• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one playing as merc? Im 5hrs/2bosses in (don't judge me) and was wondering if paired swords can be found out in the wild? Or can you pair your own two swords?

I'm planning on starting as a Merc. I assume by the looks of them, they're a bit lighter on their feet than the Knight. Heading home from work now and cannot wait to get in and start it!

Sylas

Hate to say it, but Greatswords just don't cut it in DS3. They are too slow and the small damage bonus isn't worth the risk with such small attack windows. Moved over to the Broadsword and love it. Doing almost the same damage as a Claymore, but much faster attack.

Give it time for scaling to actually kick in. Once you get better infusions, more weapons really take off as well.

Any one playing as merc? Im 5hrs/2bosses in (don't judge me) and was wondering if paired swords can be found out in the wild? Or can you pair your own two swords?
The twinswords can be found in the wild. All starting weapons/armors/spells can be found. You cannot pair up any two swords. You can dual wield, but no powerstance, so it's basically pointless right now. You'll know when you get a twin weapon.

Hate to say it, but Greatswords just don't cut it in DS3. They are too slow and the small damage bonus isn't worth the risk with such small attack windows. Moved over to the Broadsword and love it. Doing almost the same damage as a Claymore, but much faster attack.

How far in can you get the Broadsword? Before or after the Claymore?

Guevara

Hey Dark Souls bros, it's that time again.

Is there a good non-spoilery starting guide to DSIII?

Basically: what's a good starting class this go-round. Are any classes especially easy, hard, or new?

Soulflarz

Banned
actually going to use it over the
ice sword
for now. and upgrade it since it only needs titanite shards (as opposed to
the ice sword
which needs twinkling)

Tbf ice sword is great, and if you want a sword like it but can't use that, just use the longsword, it's stupidly good for what it is.

I'm using the reskinned and renamed greatsword of artorias when I come back to this game in 2hr47m~ (I'm basically counting down)

Anyone using a borderless window program with this? I need a recommendation.

Also curious

xPhinehas

Hey Dark Souls bros, it's that time again.

Is there a good non-spoilery starting guide to DSIII?

Basically: what's a good starting class this go-round. Are any classes especially easy, hard, or new?

I started with Knight. Seems pretty managable. He starts with a 100% physical guard on sheild.

chris121580

Aldrich
was a motherfucker but I finally got his ass! Also, can you summon more than 1 player to help you with a boss? Seems like I could only have 1 person help

Marking the fuck out for the Demon's Souls influence

Only beat first boss and got to Firelink. Taking a break but wow, this game is going to be something else

Also went with Mercenary. Liked the Beserk-ish outfit and twin scimitars seemed neat. Knight armor looks great but figured may as well pick something a little more interesting. LOVE the strong R2 attack. First boss was incredible. Gah. lol

So how does the password co-op system supposed to work?
If you want to co-op with someone specific do you both need to enter the same password at the settings screen or?

Because for about 30 min now friend and I trying to connect but we don't see each other summon signs.

And if we don't use a password we get summoned to someone else before we see each other signs.

Any info about this?

rdytoroll

Just making sure about possible path early-mid game :
So I just defeated Deacons of the Deep. Is the Cathedral a dead end? The only way I have left now is through the forest/swamp area right? Don't wanna miss a boss

Daft Punk

Banned
Hey, I'm in the first area and got to
the bottom of the tower where I ran into a guy in a jail cell sitting down. Is the key nearby
or am I going the wrong way?

aravuus

High Lord Wolnir
dead. I... Didn't think much of it.

Really cool looking, but not really a fun battle imo.
The only dangerous thing is the fog that more or less insta-kills you, and even that's bad because it's so fucking hard to tell where it actually will damage you and where it won't.

Just making sure about possible path early-mid game :
So I just defeated Deacons of the Deep. Is the Cathedral a dead end? The only way I have left now is through the forest/swamp area right? Don't wanna miss a boss

yeah you gotta go back through the swamp area. But you needed to beat them to proceed so.

Funniest thing for me so far was killing off two NPCs early on. Sorry, but I needed your Elite Knight armor!

There+is+an+easier+way+_4e0da8ab71b96feab1d4d0e97c7ca3e3.png

Just got through the first Boss, it took me two tries. I really enjoyed it, the boss really felt like it had "weight" to it if that's a term.

Decided to go with a Mage-Assasin for my first go around, this'll be the first time I use magic in souls game. Atmosphere so far is also the best of any Soul's game aside from Bloodborne.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you are forgetting the stagger they do tho. I just destroyed the npc that drops
butcher's knife
with a +3 claymore

Hey guys. Just got done reading through the Prima Guide. Some of the armor sets look fucking fantastic! Such a huge variety of weapons as well! Can't wait to get further in this game.

Tenebrous

Really cool looking, but not really a fun battle imo.
The only dangerous thing is the fog that more or less insta-kills you, and even that's bad because it's so fucking hard to tell where it actually will damage you and where it won't.

That happened to me the first time. Second time I killed him without taking damage... Once he gets towards the top of the hill/back of the room & stops coming forwrard, the fog doesn't come near you, and his hand attacks are so weak they didn't even break my guard.

Definitely the weakest so far.

If I'm going STR, what's a good weapon to level?

I'm digging the claymore, but it's my go-to 2H weapon for Demon's & Dark Souls, so there is a bit of bias there.

UberLevi

Whoa, just beat the
Curse-Rotted Wood
on my first try and I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if it was particularly easy to fight.

Zocano

If only I liked dex weapons, I'd use the scythe for early game PvP.

Any gankers got advice for low STR/DEX weapons to wreck house?

edit: Using the Irithyll straight sword for now but might use a flavor of claymore.

you are forgetting the stagger they do tho. I just destroyed the npc that drops
butcher's knife
with a +3 claymore

True, I was still using my Claymore when I fought that NPC too and baiting out attacks followed by Strong Attack combo was devastating.

The Claymore just seems poor when I get into crowds. The slow attack means I get hit and staggered compared to the Broadsword/Longsword where an attack gets off and they stagger instead.

CryptiK

Whoa, just beat the
Curse-Rotted Wood
on my first try and I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if it was particularly easy to fight.
It was super easy. So far the bosses have been easy AF the only one I have died to is the First boss, and that was because my controller cable broke. Everything after that no issues. DS2 was harder.

Evilcrane

Spent way too much time creating my character, but I'm pretty happy with Lady Fumbles!

r8CQgdg.jpg

First boss was cool as hell!
Almost got him on the first try, but I was not prepared for that Resident Evil Final Form and got slammed by some tentacles :) Managed to beat him on the second try.

The Katana master was quite nasty, managed to finish him/her off with only a couple of pixels worth of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom