• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D-pad of xbone vs ps4 controllers

RM8

Do you have the issue where your hands get tired after an hour of playing with the D-pad like the other poster?
Honestly no, I play with no issues whatsoever. I actually only experienced this with Sony d-pads because the fragmented design creates more friction when changing directions.

The Elite Dpad is excellent and compares well to the DS4 dpad, but for standard controllers based on dpad alone, DS4 > Xbox One standard. I prefer the Xbox One controller in general to the DS4, but for the base controller variants, purely on the dpad, I think it goes to the DS4.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
The XB1 D-pad is great for basically every genre for my money, including pad fighters. I don't like the PS4's for fighters at all, specifically.

That said, the Elite's D-pad is far ahead of both. If you can afford it, don't miss out.

Disappointing to hear that the D-pad still doesn't quite measure up to the DS4. It's really important for retro/indie stuff, and the occasional game that just isn't designed with analog sensitivity in mind (i.e. Crash Bandicoot).

That's the D-pad for the Elite controller!? It, uh, looks kind of horrible?

I think in the default controller the dpad suffers a bit from being not in the prominent position. I dunno exactly why, but the elite disc dpad can shake this feeling completely for me.

Justinh

I don't know what you're referring to.

This is what I have.

I have this. I really like it. It's not as clicky as a standard Xbox One pad, but it's still not too mushy. I haven't played fighting games on it though. I mainly use it for side-scrollers like Slain.

I'm one of those people who prefers the Xbox One pad's Dpad over the DS4, but I hate (and always will) segmented dpads. I like how clicky it is too.

cackhyena

The Elite Dpad is excellent and compares well to the DS4 dpad, but for standard controllers based on dpad alone, DS4 > Xbox One standard. I prefer the Xbox One controller in general to the DS4, but for the base controller variants, purely on the dpad, I think it goes to the DS4.

All of this.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Now I'm wondering if I should get the elite... But it's so ridiculously expensive! Will it cook and clean too?

Malice215

For fighting games and side scrollers, I prefer the DS4.

The D-pad on the Xbox One controller is alot better than the one for the X360. I like the clickiness, but I don't like the placement for fighting games. I prefer the Xbox One controller for games that primarily use the analog controls.

Since you have been using the X360 controller for so long, I would replace it with the Xbox One controller.

kc44135

it looks weird but I swear it's really good! I think most people would tell you the same. And you can swap it out for a more traditional cross d-pad if you want. But the faceted d-pad is the best in my opinion

You can switch the dpad to regular one if you want

You can also try the switch pro controller.

Oh, it's good that they let you swap it. My reaction to the faceted D-pad is coming from someone that has never even seen a D-pad like that before, let alone used one. What makes it better than a regular cross-shaped pad out of curiosity?

LeleSocho

Banned
In classic Sony fashion their d-pad is terrible because they keep on having the gap at the neutral zone, Xbone controller is much much much better one of the best ever actually... too bad for its position.

xrnzaaas

I prefer the d-pad on the PS4, however the right button on my 2.5 year old pad is barely working even though in most games I use only the analogue stick. :/

Scrawnton

For me it's:

PS4 D-pad > XB1 D-pad

XB1 everything else > PS4 everything else

I love the XB1 controller and I use it on PC over the DS4; however, the d pad is very lacking.

Ushay

The revised XB1 DPad is pretty good, but the Elite Controller is even better if you are willing to pay the extra.

Gaogaogao

yes and yes. xbone controller is better than 360, but ds4 is better still. I only use xbone controller for the software support.

For me it's:

PS4 D-pad > XB1 D-pad

XB1 everything else > PS4 everything else

I love the XB1 controller and I use it on PC over the DS4; however, the d pad is very lacking.

I agree with you. Though, I've been playing with the Xbox one d-pad for 2D games a lot recently and found it surprisingly competent. Enough that I wouldn't just use a DS4 because of all the other advantages.

xabbott

XB1 is so much better than 360's. Overall I prefer it for PC gaming. DS4 is nice since the placement on the pad is comfortable. I rather have the correct button prompts in games though.

PS4 is much, much better. XB1 is a huge improvement over the 360 one, but it still feels shallow to me.

Vita is better than both though.

Fancolors

PS4 has the better d-pad between both options.

If you don't mind getting something with no analog sticks you could also get Hori's fighting commander or their Pokken pad. Their d-pad and buttons are absolutely fantastic.

Novocaine

DS4 pad is probably better than the XBO pad. Everything else about the XBO pad is leagues better than the DS4 though, ergonomics, battery life, triggers etc. the XBO pad is clicky too if that matters.

XBO d-pad is better than the 360 one, but still not great. DS4 has the best d-pad, period.

DS4 isn't even Sony's best d-pad.

Hmgnv8i.jpg

Duxxy3

XB d-pad got better. PS d-pad got worse. I think the DS3 and Vita d-pads are better than the PS4's.

