• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe Posts his PS3 impressions

KTallguy

Banned
When I want to download a new game demo on Xbox Live Marketplace, I have to go through like .... 5 screens.

Marketplace -> Games -> Game Demos -> Newest Game demos -> Download this demo.

Live Marketplace is horribly arranged, in my opinion.

The blades and such are designed to make things 'easier' by arranging them into categories based on what "mode" I'm in, but in the end, things just become more confusing.

I like it how it is on XMB:

Login, Settings, Music, Video, Games, Net, Friends

How do you get lost with this?

And yes, I can't chat with my friend while I'm playing a game, or see what he's doing, but that functionality will probably make it eventually. I still don't really see myself using it much. If I want to play a game with friends, I'll just IM them and say "get on Resistance" or something.

Dante

soundwave05 said:
The system is big and bit gaudy (it's the console Escalade, lol) but it is nice and quiet when it's on.

The controller is light and feels cheap, but the d-pad is better than the PS2 and thankfully the PSP. No rumble still sucks. The interface is ... OK. Not really that great, not really terrible. Kinda drab.

I thought the same about the controller at E3, after having extended play time at home with it, it's my fav controller. If they add rumble and thumb stick concave it would be perfect ( for me )

Deepblue

Banned
Wollan said:
I've only seen one wallpaper that is close to replacing the original one and that is the Rare theme. The rest totally butchers it all even more imo. Btw, you can change colors and use any wallpapers for the PS3 XMB.

Huh? You can use any picture as your wallpaper on the 360.

I use this with the glass edging and it looks great:

http://www.cloverstudio.co.jp/img/gallery/wallpaper/wp09_1280.jpg

Also: last time I checked you could NOT change the PS3 background (as of now)...

Deepblue

Banned
KTallguy said:
When I want to download a new game demo on Xbox Live Marketplace, I have to go through like .... 5 screens.

Marketplace -> Games -> Game Demos -> Newest Game demos -> Download this demo.

Live Marketplace is horribly arranged, in my opinion.

The blades and such are designed to make things 'easier' by arranging them into categories based on what "mode" I'm in, but in the end, things just become more confusing.

I like it how it is on XMB:

Login, Settings, Music, Video, Games, Net, Friends

How do you get lost with this?

And yes, I can't chat with my friend while I'm playing a game, or see what he's doing, but that functionality will probably make it eventually. I still don't really see myself using it much. If I want to play a game with friends, I'll just IM them and say "get on Resistance" or something.

Except you have to navigate though submenus and trees just like on the 360.

How can you get lost with XBL, Game, Media, Settings on the 360?

You make it sound like the PS3 interface is simpler, when it reality, they are pretty damn close to each other apart from aesthetics.

Deepblue

Banned
Dante said:
I thought the same about the controller at E3, after having extended play time at home with it, it's my fav controller. If they add rumble and thumb stick concave it would be perfect ( for me )

I am vehemently against those "things" that Sony put where triggers should be.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Unison said:
Those load times in Grip Shift sure as hell aren't "elegant".
I do believe you're what's wrong with gamers if someone saying some aspect of the PS3 *itself* seems elegant to them makes you then want to lash out at a game randomly.

Dante

Mario said:
This is being worked on. I'll let you know when the elegant update arrives :)

Can I just say, you guys rock. Gripshift is by far the best downloadable game i've played.

Chiggs

Grifter said:
Great inside reference, you're clearly as hip are you are witty.

I was kind of upset about this comment earlier today, but then I found one of your posts and immediately felt better about myself.

Grifter said:
Not much of a fan but I just picked up the compilation that Noel put together since I got a roadtrip coming. Haven't opened it yet but I really adore Morning Glory (the song).

Edit: Oh, and I prefer Noel on vocals.

kevm3

Some may complain about patching on console games, in that it makes it too pc-like, but I actually love the ability to do this, after hearing games such as GripShift will be getting its load times improved and the such.

shpankey said:
what's "elegant" about having to first plug in the wireless controller, then unplug it, in order for it to be wireless?

that's pretty clunky in my book

Huh? Are you talking about the PS3?

I've only had my PS3 controller plugged in to the console once. Ever. The first time I charged it, and that's it. The rest of the time, if I feel like it's getting low, I plug it into my laptop to do a quick charge while I play.

Unison

kaching said:
I do believe you're what's wrong with gamers if someone saying some aspect of the PS3 *itself* seems elegant to them makes you then want to lash out at a game randomly.

No, I lashed out at a game that Jaffe specifically mentioned.

I could have as easily lashed out at Resistance for not running in 1080p mode.

The point I was hinting at, I guess, is that to me PS3 right now does NOT feel like the upper tier "classy" alternative to the 360 that Jaffe suggests at all. It has the potential to become that, for sure, but it has a lot of interface problems right now (wtf, I can't download in the background?) and problems with the games themselves that dull the overall effect of the system.

Improved load times for Grip Shift would definitely be welcome!

Vyer

Mojovonio said:
Situation: A Sony employee claims the PS3 is a better machine than the 360.

How Sony fans see it: A Sony employee claims the PS3 is a better machine than the 360.

How Xbox Fans see it: A Sony employee claims the PS3 is a better machine than the 360.

Its like a pair or tornadoes, spinning away until they collide and make some farm girl their bitch.

I love it.

This is probably the best summary of this train wreck I've ever seen.

All we need is Reggie's Wii impressions and Moore's 360 impressions and we're done.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
no, no - you win. Load times as lengthy as 5-10 seconds have never been seen before in console games and are certainly a valid indictment of someone's opinion that a system could possibly have any elegant aspects in the wake of that.

KTallguy said:
And yes, I can't chat with my friend while I'm playing a game, or see what he's doing, but that functionality will probably make it eventually.
We've been saying the same thing about group voice chat on the 360 since launch, to no avail.

KTallguy said:
I still don't really see myself using it much. If I want to play a game with friends, I'll just IM them and say "get on Resistance" or something.
And is that somehow better/easier/more elegant than a couple of button presses from the game you're already playing?

Top Bottom