• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D-pad of xbone vs ps4 controllers

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
My Xbox360 controller which I use for pc is getting old and I'm looking to replace it. The most critical part for me is the D-pad. Did Microsoft fix the D-pad on the xbone controller to make it better for fighting games and sidescrollers (basically more clicky and less analogue-y, if that makes sense) or should I go with the dualshock 4?

KillGore

This may come down as personal preference but I feel that the dualshock's d-pad is light years ahead of the xbone ones. Vita d-pad is still king imo.

That's not to say the xbone d-pad is bad though, they have improved over previous generations.

Kilau

I think the elite controller has a good d-pad option. Not sure about the standard xbone controller though.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
XBO d-pad is better than the 360 one, but still not great. DS4 has the best d-pad, period.

Kysen

Its far better than the 360 pad for sure but I prefer the DS4 dpad. The only reason why I use the X1 controller on PC over it is the battery life and native support.

BlakeofT

Do you currently have an Xbox 360 controller? Can't tell from the way OP is worded.

If so, XB1 controller' s Dpad is light years better than 360 Dpad, but the DS4 Dpad is also very good. Altogether, I like the XB1 controller the best.

PeterGAF

Banned
If you were to spend money on the elite controller the fancy faceted d-pad it comes with is really good.

Edit: this one

s-l1000.jpg

front.jpg

Clive

The X1 D-pad gets the job done for switching weapons and such but if it's the main control method in a game then I buy the game on PS4 in spite of generally playing multiplats on Xbox.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Do you currently have an Xbox 360 controller? Can't tell from the way OP is worded.

If so, XB1 controller' s Dpad is light years better than 360 Dpad, but the DS4 Dpad is also very good. Altogether, I like the XB1 controller the best.

I honestly don't remember if I have the xb360 or the og xbox controller. It's definitely not the xbone controller though.

Edit: it's the Xbox 360 controller I have, D-pad is horrible.

Xbox One D-Pad is fine. I would easily see myself 100% Super Meat Boy again with it honestly. It's responsive and it's well-shaped. PS4 D-pad works about as good for me.

Aceofspades

Banned
You can argue stick placement or ergonomics between DS4/and Xbox controllers, they are preferences at the end, but its a well known fact that DS4 has easily the better D-Pad. Try playing Tekken 7 with both controllers and you get the meaning...DS4 is simply better

def sim

Both d-pads are accurate. It comes down to if you prefer a clicky/smaller d-pad (Xbox) or softer/segmented d-pad (DS4).

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
People recommending the elite controller, can't tell if you're serious but I just googled it and it's $160 Canadian, no thanks.

Okay so I'm getting opposite opinions here... I need to know that you actually threw D-pad for fighting games extensively otherwise your experience is probably not relevant.

kc44135

Disappointing to hear that the D-pad still doesn't quite measure up to the DS4. It's really important for retro/indie stuff, and the occasional game that just isn't designed with analog sensitivity in mind (i.e. Crash Bandicoot).

If you were to spend money on the elite controller the fancy faceted d-pad it comes with is really good.

Edit: this one

That's the D-pad for the Elite controller!? It, uh, looks kind of horrible?

def sim

People recommending the elite controller, can't tell if you're serious but I just googled it and it's $160 Canadian, no thanks.

Okay so I'm getting opposite opinions here... I need to know that you actually threw D-pad for fighting games extensively otherwise your experience is probably not relevant.

You're not going to have problems doing tiger knee/instant air moves or EWGF on either pad, seriously.

RM8

FWIW I play mostly fighting games :x Street Fighter, Tekken, KOF, MK, etc.

It's definitely leagues ahead of the 360 D-Pad, yes, though whether you like it comes down to preference:

The DualShock 4 controller is pretty much identical to the D-Pad in the PSP-3000 - it's a large, mushy D-Pad but it also has a satisfying amount of travel to it. It isn't like the Vita D-Pad though which is smaller but clicky.