I'd still rank the PS4 d-pad above the XB1's.

edit: Are you going to only play games that use a dpad? If you're using to be playing modern games that use an analog stick, then DS4's d-pad doesn't make up for the rest of that controller.

orborborb

I think I slightly prefer the mechanism in the One S Dpad to both the DS4 and the Switch.

But the controller design and Dpad location forces your thumb to operate the Dpad while very far away from the index finger against which your brain judges your thumb's position, making them less precise for everyone and more difficult to use at all for women or children or small-handed men.

linkboy

I use the XB1 controller with my PC and I've had no issues with the D-pad. I've played through AM2R perfectly fine with it.

It's much better then the 360 controller.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Hmmmm so after all these replies there seems to be no consensus. Does the majority agree that the elite D-pad is the best?

Actually I just researched the elite controller and it has horrible reviews all over the internet, apparently it has horrible build quality and breaks down within 2-3 months.

Malice215

I'm still mad that Sony didn't use the Vita style D-pad for the DS4. Vita and DS3 have better D-pads than the DS4.

Hmmmm so after all these replies there seems to be no consensus. Does the majority agree that the elite D-pad is the best?

It's really a matter what your preference is for the games that you play instead of looking for a consensus from other people. Start with a Xbox One pad and if you don't like it, return it and try the DS4 pad.

I find rolling my thumb around the DS4 Dpad to be easier since its a little softer, but I also feel like the Xbone pad is nice and clicky and precise.

For reference I've played SOTN on Xbone last week, and currently playing Crash on PS4

kubev

I'd definitely suggest the DualShock 4 over the Xbox One controller in terms of d-pad. Xbox d-pads just aren't great for fighting games (or for reliable diagonal presses in general). If you don't need an analog stick, then I'd suggest getting one of the Hori Fighting Commander controllers. You can get them in PlayStation 4 and Xbox One varieties, with the PlayStation 4 version having a switch that changes the functions of the d-pad and shoulder buttons and the Xbox One version having an Assign button that allows you to further remap your buttons.

zoodoo

Definitely DS4.

The xbox one dpad is way better than the 360 one but the positioning is still the same which to me was always an issue. And also I find it too flat.

I play any 2d or fighting game on ps4 for these reasons. For joystick though, its the opposite. I prefer xbox's sticks by far.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Actually I just researched the elite controller and it has horrible reviews all over the internet, apparently it has horrible build quality and breaks down within 2-3 months.

If you just want a controller for fighting games and sidescrollers with a decent dpad you really don't need to spend 150 bucks. For Street Fighter V I use the Hori Fighting Commander 4 (older model with asymmetrical body) and I bought a new model when I thought the old one was broken (it wasn't actually, oops) and it also feels great. Those controllers are pretty cheap as controllers go, but also lack rumble.

If I cared a lot about the dpad during general sidescroller play I'd use my DS4, but I'm lazy so I just use my wired 360 pad and usually the analog stick.

I think the majority here think the DS4 has the best d-pad.

This.

Go check out the gaf thread. Tons of people having issues. For that price I expect far better.

Avoided picking one up for my PC because of it.

The XO d-pad is much better than the 360 d-pad and if you prefer the plus style over the segmented then it is certainly worth picking up. I personally prefer squidgy d-pads like that on the DS3, especially for fighters. The DS4 has the best middle ground between clicky and squidgy. The XBO is the best if you like clicky and feels more solid and closer to Nintendo console d-pads. (the Vita has the best clicky d-pad by far though but you can't use that on PC so not relevant).

If you are gonna go for the XO you also have the Xbox Design Lab which allows you to customise it.

Nephtes

People recommending the elite controller, can't tell if you're serious but I just googled it and it's $160 Canadian, no thanks.

Okay so I'm getting opposite opinions here... I need to know that you actually threw D-pad for fighting games extensively otherwise your experience is probably not relevant.

I've used both pads for fighting games.

I cannot stand the DS4 D-pad for SFV.
Not at all. Got a Hori fight pad after like 2 days of play with the DS4.

I've had Killer Instinct for the XOne since day one.
I bought fight pad for it, but I went back to the standard XOne controller.
I love the clicky D-pad. It's very precise.

As others have said, I find the DS4's D-pad to be mushy and require to much activation force.

PeterGAF

Banned

My elite controller has held up well and I'm sure a lot of other people would tell you the same. Usually you'll only see complaints on the internet because people are more likely to come back and leave a review when their not happy as opposed to when they're satisfied. If you get a controller that is flawed MS has a pretty good track record of replacing elite controllers. That being said if you're really concerned then maybe don't spend $150 on one. It's not for everyone.

Kacho

The Xbox dpad is perfectly fine to me. If you don't like it you should probably go with the DS4 or get the Hori fightpad which has the best dpad ever and is perfect for a fighting game fix.

ethomaz

Banned
XB1's d-pad is better than 360's d-pad but it still bad. If you wish to play fighting games with XB1's d-pad you will have a hard time.

PS4's d-pad is way superior.

Top Bottom