• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D.C. sniper asks for new sentencing in light of Supreme Court rulings on juveniles

Breads

Banned
You're like the 6th person in this thread asking for juveniles to get the death penalty so I don't know why you are acting like it's a brave stance.
You are projecting.

You are also defending a mass murderer, a DC sniper, presumably, because it makes you feel like the better person. You might think that a more brave stance. It may be... but not for the reasons you may think.

If you have a problem with minors being treated differently than adults in the criminal justice system I don't know what to tell you.

If we're talking rule of law, then I agree. If we're talking developmentally, then I possibly agree. Some 17 year olds are more mature than some 35 year olds I've met, and are capable of full understanding of their actions.

I don't know whether the shooter in this case was. In any case, rule of law applies, and we have to follow that, like it or not.

I do NOT believe that those posting that they'd go for the death penalty for minors are thinking that the shooter was a victim, or an immature child that didn't know right from wrong. More along the lines of them seeing his age as what saved him from possible consequences of his actions.

Everyone should cool it, I think.

Kthulhu

You are projecting.

You are also defending a mass murderer, a DC sniper, presumably, because it makes you feel like the better person. You might think that a more brave stance. It may be... but not for the reasons you may think.

They aren't projecting. You're calling for murder. Of someone who was underage no less.

ShinAmano

It's not ideals. I'm not saying this guy is ready to get out of prison, but if he's truly been rehabilitated, why keep him there?
Murder is a crime (along with rape and maybe a handful of others) the people should not get to walk free.

The families of those impacted will never be free why should the criminal who caused it?

I really don't get the "he was just a kid" defense. He was 17 and killed 17 people. He knew what he was doing. If he was 18 when this happened, then the punishment would match the crime? Please.

Let him rot for the crimes he committed.

Why bother letting him rot in prison? Just execute him if that's your stance.

Kthulhu

Murder is a crime (along with rape and maybe a handful of others) the people should not get to walk free.

The families of those impacted will never be free why should the criminal who caused it?

This doesn't make sense. Keeping him locked up forever if he doesn't need to be won't help the families.

MUnited83

For you.
You are projecting.

How is advocating for a legal system that isn't complete shit that doesn't work "defending a mass murderer"?

Breads

Banned
They aren't projecting. You're calling for murder.
They are. Calling for the death of a mass murdering serial killer isn't a bold stance nor did I act like it was. Both of you seem like you want to cut to the quick. I can play that game too.

If you side with mass murderers and serial killers just say so. Add any caveat you must. Just keep it short and concise. And don't bury the lead either.

Kthulhu

They are. Calling for the death of a mass murdering serial killer isn't a bold stance nor did I act like it was. Both of you seem like you want to cut to the quick. I can play that game too.

If you side with mass murderers and serial killers just say so. Add any caveat you must. Just keep it short and concise. And don't bury the lead either.

I chose reasonable punishment based on facts rather then blind rage based on ignorance. So whatever side you'd like to call that.

Again their punishment is a life sentence so should his be.

Again, why should it be? The families aren't constantly in grief. They get over it eventually. This guy is trapped in prison for the rest of his life. Even though he might not need to be.

MUnited83

For you.

Yeah i guess people should support the US system that actually manages to produce more serial killers, more mass murderers, hell, more criminals of every kind in general.

I side with mass murderers and serial killers.

caveat: If they are given the death penalty because it is barbaric and wrong and I, as a tax payer, don't want to be complicit in their murder. Especially if they are a juvenile.

Cocaloch

If you side with mass murderers and serial killers just say so.

Haha. Come on man. You're trying way too hard here.

Covering up your kneejerk emotional response by acting like anyone who actually wants to spend mental energy thinking about the justice system is siding "with mass murders and serial killers" is beyond ridiculous.

Uncritical assumptions about justice handed down from a second millennium B.C. warlord should not be the basis of our legal system.

If he was sniping soldiers in Afghanistan today we would blow up a hospital and half a city block to kill him.
So why would we let him out of jail?
He laid down in a car and fired through a hole in the trunk. He's a terrorist. And maybe I'm confused but aren't laws on terrorism so scary because they good your rights? How does he get a second chance?

B4s5C

I recently listened to the Generation Why podcast on the Beltway Snipers.

It's pretty horrifying how it all went down but apparently Malvo was being sexually abused by John Allen Mohammad among other abuses as Mohammad was pretty insane and Malvo's home life was pretty fucked up.

The big takeaway I got was the failure of the court system to recognize the early warning signs of Mohammad and the danger he posed to his ex-wife and others. He was the Mastermind of the operation, and by my readings of Malvo after the trials and his time in prison, he seems to me to recognize the pain and suffering he has caused.

Overall I say it's worth the time to reevaluate his sentencing. I also recommend listening to the Generation Why podcast about it as it's pretty fascinating looking at the whole timeline of events.

