• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

DaBoss

guys, how long is chapter 5? wanna blast through it in one sitting, but want to make sure I've got enough time for it
I want to say it isn't too long, but I'm not sure. I do recommend finishing it in one sitting though.

...and then I checked what time this post was made. :(

Sorry about the late response.

Finished Chapter 2 today.

I'd spoiled myself who kills who in this chapter, but the finale- namely, the part after the vote, was very exciting. When I first thought that the game had started to rehash twists in a bad way, the game turned that right around. That "I'm not the killer, for I am a tool" card was very interesting.

Besides that, few things were cheesy. The final farewell of Peko and Fuyuhiko feels a bit forced, but otherwise, except for the confusing fact that Fuyuhiko also nearly died is a bit jarring. Did Monokuma really do that for a little extra bit of despair? I think she was trampled beside Peko, but still, we still do not get an explanation for how the others could rush next to Kuzuryu when he was on a piece of rock clearly separated from land... I guess we'll just go with "plot convenience" once more, likewise for how Peko managed to get into a surfboard case that was in that position, I cannot fathom of a way she could fit herself in there. Sigh.

The gameplay itself was very tight. I'm the sort of person that absentmindedly presses "X" during a trial and loses 20 seconds. Giving them multiple hitpoints is just.. such a cruel rule! The whole "swimsuit-gravel" thing was something I'd never think about (was watching a YT video). I thought the weapon was the fish tank.. Logic Dive is interesting and reminds me of the "lines of reasoning" in Ace Attorney which appear at the end of a case. (Dual Destinies has this minigame, at least) Also, I felt like there was much more text discussion than Nonstop Debates this time around- in DR1 it felt like there were small text discussions between Nonstop Debates. Also, there was only one Hangman's Gambit this time, so there's that.

Overall, it was a pretty good chapter and a good mystery. It already appears to be better than the first game, with no excuses such as someone literally trolling and messing up the crime scene.

Re: the above comment,
Swimsuit gravel
is maybe the biggest "wtF game" moment in the entire Danganronpa series for me. The worst part is I hit that section of the game while on a flight, so it's not like I could even go look it up on the internet. I had to brute-force that section and fail the case multiple times before I finally got it.

Also, I keep forgetting THIS IS NOT THE SPOILER THREAD so I'm going to leave now in case I forget spoiler tags again.

UberTag

Chapter 3 impressions...

I was legitimately fooled by this case. Figured out the death order and that the hanging vid was staged but was completely thrown by the broken drumsticks being a fake out for a mock closed room and I assumed that the staged suicide was a recording from the hospital conference room and not a live staged recreation. Although Mikan's guilt was evident once the pieces were put together.

I did think it was an extremely bad idea to have her as the chief nurse and caretaker if the Despair Disease was legitimate as it was giving everyone symptoms opposite to their true nature and - given what her true nature was - having Mikan be infected was a bad scenario these guys should have anticipated and avoided. Really nice voicework from Stephanie Sheh during that confrontation too, I might add.

Man, I knew I called the girls a disappointment after Chapter 1 but even I didn't expect 5 of them to drop like flies through three chapters. Can we get Kyoko, Aoi and... hell, even Toko back already?

Oh yeah... and Nekomaru is a robot now. That'll go over well. Never thought there'd be a character in this game Kazuichi would want to get inside of that wasn't female. Color me surprised.

Salamando

Swimsuit gravel
is maybe the biggest "wtF game" moment in the entire Danganronpa series for me. The worst part is I hit that section of the game while on a flight, so it's not like I could even go look it up on the internet. I had to brute-force that section and fail the case multiple times before I finally got it.

Also, I keep forgetting THIS IS NOT THE SPOILER THREAD so I'm going to leave now in case I forget spoiler tags again.

I saw that angle coming, but I looked at it entirely the wrong way (ch. 2 spoilers)
I thought she used the Swimsuit to strangle her more effectively, and the fishtank was broken in the initial scuffle. The entire gravel aspect just didn't work.

