• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

FluxWaveZ

So a DR game that essentially played pretty much exactly like Ace Attorney?

I dunno. I liked DR's take as a more "active" role in pointing out contradictions with the various mini-games compared to the standard AA format, but I also don't like the mini-games themselves. Conceptually, a lot of it is cool. Hell, AA5 even took the Logic Dive and turned it into a (better), simplified system via Revisualization.

I like DR1's Closing Argument; it's the one DR mini-game I didn't really have a problem with, because it closely ties the narrative with what the mini-game actually entails. All this abstraction with Hangman's Gambits and cyberspace surfing just ruin the pacing for me, and just feel poor in general. The worst are the rhythm mini-games, which are just some straight up nonsense (which they managed to make even worse in DR2 than in DR1?).

The Classroom Trials are great regardless of the mini-games, but they could be even greater if the mini-games were better, or not really "mini-games" at all. They could just simplify each distinct mechanic and I'd probably like it better.

Hung_real

I felt so good when I see the final case's victim, particularly his/her dead scene

Its probably up there as one of the most satisfying moments in a visual novel for me

i can't wait for danganronpa 3's "really improved, for real this time hangman's gambit", which is functionally identical to improved hangman's gambit, but is now integrating rebuttal showdown's beloved limited number of actions feature, only allowing you to pick up and drop letters a certain number of times. also, all actions have to be done on the music's beat or you take damage.

Jintor

Closing arguement is the one minigame I think is amazing. It's a great way for you to review the entire case and feel as though you made progress (except case 5
because they spell that shit out for you
) but it's still limited enough that it can be controlled and the player is likely not to get frustrated. They really improved on it in DR2 with the captioning what each scene actually was, too.

Climax Reasoning and the DanganRonpa theme that plays when you're explaining it is also fucking baller

i can't wait for danganronpa 3's "really improved, for real this time hangman's gambit", which is functionally identical to improved hangman's gambit, but is now integrating rebuttal showdown's beloved limited number of actions feature, only allowing you to pick up and drop letters a certain number of times. also, all actions have to be done on the music's beat or you take damage.

as long as they let you go from one side of the edge to the next and I'm fine with making it a rhythm shooting qte screen rubbing dance dance beat off in katakana

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Danganronpa 3 to incorporate monster monpiece's innovation of rubbing the perpetrator's clothes off to reveal the truth.

I complained about Rebuttal Showdown (though I guess I'm getting the hang of it now) but I like the other minigames.
I wouldn't want it to be like AA, trials in DR are much more exciting because there is a lot more interaction. Another problem I have with AA is the insane amount of time that separates each trial, DR's pacing is so much better.

I see a lot of people have issues with Hangman's Gambit but I don't think it's that bad. It's tough for developers to find a way to make the player figure out a specific word without using multiple choices or other ways that make it too obvious. Maybe voice recognition would solve this.

Jintor

I prefer AA's slow burn a lot more, but AA also has a much better idea of exactly how many hints to give a player v Dangan Ronpa which oscilates wildly between "Hahah I know the answer but you, the player, must say it!" and "LOL I DUNNO"

DaBoss

Logic Dive (if you were accelerating the whole time, you were playing it wrong) is great. And the main Bullet gameplay (I forget what it is called) and Closing Arguments in DR2 (though they were already good in DR1, but were improved upon in DR2).

Everything else from DR2 needs to go.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thinking back on it now I do feel that 2 has a lot more likable characters.

1 had kyoko, chihiro and sakura. Ishimaru too I guess.

Also actually does a good job making most of the murderers sympathetic.

AniHawk

so far i like more characters in 2, but i liked the characters i liked in 1 better. they were more fleshed out and the situation was a lot more hopeless. kyoko, hina, and chihiro are a lot better than their counterparts in 2 (only starting chapter 4, but i would assume those would be chiaki, akane, and chiaki again). fuyuhiko is a better tsundere than byakuya at least.

SaiyanRaoh

Okay, I can only buy one of these games since I went crazy with the holiday spending. I'm thinking of going with the 2nd game since it's only $24. Would I be missing out on too much if I skipped the first one for now? The general consensus is that this game is better than the first anyway, correct?

Okay, I can only buy one of these games since I went crazy with the holiday spending. I'm thinking of going with the 2nd game since it's only $24. Would I be missing out on too much if I skipped the first one for now? The general consensus is that this game is better than the first anyway, correct?

Do not play this before the first one. You'd be missing out on a lot that extend beyond just the story.

The first one is also an incredible game. Just not a SUPER incredible one like 2. I mean, it's also in deliberation for a few sites' GOTY award, so that's got to mean something maybe. If you're short on cash, just get the 2nd one at some point down the line, but playing it before the first is a huge mistake.

