• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DA4 will celebrate diversity - narrative lead motives questioned after questionable tweets

dottme

Am I the only one finding weird that he has a twitter account with 10k follower and identify as a developer of DA, so a completely public account and in it he is discussing his private life and family?
What the F...?

Did EA get invaded the last 5 years? Why are they suddenly doubling down on PC buzzwords instead of money? Trying to make their games political or controversial for the sake of political expediency will crash the company.

ROMhack

Did EA get invaded the last 5 years? Why are they suddenly doubling down on PC buzzwords instead of money? Trying to make their games political or controversial for the sake of political expediency will crash the company.

I think they're trying to reverse all the bad press they've gotten over the past few years. It comes across too much like an attempt to save their brand image.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

As an aside, this kind of stuff can be done brilliantly. For example, Clarissa written by Samuel Richardson in 1748, is a story about a women whose family is trying to force her into an unwanted marriage. It explores things like a woman’s legal standing, property rights, and social mores as well as the human cost when a person has no power to self determine. There is also implied same sex attraction. And it was all done without alienating 18th century readers.

I cannot see why a story written in 2018 couldn't be progressive while not alienating modern audiences. Like, I really think you have to set out to make people angry today via diversity.

joe_zazen

I think they're trying to reverse all the bad press they've gotten over the past few years. It comes across too much like an attempt to save their brand image.

Naw, they do it because it is profitable. EA just isnt any good at it. Now Disney, otoh, they know their shit.

If you want to save a victim that is drowning you don't throw him a bottle of water. If EA actually thinks this is doing anything for them than it was nice knowing them, they had a good run.

gioGAF

I think what is going on is that most of the so-called "games journalists" are "leftists". Many games companies, in an effort to help their games review well, have been pandering to these bone heads. You see evidence of this all over the place, praise for games that peddle the whole diversity, inclusion, equality narrative (none of these things are bad, however they have been bastardized to be something more than what is encompassed by the words themselves). Games that fail to pander are called out for not being diverse, inclusive, etc.

It really is a stupid cycle. The games journalists don't represent their audience, they are just a bunch of indoctrinated clowns parroting talking points from the latest and greatest woke movement hoping to score some points. I don't mind someone having an opinion, but labeling all other opinions as wrong or invalid is just the height of stupidity.

Hopefully these companies will continue to lose money and remember to treat their actual customers in a more respectful manner, to actually cater to their customers and not some ideologue working at some gaming site.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

There stock is already tanking like hell, there entire business is evolving around online gambling now most likely. When that gets a ban hammer which is only a matter of time they have some real problems going on there. If you got any EA stock i would have sold it off a while ago.

Petrae

Developers/community managers/anyone involved with making big budget games with lots of employees need to have PR talks about how to use social media. Weather they'r right or wrong or anything in between, you're jeopardizing the project by posting anything non-vanilla on social media. Just keep it to yourself or wait a few years until after the games release to give your real world views that everyone on the team may or may not share.

It’s really the same for anyone who associates their employer with their online selves. We’ve had this discussion repeatedly. Like it or not, once you list who your employer is online, you at least indirectly represent said employer in your online actions. I don’t care how many disclaimers you craft or what you *think* applies. The bullshit “These opinions are mine alone and don’t represent those of my employer” disclaimers are about as valuable as a counterfeit $100 bill. Said employer is still going to have to deal with complaints when you say or do something that riles people up online, and it’s possible that sales or earnings for said employer can be adversely affected by what you share (usually if it goes viral).

Employers need to have HR people train their employees on risky versus safe online behavior, and consequences must be drafted for those who behave counter to that training and wind up hurting the employer or causing the employer marked distress as a result.

It is crystal clear at this point that social media, when used without careful consideration, can cause serious damage to individuals and companies alike. People continue to use it without recognizing the responsibility that comes with it; at this point, I have no sympathy for those who lose their jobs as a result anymore. It’s nearly 2019, and people have been losing their jobs due to social media use for years. If you want to risk it, don’t play the victim card when you post something that goes viral and gets your ass fired. You did it to yourself.

I think what is going on is that most of the so-called "games journalists" are "leftists". Many games companies, in an effort to help their games review well, have been pandering to these bone heads. You see evidence of this all over the place, praise for games that peddle the whole diversity, inclusion, equality narrative (none of these things are bad, however they have been bastardized to be something more than what is encompassed by the words themselves). Games that fail to pander are called out for not being diverse, inclusive, etc.

