• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Show: Nobel Peace Prize Winner both sides ethnic cleansing

snap

Banned
More info in the OP please? Is this about Myanmar? Some of us cant click links at work.

Yes

watched up until the Kardashian joke, thought it wasn't very good and went on for far too long

that being said, i've heard some people online say that the nobel peace prize winner leading myanmar is actually a bit misunderstood overseas and isn't actually a very good person

edit: went back and finished it. could've had half the runtime if they cut the jokes, which were across the board bad. that being said, dude even henry kissinger got a nobel peace prize. and having this view of Buddhism as this ultra-peaceful religion--there are Buddhists who kill people in pogroms, and that's been true for a very long time. i don't know, this whole segment felt like a two minute interlude about myanmar padded out to 6 minutes that only exists because some writer on the daily show is sheltered from what's going on in the lesser known parts of the world.

jimmypython

Yeah you know things are fishy when she at some point said she was the actual leader of the country despite the president.

You can sense the hunger for power in her.

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah it's about Aung San Suu Kyi and her response to the ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Burma/Myanmar. In an interview, she says that people need to understand that the fear exists on both sides (Buddhists of Muslims and vice-versa).

I understand that she's powerless to control the military but she's absolutely spineless for somebody who was supposedly a protester.

Yeah it's about Aung San Suu Kyi and her response to the ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Burma/Myanmar. In an interview, she says that people need to understand that the fear exists on both sides (Buddhists of Muslims and vice-versa).

I understand that she's powerless to control the military but she's absolutely spineless for somebody who was supposedly a protester.
Lol what do the buddhist majority have to fear from a stateless minority that is denied citizenship, work, education and government services? This woman is a monster.

It's a lot easier to win a Nobel Peace Prize when you haven't been the leader of a country, suddenly responsible for everything and embroiled in the conflicts of the previous regime.

Just ask Obama.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a lot easier to win a Nobel Peace Prize when you haven't been the leader of a country, suddenly responsible for everything and embroiled in the conflicts of the previous regime.

Just ask Obama.

tenor.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Didn't she recently also accuse the reports of ethnic cleansing and genocide of Rohingyas as being fake news?

I know that the Nobel Foundation doesn't revoke Nobel prizes, but they should make an exception in this case.

That wasn't a dig at BO, but at the Peace Prize and the international representation of protest figures in general.

In Czech Republic, we had Vaclav Havel. During communism he was a fragile heroic dissident in a crumpled suit. Havel went on to become the first Czech President and a major supporter of the bombing of Belgrade and the Iraq War.

I'm not making value judgement about either of those military campaigns, just that they're incongruous with the perfect images we have of "uncompromising man/woman against the establishment".

Top Bottom