• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D-pad of xbone vs ps4 controllers

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I got the xb1 controller and will try it shortly, if it sucks I'll return it and get the dualshock4. With the DS4 in a little concerned about game compatibility...

XB1's d-pad is better than 360's d-pad but it still bad. If you wish to play fighting games with XB1's d-pad you will have a hard time.

PS4's d-pad is way superior.

Not necessarily. I love it for fighting games, the clicky sound/feel works amazing for me.

Dysun

The XBO controller's DPAD is a mile better than the 360's but its still not good. DS4 wins in this comparison

bman94

Xbox One D-Pad. It's perfect for fighters and side scrollers. I hate playing fighters on the PS4 controller cause that D-Pad physically hurts after like 10 minutes of play. I never liked Sony D-Pads but the PS4 controller is at least tolerable. But yeah stick with the Xbox One D-Pad, it's excellent.

Xbox One D-Pad. It's perfect for fighters and side scrollers. I hate playing fighters on the PS4 controller cause that D-Pad physically hurts after like 10 minutes of play. I never liked Sony D-Pads but the PS4 controller is at least tolerable. But yeah stick with the Xbox One D-Pad, it's excellent.

Must be opposite day

Xbone dpad is garbage for fighting games. DS4's dpad isn't perfect but it's a WHOLE lot better than what the other current gen consoles are offering there. Xbone Elite might be better (haven't used) but at $150 it really should be lol

EBE

Don't play fighters so I haven't had much use, if at all, of my Xbox dpad since launch.

I always find this discussion to be unnecessary in practical terms.

bman94

Must be opposite day

Xbone dpad is garbage for fighting games. DS4's dpad isn't perfect but it's a WHOLE lot better than what the other current gen consoles are offering there. Xbone Elite might be better (haven't used) but at $150 it really should be lol

Must be bizarro world. Killer Instinct, Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat X are all wonderful on Xbox One d-pad. It's the fact that the D-Pad on the PS4 is disconnected on the PS4. It's so uncomfortable and doesn't allow you to easily flow between moves. Instead the feel like buttons and your finger just digs into that middle section and it doesn't feel responsive at all. Because everything is angled doing something like a half circle feels junky cause you're essentially moving your finger over three different buttons (at least it feels that way) to perform the move, as opposed to one sweeping motion on the fully connected Xbox One D-Pad.

Must be bizarro world. Killer Instinct, Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat X are all wonderful on Xbox One d-pad. It's the fact that the D-Pad on the PS4 is disconnected on the PS4. It's so uncomfortable and doesn't allow you to easily flow between moves. Instead the feel like buttons and your finger just digs into that middle section and it doesn't feel responsive at all. Because everything is angled doing something like a half circle feels junky cause you're essentially moving your finger over three different buttons (at least it feels that way) to perform the move, as opposed to one sweeping motion on the fully connected Xbox One D-Pad.

I've been using dpads as long as I've been gaming so I've got rough skin on my left thumb and it just slides across the DS4 dpad. Sucks you got that baby skin dawg.

Must be opposite day

XBO dpad is awesome for fighting games, at least for me. As I just said in other post, the clicky feel helps me a lot. So yeah, opinions.

cakely

Both are far better than the Xbox 360 d-pad which was honestly pretty broken.

I give the DS4 d-pad the edge, but I don't have any problem with either.

Van Bur3n

Can't say I've felt either one of them to be better or worse than the other. Although I have felt at times that PS4 d-pad not registering when I press it, but perhaps that was just Nioh being shitty since I haven't experienced it in any other game.

Regardless of the d-pad, Xbox game pad is still the best in every way.

PS4 D-pad is ass and I don't know why everyone loves it so much

OP is gonna grab a DS4 and be left confused at how anyone could have recommended that mushy, zero-feedback disc-pad-feeling piece o' shit

I hope it's not too late to warn OP.

PLZ OP, I BEG U TO READ THIS IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH THE XBOX ONE CONTROLLER.