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished the prologue, and holy crap, these characters are even more unlikable than the ones in the first game. At least there at the start I ended up liking Sakura and Junko. Here I hate all of the new characters except Jaws.

I really hope the loli brat gets offed first.

Not sure if this I have to tag this because it's part of the prologue, but I'll do it just to be safe.

Giving Byakuya and Makoto amnesia again really lessened the impact of the first game for me.

Droplet

Now that school's over I finally got the chance to play this game. So far I'm really happy with all the characters who feel less like one-trick ponies than those in the first game. I'm also a lot happier with the increased difficulty, since a lot of the logic was fairly simple in the first game whereas I feel like I'm making a lot more leaps here.

...That said, can I get a hint (please not just the answer) on the third trial?
I've pointed out the killer, but she wants me to prove that she was the one who made the video. It's the one where she's asking if it's the hemp bag, hospital gown, etc...Looking at the truth bullets it looks like none of them are relavent so I'm thinking I have to save something she said and use it, but I still can't really think of anything that would work.

Also Hangman's Gambit will never be not terrible.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've pointed out the killer, but she wants me to prove that she was the one who made the video. It's the one where she's asking if it's the hemp bag, hospital gown, etc...Looking at the truth bullets it looks like none of them are relavent so I'm thinking I have to save something she said and use it, but I still can't really think of anything that would work.
I remember having trouble with that part as well. I can't remember the exact bullet you need to use, but I guess the best hint I can give you is
what's something that she mentions that you (as in the main character) didn't notice/mention before?

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member

You have to save what Chiaki says: "killer's mistake", and then do exactly that, point out the killer's mistake. Hajime is the only one who has seen the video, so nobody knows anything about the video other than what Hajime has told them. Her mistake is bringing up something about the video that Hajime never spoke about.
---
Not sure if this I have to tag this because it's part of the prologue, but I'll do it just to be safe.

Giving Byakuya and Makoto amnesia again really lessened the impact of the first game for me.
I think you're mistaking Nagito for Makoto, their character designs look similar, they have the same Ultimate title, the same voice actor and Nagito's name is an anagram for Makoto Naegi, but they are not the same person. His similarities with Makoto play into the story later on.
Can't really say anything about Byakuya without spoiling something, but it's not as simple as just 'his memory was wiped again' that's for sure.

Kinsei

Banned
I think you're mistaking Nagito for Makoto, their character designs look similar, they have the same Ultimate title, the same voice actor and Nagito's name is an anagram for Makoto Naegi, but they are not the same person. His similarities with Makoto play into the story later on.
Can't really say anything about Byakuya without spoiling something, but it's not as simple as just 'his memory was wiped again' that's for sure.

All of what you just mentioned and Hajime and Nagito walking together on the title screen were what led me to think that Nagito was Makoto. Normally I would have thought all of that stuff was a huge red herring because it was so obvious, but I thought the end of the world stuff in the first game was too obvious and look how that turned out.

I thought Usami's trip was set up by the survivors of the first game, but Byakuya not remembering Monokuma and Nagito being a new character kinda throws a wrench into that theory.

I can't wait to get home and start the first chapter.

EDIT

I just completed chapter 1 and all I have to say is WAT?

Gundham Tanaka and his 4 devas of cuteness have now joined Jaws on the list of characters I like.

Byakuya NOOOOOO! You were my second favorite character in the first game and my favorite here T_T. So long Teruteru, you will not be missed.

Holy shit, what is up with Nagito? Now I'm starting to think this takes place in an alternate universe and he's like a Nega Makoto or something @.@

Droplet

I remember having trouble with that part as well. I can't remember the exact bullet you need to use, but I guess the best hint I can give you is
what's something that she mentions that you (as in the main character) didn't notice/mention before?

You have to save what Chiaki says: "killer's mistake", and then do exactly that, point out the killer's mistake. Hajime is the only one who has seen the video, so nobody knows anything about the video other than what Hajime has told them. Her mistake is bringing up something about the video that Hajime never spoke about.

Thank you both! I figured it might have been that,
I just wasn't really sure what to save.

For chapter 4, did anyone else experience a glitch when exploring
the Strawberry Building
? I got trapped outside all the walls and had to restart my game. Just wondering if this was something common.