It really is a stupid cycle. The games journalists don't represent their audience, they are just a bunch of indoctrinated clowns parroting talking points from the latest and greatest woke movement hoping to score some points. I don't mind someone having an opinion, but labeling all other opinions as wrong or invalid is just the height of stupidity.

Hopefully these companies will continue to lose money and remember to treat their actual customers in a more respectful manner, to actually cater to their customers and not some ideologue working at some gaming site.

It’s no secret that the majority of gaming press is liberal, leaning left to hard left. As they continue to exert what little power they have left to shame video game companies into bending to their wills, they continue to bleed members of their audience— who either don’t want to hear about the political side or just don’t care about politics. They can’t focus on the games anymore, because YouTube and Twitch talent have those bases covered better than games press has done since the end of the magazine era.

Once you choose a side, you alienate those on the opposite side... and therefore lose potential fans/readers/customers. It doesn’t matter to the bottom line whether you’re on the “right side of history” when earnings drop and money becomes tight.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
No, just pretend videogame sex. Oh and killing, lots and lots and lots of pretend killing.

Ain't that the truth of things. I'm ok with killing people and things in games, but honestly, I'd rather it was a sidecar to richer narrative experiences in the long-term.

Fantasy, science fiction, and super hero stories have ALWAYS had elements of overcoming prejudice, and promoting inclusiveness.

You're not one of those dirty elves are you?

You're not one of those awful magic users, are you?

You're not one of those inhuman replicants, are you?

You're not one of those mutants, are you?

I would imagine we ALL have enjoyed fiction with those elements. From X-Men and Blade Runner to The Witcher and Skyrim, to name just a handful of examples. The issue isn't that. The issue is how awkward, and ham-fisted, and preachy those topics will be when handled by someone who felt the need on their twitter profile to identify as an inter-sectional feminist and leftist, and who seems to have a history of "problematic" tweets.

Fantasy, science fiction, and super hero stories have ALWAYS had elements of overcoming prejudice, and promoting inclusiveness.

You're not one of those dirty elves are you?

You're not one of those awful magic users, are you?

You're not one of those inhuman replicants, are you?

You're not one of those mutants, are you?

I would imagine we ALL have enjoyed fiction with those elements. From X-Men and Blade Runner to The Witcher and Skyrim, to name just a handful of examples. The issue isn't that. The issue is how awkward, and ham-fisted, and preachy those topics will be when handled by someone who felt the need on their twitter profile to identify as an inter-sectional feminist and leftist, and who seems to have a history of "problematic" tweets.
Bingo!

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
And can you show the reason for their success is tied to their alleged progressiveness? If not, please insert the words "correlates with" in future similar claims.

I didn't say they were -- please read carefully next time. I'm just saying that diversity is clearly not the drag on sales that he so desperately wants it to be. If done reasonably well, it's at worst not a hindrance and at best a contributing factor to sales.

What an absurd claim. That in order for one to feel welcome playing games one has to share the most superficial of traits of the protagonist. That would mean men wouldn't be able to play as Lara Croft, women couldn't stand playing Nathan Drake, and neither would ever finish Ori and the Blind Forest.

The inanity of this logic cannot be overstated.

I didn't say that people couldn't feel welcome playing games that don't directly represent them. Again, please pay closer attention to what I'm actually saying. It's that representation matters to a significant degree. If you're in a minority group and all you ever see in games are white, straight men, how the hell are you going to see your experience reflected in the games you play? You can't ask every woman, every non-white person, every LGBT person to make their own game. At a certain point, the people already making games have to step up and acknowledge that people beyond their own demographic exist and have value.

Besides, your argument also conveniently sidesteps the presence of important major characters. Uncharted may have a male lead, for example, but many of its most important characters are women: Elena Fisher, Chloe Frazer, Nadine Ross... representation isn't just about who you get to play, it's about having prominent characters with depth and personality. Characters who aren't just part of the scenery or trophies for the men to win.

Please show this is how most gamers who are members of said communities feel. Show with numbers, data, that is. Please show that in order to "feel welcome playing " a title, one has to be given "characters and roles" one can "identify with". Also explain why in light of that logic games featuring protagonists no one can possibly identify with are still successful and why games which a certain community allegedly cannot identify with would still be popular with that community.

