• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD said:
Some anecdotal evidence for game sales. My GameStop store official has both Darksiders and Bayonetta. We received 20 copies of Darksiders and 10 copies of Bayonetta. Some of the people I've talked to seemed to be turned off by just how ridiculous Bayonetta is. That makes me sad, but it could be that Darksiders is on track to surprise people how well it sales. Could be a real sleeper hit.

Darksiders has also been the 3rd best seller (behind MW2 and AC2) on EB/Gamestops site for the past few days. So it doesn't seem like it's being ignored like some feared.

roxya

Well I did my bit and preordered, and I've never preordered a game I was this unsure about before. I'm quietly optimistic that it won't let me down, however :)

Nemesis_

ZealousD said:
Some anecdotal evidence for game sales. My GameStop store official has both Darksiders and Bayonetta. We received 20 copies of Darksiders and 10 copies of Bayonetta. Some of the people I've talked to seemed to be turned off by just how ridiculous Bayonetta is. That makes me sad, but it could be that Darksiders is on track to surprise people how well it sales. Could be a real sleeper hit.

Bayonetta isn't ridiculous though.

>=(

JohngPR

I have both versions of the game on my Gamefly GameQ. I'm hoping that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories gets to them in time for them to send me this soon after the 5th.

I'm considering buying it if I can get that artbook from GS. :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nemesis556 said:

>=(

Sure it is.

Awesomely ridiculous.

Some people just can't understand that.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ya i watched a bit when I first posted. Stopped after he failed to glide over a gap 4 times in a row.

Came back a few minutes ago and watched again. Jumped off a ledge into some lava trying to make an easy jump twice. Got up on a railing and jumped into the same lava again after latching on. Wow.

This game is very Zelda-esqe. It even plays sound bites when u solve a puzzle or pick up items out of a chest :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oh god he is still playing. And hes still in the first dungeon. looks like someone is getting 50 hours out of this game.

edit: O fuck yes. He's in a big room right now with multiple gear item activated switches, gears to be turned, a bridge to be rearranged, platforming to be done and visible secrets taunting him. This game is for me.

OK, I'm getting the same frustrating feeling I get watching people I know struggle with the easiest games that makes me just want to snatch the controller from them. I can't watch anymore :lol

Oneself

Yeah this guy sucks so much it's not even funny.

Damn the game looks hot though. Jan 5th can't be here soon enough.

SamBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:
If it's not too much to ask, how many dungeons are in this game would you say?

All these impressions are making killin' me. All this time to think nothing of this Darksiders game for it to go almost immediately to one of my most anticipated games in the span of a week, and only shortly before its release, is crazy.

Not at all, sorry for the late reply. I want to say... six? I can't remember. There are four major ones and then another massive one that kinda counts as two if I'm remembering it right. They seemed to get progressively longer as the game went on, but that might just have been because they get more complex further into the game.

As an aside, it'll be interesting to see when some of you finish the game. I brought a retail copy of with me down here to LA when I drove down to help a friend who had to fly into SF because he couldn't get a flight out of Seattle and watching the first few cutscenes I actually had to bite my tongue when I flashed back to the end of the game and the last line. Re-watching the first parts of the game just pumped me up that much more for the sequel.

Hot damn is this a good game. I sold one friend on Darksiders, his wife on Valkyria Chronicles and both of 'em on LittleBigPlanet and Buzz. I feel my work here is done. I am not looking forward to that six hour trip (at best) back up to SF solo, though. The things I do for my friends...

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
On the one hand, I'm super hyped now.

On the other hand, I don't think people understand the gravity of comparing a game to Zelda. If I get Darksiders and the dungeon and puzzle design is weak shit compared to Zelda, I'm gonna be PISSED :lol

This one, the suffocation thing.

Nemesis556 said:

>=(

my hair turned into a monster and ate a badguy.

my hair turned into a monster and ate a badguy.

anyway, darksiders looks cool. I plan to get/rent them both on monday.

