• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating-Age |OT3| Positivity, Confidence, and Not Being a "Nice" Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things are either making this worse, or causing it outright. Tomorrow would have been the anniversary of the day I met my ex (we've been broken up for 8 months), and also Valentine's Day is coming up shortly.

So GAF, what can I do to help myself here? I'm lonely, but I don't desire (maybe am afraid of?) a relationship, and casual flings apparently aren't doing it for me anymore. I feel kind of stuck.

How is feeling lonely affecting your sex drive? what did you have in mind last night? your mind just wasn't in it?

I casual flings aren't doing it for you any more, take a break from it all. It won't help the loneliness OR it will motivate you to get back out there again. Did you ever get closure with the ex?

How is feeling lonely affecting your sex drive? what did you have in mind last night? your mind just wasn't in it?

I casual flings aren't doing it for you any more, take a break from it all. It won't help the loneliness OR it will motivate you to get back out there again. Did you ever get closure with the ex?

Well I thought I wanted sex because I hoped that it would help me forget about my internal conflict, but then when it came time to do it, I found that somehow my mind and my heart weren't in it at all.

Maybe a break is a good idea.

I never did get closure from my ex. I almost just fell into the trap of telling the whole sad story here, but that wouldn't do anyone any good. So no, there was no closure, and so far she hasn't responded when I've tried to contact her, so I can't expect to get it any time soon.

Well I thought I wanted sex because I hoped that it would help me forget about my internal conflict, but then when it came time to do it, I found that somehow my mind and my heart weren't in it at all.

Maybe a break is a good idea.

I never did get closure from my ex. I almost just fell into the trap of telling the whole sad story here, but that wouldn't do anyone any good. So no, there was no closure, and so far she hasn't responded when I've tried to contact her, so I can't expect to get it any time soon.

I know how you feel about the idea of sex filling the void. It doesn't help yet because you will be comparing every one with the ex. When you realize it's not her, and until you remove her from the pedestal, you will go into a depression that won't allow you to function and have fun. You will feel empty.

What questions do you have for the ex? what will they solve? You can't think that you were just not good enough for her, because that is never true. If your question is if she cheated or not (I don't know), that can only make it worse. You need to accept that you were two people that didn't match according to at least one of you (not because you did anything bad), and it takes two to tango in a long-term relationship.

Take some time for yourself, or don't look for dates. Challenge yourself to see how many chicks you can make out with when you go out. It will make you want to better yourself, increase your self-confidence, and you won't be looking for anything serious. That one girl will come that will make your ex seem like a horrible choice, and you will no longer have those rose tinted shades on.

I know how you feel about the idea of sex filling the void. It doesn't help yet because you will be comparing every one with the ex. When you realize it's not her, and until you remove her from the pedestal, you will go into a depression that won't allow you to function and have fun. You will feel empty.

What questions do you have for the ex? what will they solve? You can't think that you were just not good enough for her, because that is never true. If your question is if she cheated or not (I don't know), that can only make it worse. You need to accept that you were two people that didn't match according to at least one of you (not because you did anything bad), and it takes two to tango in a long-term relationship.

Take some time for yourself, or don't look for dates. Challenge yourself to see how many chicks you can make out with when you go out. It will make you want to better yourself, increase your self-confidence, and you won't be looking for anything serious. That one girl will come that will make your ex seem like a horrible choice, and you will no longer have those rose tinted shades on.

She broke up with me because she got scared that she could see herself settling down with me, and she wasn't sure yet if she ever would actually want to settle down.

The lack of closure stems from her leaving open the possibility of a reunion after she got over her issues, combined with her decision to not respond to any attempts to communicate with her. She was the only one I've ever been able to see myself marrying (though I never told her that), and the only one I've been hung up about for more than a month after it ended. It's tough to get over something like that, but not for lack of trying.

Is there any way you can tweak your advice for someone who doesn't like bars and clubs? I meet women through online sites and from approaching them when I'm out and about in public. The make-out approach might not work as well in a supermarket, heh

LosDaddie

Banned
So me and my friend who is a girl I'm interested in

Wow that's kind of direct, I've never said anything like that to her and I've known her for a year. .