And please explain why Shakespeare seems to be popular (https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36114485), even though very few would identify with a Danish Prince or Mercutio per se.

I know you're playing a disingenuous shell game where you try to get me to prove something you know is difficult to quantify, but here's a decade-old University of Illinois-approved study of both LGBT and straight people showing that about 60% of respondents called for "more" or "much more" inclusion of LGBT people in role-playing games, and 51% in MMORPGs. Figures were lower in other categories mainly because representation doesn't matter much in some genres (you may never even see your character in a racing game). And remember, about 28% percent of respondents in the study were straight, so it's safe to presume the actual demand for inclusion among LGBT people was considerably higher. It's likewise safe to assume that LGBT people haven't stopped wanting themselves represented in games since then.

Strictly anecdotally, every LGBT person I know wants to see more representation of their culture in games.

Besides, it's pretty simple: people don't always need to see themselves reflected in games, but they'd sure appreciate seeing their experiences reflected at some point. Imagine if there were no women superheroes, no Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel or Jean Grey. If you were a woman, would you feel like comics were a welcoming environment in those conditions? No, you wouldn't; you might enjoy some comics, but it'd ultimately look to you like a male circle-jerk (which it still is to some degree, but that's another story). So why do you object to games moving beyond male fantasies to include more of what women and minorities want?

And boy, did you pick the wrong person to ask about why Shakespeare remains popular... I have a Master's in English Literature and write for a living. His work is popular for a number of reasons, and not all of them due to the work itself. Yes, they were inventive and well-written (if also derivative of earlier work), but they're also centuries old stories whose initial popularity ensured they would become archetypes. British colonialism also guaranteed the plays would be widely studied and performed outside of their home country. Moreover, it's no secret that people have given a lot of attention in recent decades to the strength of certain women and minority characters, such as Portia in Merchant of Venice and Othello. Shakespeare definitely wasn't a role model for equality and diversity (see the ending for Taming of the Shrew, or Shylock in Merchant of Venice), but women and minorities can find an appeal in Shakespeare precisely because he occasionally did write in strong people who weren't white men.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Celebrating diversity and difference is great when handled with some deftness, nuance.
Steamrolling your agenda all over the thing is tiresome as hell.
I completely agree with this. I feel Horizon Zero Dawn is a great example of diversity done right. They had some great characters of all different races and genders but no big deal was made about it. They were just interesting players in a well told story. The best part; I have no clue what Aloy's sexual orientation is nor do I know anything about her love life and for me that's great because gay or straight I have little interest in side-tracking the main story with this stuff.

RedVIper

Banned
I didn't say they were -- please read carefully next time. I'm just saying that diversity is clearly not the drag on sales that he so desperately wants it to be. If done reasonably well, it's at worst not a hindrance and at best a contributing factor to sales.

Oh? Diversity has definitly affected sales, especially at EA, their stocks have been dropping of a cliff.

I didn't say that people couldn't feel welcome playing games that don't directly represent them. Again, please pay closer attention to what I'm actually saying. It's that representation matters to a significant degree. If you're in a minority group and all you ever see in games are white, straight men, how the hell are you going to see your experience reflected in the games you play? You can't ask every woman, every non-white person, every LGBT person to make their own game. At a certain point, the people already making games have to step up and acknowledge that people beyond their own demographic exist and have value.

Why? Why do you feel entitled to other people's work? Why are developers publicly ostracized for not wanting to make LGBT characters? If they want to make them let them but your (And I don't mean you specifically) attempt to guilt trip people to do what you want is rather obnoxious.

I know you're playing a disingenuous shell game where you try to get me to prove something you know is difficult to quantify, but here's a decade-old University of Illinois-approved study of both LGBT and straight people showing that about 60% of respondents called for "more" or "much more" inclusion of LGBT people in role-playing games, and 51% in MMORPGs. Figures were lower in other categories mainly because representation doesn't matter much in some genres (you may never even see your character in a racing game). And remember, about 28% percent of respondents in the study were straight, so it's safe to presume the actual demand for inclusion among LGBT people was considerably higher. It's likewise safe to assume that LGBT people haven't stopped wanting themselves represented in games since then.

If the actual demand for LGBT characthers is so high why do games that goes out of their way to include them flop?