Lyonaz

Played about 5-6 hours total.

Loving it, currently doing the 2nd dungeon.
The dungeons feel pretty much the same as any Zelda game, you can get a map, a compass
and the special weapon for progress and boss killing.

Got a few weapons and more moves, the combat feels like God of War 2. So I'm enjoying it quite a bit.:D

This game has great characters and their designs are awesome and amazing.

Nemesis_

Anyway, I've missed a piece of this armour which is in the Twilight Cathedral on the platform that rises up after placing three swords on it (just before fighting Tiamat). Upon returning the platform is still raised and I cannot get up - is this right? =( Have I missed it.

The dungeons feel pretty much the same as any Zelda game, you can get a map, a compass

Where did you find a map and compass? I didn't get either of them in the Cathedral. >_>

Korey

After playing the Dante's Inferno demo, I made the observation that the Blades of Chaos reeeeeally contributed a lot to God of War's fun/visceral feel. A scythe just didn't feel the same and I'm guessing War's sword won't either.

BUT I'm still looking forward to this game a lot, but I can't believe it's coming out the same day as Bayonetta...I hope GameFly sends me both

AniHawk

Korey said:
After playing the Dante's Inferno demo, I made the observation that the Blades of Chaos reeeeeally contributed a lot to God of War's fun/visceral feel. A scythe just didn't feel the same and I'm guessing War's sword won't either.

BUT I'm still looking forward to this game a lot, but I can't believe it's coming out the same day as Bayonetta...I hope GameFly sends me both

I could have really done without this game being good. In addition to this and Bayonetta coming out the same day, NMH2, TVC, and Mass Effect 2 come out the same day too, at the end of the month.

Lyonaz

Nemesis556 said:
Anyway, I've missed a piece of this armour which is in the Twilight Cathedral on the platform that rises up after placing three swords on it (just before fighting Tiamat). Upon returning the platform is still raised and I cannot get up - is this right? =( Have I missed it.

Where did you find a map and compass? I didn't get either of them in the Cathedral. >_>

They're hidden in the chests that look like the Indiana Jones' Ark, the compass is called Hoardseeker I think.
Just explore, the amount of hidden places I find that have treasures chests are quite plentiful.

About missable items, I can't help you there, I usually tend to backtrack and explore when I get gear that can open up new pathways.

Amir0x

Banned
SamBishop said:
Not at all, sorry for the late reply. I want to say... six? I can't remember. There are four major ones and then another massive one that kinda counts as two if I'm remembering it right. They seemed to get progressively longer as the game went on, but that might just have been because they get more complex further into the game.

As an aside, it'll be interesting to see when some of you finish the game. I brought a retail copy of with me down here to LA when I drove down to help a friend who had to fly into SF because he couldn't get a flight out of Seattle and watching the first few cutscenes I actually had to bite my tongue when I flashed back to the end of the game and the last line. Re-watching the first parts of the game just pumped me up that much more for the sequel.

Hot damn is this a good game. I sold one friend on Darksiders, his wife on Valkyria Chronicles and both of 'em on LittleBigPlanet and Buzz. I feel my work here is done. I am not looking forward to that six hour trip (at best) back up to SF solo, though. The things I do for my friends...

And you and ZealousD also sold me on Darksiders sooooo... you can add me to your hit list :lol

Anihawk said:
I could have really done without this game being good. In addition to this and Bayonetta coming out the same day, NMH2, TVC, and Mass Effect 2 come out the same day too, at the end of the month.

Well judging by games like "No more Heroes 2" on your list, it doesn't seem to matter whether games or good or not for you to buy them ;)

ram

sooo - played it for a bit (ps3 version) and WTF @ hype??? its a straight 7 / 10 game and nothing more. it has many elements true - but darksiders does not a good job at any ot them. it kinda reminded me on primal (which looked better) or soul reaver 2 (which had better story and design). should have been on ps2 years ago - now it feels old.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Well judging by games like "No more Heroes 2" on your list, it doesn't seem to matter whether games or good or not for you to buy them ;)

After NMH I'm cautiously optimistic about the sequel- especially if most of my problems with the first game are fixed. But I can't believe the first was so well received. I mean, better reviews than MIRROR'S EDGE?!