The Xbox One controller is more like a Nintendo handheld D-Pad, but larger. It is satisfyingly clicky but it also takes a bit more effort to operate. The earlier XBO controllers had metal domes beneath them making it very "clacky" but tactile to use all 4/8 directions, However I'll point out that my later XBO controller from last year is quieter and has less oomph to its feedback, I think they changed to plastic domes.

Basically, they are both good D-Pads, so it really depends on whether you prefer a mushy or clicky D-Pad.

PeterGAF

Banned
it looks weird but I swear it's really good! I think most people would tell you the same. And you can swap it out for a more traditional cross d-pad if you want. But the faceted d-pad is the best in my opinion

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
FWIW I play mostly fighting games :x Street Fighter, Tekken, KOF, MK, etc.

Definitely contemplating that horipad, please tell me more. Should I get the regular or the pro? I don't care about programmable buttons. It won't have any compatibility issues on pc?
I like that's it's wired too.

Marvel

could never
The DS4 d-pad is much better than the XB1 imo. The XB1 is too stiff and clicky.
100% agree.

Love my xbox but damn do fighters feel better on the DS4 D-Pad for me. Had to buy the KI TE2 Stick for the bone in the end.

Not tried an Elite, I'd like to though.

L.O.R.D

Disappointing to hear that the D-pad still doesn't quite measure up to the DS4. It's really important for retro/indie stuff, and the occasional game that just isn't designed with analog sensitivity in mind (i.e. Crash Bandicoot).

You can switch the dpad to regular one if you want

You can also try the switch pro controller.

RM8

Definitely contemplating that horipad, please tell me more. Should I get the regular or the pro? I don't care about programmable buttons. It won't have any compatibility issues on pc?
The regular one should be good. Man, if you have never used a Hori d-pad, you're in for a revelation, lol. You won't have compatibility issues since this is a XB1 controller - though I use the 360 one. PC has native compatibility with 360 and XB1 controllers AFAIK. Also honestly having the correct button prompts is nice (this is something I hate about using PS controllers on PC).

BTW how abut this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSEPQ55/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I want some of these myself :0

You can argue stick placement or ergonomics between DS4/and Xbox controllers, they are preferences at the end, but its a well known fact that DS4 has easily the better D-Pad. Try playing Tekken 7 with both controllers and you get the meaning...DS4 is simply better

Reading this thread I'm not too sure you're right, in fact I would say you are wrong.

SpacLock

It's really good especially on the Elite controller with the circular pad. But for what it's worth I've heard better things about the PS4 d-pad, and one of my buddies that has both the Elite and the PS4 controllers for PC will switch to the PS4 controller if we play 2d d-pad focused games.

It really will come down to preference though. Personally, I like the precise clicky pad on the Xbox controllers for fighters. I've played fighters with the Elite controller and have performed pretty well and consistent with my d-pad focused executions, but if you're really into fighters you should look for a good arcade stick instead.

DPB

I don't particularly like either, but I still prefer the DS4 by some distance. The Xbone d-pad doesn't feel that responsive to me - it feels like it needs more force than a typical d-pad, and if you press gently on the edge is doesn't always respond.

The DS4 is fine, but I've never liked "4 buttons" style, even if it is functionally identical to a normal d-pad.

In an ideal world, one of the console manufacturers would ripoff the Saturn d-pad 1:1.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
It's really good especially on the Elite controller with the circular pad. But for what it's worth I've heard better things about the PS4 d-pad, and one of my buddies that has both the Elite and the PS4 controllers for PC will switch to the PS4 controller if we play 2d d-pad focused games.

It really will come down to preference though. Personally, I like the precise clicky pad on the Xbox controllers for fighters. I've played fighters with the Elite controller and have performed pretty well and consistent with my d-pad focused executions, but if you're really into fighters you should look for a good arcade stick instead.