Besides, it's pretty simple: people don't always need to see themselves reflected in games, but they'd sure appreciate seeing their experiences reflected at some point. Imagine if there were no women superheroes, no Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel or Jean Grey. If you were a woman, would you feel like comics were a welcoming environment in those conditions? No, you wouldn't; you might enjoy some comics, but it'd ultimately look to you like a male circle-jerk (which it still is to some degree, but that's another story). So why do you object to games moving beyond male fantasies to include more of what women and minorities want?

I'd like you to know what you mean by this "seeing their experiences reflected".
You know why comics, games, etc, are "male circlejerks", because they created them, again, why do you feel entitled for other people to represent you in their work instead of doing your own?
Yeah every game is a "male fantasie", same question as above, if women and minorities want to see what they want represented, why not make it themselves? They could probably do what they want better than forcing someone else to do it.

And boy, did you pick the wrong person to ask about why Shakespeare remains popular... I have a Master's in English Literature and write for a living. His work is popular for a number of reasons, and not all of them due to the work itself. Yes, they were inventive and well-written (if also derivative of earlier work), but they're also centuries old stories whose initial popularity ensured they would become archetypes. British colonialism also guaranteed the plays would be widely studied and performed outside of their home country. Moreover, it's no secret that people have given a lot of attention in recent decades to the strength of certain women and minority characters, such as Portia in Merchant of Venice and Othello. Shakespeare definitely wasn't a role model for equality and diversity (see the ending for Taming of the Shrew, or Shylock in Merchant of Venice), but women and minorities can find an appeal in Shakespeare precisely because he occasionally did write in strong people who weren't white men.

I very much doubt Shakespeare gave a crap about minorities or women, he wrote about them because he had a good story to tell and decided to do it. Not because of someone telling him he should do it.

Thiagosc777

Strictly anecdotally, every LGBT person I know wants to see more representation of their culture in games.

Do they come from a different planet? Funny that they speak the same language as you, went to the same schools, and live in the same place, but you talk about them as if they were a completely different species. You have more in common, than differences.

Ok, Mr. Literature degree, If the only way to understand something is to have someone who looks like you, how is it possible to appreciante literature from ancient times, like The Illiad or The Odyssey? Only ancient Greeks can like that?

So after a time all art becomes inacessible to humans, because, they don't reflect their experiences any longer?

Last edited:

Aurelian

Oh? Diversity has definitly affected sales, especially at EA, their stocks have been dropping of a cliff.

Two things. First, you don't actually have evidence that diversity was responsible for poor sales of BFV versus other factors, like competing games or just franchise fatigue. That's just projection on your part. And secondly, I did say when it's "done reasonably well." Even if we accept your unsupported assertion at face value, the issue would be that EA was ham-handed, not that diversity was present. Numerous games with conspicuous diversity have succeeded, including EA's own The Sims franchise.

Why? Why do you feel entitled to other people's work? Why are developers publicly ostracized for not wanting to make LGBT characters? If they want to make them let them but your (And I don't mean you specifically) attempt to guilt trip people to do what you want is rather obnoxious.

I'm not saying you need to shoehorn them in at all times and at all places. But if we're going to get past the stereotype of video games as a boy's club where women exist as eye candy and minorities serve as little more than window dressing, we should ask developers to open their minds a bit. So many games boil down to "testosterone-laden meatheads fight manly wars while women watch on the sidelines..." I think we can try harder.

If the actual demand for LGBT characthers is so high why do games that goes out of their way to include them flop?

Name examples, please. I sure don't remember most of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games flopping

I'd like you to know what you mean by this "seeing their experiences reflected".
You know why comics, games, etc, are "male circlejerks", because they created them, again, why do you feel entitled for other people to represent you in their work instead of doing your own?
Yeah every game is a "male fantasie", same question as above, if women and minorities want to see what they want represented, why not make it themselves? They could probably do what they want better than forcing someone else to do it.

I actually addressed this earlier. Asking every woman and minority person to make their own games is completely unreasonable. A few do, but most people aren't programmers or designers, and we shouldn't expect them to be. And they're not going to create a blockbuster game in the near future -- they don't have tens (or hundreds) of millions of dollars to throw at each and every title. We shouldn't 'force' devs to include support, but nor should we whine when they voluntarily make the lead character female or include LGBT romances. And you do know BioWare and other studios have done that voluntarily, right?

I very much doubt Shakespeare gave a crap about minorities or women, he wrote about them because he had a good story to tell and decided to do it. Not because of someone telling him he should do it.