Red flags there. You might already be (and probably are) friendzoned with this girl.

You want to be with this girl, right? Then stop being subtle with your flirting. Be more direct. Stop being her friend, and start being someone she wants to be with.

Again, this is general advice for everyone reading this thread. Stop being friends with girls you want to be with. The friendship part will come when you're dating them. You have to let these girls know from the get-go that you're not just another guy wanting to be "friends"... to give her attention whenever she feels like it.

She broke up with me because she got scared that she could see herself settling down with me, and she wasn't sure yet if she ever would actually want to settle down.

The lack of closure stems from her leaving open the possibility of a reunion after she got over her issues, combined with her decision to not respond to any attempts to communicate with her. She was the only one I've ever been able to see myself marrying (though I never told her that), and the only one I've been hung up about for more than a month after it ended. It's tough to get over something like that, but not for lack of trying.

Is there any way you can tweak your advice for someone who doesn't like bars and clubs? I meet women through online sites and from approaching them when I'm out and about in public. The make-out approach might not work as well in a supermarket, heh

I just recently had to let go a girl that I though I could marry, because she wasn't ready. It hurts like hell and makes you question the whole dating thing, but every one that passes gives you a clearer picture as to what you are looking for. Take the best, and notice the red flags, and you'll be closer and closer to what you want. If she really was the one for you, she would not need to go out there to realize what she really wants. You need someone that appreciates what is in front of the. Do you see yourself with somebody that on a whim can be unsure of what she wants? I'm sure it wasn't that you stopped treating her right, it's simply that she thought you guys didn't match. Be sure of your qualities, and someone that does't appreciate them, it's their loss.

As for no bars/clubs, it definitely makes it tough, because otherwise you have to go through the motions of dating. Why not try something different? or maybe express yourself in creative ways. Write poetry, something. You need an outlet, and this will help you grow.

I just recently had to let go a girl that I though I could marry, because she wasn't ready. It hurts like hell and makes you question the whole dating thing, but every one that passes gives you a clearer picture as to what you are looking for. Take the best, and notice the red flags, and you'll be closer and closer to what you want. If she really was the one for you, she would not need to go out there to realize what she really wants. You need someone that appreciates what is in front of the. Do you see yourself with somebody that on a whim can be unsure of what she wants? I'm sure it wasn't that you stopped treating her right, it's simply that she thought you guys didn't match. Be sure of your qualities, and someone that does't appreciate them, it's their loss.

As for no bars/clubs, it definitely makes it tough, because otherwise you have to go through the motions of dating. Why not try something different? or maybe express yourself in creative ways. Write poetry, something. You need an outlet, and this will help you grow.

Good advice all around, thanks. Even the part of me that wants her back knows that I need to get over her first if there's any chance of that happening. Seems a little paradoxical, but that's what it is.

I'll try going to a bar soon to see where it gets me. I've also been working on writing a novel recently; maybe I'll spend more time on that.

Xun

Ok this has nothing to do with girls or dating but I thought it'd be worth asking here.

Any of you guys gone to a concert alone? There's a musician I want to see in February but can't find anything to go with.

Ok this has nothing to do with girls or dating but I thought it'd be worth asking here.

Any of you guys gone to a concert alone? There's a musician I want to see in February but can't find anything to go with.

Well I've gone to speed dating alone... You could look at it that way. How would you prep for a speed date?

If you're social enough, I think you can go solo anywhere. Just depends on if you enjoy an event more so with friends (so you have someone to share and cheer with) or can have a good time being with strangers and getting to know people.

If it was me, I'd go it alone just to see what the concert's like.

Xun

Well I've gone to speed dating alone... You could look at it that way. How would you prep for a speed date?

If you're social enough, I think you can go solo anywhere. Just depends on if you enjoy an event more so with friends (so you have someone to share and cheer with) or can have a good time being with strangers and getting to know people.

If it was me, I'd go it alone just to see what the concert's like.
Yeah, I've already bought the ticket.

I think it'd be fun, and I can't imagine it being awkward at all.

Totally my kind of event. Would've been there man. I fucking love seeing new unknown artists.