Edit: Article from 2007 where Malvo calls a victim's mother to apologize

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/10/02/five-years-after-killings-sniper-calls-victim-daughter.html

ShinAmano

Again, why should it be? The families aren't constantly in grief. They get over it eventually. This guy is trapped in prison for the rest of his life. Even though he might not need to be.
The fuck?

One of the top 5 stupidest things I have ever read on gaf. Congratulations!

reckless

I chose reasonable punishment based on facts rather then blind rage based on ignorance. So whatever side you'd like to call that.

Luckily most people disagree with your 'reasonable' punishment.

Yeah those families just get over their family members getting brutally and senselessly murdered.

I guess he can get over being in prison for the rest of his life.

Luschient

The families aren't constantly in grief. They get over it eventually.

The fuck?

"Hey, you know your kid who was murdered while pumping gas by a couple of guys whose goal it was to terrorize the country and throw it into chaos...get over it"

Again, why should it be? The families aren't constantly in grief. They get over it eventually. This guy is trapped in prison for the rest of his life.

Of course they all get over it. That’s a given. You didn’t even need to say it.

It’s like Benjamin Franklin said: “In this world, nothing can be said to be certain except death, taxes, and whenever someone you love is brutally murdered, you’re going to get over it, you mourning little bitch.”

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The fuck?

"Hey, you know your kid who was murdered while pumping gas by a couple of guys whose goal it was to terrorize the country and throw it into chaos...get over it"

It gets better.

"We know we told you he'd be locked up for the rest of his life so he couldn't hurt you or your community anymore, but we think he's really sorry so we're releasing him into your community again. Try to avoid triggering him again!"

Kthulhu

Luckily most people disagree with your 'reasonable' punishment.

Yeah those families just get over their family members getting brutally and senselessly murdered.

I guess he can get over being in prison for the rest of his life.

Yes, they do. My great grandmother died 5 years ago. I'm over it. I don't feel sad anymore. I've moved on.

Keeping a man in prison if he doesn't need to be there is inhumane.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anybody remember how intense it was when this was happening? I remember watching the news everyday feeling like they could end up shooting in any state.

I had to go to an outdoor wedding a few hundred yards from one of the shootings while they were still at large and my wife yelled at me for walking to the gas station for sofa.

reckless

Why is that luckily? Like what part exactly of the US justice system do you think is working well?
With some crimes like this I think the US justice system works a lot better then a lot of countries. I'm happy his partner got executed, and would happily sentence this guy to life in prison if I was on the jury

You can be against the severity of punishment in regards to white collar crime and smaller crime while still being in favor of serve punishment for especially heinous crimes like this. They ain't mutually exclusive.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody remember how intense it was when this was happening? I remember watching the news everyday feeling like they could end up shooting in any state.

We had recess inside every day for a month and every time I saw a windowless white van you usually stared at it until it passed.

Are we pretending that people at 17 aren't able to appreciate that killing is wrong now? Killing a bunch of people is just a dumb teenage "mistake"?

Cocaloch

With some crimes like this I think the US justice system works a lot better then a lot of countries. I'm happy his partner got executed, and would happily sentence this guy to life in prison if I was on the jury

You can be against the severity of punishment in regards to white collar crime and smaller crime while still being in favor of serve punishment for especially heinous crimes like this. They ain't mutually exclusive.

Except for the fact that the severity of punishment in all areas is related more generally from our societal understandings of punishment and justice which are both deeply problematic. Like why would you ever happily sentence someone to life in prison? I get solemnly or because you think it's your duty. But happily?

Also, what countries are you talking about exactly?

Are we pretending that people at 17 aren't able to appreciate that killing is wrong now?

No, and no one in this thread has said anything to that effect.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
This doesn't make sense. Keeping him locked up forever if he doesn't need to be won't help the families.

Explain what you didn't understand. You said he should be in prison forever because the families are suffering forever, but they aren't. People move past it eventually.

What the fuck am I reading.
That's right I forgot, Lee Boyd Malvo is the real victim. He was just a kid after all.

Yes, they do. My great grandmother died 5 years ago. I'm over it. I don't feel sad anymore. I've moved on.

You need to stop your roll while you are behind. You clearly have no idea what you are actually talking about.

hobozero

"Lori Ann Lewis-Rivera, 25, was a graduate of the Northwest Nannies Institute in Oregon, and proud of it. She found the work she sought in the Washington, D.C.-area, and had just dropped off her 3 ½ year-old daughter at day care on the morning of Oct. 3. She then stopped to clean her car at a gasoline station when she was killed."

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123831&page=1

At what point does that 3 year old "get over it"?

Kthulhu

The fuck?

It gets better.

"We know we told you he'd be locked up for the rest of his life so he couldn't hurt you or your community anymore, but we think he's really sorry so we're releasing him into your community again. Try to avoid triggering him again!"

No people don't just get over it. What the fuck are you talking about?