SUPPPPPPPER IMPORTANT!! DON'T BUY THE XBOX CONTROLLER WITHOUT A HEADPHONE JACK. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

For people don't know, different versions of Xbox One Controller has bad to PERFECT d-pad.

1. The original Xbox One Controller(the only version without a headphone jack) D-Pad: require large force to click. Loud and not very clicky. Uncomfortable clicking sensation. (The shoulder buttons are unusable.)

2. Xbox Controllers with headphone jack(the version that has a headpone jack but without bluetooth): a bit better than the original but is basically the same.(RB and LB shoulder buttons improve vastly though)

3. Elite: It's elite.

4. Xbox One Bluetooth controller(the ones come with the One S and design lab): the best d-pad I've ever used, even better than elite (I've played ps3, PS4, Nintendo 3ds, 360, switch). Oh, and best shoulder button ever.

In conclusion, buy the Bluetooth version. Avoid the ones without a headphone jack at all cost.

PLZ, I BEG U TO READ THIS IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH THE XBOX ONE CONTROLLER.

SUPPPPPPPER IMPORTANT!! DON'T BUY THE XBOX CONTROLLER WITHOUT A HEADPHONE JACK. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

For people don't know, different versions of Xbox One Controller has bad to PERFECT d-pad.

1. The original Xbox One Controller D-Pad: require large force to click. Loud and not very clicky. Uncomfortable clicking sensation. (The shoulder buttons are unusable.)

2. Xbox Controllers with headphone jack: a bit better than the original but is basically the same.(RB and LB shoulder buttons improve vastly though)

4. Xbox One Bluetooth controller: the best d-pad I've ever used, even better than elite (I've played ps3, PS4, Nintendo 3ds, 360, switch). Oh, and best shoulder button ever.

In conclusion, buy the Bluetooth version. Avoid the ones without a headphone jack at all cost.

Mine has no headphone jack. But it doesn't require force at all and is very clicky, maybe they changed it at some point before the headphone version? Or I just got used to it.

That explains why I'm sitting here wondering how anyone could put the DS4 d-pad over the X1's. I guess some suck more than others. All mine are BT X1 controllers so I apparently have the good dpad? And yeah its way way better than the mushpad on DS4

Van Bur3n

1. The original Xbox One Controller(the only version without a headphone jack) D-Pad: require large force to click. Loud and not very clicky. Uncomfortable clicking sensation. (The shoulder buttons are unusable.)

2. Xbox Controllers with headphone jack(the version that has a headpone jack but without bluetooth): a bit better than the original but is basically the same.(RB and LB shoulder buttons improve vastly though)

4. Xbox One Bluetooth controller(the ones come with the One S and design lab): the best d-pad I've ever used, even better than elite (I've played ps3, PS4, Nintendo 3ds, 360, switch). Oh, and best shoulder button ever.

I've had this same Xbone controller since 2014 and haven't felt this at all with the d-pad. But I suppose you might as well get the version with the headphone jack anyway because it has a headphone jack.

XB1's D-pad is fine, but for fighting games I would easily recommend the Hori Fightpad Pro if you're gonna go Xbox. It's a pretty rad little controller and fits great in the hand.

The DS4's D-pad is excellent out of the box.

It's really just dependent where you wanna play your games. Both are completely fine for what you wanna do.

Mine has no headphone jack. But it doesn't require force at all and is very clicky, maybe they changed it at some point before the headphone version? Or I just got used to it.

I think there's a large batch of OG controllers with d-pad defect. At least in my country, there's a long thread of discussion in our popular forum regarding the malfunction of left d-pad.

YaBish

I very recently played Injustice 2 on my PS4 and my buddy's Xb1. I think the DS4 is just more precise, especially for my thumbs. Having individual buttons is a lifesaver when you don't want to drop a combo.

DS4 D-pad, no contest.

I think that's correct before the Bluetooth version of Xbox controller came out. But now I think the new Xbox controller is better.

I judge the d-pad based on how easy is it to press the buttons or make the upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right command. I think in both cases, the Xbox One Controller takes the cake now.