Assuming your ''friends'' are declining this opportunity, just goes to show they're a drag. Its their loss my brostar.

Xun

Totally my kind of event. Would've been there man. I fucking love seeing new unknown artists.

Assuming your ''friends'' are declining this opportunity, just goes to show they're a drag. Its their loss my brostar.
Well he's not unknown, but I thought my friend who likes that kind of music would've jumped to the chance.

Ah well! Me, the music and some booze.

Should be good.

kaskade

So I am supposed to do a lab with this girl. She basically offered to meet up and help me with it. I should've just asked for her number right in the beginning when we were talking about it. But basically we ended up getting split up and I never got the number (we never set up a specific date and time). I don't know if I should add her on Facebook. I just don't want to come off as creepy or anything.

soultron

Banned
Well he's not unknown, but I thought my friend who likes that kind of music would've jumped to the chance.

Ah well! Me, the music and some booze.

Should be good.

I've done this multiple times. Mostly because none of my friends are really into my favourite genres. (Although I humour them and go to their concerts because I know it's a good time regardless! Jerks! :p)

Just make chit chat with people between sets. I find that if you're friendly (and not overbearing or pushy) most people will welcome you in if you can start a good conversation from the getgo. Some people won't be into talking to randoms, but I've actually made some decent friends from concerts when I went alone. Most of the time I just talk to people for a bit and then drop a, "Hey, I'm not from around here, where's a good place to grab a drink?" Some times people will say they're going to a bar and will even invite you!

This sounds very PUA, but make sure you talk to the guys first. Kind of obvious, right?

So I am supposed to do a lab with this girl. She basically offered to meet up and help me with it. I should've just asked for her number right in the beginning when we were talking about it. But basically we ended up getting split up and I never got the number (we never set up a specific date and time). I don't know if I should add her on Facebook. I just don't want to come off as creepy or anything.

Hey, something I can help with! Just add her. You can explain afterwards about the lab stuff.

It's Facebook, it's mostly insignificant. Don't sweat it.

Heh, just got a message on POF from a pretty cute girl. Here's what it said:

"I know this sounds wierd but your friend in the last pix u have posted is cute. Is he single???"

She's right about one thing. That does sound weird. The guy she's referring to is crippled.

POF has been a complete waste of time for me. It has more to do with my geographic location, however. I'm not driving 75 miles to meet someone. I'll never be that desperate.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Heh, just got a message on POF from a pretty cute girl. Here's what it said:

"I know this sounds wierd but your friend in the last pix u have posted is cute. Is he single???"

She's right about one thing. That does sound weird. The guy she's referring to is crippled.

You should be hooking your crippled friend up.

Whoa falling into a negative thought space right now. This is totally not cool... I need to get out, but no money to do so, I must hold up until my next paycheck

soultron

Banned
Whoa falling into a negative thought space right now. This is totally not cool... I need to get out, but no money to do so, I must hold up until my next paycheck

Walks are free! Throw on a podcast since they're not emotionally-influencing at all!

And, yeah, try to stay positive!

Walks are free! Throw on a podcast since they're not emotionally-influencing at all!

And, yeah, try to stay positive!

!! a walk !!! In my years on this shit, it has never occurred to me to just take a walk, great tip
It's dark and cold outside right now though, so I think I'll just watch Suze Orman's

Fuck that bitch hurt me good, but I'll get over it

soultron

Banned
!! a walk !!! In my years on this shit, it has never occurred to me to just take a walk, great tip
It's dark and cold outside right now though, so I think I'll just watch Suze Orman's

Fuck that bitch hurt me good, but I'll get over it

Man, I love night walks. I live in Canada, too, so don't tell me it's cold where you are! Haha. :p

Man, I love night walks. I live in Canada, too, so don't tell me it's cold where you are! Haha. :p

Canada is beautiful though. And safe. My neighborhood is not a pretty sight and anything is kind of far. Plus I am already in Pj's hahaha.

But I'll definitely have it in mind next time

I actually broke my rule and sent two messages today. Reason being I haven't checked Meet Me Now in over 2 months, and didn't realize there are a few hot girls in there that want to meet me. I should check that more often... haha.