Shakespeare definitely wasn't empathetic to women and minorities. I explained as much. But because he occasionally included positive women and minority characters (or at least, ones that can be interpreted in a positive way through modern eyes), his stories aren't just relevant to academics in the modern age. You do realize that makes a compelling case for inclusiveness, right? That your stories will stand a better chance of finding broad appeal if they include strong characters who aren't exclusively men?

Cosmogony

I didn't say they were -- please read carefully next time.

So your obsewrvation is at best irrelevant.

I'm just saying that diversity is clearly not the drag on sales that he so desperately wants it to be. If done reasonably well, it's at worst not a hindrance and at best a contributing factor to sales

Again, can you show that the semblance of diversity is "a contributing force to sales"?

I didn't say that people couldn't feel welcome playing games that don't directly represent them.

Let me quote you verbatim, my emphasis:

Besides, call me crazy, but I'd like people who aren't white, straight men to feel welcome playing games. That means giving them characters and roles they can identify with. And isn't a fantasy game an ideal venue for that? I'm just baffled at how you can be so hateful.

"That means" reads as unequivocal as possible.

Again, please pay closer attention to what I'm actually saying.

Pay attention to what you're writing.

It's that representation matters to a significant degree.

Show it then.

If you're in a minority group and all you ever see in games are white, straight men, how the hell are you going to see your experience reflected in the games you play

Why would having my real-life experiences reflected in a videogame, of all things, matter at all? Even assuming that's even possible? It certainly might matter to some, but why ought it to matter to developers?

Would it matter to people to whom videogames are an act of escapism?

You can't ask every woman, every non-white person, every LGBT person to make their own game. At a certain point, the people already making games have to step up and acknowledge that people beyond their own demographic exist and have value.

If they are that dissatisfied with the current offering they can send suggestions to studios, or start their own companies, or crowdfund, or help promote games and companies which cater to their nneeds. What they do not hold is any sort of right over the work of others. They are not owed anything just because they have been arbitrarily divided into a minority, a majority or anything in between.

Besides, your argument also conveniently sidesteps the presence of important major characters. Uncharted may have a male lead, for example, but many of its most important characters are women: Elena Fisher, Chloe Frazer, Nadine Ross... representation isn't just about who you get to play, it's about having prominent characters with depth and personality. Characters who aren't just part of the scenery or trophies for the men to win.

Who do identify with in Ori? in Unravel? Do you identify with a serial Assassin, a Witcher? A space marine? Someone who flies and bounces off skyscrapers?
Please.

I know you're playing a disingenuous shell game where you try to get me to prove something you know is difficult to quantify,

No, Sir. You make the claim. You provide the evidence. The onus is on you. Perhaps you are used to asserting unsubstantiated nonsense and having your back patted.
Tough luck.

but here's a decade-old University of Illinois-approved study of both LGBT and straight people showing that about 60% of respondents called for "more" or "much more" inclusion of LGBT people in role-playing games, and 51% in MMORPGs. Figures were lower in other categories mainly because representation doesn't matter much in some genres (you may never even see your character in a racing game). And remember, about 28% percent of respondents in the study were straight, so it's safe to presume the actual demand for inclusion among LGBT people was considerably higher. It's likewise safe to assume that LGBT people haven't stopped wanting themselves represented in games since then.

Let's look at this wonderful study then, shall we?
I'm going to be charitable here and assume the methodology was sound and participants were duly screened.

46. To what degree would you like to see gay or lesbian content in the following gaming genres?

1. Given that the sample included both homosexuals and a whooping 40.9% (28%+12.9%) self-described heterosexuals, would you be able to tell which is which with regard to these specific results? Surely, heterosexual men wanting more lesbian content in a videogame could have a very different reason behind it, this when compared to lesbians wanting more lesbian content in videogames, don't you think? Because 40% of the sample wants less, or no lesbian/gay content at all, or don't know/aren't sure.

No doubt you realize this needs to be established first.

And just what qualifies as gay/lesbian content? Would simply having the topic brought up , as in having a NPC share indifference or even negative views towards homosexuality - which I don't share - qualify? But that's not what you have in mind, is it?

What can you tell about what the participants had in mind regarding gay/lesbian content?

2. Can you show these results echo those in other minorities? In other regions of Europe? Other age and academic background groups?

