• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

DaBoss

Haha, that's something they would do alright.
Still, nothing is confirmed or denied in the actual games for now and they're already thinking about time travel for D3 so they can do what they want basically. The possibility is there.
They pretty much are separate people when you consider Nagito's actions wouldn't make sense since Makoto would know everything that is going on, but Nagito was way off the mark.

There is also a side story that explains Nagito's life and why he got the title "Ultimate Lucky Student" which is canon.

LX_Theo

Banned
Haha, that's something they would do alright.
Still, nothing is confirmed or denied in the actual games for now and they're already thinking about time travel for D3 so they can do what they want basically. The possibility is there.

No offense, but you sound like you're in complete denial about a theory of yours being debunked.

Prelude.

They pretty much are separate people when you consider Nagito's actions wouldn't make sense since Makoto would know everything that is going on, but Nagito was way off the mark.

There is also a side story that explains Nagito's life and why he got the title "Ultimate Lucky Student" which is canon.
But what if he's a deranged Makoto from the future? What happened in the past wouldn't really matter. Considering the series almost anything is in the realm of possibility. And I mean, Liquid Ocelot happened.

No offense, but you sound like you're in complete denial about a theory of yours being debunked.
There's nothing to debunk, I'm just saying that they set up things and left them unanswered in the games so they could possibly be used in the future if they want to. As of now, I don't have any theory, they did it to make the player believe certain things apparently but in the games they're just there.

Oh and of course I didn't play AE so I might be missing some new details.

upandaway

Mechamaru is so good. Amazing.
His clock is so going to be used in murder somehow...

Regarding Mikan, that was beyond all my expectations. I couldn't even process what was happening during the post-trial.

HOLY CRAP A SAKURA STATUE!!!

Yep, there we go, I knew it'd be Nekomaru. This is the worst. Why not kill Kazuichi or something man.

About to enter the trial

Well if there's a way to go freely between the two buildings after clearing the death room, then I can't rule out any of the teams... only people I can really rule out are Chiaki and Nagito. All I got is that the killer might have abused Mechamaru's body to automate him to kill himself, no clue what happened.

Also that was easily the most fun investigation so far (across both DR games). A lot was going on like with Hajime's past, the escape puzzle was nice, I really liked everything. Still bummed out about Mechamaru dying, but I was mentally prepared for it, ever since he showed his clock I knew he's gonna bite it next.

Pretty amusing to see Nagito act so high and mighty about knowing the secret to the buildings, when he only realized it after seeing big hints about it :lol

end

For the longest time I thought Nekomaru maybe killed himself to save everyone else from starving... how wrong I was. Well sort of wrong. On this subject I'll say Gundham really surprised me, I'm not used to chuunibyos acting like that, dunno how to say it, I guess... not comic relief? He was relatively grounded.

Just when it was obvious he and Sonia are getting something going on he had to go die. I was all ready to set the ship sailing, too... Sonia was losing it at the end of the trial too. Don't know what to think. Evidently what I'll do now is hope Sonia murders someone too so I can continue shipping them in hell. RIP in life Kazuichi

Chiaki and Nagito still going strong, thank god

upandaway

*ahem* okay... man. I had to take a moment out of there to calm down. There was no chance to rest since the chapter started.

Investigation is just about to start (I might wait until tomorrow to do it because, man, this is a lot to take in), they found Nagito. The killer really went wild on him holy crap. I wasn't expecting him to make it out honestly (I was really hoping, though, he's so good) but not like this man. What a scene.

Without investigating anything yet, my instant thought ever since I saw the fire start is that Sonia killed him, that might be too obvious though. I just felt like ever since chapter 3 she's one of the few that I can see being a killer and she's finally the only one left of that group.

RIP Nagito, have fun with Kumagawa in the afterlife

DaBoss

*ahem* okay... man. I had to take a moment out of there to calm down. There was no chance to rest since the chapter started.

Investigation is just about to start (I might wait until tomorrow to do it because, man, this is a lot to take in), they found Nagito. The killer really went wild on him holy crap. I wasn't expecting him to make it out honestly (I was really hoping, though, he's so good) but not like this man. What a scene.

Without investigating anything yet, my instant thought ever since I saw the fire start is that Sonia killed him, that might be too obvious though. I just felt like ever since chapter 3 she's one of the few that I can see being a killer and she's finally the only one left of that group.

You didn't say anything about
the music. The investigation music in that chapter is the best.

Yeah, you need to be well-rested and emotionally-hardened to take on case 5. Wait until tomorrow.

eJ1nev8.png

upandaway

Freaking hell...
that tetris block... by the end of ch5 in DR1 there was already hope everywhere.

My two favorite characters...

I need to take a bath...

upandaway

Monokuma stealing my lines and saying it's a virtual world after I finish that Hangman and am about to say it: true despair

This is so good

Starting the trial now, I'm ready for the home stretch

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The game hums along pretty well for the first four cases and then just becomes a bit of a slog. At least the music is good for the ending.

upandaway

He went super saiyan and Chiaki came back and happy ending everything. All I could have hoped for (see what I did there). I'm a bit upset that they showed Usami literally coming back and not Chiaki but screw it, I believe in the future. Nagito with a Junko hand? I don't know about you man but heck that's even better to me. The fact he can't even move it is the best part.
Makoto and co. showing up again was really hype, really the whole chapter was a nonstop rainbow train to the ending. It was a ton of fun, and seeing Junko again was amazing, though the climax was definitely chapter 5 which was freaking insane. I'm still not over that tetris block.

Overall in terms of story I don't really know what to say (just um, look at the past 2 pages, haha... ha...) but anyways:

I think in general DR1's executions were quite a bit crazier and harsher than in 2 (except for FREAKING TETRIS which is the worst one), aside from that I enjoyed 2's cast a lot more. It's such an amazing series that came out of nowhere and I'm hopelessly (see what I did there) in love with it. Really looking forward to more despair in the future.

I also haven't forgotten that Sonia slip that she isn't a virgin. On this subject this game was so lewd. It's one of the lewdest games I've played. So many dirty jokes!

I really need to take a bit of a break and digest all of this before I get into the extras (still need to get all hope fragments), but what's this about the novel in the title screen, or Zero? I can't say I'm too excited about text-only format DR, but do I need this?

upandaway

So how much despair you felt when
your favorites characters died?
Man chapter 5 was really the worst. Going from 4 to 5 I was all over Nagito and Chiaki, 5 took them both and in the two most horrible ways to die in the game. Ibuki dying with that creepy video was also a big hit, I had to take a break. Pekoyama's final scene before the execution was intense too.

Unlike DR1 though I can live with it knowing they were all revived afterwards (including Chiaki, even if they'll have to use VR to see her it counts man IT COUNTS), it's a huge help. Like I said if they have random Junko body parts that's all the better, I can roll with it.

I really need to take a bit of a break and digest all of this before I get into the extras (still need to get all hope fragments), but what's this about the novel in the title screen, or Zero? I can't say I'm too excited about text-only format DR, but do I need this?

Danganronpa IF is the one unlocked when finishing DR2. As its name says, it is a what-if story concerning the events of DR1, altough it wasn't written by the main writer of the series. Zero references are minor, so you don't have to worry.

Danganronpa/Zero is a 2-book light novel written by Kodaka that works as a prequel to the first game, so it is canon. Although it establishes some plot points that would play part on DR2, playing the game before does nothing to the enjoyment of the story. There is complete translation of both books in Tumblr, but I'd be careful because DR has an infamous reputation concerning spoilers.

upandaway

Danganronpa IF is the one unlocked when finishing DR2. As its name says, it is a what-if story concerning the events of DR1, altough it wasn't written by the main writer of the series. Zero references are minor, so you don't have to worry.

Danganronpa/Zero is a 2-book light novel written by Kodaka that works as a prequel to the first game, so it is canon. Although it establishes some plot points that would play part on DR2, playing the game before does nothing to the enjoyment of the story. There is complete translation of both books in Tumblr, but I'd be careful because DR has an infamous reputation concerning spoilers.
Thanks a lot, that's easy to understand. I think I'll leave this to think about for when the next game comes out then.

Gonna start with the hope fragments and unlocking today, I feel like I'm still too weak to see the characters again but I have to do it

Joining the party one year late.

Just finished Chapter 3 and
I'm glad crybaby / batshit insane Mikan is gone.

I also thought that
fat Byakuya
was the
traitor
but that theory went out the window when
Monokuma mentioned the traitor is still alive.

...I'm the traitor, aren't I. Unknown ultimate ability and all. -_-

xzeldax3

Fuck.

Chiaki's execution video pissed me off because when she ran away, I thought it was going end up like how Makoto was saved in his execution in DR1. At least she showed up in the end and made me go super saiyan...

Finished the game.