Anyway, this girl has a REALLY short profile that left me with zero to go on. Nothing in Interests. Here's her profile:

"I am a romantic at heart and very honest person. I like to live a healthy life style by eating well and exercising; I am looking for the same in a man.

I am looking for a long term relationship; someone who is honest, responsible, loyal and caring, someone who could also be my best friend."

That was it! Anyway, I usually like to include a joke in my response. If not a joke, at least show enthusiasm. My response was this:

"Hi! I read your profile. You mentioned you're an honest person and are looking for another honest person. I like to think of myself as honest... brutally honest sometimes haha :)

I also believe that the strongest relationships are built around the two being best friends too. Having a lover, who is also your best friend, usually seems to end well. At least that's my take...

So what are your goals for the future?

Take care,
XXXX"

So I injected a little humor. I had to be careful. I wanted to comment on the best friend part, but didn't want to sound like I'd be OK with being just friends. So I went with I'll be your lover who is also your best friend. So I won't be your friend unless I'm fucking you.

Anyway, this girl responded. Here is her response:

"Hi XXXX,

Thanks for writing :) my name is XXXX I was born and raise in Lima Peru . I moved to California with my family in 2000.
How about you?

I work in advertising doing accounting but I want to become an art director.

How about you? "

These shortened but targeted first messages typically yield me like a 25% response rate.

Another thing: have a good profile! Have a pic of yourself doing something adventurous and fun. And use some Clenexia to get rid of those zits :) (it actually works)

EDIT - I'll respond to her message tomorrow morning. Don't want to look desperate.

Thought I'd give an update. She just asked me out. First date is tomorrow, thinking Starbucks at The Block.

What do you guys think about women that constantly say how good looking you are but are currently dating someone? I get that all the time. It seems like the only women that are ever interested in me are the ones that are taken.

threenote

Banned
Finished with this girl.
We're together, but she's always fucking rescheduling our dates. Everything is amazing when we are in person, but damn we can't even spend more than a few hours together at a time. We were finally going to spend a day together tomorrow, and now she "can't tomorrow :(" and asked if she could call me later.

I'm pretty much done with this shit. It's not worth it anymore, no matter how many times she says she's into me or how she feels about me or how much she misses me. I can't take this shit anymore.

Finished with this girl.
We're together, but she's always fucking rescheduling our dates. Everything is amazing when we are in person, but damn we can't even spend more than a few hours together at a time. We were finally going to spend a day together tomorrow, and now she "can't tomorrow :(" and asked if she could call me later.

I'm pretty much done with this shit. It's not worth it anymore, no matter how many times she says she's into me or how she feels about me or how much she misses me. I can't take this shit anymore.

Same happened to me. Some people need to learn that having a partner means re-prioritizing some things. Don't take it negatively, people like that one girl make for sucky sucky girlfriends. I know because I was one sucky boyfriend like that.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wow that's kind of direct, I've never said anything like that to her and I've known her for a year. I was thinking a bit more on subtler lines. But I really like that reply because it shifts the burden on her to escalate things further without me initiating much.

You have known her for a year, but you don't want to initiate anything? Sometimes you have to give things a push to get them started.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but during the last couple of weeks, I've had girls start messaging me out of the blue on POF. And I didn't even change anything on my profile.

Wow that's kind of direct, I've never said anything like that to her and I've known her for a year. I was thinking a bit more on subtler lines. But I really like that reply because it shifts the burden on her to escalate things further without me initiating much.

Be a man. Initiate contact

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So anyways, I go to class and the girl I talked with sat behind me 2 rows, I didn't know that coming in, she had already settled, guess I was bit later than usual.

Anyways, end of the class happens, I pick up my stuff, she's still in her place, she glances at me opens her eyes O_O very wide, then pretends to be looking at the laptop.

Was she expecting me to talk to her, why wait behind me when you're alone in the whole row lol?

Same thing happened with the other girl, she was talking on the phone, opened her eyes wide, and I just passed her and went to the bathroom, then she waited on me, but I avoided her.

I'm not getting the O_O trend, am I missing something?

Why do they open their eyes wide on the second meeting?