Amir0x

Banned
ram said:
sooo - played it for a bit (ps3 version) and WTF @ hype??? its a straight 7 / 10 game and nothing more. it has many elements true - but darksiders does not a good job at any ot them. it kinda reminded me on primal (which looked better) or soul reaver 2 (which had better story and design). should have been on ps2 years ago - now it feels old.

primal looked better than this?

Now them be some rose-tinted goggles.

Anihawk said:
After NMH I'm cautiously optimistic about the sequel- especially if most of my problems with the first game are fixed. But I can't believe the first was so well received. I mean, better reviews than MIRROR'S EDGE?!

Really reviewers pretty unanimously missed the boat on the calibre of game Mirror's Edge was. Hopefully they'll get it right for Mirror's Edge 2.

ram

Amir0x said:
primal looked better than this?

Now them be some rose-tinted goggles.

darksiders looks like a upscaled ps2 - bad textures, ugly characters, tearing and aliasing issues. play primal in progressive scan and the game kicks the shit out of darksiders in terms of visuals.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Really reviewers pretty unanimously missed the boat on the calibre of game Mirror's Edge was. Hopefully they'll get it right for Mirror's Edge 2.

Reviewers kinda miss the boat on platformers in general.

Mirror's Edge 2 hitting late this year would be so awesome though. It should be on its way to shipping out by Fall this year.

Amir0x

Banned
ram said:
darksiders looks like a upscaled ps2 - bad textures, ugly characters, tearing and aliasing issues. play primal in progressive scan and the game kicks the shit out of darksiders in terms of visuals.

It's always amusing to me how peoples memories of how things look completely fucking clashes with reality.

Darksiders looks infinitely better than Primal, and the scale is also infinitely larger. I'm not going to say the tearing issues aren't bad or anything, I don't know, but I do know the total visual package is a completely different league than Primal. I've played Primal and I've seen many videos of Darksiders now. It's an absurd comparison and one that could only be made in the absence of facts.

RS4-

I'm at the Cathedral, only skills I've purchased were air dash and the slow auto wrath refill. :lol

I'm actually surprised that you can't do air kills (I don't remember the name, but it involves the B button) when you launch someone. The flying dudes, sure, since you know...they fly. But the regular chumps, I have to wait until they're on the ground if I want to do the animated ones.
And afaik, regular finishers and B finishers yield different results in regards to souls?

Lyonaz

RS4- said:
I'm at the Cathedral, only skills I've purchased were air dash and the slow auto wrath refill. :lol

I'm actually surprised that you can't do air kills (I don't remember the name, but it involves the B button) when you launch someone. The flying dudes, sure, since you know...they fly. But the regular chumps, I have to wait until they're on the ground if I want to do the animated ones.
And afaik, regular finishers and B finishers yield different results in regards to souls?

Yeah I miss an instant air kill also, the game has a launcher but you can't throw your enemy when airborne, you can do air combos though.
But my playstyle is always ground-combos and when they're launched I want to be able to finish them off or throw them on the ground and restart ground-combos.
(I blame Bayonetta which I finished before I got this game)

RS4-

Yeah, I'm completely spoiled by the combat system in Bayonetta; going to Darksiders feels a little...dated.

Those fat fucks that explode, really annoying. And what's up with the flying part? My aim is inverted, but I can't do the same for flying :lol

Playing on Apocalyptic, so dying isn't that big of a problem, you restart with full health!

Odrion

Banned
Oh god I've been waiting for a Next-Gen zelda clone for too long now. TOO LONG. ;_;

The dude may look like he fell out of World of Warcraft but if the game is said to be good (really polished? that's a rare thing this generation), I'm going to buy the fuck out of it.

Top Bottom