Peterc

My Xbox360 controller which I use for pc is getting old and I'm looking to replace it. The most critical part for me is the D-pad. Did Microsoft fix the D-pad on the xbone controller to make it better for fighting games and sidescrollers (basically more clicky and less analogue-y, if that makes sense) or should I go with the dualshock 4?

I can tell you that the xbox one controller has one of the worst dpads i've ever played.
It's huge and its making that cheap clicking sound all the time.
I bought it only to use it for unity.

DS4 or switch doesn't have a dpad.It are buttons. Still hope they will release a joycon with a real dpad.

Speaking as a fighting game pad player, the DS4 d-pad is a regression from the DS3 d-pad but it's still light years ahead of Xbox 1's.

I can tell you that the xbox one controller has one of the worst dpads i've ever played.
It's huge and its making that cheap clicking sound all the time.
I bought it only to use it for unity.

DS4 or switch doesn't have a dpad.It are buttons. Still hope they will release a joycon with a real dpad.
Xbox has the smallest dpad of any controller this gen except the Joy-Con.

Also, Ps4 has a real dpad, it just appears split even though its all one big rocking disc piece of shit under the hood

Dolobill

I kinda prefer the Xbox One d-pad over the DS4. The DS4 has a nice feel on your thumb, but I find it a bit spongy. I can partially depress the buttons without activating them and that kinda bothers me. I like the clickiness of the Xbox One d-pad.

PeaceUK

As an extensive player of fighting games, DS4 dpad is the king.

As said by many people in this thread, the Xbone dpad is better than the 360s, but still not good, especially for playing fighting games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well now that the cross patent expired, the Xbox One now has a proper cross d-pad and it's great.

The DS4 dpad is kinda mushy. I play SFV with it and it's serviceable. It was terrible for MVCI for some reason though. However, get the Elite controller for Xbox. That dish is amazing for fighters.

The XB1 controller is a far better option than the 360 one for sure but if you're looking for a Dpad discussion then it should be the DS4 hands down. It's the best Dpad this industry has ever created for a home console (i only say "home console" because I know Vita truthers will bite my ass if i call the DS4 the best ever)

LeleSocho

Banned
Must be opposite day

I've been using dpads as long as I've been gaming so I've got rough skin on my left thumb and it just slides across the DS4 dpad. Sucks you got that baby skin dawg.

i really hate to sound like a prick but you have rough skin on your thumb because you have probably used crappy d-pads all your life and your preference for DS4 tells exactly that.
A good d-pad doesn't create calluses and rough skin even if you play 8 hours a day, that happens when you have a gap between the directional buttons like every sony controller ever or when the incision on the button is too deep compared to the whole surface like some controllers of the past.
Aside its position (which is understandable since nowadays the vast majority of games are 3d relegating the d-pad onto secondary position) the Xbone d-pad is absolutely great.

I dream of the day when we'll get a controller where analog and d-pad can be swapped at will.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

I just bought the Bluetooth version and I'm liking it. For those who know Symphony of the Night, my test to evaluate if the Dpad is good is to go up the hidden stairs with Richter at the beginning of the game and try to perform his dash move (motion to perform is up, down, down-forward, forward+attack) in the air continuously in the big room from one side of the room to the other without touching the floor. I was able to perform this easily with this dpad while it was near impossible with the 360 dpad. I'm pretty satisfied now, but I'm curious if the DS4 D-pad is even better than this.

Another issue we didn't talk about is input lag. I heard the DS4 has more input lag than the xbone pad? Is it true?

I've used both the Xbox One and PS4 Dpads for platformers and I found them to be accurate, but both were a little too stiff and hard to press for my liking.

The XB1 controller I used was clickly like everyone else has said and out of the box I think I preferred it over the PS4 dpad, but I only owned it for a week before returning it.

The PS4 on the other had might be a little easier to press and mushier in comparison, but combine that with the split dpad design and an hour after playing the new Shantae, my thumb was not feeling so great.