3. Last, but certainly not least, their alleged desire to have more gay or lesbian content, which itself is at least potentially different from the desire to be represented more frequently or more prominently in videogames, could have sprung from a number of reasons other than the sentiment that in order to feel welcome gamers need to see themselves represented. I certainly can think of a number of them. So, again, can you offer evidence to support what you keep asserting?

I send anecdotal evidence to the waste bin of anecdotal evidence. But again, your claim wasn't simply that minorities yearn for more representation. It was that in order to feel welcome, more representation is necessary. The two are different.

Besides, it's pretty simple: people don't always need to see themselves reflected in games,

Buried deep in your post, a nugget of truth, covered in grit as it is, emerges.

but they'd sure appreciate seeing their experiences reflected at some point. Imagine if there were no women superheroes, no Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel or Jean Grey. If you were a woman, would you feel like comics were a welcoming environment in those conditions?

It's neither the goal nor the obligation of fiction to be "a welcoming environment". May I suggest some Robert McKee? People who measure welcome-ness by the extent to which they see themselves represented need to show that's the case.
I'm all ears.

No, you wouldn't; you might enjoy some comics, but it'd ultimately look to you like a male circle-jerk (which it still is to some degree, but that's another story).

Please do not act like you know how I would react.
Please don't. And do not pretend like you know how most women, who don't even qualify as a minority in the first place - would react either. If you do know, back it up with evidence.

So why do you object to games moving beyond male fantasies to include more of what women and minorities want?

I don't object to that.
I do, however, reject the notion of Representation. It is raudulent. I've explained myself countless times.

And boy, did you pick the wrong person to ask about why Shakespeare remains popular... I have a Master's in English Literature

And would you happen to know my academic credentials?
I'm not bent on impressing the impressionable, especially since peacocking my credentials would be irrelevant to the point. Please do not bring fallacious Appeal to Authority kind of arguments. Your case is terribly weak as it is.

Shakespeare definitely wasn't a role model for equality and diversity

I will leave it at that. That this sentence of yours comes with no historical context or caveats is simply amazing.
Oh well.

(see the ending for Taming of the Shrew, or Shylock in Merchant of Venice), but women and minorities can find an appeal in Shakespeare precisely because he occasionally did write in strong people who weren't white men.

No, Sir. If you were to purge out the intelectual venom that is intersectionality, you might be able tor realize that's not the reason, but that would require you to acknowledge what art is, the fundamental nature of its appeal and how it relates to us humans, gays, lesbians, straight, midgets, gipsies, Caucasians, albinos. It's the putrid veil of intersectionality which won't allow you to do that, as you've abundantly demonstrated in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malio

Sorry, I can't get outraged by this. As long as the game is great, I don't give two shits. Those of you who ARE bothered by this need to check yourselves.

Aurelian

Do they come from a different planet? Funny that they speak the same language as you, went to the same schools, and live in the same place, but you talk about them as if they were a completely different species. You have more in common, than differences.

Ok, Mr. Literature degree, If the only way to understand something is to have someone who looks like you, how is it possible to appreciante literature from ancient times, like The Illiad or The Odyssey? Only ancient Greeks can like that?

So after a time all art becomes inacessible to humans, because, they don't reflect their experiences any longer?

Yes, I have plenty in common with women and minorities. But there are experiences I will never have and will never fully understand, and I won't pretend that a white straight male's life can adequately convey the broader scope of human experience.

I already addressed the point that you don't absolutely need to identify with characters to enjoy a given work. I never said otherwise. This is about seeing some kind of representation for yourself in the medium at large.

And stories like Homer's Iliad and Odyssey? They're millennia old stories that have become archetypes for literature. While they are fascinating stories in their own right, they've also been entrenched in the literary landscape and represent important historical markers that say a lot about ancient Greek culture. For that matter, they're also crucial to the European countries that for centuries patterned their cultures and educational systems around Greco-Roman writing. They're important in spite of their lack of modern relevance.

And most games certainly don't rise to that kind of cultural prominence. Do you really think Call of Duty is going to be recorded in the annals of history as a timeless classic? Hell no -- if any video games from our era endure over the centuries, it'll be the games that said something meaningful and weren't just the digital equivalent to cotton candy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Plot just leaked.

Characters from all over the world from pre-set classes like: 99 year old crippled wisemen, and Autistic 6 year old will embark on a quest to take down the evil White-Face King Doomlord who has a mission to eradicate all homosexuals.

Widely diverse party will not defeat evil with swords and magic, but by recruiting and planting town criers every acre of farmland to publicly shame Doomlord into submission.