Pretty sure the developers just wanted to fuck with my head all the way from the ending of Chapter 5 to the epilogue.

Play time: 28h 47 min

Quite sure they wanted to mess with everyone from the middle of part 4 to the end.
I mean... everything that happens once
he recovers the student profiles
to the end is made to mess with the player perspective

Do you guys mind if I bump this to ask a story question? About that ending...

Hajime and the others should be ultimate despair right there, since they did the Shutdown sequence, correct? In that case, why does Hajime look like his avatar in the virtual world and not the real hajime a.k.a. Nakamura?

Anyway, loved DR2. I think I still like the first one more because the story was easier to compreehend, but DR2 is still an amazing game.

Do you guys mind if I bump this to ask a story question? About that ending...

Hajime and the others should be ultimate despair right there, since they did the Shutdown sequence, correct? In that case, why does Hajime look like his avatar in the virtual world and not the real hajime a.k.a. Nakamura?

Anyway, loved DR2. I think I still like the first one more because the story was easier to compreehend, but DR2 is still an amazing game.

I'm not sure but IIRC
That's because the "avatars" were formed with their pre-Hope's Peak personalities. I don't know how those personalities were preserved, though.

I'm not sure but IIRC
That's because the "avatars" were formed with their pre-Hope's Peak personalities. I don't know how those personalities were preserved, though.

Yeah but they are out of the simulation in the end. It should show how they are phisically at that point.

I also don't understant why the "dead" guys couldn't be brought back in that scenario.
The program didn't finish for anybody. If they could upload hajime's mind back (even if it's to the point right before they were put inside the program) the same should have happenned to everyone.

Yeah but they are out of the simulation in the end. It should show how they are phisically at that point.

I also don't understant why the "dead" guys couldn't be brought back in that scenario.
The program didn't finish for anybody. If they could upload hajime's mind back (even if it's to the point right before they were put inside the program) the same should have happenned to everyone.

Answers :
About the apperances :
Hajime only cut his hair and removed the coat That's the only difference in design between his avatar appearance and his normal appearance.
He cut his hair like in every anime/manga franchise, to show his change of attitude ( from ultimate despair to something else that was born from his experience with chiaki )

About the dead guys :
They can't be brought back because they believe they're dead.. they might recover , but right now they certainly can't wake up.
The main aim of the simulation was to rollback to a safe point and to make them gather hope so they could face their situation IRL without reverting to ultimate despairs. but that's a matter of memory manipulation. it doesn't change what happenned to the bodies. Just like junko can't wake the dead in order to install herself in a void body, they can't come back , because there is no place to go. They basicly became ( all the dead ) vegetables.

Rektash

Today I learned that
"The...the gummy at the crime scene was yellow, so it obviously looked like it was lemon-flavored..."

Really game? That must have been the weakest and most far fetched evidence in this series yet.
I even checked what kind flavors of gummies in the bag were and since the dropped gummy description didn t really say anything about flavor I just dismissed it. What prevents a grape gummy from beeing yellow? Because thats what I thought.

Ugh, followed by a terrible rebuttal that you literally have to play perfectly if you haven't bought sword skills. Worst chapter in the whole series so far.
Well at least Chapter 1 was good fun!

Today I learned that
"The...the gummy at the crime scene was yellow, so it obviously looked like it was lemon-flavored..."

Really game? That must have been the weakest and most far fetched evidence in this series yet.
I even checked what kind flavors of gummies in the bag were and since the dropped gummy description didn t really say anything about flavor I just dismissed it. What prevents a grape gummy from beeing yellow? Because thats what I thought.

Well at least Chapter 1 was good fun!

because that's how they are..
unless you specify that the gummies have different colors from their flavors, you stick to the established rules it's after all an item available to purchase at the shop that anyone can get. a simple look at the bag would show this fact.

Rektash

because that's how they are..
unless you specify that the gummies have different colors from their flavors, you stick to the established rules it's after all an item available to purchase at the shop that anyone can get. a simple look at the bag would show this fact.

Nah man, what you describe as "established rules" doesn't exists in this case as far as I am concerned.
Had the description said that the dropped gummy was citrus flavor I would have known immediatly. The link is that lemon flavored gummies must be citrus flavored (which is ridiculous - we haven t even seen any other gummies. For all we know every gummy no matter the flavor could have been yellow). Well there is yellow stuff on the gummy bag as well, so there goes that. It is just a super weak piece of evidence.

Top Bottom