I saw that angle coming, but I looked at it entirely the wrong way (ch. 2 spoilers)
I thought she used the Swimsuit to strangle her more effectively, and the fishtank was broken in the initial scuffle. The entire gravel aspect just didn't work.

Well, I thought that
the fish tank was the murder weapon and the spilled water just drifted the blood away...

:|

As I mentioned before, I didn't figure that part out on my own. I was watching the YT playthrough by "justonegamr", and the guy gets perfect in nearly everything.

During Nonstop Debate segments, the stream first shows all dialogue, and then he chooses the correct bullet and fast forwards to the target argument. That scene went down in my mind like this:

"Oh... I'd say the fish tank is the murder weapon, it's broken after all! Also, possibly the water washed all blood away."

"'Gravel', 'Fish tank', 'Piano'... Easy peasy- wait, why didn't he choose the fish tank-"

"Why'd he select the swimsuit-"

*mind connects "gravel" and "swimsuit"*

"OH MY GOD"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, after looking up the answer, it clicked in my mind why I had to use said bullet on said statement. I didn't feel as annoyed as others, but I can totally see why it might not connect especially with the
fish tank
bullet or statement (which ever it was)

Labrys

I finished this proper a while back, haven't done the island mode or anything all the way through though. Overall I'm pleased with the translation/localization, they did a very nice job. I'm replaying the Ace Attorney series now to fill my hunger for visual novels, heh.

todd360

Swimsuit gravel

I must have thought about how it happened for a good 40 minutes before I caved and looked it up online. I ran through so many possible scenarios in my head. Each one more likely than what actually happened lol.

MBison

Quick question

Played Danganronpa and loved it

I'm at the first trial for Danganronpa 2

What skills should I be purchasing? I haven't bought any yet. Have 19 gems. Which should I get so far?

Labrys

This comment made me realize that I didn't get any skill in the whole game.

Some of the skills are slightly detrimental actually. I got Ibuki's skill, all it does is increase your speed during the Logic Dive and more times than I care to admit it made me speed off a ledge during the mini game.

i bought skills when i reached the third chapter

For some reason i think it was less important than in DR1

I'm pretty sure the game said early on "Purchase skill by talking to Monomi." I think I was on Chapter 3 or 4 before I figured out they meant click on her portrait under the student profiles and not that she was somewhere on the islands for you to go and chat with.

Also, did the game ever tell you that the slot machine thing was on the beach? It was pretty late in the game before I discovered that as well.

Meier

Started playing over the weekend after getting through Danganronpa. Only just made it to the part where Monokuma shows up in the park. I was kind of looking forward to the different feeling lasting a little bit longer but ahh well!

Just reading on the first page about Feep doing a voice. Cool. Japanese for me in any scenario where it's available, so I haven't heard his work but I'm happy for him!

Mariolee

Posted in other thread but gonna post again:

Whoa wait.

What if this 8 player Smash is the reason there is suddenly a strange mandate for 8 alts.

WHOA YOU GUYS.

Finished CH03 trial yesterday...

GOD DAMN IT, I LIKED MIKAN!

*silently cries in the corner*

For some reason, I really liked Mikan all along- if I were there, I'd do all I could to save her and make her happy. Even when she went full "Despair mode", I still liked her.

The execution was pretty weird. However, I found myself liking it.

Mikan gets bonus points for offing Saionji, but loses them all because of Ibuki.

The whole chapter is full of despair...

Goodbye Mikan... goodbye...

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Finished CH03 trial yesterday...

GOD DAMN IT, I LIKED MIKAN!

*silently cries in the corner*

For some reason, I really liked Mikan all along- if I were there, I'd do all I could to save her and make her happy. Even when she went full "Despair mode", I still liked her.

The execution was pretty weird. However, I found myself liking it.

Mikan gets bonus points for offing Saionji, but loses them all because of Ibuki.

The whole chapter is full of despair...