So anyways, I go to class and the girl I talked with sat behind me 2 rows, I didn't know that coming in, she had already settled, guess I was bit later than usual.

Anyways, end of the class happens, I pick up my stuff, she's still in her place, she glances at me opens her eyes O_O very wide, then pretends to be looking at the laptop.

Was she expecting me to talk to her, why wait behind me when you're alone in the whole row lol?

Same thing happened with the other girl, she was talking on the phone, opened her eyes wide, and I just passed her and went to the bathroom, then she waited on me, but I avoided her.

I'm not getting the O_O trend, am I missing something?

Why do they open their eyes wide on the second meeting?

Are you into any of them?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Are you into any of them?

I think both are extremely hot, I really like them, but I need to be sure what these looks are, could they be fuck you, get away?

SMT

They are checking you out. I can barely get any stares. Go ask them out

Are you sure BronzeWolf? Opening your eyes like you've seen a ghost is positive?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I think both are extremely hot, I really like them, but I need to be sure what these looks are, could they be fuck you, get away?

Wait, one waited for you? Like as soon as you left the bathroom, she ended her conversation and kind of turned toward your expectantly? If that's the case, the next time you see her, you need to strike up a conversation. She's interested.

Jesus mother Mary fucking Christ, I have to work each and everyone of my dates with funny remarks and sharp witted grit. I am not hot or otherwise attractive to girls. I learned to work my magic.

You have hot girls waiting on you and you are doubting yourself? GO FOR IT

SMT

Not any ghost... a sexy ghost

Wait, one waited for you? Like as soon as you left the bathroom, she ended her conversation and kind of turned toward your expectantly? If that's the case, the next time you see her, you need to strike up a conversation. She's interested.

Jesus mother Mary fucking Christ, I have to work each and everyone of my dates with funny remarks and sharp witted grit. I am not hot or otherwise attractive to girls. I learned to work my magic.

You have hot girls waiting on you and you are doubting yourself? GO FOR IT

Alrighty guys, if I get shot-down, I'm blaming both of you. <3

Yeah Alfarif, she ditched the phone and walked behind me as soon as I left the facilities.

I'm not the greatest at relationships as you can see, I only focus on my schoolwork, it gives me a natural high.

You have more confidence than me BronzeWolf, sure I can answer questions in class, do my homework, and look pretty, but my mouth is shut.

You've got skills in human interaction, I might as well be the friken tin man.

Yeah, the girl with the laptop gave me a death glare, the hell is her problem? Is it because I told her I wanted to be a Ph.D?
While bathroom girl gave me a wide-eyed stare and locked onto me like a homing missile, I told her the same stuff.

I blame my teachers for scolding me as a kid for talking!

Bathroom girl meeting Wednesday, wonder if she'll like my new earrings.

Heh don't pay much attention to me. I am a big nerd too. D&D? videogames? EE major doing lasers related graduate degree? Yeah I am THAT guy! But I also have many other passions that round me out: I play music, love sports, love photography and have an entrepreneur side that I didn't know I had until this year. That kind of shit is attractive to girls

What do you love to do SMT? What are your passions?

Before you talk to these girls, tell us what is it that you would love to do and have fun?

Earrings are a good opener, but I would not stay on that topic for more than 2 or 3 sentences as it can be too superficial. Better ask her something about herself

SMT

Heh don't pay much attention to me. I am a big nerd too. D&D? videogames? EE major doing lasers related graduate degree? Yeah I am THAT guy! But I also have many other passions that round me out: I play music, love sports, love photography and have an entrepreneur side that I didn't know I had until this year. That kind of shit is attractive to girls

What do you love to do SMT? What are your passions?

Before you talk to these girls, tell us what is it that you would love to do and have fun?

I love hockey, D.C. comics, Marvel Comics, Karl Wolf, I pretend to be a party guy. I even asked the girl if where she comes from was good on parties, she said she wasn't a partygoer and stays home to study lol. If only she knew... I call bullshit though, she's too hot to stay at home.