It's​ been 10 years. Not 10 days.

Are you seriously arguing that the victims families feel just as bad today as the day they found out their family member died?

reckless

Was she brutally murdered? Do you have to deal with her murderer potentially walking free?

It's not ideals. I'm not saying this guy is ready to get out of prison, but if he's truly been rehabilitated, why keep him there?

I believe certain crimes are irredeemable. Let him live out his life humanely in a prison(sadly not the condition of our prisons) but you don't deserve freedom after taking part in murdering 17 people no matter how "rehabilitated" you are.

whitehawk

Banned
Man I remember this case. I think their plan was to kill several people first before they killed the father's girlfriend, so that it would seem like a random murderr and the wouldn't​ be suspected. But they got caught before they could even kill her.

They also modded their car so the kid couldn't​ be seen, shooting out a small hole of the car I believe.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Are you seriously arguing that the victims families feel just as bad today as the day they found out their family member died?

Probably not, but I'm pretty sure they'd feel incredibly angry and afraid if they released Malvo back into their neighborhood after finding some kind of solace in the fact that he'd never get the chance to harm another innocent again.

ShinAmano

You are delusional.

They didn't just die...they were brutally murdered. That cut runs deep and no the loss of a family member never goes away...and people don't 'Get over it's.

reckless

Except for the fact that the severity of punishment in all areas is related more generally from our societal understandings of punishment and justice which are both deeply problematic. Like why would you ever happily sentence someone to life in prison? I get solemnly or because you think it's your duty. But happily?

Also, what countries are you talking about exactly?
And I can disagree with that, I'm not personally responsible for all punishments given out by the justice system. My opinion however I am, and there is a stark difference in the need of punishment and rehibilitation between mass murderers and a drug dealer.

Happily I guess isn't the best word, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Pretty much all other countries, since I'm fine with the death penalty in extreme cases, like his partner.

hobozero

Man I remember this case. I think their plan was to kill several people first before they killed the father's girlfriend, so that it would seem like a random murderr and the wouldn't​ be suspected. But they got caught before they could even kill her.

They also modded their car so the kid couldn't​ be seen, shooting out a small hole of the car I believe.

They modified the car so they could lay down in the trunk and fire out the back, then the driver would pull away and park somewhere else. At the height they killed 5 in one day, IIRC.

Also, for the on topic record I would say that if the SC ruling has changed sentencing, then he deserves a new hearing. The law's the law. I would support the SC reviewing drug sentencing guidelines and mandatory minimums, so I sort of have to support this, too.

MUnited83

For you.
Was she brutally murdered? Do you have to deal with her murderer potentially walking free?

Potentially what? A re-sentencing doesn't mean he'll go free, it just means there will be a new sentence. Which would likely be life in prison again, with the possibility of parole, which likely wouldn't ever be granted.

You are delusional.

They didn't just die...they were brutally murdered. That cut runs deep and no the loss of a family member never goes away...and people don't 'Get over it's.

Not all families are filled with bloodlust or wish to have the perpetuator killed. That isn't bringing back anyone. And the law system doesn't allow victims to be the ones deciding sentences, for a good reason.

Nafai1123

Banned
Personally I would be fine with him being transferred to a psychiatric facility where he can actually be rehabilitated instead of just locked up or put to death. He was 17 and manipulated by an older parental figure.

Kthulhu

I believe certain crimes are irredeemable. Let him live out his life humanely in a prison(sadly not the condition of our prisons) but you don't deserve freedom after taking part in murdering 17 people no matter how "rehabilitated" you are.

Again. Why do you believe that? What logic do you base your belief on?

The DC sniper wouldn't be walking free. He'd have served his time and paid his Debt to society.

"Lori Ann Lewis-Rivera, 25, was a graduate of the Northwest Nannies Institute in Oregon, and proud of it. She found the work she sought in the Washington, D.C.-area, and had just dropped off her 3 ½ year-old daughter at day care on the morning of Oct. 3. She then stopped to clean her car at a gasoline station when she was killed."

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123831&page=1

At what point does that 3 year old "get over it"?

You're ignoring my argument.

What the fuck am I reading.
That's right I forgot, Lee Boyd Malvo is the real victim. He was just a kid after all.

Never called him a victim. He deserved to be punished, but if he's been rehabilitated, then let him out.

reckless

Potentially what? A re-sentencing doesn't mean he'll go free, it just means there will be a new sentence. Which would likely be life in prison again, with the possibility of parole, which likely wouldn't ever be granted.
If he has the possibility of paroles he can potententially walk free...

And in this case the person I was responding to would be fine with him being parolled.

matt05891

The post he replied to said he should be released when he is "rehabilitated". Which imo is ridiculous for a mass murderer/serial killer but hey it's NeoGaf.

Jindrax

Threads like these always show the enormous gaps in intelligence​ and education of the members in this forum.

Top Bottom