Thiagosc777

Yes, I have plenty in common with women and minorities. But there are experiences I will never have and will never fully understand, and I won't pretend that a white straight male's life can adequately convey the broader scope of human experience.

There could be many possibilities for that, like, for example, you being an insular person or just an actual racist who can't see others as equals. But regardless of the real reason, it's not society's fault nor society's responsibility.

Anyone can convey any perspective, if they care to learn about them.

If it's the same kind of "diversity celebration" as in Mass Effect and Battlefield, which is sure looking to be the prime motive for the narrative lead (and zero talk about existing established lore), then I'm actually all for this. It's their IP legally speaking and crying over how unauthentic and soapboxy this game will be makes no sense after all the corpses of games and developers EA has claimed in the past.

However I am looking forward for the inevitable consequences, not the game per se. EA is on a downwards slope after BFV (despite their best efforts to mitigate it by delaying the release date... and their "stellar" PR pre- and post-release) and this and Anthem will be very interesting conclusions to that performance.

Do you remember when the "mighty Nintendo" got it wrong with games like Paper Mario 3DS that plays nothing like the older games in the series (unauthentic) or Kirby Epic Yarn that tried to be so hand-holdy it got rid of the concept of risk completely, now an optional achievement, to appeal to the casuals with decisions antithetical to its core design (trying to court the mythical new audience and failing to court both)? It's obvious EA is thinking more of the same here but with more cosmetics and microtransactions, and since words like "diversity" are sacred cows in current year (probably even for EA's management, though I doubt shareholders are unanimously thrilled) they expect those to shield them from the exact same criticisms and ultimately reasons why "unrelated game riding on name recognition" isn't entitled to the older fanbase.
Some good might come out of this. This can be very useful as a cautionary tale for future managers.

Last edited:

royox

Nothing wrong in having politics in a Dragon Age Game (where the main plot has always been racism for example).

My problem with Bioware is that they have no fucking clue of how to do a LGTBI character without making the LGTBI stuff the main trait of that character...like Steve in ME3 "I'm gay and my husband died but I want to bang Male Shepard if he behaves like a good friend with me" is his whole story. Dorian's whole sidequest was about him having trouble in Tevinter because he's gay.

Zevran, on the other hand, (Dragon Age Origins) was VERY WELL done. You never know he's bi unless you behave VERY friendly with him.

Fbh

Lots of people in this thread that haven't played any Bioware game in a long time apparently.

This has been their thing since around DA2.
Just look at Inquisition, half the romance options are either bisexual or gay

LOLCats

Banned
Lots of people in this thread that haven't played any Bioware game in a long time apparently.

This has been their thing since around DA2.
Just look at Inquisition, half the romance options are either bisexual or gay

This conversation isnt about race or sexual preference. Its about the pervasive social and political agendas that have been sown in to recent BioWare games. For me it started in inquisition and boiled over in andromeda.

anthraticus

Banned
The new Dragon Age (if there even is one) will be judged on how many gay & tranny romances it has.

Last edited:

Lightsbane

At this point I am far more concerned about the game being absolute crap, since I really disliked 2 and Inquisition…

dottme

The new Dragon Age (if there even is one) will be judged on how many gay & tranny romances it has.
I'm kind of worried about this. When you look at the Battlefield discussion it was all summarize to:
-> I like women in game so the game is good
-> You don't like Battlefield because you are a nazi and you don't like women in game.

I only recently seen much more interesting review as the one from Angry Joe and finally learn that there is much more issues than just historical accuracy in it. But it looks like all those issues were ignore by everyone.

I wish the same won't happen for Dragon Age. Can't they do all there marketing based on gender issues on Anthem instead of Dragon Age.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm kind of worried about this. When you look at the Battlefield discussion it was all summarize to:
-> I like women in game so the game is good
-> You don't like Battlefield because you are a nazi and you don't like women in game.

I only recently seen much more interesting review as the one from Angry Joe and finally learn that there is much more issues than just historical accuracy in it. But it looks like all those issues were ignore by everyone.

I wish the same won't happen for Dragon Age. Can't they do all there marketing based on gender issues on Anthem instead of Dragon Age.
Weird, I liked them having women in the game but wasn't interested in the final game itself as it turned out so expressed that whenever relevant and don't recall anyone telling me no you're a misogynist.