Actually, I used to work-out, and I could bench 310 pounds, then one day I pulled a muscle in my neck and have had an annoying knot ever since, interferes with my ear nerves. I want to have it fixed, but worried about the inevitable scarring. It's too hard to go back to my old routine, with my classes being early in the morning, I kind of feel zombie-ish, more sleep is needed to say something thoughtful to chicks.

Now, I'm a scrawny 6 foot guy... Can barely bench 230 pounds.

Of course, I like to play video-games, tinker with my computer, and post on NeoGaf cause the community is fun, but I'm not big on alcohol or smoking; they murdered a loved one.

I want to modify the judicial system for the benefits of the victims and the offenders with research and preaching change, I think I can do that if I influence enough students.

I'm just an embellishment of sorts, I go with the scenery.

That's my life in a nutshell, I have no idea what my persona is, but I swear, if my grades depended on it, I would ace every girl. :/

I have nobody to dare me, and my friends aren't like the ones on SimplePickup.

Right, I don't like talking about myself, I find if I get in the occasional 'me too' or explain something related to what they're saying or paraphrase them they'll just keep talking.

Again, I can't drive and like most pedestrians, I take the bus eww.

I love hockey, D.C. comics, Marvel Comics, Karl Wolf, I pretend to be a party guy. I even asked the girl if where she comes from was good on parties, she said she wasn't a partygoer and stays home to study lol. If only she knew... I call bullshit though, she's too hot to stay at home.

Actually, I used to work-out, and I could bench 310 pounds, then one day I pulled a muscle in my neck and have had an annoying knot ever since, interferes with my ear nerves. I want to have it fixed, but worried about the inevitable scarring. It's too hard to go back to my old routine, with my classes being early in the morning, I kind of feel zombie-ish, more sleep is needed.
Now, I'm a scrawny 6 foot guy... Can barely bench 230 pounds.

Of course, I like to play video-games, tinker with my computer, and post on NeoGaf cause the community is fun, but I'm not big on alcohol or smoking; they murdered a loved one.

I'm just an embellishment of sorts, I go with the scenery.

That's my life in a nutshell, I have no idea what my persona is, but I swear, if my grades depended on it, I would ace every girl. :/

I have nobody to dare me, and my friends aren't like the ones on SimplePickup.

All right I got you. No worry for "personas" you are young and you will get it eventually.

Good topics:
-Hockey is good. Ask her what her favorite sport is.
-Working out is good. Ask her if she likes to do any outdoorsy sport. College Chicks love to do that kind of shit.
-If she says she is not big on parties, that's the perfect opportunity to offer to show her around. I am not a big fan of too much alcohol on first dates though, especially if you are looking for something serious. Alcohol can have that "Oshit we kissed, but I was kind of drunk and now I feel embarrassed" effect on girls. Go get ice cream instead.
-Play the whole comic-thing low though. Gauge it, as in "I was just reading" and if she asks you what say "just some comic-books among other things" if she asks about the comic-books carry on, if not, better to leave it for later. I love comic-books and many girls do too, but it's no the greatest "coming-on" topic.

Don't be a wallflower though. Wallflowers usually don't get laid so much they faint the fuck out. No need to be a douchebag, but dressing well and being able to open your mouth and say "Hey, do you like [x activity]?" instead of just watching will get you to a much better place

I am doing a pretty shitty job of coping with this break up...
I have no one to talk about it to...
I want to be able to sleep and focus again

I know in the old thread it was said that I should take advantage of my time at college but I don't think it's going to work out for me. There's just too many factors working against me.

-I live at home with my religious parents.
-I live in the bible belt.
-I have to drive 30 to 40 minutes from my house to my university and back every week day.
-The majority of girls are already taken. Hell, some of them are already married or engaged.
-My work load hasn't eased up at all because I'm making up for all the classes I didn't take while I was at BJU.
-I can't work out on a regular basis because of said work load.
-My sleep patterns are a mess because of said work load.
-I no longer have a source of income.
-My mood swings are getting worse and my anxiety is coming back again.

Sometimes I wish I could run away from it all, move to a big city, live out of someone else's apartment, and just focus on myself, relationships, and my art... but no, that would never work out.

I swear I make this same this post every month or two but I can't help it. I'm basically going mental and there's no one here to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom