was this the one where they hid in a car with the muzzle sticking out of a hole drilled in the boot(trunk)? that was some crazy shit

Ever since the Breivik case, I've firmly believed thats the way the world should be handling these people

And for goodness sake, serial killers arent war criminals or genocidists. Stop with that disingenuous bullshit.

Theonik

Well he is constitutionally entitled to re-sentencing. I'm cool with that. There is very little chance he actually doesn't end up back with life in prison. Let the courts decide.

I lived in the area at the time and it was terrifying. We had random school lockdowns anytime a white can was nearby and drills

Yeah same here, it was crazy around that time. My mom used to pull me out of school everytime someone was shot. People going to restaurants not want to sit near windows, people pumping gas and laying flat along the back seats or crouched behind the car, people walking zig zag when they were walking to stores. I live 10 min away from where the shoppers is where the one guy got shot and killed. People were terrified to do anything around here, so this guy should rot in prison to never see the light of day.

Had I the power to do so, they'd get that chance (ignoring for now the fact that "rehabilitation" isn't remotely the right term).

We can't save them. Literally impossible. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be merciful to those we can. That's ludicrous, dark ages-logic.

Dark ages-logic is cutting off someones hand for stealing. Hell, this guy would have been executed in a very brutal manner if it weren't for modern laws.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I still think about these guys every time I pump gas, and I'm not even from the US.

Fuck this guy. He does not deserve even an inkling of a second chance. Throw away the key.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If they want to eventually move this guy to a minimum security facility where he would have better living conditions I would be all for it, but people like him shouldn't be in society.

Kthulhu

Life in prison is nuts, i agree. For killing 17 people they should have been executed.

Because that would solve everyone's problems /s

Ever since the Breivik case, I've firmly believed thats the way the world should be handling these people

And for goodness sake, serial killers arent war criminals or genocidists. Stop with that disingenuous bullshit.

giphy.gif

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
He was 17 when the murders took place, but how old was he when the Malvo guy started influencing him? Most 17 year olds know right from wrong, but probably not one that had his mind warped by a maniac before his brain was fully developed.

By that logic, any serial criminal who was abused as a kid should get special consideration, right?

Should we ignore the damage an individual inflicted upon society prior to entering prison as well as the potential damage they might inflict after being released because they had a traumatic upbringing?

Had I the power to do so, they'd get that chance (ignoring for now the fact that "rehabilitation" isn't remotely the right term).

We can't save them. Literally impossible. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be merciful to those we can. That's ludicrous, dark ages-logic.

Thank God you’re so enlightened and can show us the error of our ways.

He took part in the serial murder of 17 people for sport. If he had any speck of a conscience, killing one person would have driven him to confess and tell on his “father.” Brainwashing only explains the first murder.

But he kept going through a second and a third and a fourth and a fifth and a sixth and a seventh and an eighth and a ninth and a tenth and an eleventh and a twelfth and a thirteenth and a fourteenth and a fifteenth and a sixteenth and a seventeenth. He stopped because he was caught.

Let him rot.

Dude should never be set free.

D.C. was a crazy place to be back then. September 11th, planes into the pentagon, Anthrax being sent through the mail shortly afterward, DC sniper terrorizing people getting gas. All of this within a years time I believe.

The "he was a kid" excuse works for things like shoplifting or maybe beating someone up. It does not work for mass murderers. At 17 you know you should not kill people and if you do, you deserve to be locked away to keep the rest of us safe.

The "he was a kid" excuse works for things like shoplifting or maybe a beating someone up. It does not work for mass murderers. At 17 you know you should not kill people and if you do, you deserve to be locked away to keep the rest of us safe.

Unless your parental figure is a psycho that brainwashes you.

ShinAmano

Always have to shake my head reading threads like this.

He shouldn't be breathing at this point. Give him a new sentence that is harsher.

Top Bottom