I did also see tons of people ignore all of the game's problems and make hashtags implying how it's only sold worse due to the women's inclusion and none of the other potential reasons though, meh...

Now we haven't even seen any of the writing and it's already bashed for, again, including whatever, we don't even know what exactly?

If it releases and it's a failure once again we'll see hashtags? As if the last game prior was considered crazy good and there are no other reasons for a game to suck?

Meh all around.

Last edited:
for all their talk of "diversity" why couldn't I have my femwarden romance Morrigan? My femshep romance Miranda? Why did we not get any juice lesbian scenes in Mass Effect Andromeda with Suvi?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
for all their talk of "diversity" why couldn't I have my femwarden romance Morrigan? My femshep romance Miranda? Why did we not get any juice lesbian scenes in Mass Effect Andromeda with Suvi?
I mean, it's one thing to want diversity and another to make every character cardboard cutouts that bend to the player's will of being what they want them to be. Your character is meant to be what you want him/her/whatever to be, to the degree possible by games limited by tech and budgets, but the other characters should feel like they're their own persons. I find it meh whenever almost every cast member can be romanced, like, nobody in my party has better things to do than get it on with their captain or whatever (even if some are restricted to hetero or homosexual relationships)? It just feels off. And why not have others show interest first but behave if you friendzone them or hell, leave altogether because they don't want to be friends with you? Bioware was always cringry whether for straight or other types of relationships, I avoided those quest lines whenever possible after seeing how bad they are. But that's me, I know others enjoyed them so yay.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I played Inquisition years ago, but I remember a scene with a trans character where they literally sit you to listen to a lecture about how "trans people are people just like us" and I was rolling my eyes about how unnatural and preachy that conversation was. There were other "woke moments" as well.

It seems the next one will crank it to 11.

Ok but, thats probably how they wrote the character. Thats no different then someone who is trans in real life telling you that. "unnatural and preachy" ? So no trans person on earth has ever told anyone this before or?

Catphish

It's not enough to just be diverse? We have to celebrate it?

ProTip: If you do diversity naturally and organically, as if that's the natural state of the world you're creating, there's no reason to celebrate it, except to virtue signal.

Don't fucking preach to me. I'm over it. If the game comes off that way, I'm not buying it. And, while I'm currently a Premier subscriber, if this shit becomes the norm, I'll drop that, too.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Shoehorning diversity and leftist politics into a fantasy game... hard pass for me.

EDMIX

The guy is entitled to his political beliefs, and if he has the writing chops to do the job, I'm fine with it.

Pre-judging games based on lead creatives' tweets is Resetera's stock-in-trade. Its not a good look.

Agreed. I don't understand why folks can't simply play a game for actually being a game.

EDMIX

Well Gander who wrote DAO left and people like DAO. And he is a homosexual guy. Only the DAO series starting with the first had male homosexual relationships. Mass Effect never did until 3 and was drop from Andromeda only to be patched in later.

"Mass Effect never did until 3"

That is incorrect...

I've played the whole series and the whole series has the option, some are a bit limited like 1, but it is actually still in the game.

Klondyke

Banned
This is like forcefeeding a kid vegetables. The kid is just too dumb to know whats good for him, and i am all for it.

Same would/should apply to a lot of policies even outside of gaming.
"you are a antivaxxer? We gonna take away your benefits"
"you dont believe In climate Change? Here is a extra tax for being a idiot"

Easy.

This is like forcefeeding a kid vegetables. The kid is just too dumb to know whats good for him, and i am all for it.

Same would/should apply to a lot of policies even outside of gaming.
"you are a antivaxxer? We gonna take away your benefits"
"you dont believe In climate Change? Here is a extra tax for being a idiot"

Easy.
Fight bigotry with .... more bigotry.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Am I the only one who doesn't really expect much from this Bioware from the outset? The last game I honestly enjoyed from the ground up from them was Mass Effect 1. The sequels and Dragon Age just didn't capture any of the same joy or fun that I had with that original space romp and the writing has been subpar for nearly a decade now.

If the game ends up being good, then that is great - but I have no expectations above being a heavily mediocre title.

El_Belmondo

Should we accept being insulted, keep our heads down and quietly buy the game then? They are not entitled to our money. If a developer is out there insulting me, I am not going to buy his game.

They better learn how to behave professionally or else I hope every one of their games flop.

How in the fuck adding diversity to games is an insult?

Top Bottom