I have an arcade stick, I'm just trying to gauge people's familiarity and level of use by asking if they use the D-pad for fighting games. I'm planning to use it mostly for older games like Symphony of the night which has some moves that use fighting game motions, so I want the best D-pad for executing these types of motions. Think I'm gonna with the horipad!

I've been using the Hori Fight Commander for the past few months and its great so far. May take a bit getting used to the form factor and breaking in the dpad, but after that its smooth sailing.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I don't particularly like either, but I still prefer the DS4 by some distance. The Xbone d-pad doesn't feel that responsive to me - it feels like it needs more force than a typical d-pad, and if you press gently on the edge is doesn't always respond.

The DS4 is fine, but I've never liked "4 buttons" style, even if it is functionally identical to a normal d-pad.

In an ideal world, one of the console manufacturers would ripoff the Saturn d-pad 1:1.

I'm currently having the nonresponsiveness when I press right on my 360 Dpad which is what triggered this thread.

I thought everyone agreed that DS3 and DS4 had the best d-pad, but surprisingly there are a lot of people saying the XB1 controller... have to give it a try.

SpacLock

I have an arcade stick, I'm just trying to gauge people's familiarity and level of use by asking if they use the D-pad for fighting games. I'm planning to use it mostly for older games like Symphony of the night which has some moves that use fighting game motions, so I want the best D-pad for executing these types of motions. Think I'm gonna with the horipad!

If you're wanting to play some older games, especially a Metroidvania type, I can offer a cheap suggestion. I bought this SNES controller for PC and it's only $18. I love it.

Right here.

There may be better, but this is the only one I've purchased and tested. It's excellent for older games that don't require more than 6 buttons and the d-pad works like it should.

The regular one should be good. Man, if you have never used a Hori d-pad, you're in for a revelation, lol. You won't have compatibility issues since this is a XB1 controller - though I use the 360 one. PC has native compatibility with 360 and XB1 controllers AFAIK. Also honestly having the correct button prompts is nice (this is something I hate about using PS controllers on PC).

BTW how abut this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSEPQ55/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I want some of these myself :0

I have the PS4 version of this controller, and the D pad hurts my fingers after an hour of play. I got one for Street Fighter V, and I've noticed other people having the same issues. I thought that maybe I would break it in eventually, but that never happened.

Maybe for non fighters it would be ok. I'll test it out on my PC and see.

EmiPrime

I have the Xbox One HORI fighting commander but I assume it's the same as the PS4 one. The front buttons and the d-pad are great. The rear most shoulder buttons however are really bad as they are over-sized and if you press them at the wrong angle contact isn't made and you drop an input.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I have the Xbox One HORI fighting commander but I assume it's the same as the PS4 one. The front buttons and the d-pad are great. The rear most shoulder buttons however are really bad as they are over-sized and if you press them at the wrong angle contact isn't made and you drop an input.

This is not the same one as the horipad though? Or are you saying they all have the same D-pad?

RM8

I thought everyone agreed that DS3 and DS4 had the best d-pad, but surprisingly there are a lot of people saying the XB1 controller... have to give it a try.
DS3!? Holy cow no.

This is not the same one as the horipad though? Or are you saying they all have the same D-pad?
All Horipads are pretty much the same in my experience. An exception would be the new Switch controller, it looks completely different.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
DS3!? Holy cow no.

All Horipads are pretty much the same in my experience. An exception would be the new Switch controller, it looks completely different.

Do you have the issue where your hands get tired after an hour of playing with the D-pad like the other poster?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
If you're wanting to play some older games, especially a Metroidvania type, I can offer a cheap suggestion. I bought this SNES controller for PC and it's only $18. I love it.

Right here.

There may be better, but this is the only one I've purchased and tested. It's excellent for older games that don't require more than 6 buttons and the d-pad works like it should.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd rather get a modern controller with a good D-pad, I play all sorts of games and would rather have the compatibility.

Top Bottom