After looking around on how to make the Ps4's dpad easier to use I stumbled upon this flat button DPad Mod: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1JN9JC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

eGmE85G.jpg
After installation the dpad is definitely easier to press, but it is a little weird and takes a bit to get used to because of its larger size and convex shape, It also makes a little hard to press share button (which is used as the select button on PC), but this is easy to fix by just binding the touchpad button to select instead.

If I had to choose between the two controllers it would be
1. PS4 w/ Flat Button Mod
2. XB1 S (Bluetooth Model)
3. PS4 w/o the Mod

But, my preferred controller for PC atm is actually the Xbox 360 controller w/ Transforming Dpad. It's easy to manipulate and accurate enough for 2d platformers, but I'm not sure how well it would perform for 2d fighters.

Both are fine but I wouldnt want to play a actual D Pad focused game with a Xbox 1 controller if I had to choose.

Its better then the 360 for sure but its very shallow and kind of awkwardly placed on the controller for anything other then moving from the stick to quickly tap a button.

That 360 controller with the transforming d pad is still probably the best Xbox controller I have used but I have heard the d pad doesnt hold up long term and will break apart.

You can argue stick placement or ergonomics between DS4/and Xbox controllers, they are preferences at the end, but its a well known fact that DS4 has easily the better D-Pad. Try playing Tekken 7 with both controllers and you get the meaning...DS4 is simply better

Nah you're wrong. The Elite circle d-pad is miles ahead of everything else out there. I could even state that as fact but I won't be so bold as to presume I speak for everyone else. Just imo.

If anything the XBO dpad is too damn clicky now. Loud snap every press gets annoying. Dualshock 4 is the king of dpads. That said, XBOs native compatibility on PC makes it the better choice there still.

I own both controllers, the XB1 D-pad is a definite improvement over the 360 one. It's clicky like the GBA SP's, OG DS's, or I believe some versions of the 3DS are clicky like it. Both are competent for 2D games, for sure, and feel decent enough.

I'm not a big fan of the gaps in the center in DualShock D-pads, but outside of the Vita's, the DS4's D-pad center gap is the least-annoying it's ever felt on a DualShock. If you're used to D-pads that have just a little more give but not too much like the NES, SNES, DS Lite, Wii/Wii U Classic Controller, the DS4 will probably feel more familiar and comfortable.

I do have a preference for the DS4 for 2D games and the XB1 pad for 3D games, but both serve either purpose fine. For 2D though, I would give it to the DS4, although in my heart of hearts I wish they had used a Vita or [pre-Switch] Nintendo-style crosspad on it.

Before talking about the Xbone Dpad it's important to state which version. The Bluetooth controller has an improved Dpad and it's thoroughly decent and a huge upgrade over the 360 Dpad.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Before talking about the Xbone Dpad it's important to state which version. The Bluetooth controller has an improved Dpad and it's thoroughly decent and a huge upgrade over the 360 Dpad.

Yup this is the one I bought today, definitely a huge improvement.

Ivan

Xbox one controller's dpad is terrible imo. Too clicky and loud. It is responsive though, but this is not for playing games, just for menus.

DS4 dpad is good, but diagonals are a bit too hard to hit for me. I liked DS3's dpad more, that was perfect .

Gamespawn

i really hate to sound like a prick but you have rough skin on your thumb because you have probably used crappy d-pads all your life and your preference for DS4 tells exactly that.
A good d-pad doesn't create calluses and rough skin even if you play 8 hours a day, that happens when you have a gap between the directional buttons like every sony controller ever or when the incision on the button is too deep compared to the whole surface like some controllers of the past.
Aside its position (which is understandable since nowadays the vast majority of games are 3d relegating the d-pad onto secondary position) the Xbone d-pad is absolutely great.

I dream of the day when we'll get a controller where analog and d-pad can be swapped at will.
Calluses are caused by the friction between thumb and the material of the pad. It has nothing to do with the configuration of the dpad. The NES, SNES, Genesis and Saturn all had the cross shape and people that played fighting games on those would develop said calluses. Especially because of Capcom fighters.

Top Bottom