Also, sorry for asking again but...can someone give me a teensy bit of help on the (Chapter 4 Investigation)
Escape Game? I see the "Watch the NEWS", I get that it corresponds to the compass in the back and the numbers on the wall, but the numbers that I try to input are wrong. Did I make a bad assumption in thinking that the compass was pointing North or that I'm supposed to use those numbers? The numbers I think are correct are 3 (North), 6 (East), 5 (West), and 7 (South), in that order (probably, I did just pull these from memory), but even trying a couple variations for the directionally challenged didn't seem to work. .__.

(Chapter 4 general)
And oh noooo Mechamaru :( You and your constant need to shit will be missed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I've seen quite a few people experience that glitch in Chapter 4. Strangely, I attempted to replicate it, but couldn't.

As for your other Chapter 4 spoiler,
I honestly don't remember much about that because I had to use a guide. Hell, if you check the main door you're trying to open (or was it Usami?), you can flat-out skip that section for 100 monocoins
. Sorry I can't be of much help for that part. I think others have asked for help & got some answers in this thread, but you'll have to (very carefully) search for them.

Droplet

Yeah, I've seen quite a few people experience that glitch in Chapter 4. Strangely, I attempted to replicate it, but couldn't.

As for your other Chapter 4 spoiler,
I honestly don't remember much about that because I had to use a guide. Hell, if you check the main door you're trying to open (or was it Usami?), you can flat-out skip that section for 100 monocoins
. Sorry I can't be of much help for that part. I think others have asked for help & got some answers in this thread, but you'll have to (very carefully) search for them.

I just saw a lot of people having trouble with glitches in Chapter 4. Probably should have checked the OT prior. I don't think I quite got the same one that everyone else did but I imagine the whole area is quite glitchy.

I guess I'll just look for some hints. I don't really want to use a guide but it's so frustrating to think I'll already there but I'm missing the last crucial piece. Thanks!

Edit: With all the warnings about people openly posting spoilers (even subtley), I'm scared of going through the thread ;_;

DaBoss

CH4 help to the above post:
Check every number again. Remember to note anything that is painted is there for a reason.

Probably as vague as I can get. If you would like something more specific, then you can ask.

Droplet

CH4 help to the above post:
Check every number again. Remember to note anything that is painted is there for a reason.

Probably as vague as I can get. If you would like something more specific, then you can ask.

Oooooooh.

Edit:
The binary part of this puzzle is tripping me up so much. I know I'm probably not supposed to think of it that way but I really want to use a modulus operation or something to bring some of these to one digit numbers :(

Kinsei

Banned
Now I'm done with chapter 2!

I now like Sonia.

I feel like Mahiru should have been the next victim. I was just starting to come around on her character, so I feel her death would have had a bigger effect on me if they waited a bit.

The X on Teruteru's picture being a fork and knife was a really nice touch.

Redhood

Just finished the game and ooh what a ride. The first few chapters are bit samey as DR1 but man how will they top chapter 5 & 6. They have brought the series to a higher level just as VLR did for Zero escape.

Kinsei

Banned
I finished case 3 last night, and it's my favorite case between the two games so far. I really like how the group is doing stuff together to try and form bonds like the fireworks and photo shoot. It really goes a long way to making you dread the next murder as you get to know the characters outside of free time.

Prediction time!
The next victim is going to be a guy and they'll either kill themselves or be the spy. The game has been following a subtle pattern when it comes to the gender of their victims and certain elements that pop up in the class trials, and after 3 cases I assume it's intentional.

Droplet

I just finished. I guess I could probably taking any of my questions about the ending to the spoiler thread so very briefly:

- Although the main-ish (Island) twist was fairly obvious at the very beginning, they did a pretty good job of keeping it under wraps so even though I thought I had figured it out I was doubting myself until the "glitches" started again
- I really liked these characters much more than the first cast. That was immediately solidified the moment the first cast came back.
- The difference in art style is reaaaally pronounced once we have the first cast come back. You can immediately see a kind of strangeness in the way they're colored and how their faces are drawn compared to the main cast of this game.
- I was spoiled on Hajime's real "talent" accidentally before I played the game but supposed he got it the same way Naegi got his. I was not expecting that twist. On that note, thank god he got a haircut.
- I saw every murder victim except the 3rd ones (thought it would be Fuyuhiko) coming from a mile away. It's like the moment we start to get to know a character is the moment they're going to die.
- The 3rd case was really hard for me. Normally there's something that clues you off to the killer immediately in the case, and although it was really obvious here, I was just so shocked by the killer that I couldn't believe it until I had selected them. It kind of creates a similar feeling to those of the characters. I loved that.
- Nagito was like, the worst thing ever.

edit: also, chapter 5 was AMAZING. My heart wouldn't stop beating throughout.