Goodbye Mikan... goodbye...

edit: im really dumb

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, especially since it actually appeared in DR2 first on the PSP, then when Japan got the Vita port of both games, it was added into DR1. Though maybe it was just me, but it felt slightly easier than in DR1.

Shizuka

I'd like some help. Does anyone know of a good Danganronpa 2 playthrough on YouTube? My boyfriend, while not the ideal course of action, has watched the anime, loved it to bits and now since there is no anime of the second game just yet, wants to watch a playthrough.

I'd like some help. Does anyone know of a good Danganronpa 2 playthrough on YouTube? My boyfriend, while not the ideal course of action, has watched the anime, loved it to bits and now since there is no anime of the second game just yet, wants to watch a playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ZRo-9QHFwbKck76kuudWg
justonegamr has the whole game up, no commentary. He even has the extra scenes, all the FTE scenes, Monomi's game and the Dangan Island endings.

LX_Theo

Banned
So should I buy the game or watch the anime? I want to know if the anime is any good and how the game is played.

1) Only the first game's story has been made into an anime.

2) The anime version is an extremely rushed version of the plot. It gets across the important details. It lacks much of the character development. Also, the mystery and such is severely diminished by the fact that, in order to get across all the important details, that's all they tend to cover.

3) Both game are excellent and definitively the best way to experience it.

Kanra

Guess I'll get the first game then. The mystery in story's is the best part imo and I definitely don't want to ruin that experience. Thanks.

NEO0MJ

Finally got the game! Lets start it...oh god, what happened to Byakuya?! He's so...big. And this new rabbit thing scares me.

Cha

Finally got the game! Lets start it...oh god, what happened to Byakuya?! He's so...big. And this new rabbit thing scares me.

Welcome to the party.
iTAAqqy2PfyY7.gif

Tizoc

WTF!
Byakuya died on the first case?! I wasn't expecting him to survive another murder game but to be offed from the start...I was hoping he'd play a mentor role first.

Heh.

So true.

It begins
tumblr_inline_mrfs6uvIfU1qz4rgp.gif

What do you think of GUNDHAM TANAKA?

NEO0MJ

Just finished the first trial, pretty fun. I like that they changed the gameplay, though I'm still not used to it.

Nagito scares me.

All I have left for my platinum is Magical Girl Monomi items. Is it best to just keep redoing the final stage on Normal and easy or do some items drop more often on lower levels?

Also, for anyone who has played Another Episode. My Japanese is decent. Should I import it or wait until a localization? I feel so much despair waiting.

What do you think of GUNDHAM TANAKA?

Character of the year.

Deimo5

Why did they have to make the platinum even more grindy this time...Monomi item drops on top of island mode, please let it end.

NEO0MJ

"S-some of us are characters in a video game?!"

Man, the writing is just amazing. Also, dat
super muscle Monokuma.

ChrisD

I've got to stop playing this game before bed.

Chapter 3 Investigation Spoilers

I think it's pretty reasonable to feel uneasy when you see a hanging taking place --even if it is just a drawing in a game. Sent shivers down my spine when the camera turned on to a noose and stepladder. The Hiyoko reveal made it all the worse with the drawn-out "scream" that plays when a body is discovered.

Last night was interesting. I felt so anxious the rest of the night. .-.

NEO0MJ

I've got to stop playing this game before bed.

Chapter 3 Investigation Spoilers

I think it's pretty reasonable to feel uneasy when you see a hanging taking place --even if it is just a drawing in a game. Sent shivers down my spine when the camera turned on to a noose and stepladder. The Hiyoko reveal made it all the worse with the drawn-out "scream" that plays when a body is discovered.

Last night was interesting. I felt so anxious the rest of the night. .-.

Just finished the chapter myself, it was something else. I was pretty disappointed that
the killer was kinda obvious from the start.

On another note
Nagito is doing such a great job as Kyoko's replacement. It also makes a lot of sense plotwise why he's so vague.

Top Bottom