AniHawk

i think i might be one of the rare few who enjoys dr1 more. fuyuhiko, nagito, and hajime were great. i guess i liked kazuichi too. everyone else was a bit meh. the oppressive atmosphere of dr1 really helped a ton, i think.

FluxWaveZ

i think i might be one of the rare few who enjoys dr1 more.

I don't think they're rare at all, going by past discussions in DR threads. Most seem to prefer DR2, and there are certainly elements in DR2 that are better than DR1, but I'm one of those who preferred DR1 more due to the novelty, how characters interacted with each other, and the overall atmosphere. I've seen several others with the same opinion.

AniHawk

I don't think they're rare at all, going by past discussions in DR threads. Most seem to prefer DR2, and there are certainly elements in DR2 that are better than DR1, but I'm one of those who preferred DR1 more due to the novelty, how characters interacted with each other, and the overall atmosphere. I've seen several others with the same opinion.

well good to know i'm not alone on that. seems to be sort of the same issue i had going from 999 to vlr. in a lot of ways, really. dr2 doesn't really fall from dr1 like vlr did from 999 though.

Ambitious

Finished DR1 just ten minutes ago. I guess next I will watch the character endings of this school mode thingy on YouTube. I enjoyed the game, but I don't feel like playing this mode at all. Time to move on.

Apart from the information in the OP, I know virtually nothing about DR2. Looking forward to playing it soon.

Just finished Chapter 4

nOoZLLH.gif

Why did I put this down? Played Chapters 3 and 4 over the last couple of days. 3 was kinda underhwelming but 4, damn.
All the characters I hate are dead! Shame about Mechamaru though :(

How much do I have left to go hours wise?

Just finished Chapter 4

nOoZLLH.gif

Why did I put this down? Played Chapters 3 and 4 over the last couple of days. 3 was kinda underhwelming but 4, damn.
All the characters I hate are dead! Shame about Mechamaru though :(

How much do I have left to go hours wise?

Lol , this spoiler is exactly why the next 2 chapter
will hurt even more !!

Audioboxer

Dem feels at the end of Chapter 2.

When I first started playing this I thought I didn't like the setting and characters compared to 1, but I'm coming around now :)

Gundham Tanaka and his 4 devas of cuteness have now joined Jaws on the list of characters I like.

Byakuya NOOOOOO! You were my second favorite character in the first game and my favorite here T_T. So long Teruteru, you will not be missed.

*Looks at my avatar*

...why do people hate Teruteru? T_T

Cha

Just finished Chapter 4

http://i.imgur.com/nOoZLLH.gif /img]

Why did I put this down? Played Chapters 3 and 4 over the last couple of days. 3 was kinda underhwelming but 4, damn. [SPOILER]All the characters I hate are dead! Shame about Mechamaru though :([/SPOILER]

How much do I have left to go hours wise?[/QUOTE]

I also just finished Chapter 4. I feel the same. Until now, everything was great, but still felt a bit "expected". Even though I had a suspicion about the killer early on in the investigation, I was completely stumped about how they would have killed, what was used to perform the killing and[SPOILER] how they moved around the funhouse.[/SPOILER] Hope the chapters continue ramping up from here.

Ambitious

I bought DR2 yesterday with the PSN discount and planned to start playing it this week. But I accidentally read a big spoiler in the recent LTTP thread for DR1. I'm so pissed.

The spoiler:
A character called Nagito/Nakito/Nariko (something like that) is in service of the mastermind. An accomplice or spy. I closed the tab immediately when I realized what I was reading, so that's why I'm not sure of his exact name and role. But it's bad enough: Even if I misread and he's actually innocent, I will not be able to not assume he's a bad guy until the credits roll.

I bought DR2 yesterday with the PSN discount and planned to start playing it this week. But I accidentally read a big spoiler in the recent LTTP thread for DR1. I'm so pissed.

The spoiler:
A character called Nagito/Nakito/Nariko (something like that) is in service of the mastermind. An accomplice or spy. I closed the tab immediately when I realized what I was reading, so that's why I'm not sure of his exact name and role. But it's bad enough: Even if I misread and he's actually innocent, I will not be able to not assume he's a bad guy until the credits roll.

I wouldn't worry about what you read at all, seriously.

FluxWaveZ

The spoiler:

That's not correct at all, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. That person is an antagonist, and you discover that extremely early in the game at chapter 1, but you didn't read anything like that in the thread you're referring to.

Ambitious

I wouldn't worry about what you read at all, seriously.

That's not correct at all, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. That person is an antagonist, and you discover that extremely early in the game at chapter 1, but you didn't read anything like that in the thread you're referring to.

Well this makes me feel way better. Thanks.
I probably misread or misinterpreted it, yeah.

Top Bottom