• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe Posts his PS3 impressions

shpankey

not an idiot
dark10x said:
360 solution is similar, but the plug is rather annoying (and can easily break).
huh? easily breaks? are you talking about the plug and charge kit? is this "breaking" a real issue? i've not had a problem with mine so far, and it seems quite sturdy... i don't see or feel like it has any weak areas.

theBishop

Banned
mmlemay said:
360 quick charge kit FTW. I also wish the PS3 could smartly charge the controller like the play and charge kit does (you turn off your system, but it sends a small charge to the battery until it's charged). There are a variety of options to charge your 360 batteries/battery pack, but if you want to charge your PS3 controller you have to leave your PS3 on. Even more annoying, I can't play my PS3 while the controller is charging.

If Sony just adds a fix to allow the system to shut off but still continue charging the controller I will be happy enough. I wonder if that's technically feasible???

i haven't tested it, but i've heard if you connect the controller and then turn the PS3 off, it'll continue charging.

and what do you mean you can't play while the controller is charging?

theBishop said:
i haven't tested it, but i've heard if you connect the controller and then turn the PS3 off, it'll continue charging.

Not when I tried it.

and what do you mean you can't play while the controller is charging?

You can play.

Here's a 6' Extension cable for $2. PC standard parts FTW

You shouldn't have to buy a new cable, it's pretty silly that they didn't include a few more feet of wire.

It's also absurd that they didn't include some kind of high-definition cable.

I will agree that the use of standard PC hard drives, memory cards and such on the PS3 is fantastic and very consumer friendly. Jaffe should talk about stuff like that instead of praising the integration of an interface that is poorly integrated.

shpankey said:
huh? easily breaks? are you talking about the plug and charge kit? is this "breaking" a real issue? i've not had a problem with mine so far, and it seems quite sturdy... i don't see or feel like it has any weak areas.

I dont know if it is a problem for others, but mine broke the third time I used it. It was probably my fault though for wrapping it around my 360 controller after charging it.

shpankey

not an idiot
Arde0 said:
I dont know if it is a problem for others, but mine broke the third time I used it. It was probably my fault though for wrapping it around my 360 controller after charging it.
just curious, where exactly are they breaking? i want to be sure to be more careful with mine now and if i know i can be more aware of how to prevent it

Kittonwy said:
They should have at least made the USB cable as long as the cable in the PS2 controller so I can play while lying in bed. To play my PS3 while the controller is charging I would have to get OUT of bed, which I do not like.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah, Sony tried to cut as much cost as possible. It would be nice to have a longer USB cable, but it's not that big of a deal for me since SIXAXIS holds charge for a long time and I have more than 1 SIXAXIS. If you check it's battery level occasionally, you can just plug it in when it's low and switch to another controller. The problem is, this requires gamers to purchase separate SIXAXIS controllers and that shouldn't be forced upon people. Oh well, you can just buy a longer USB cord for cheap if this is really an issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shpankey said:
Mine has been fine, but it always feels as if it will snap when pulling it off. Two friends of mine HAVE had their play and charge kits break on them and, when one of them bought another one (used - not a good idea), that cable was broken. I doubt it's all that common, as it just require a bit of care, but I still don't like how tight the clip feels.

I wish they would have used the standard usb plug.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Not when I tried it.

He is mistaken. It will not charge if the PS3 is turned off...no matter what you try. I have tried everything to get it to charge with the power off to no avail. I actually use my 360 to charge my PSP at night now because the PS3 wont charge it with the power off....stupid stupid stupid.

just curious, where exactly are they breaking? i want to be sure to be more careful with mine now and if i know i can be more aware of how to prevent it

In my case it was where the cable meets the attachment that plugs into the 360 controller...I am sure that if one were to take apart it could be fixed...but as I have a handy supply of rechargeable batteries I havent taken the time.

Arde0 said:
He is mistaken. It will not charge if the PS3 is turned off...no matter what you try. I have tried everything to get it to charge with the power off to no avail. I actually use my 360 to charge my PSP at night now because the PS3 wont charge it with the power off....stupid stupid stupid.

Multi-console future FTW. I also have used the 360 to charge the PS3 controller. Haven't tried the Wii yet.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Arde0 said:
Yeah i've tried as well and it definitely does not.

dark10x

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Multi-console future FTW. I also have used the 360 to charge the PS3 controller. Haven't tried the Wii yet.
Ha ha, I didn't even think of that, but it makes perfect sense.

That's why I was hoping all controllers would have used mini-USB plugs as well. Using a single set of cables for all controllers would be wonderful.

theBishop

Banned
Arde0 said:

btw, why do you turn your PS3 off?

railGUN

Banned
Personally, I'm not convinced yet. I can afford one, I can find one, but I can't find a good reason to buy one yet. GTHD almost had me, until the TFF wheel BS.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Do they not have a charge stand or something similar? That would seem to be a better option than sitting four feet in front of your big screen.

dark10x

theBishop said:
Are you saying you leave your PS3 powered on? Or do you simply use standby mode? Can you charge the controller in standby mode?

urk said:
Do they not have a charge stand or something similar? That would seem to be a better option than sitting four feet in front of your big screen.

Monoprice paid Sony a moneyhat to include short cables.

theBishop said:

:lol

Well, it will will get turned off a whole lot less when VF3 and Motorstorm hit.

I have actually gotten a helluva lot of use lately from my PS3 to play videos converted for the ipod on my tv. just pop the DVDR in and play....works great.

But, until Sony learns what a goddam playlist is I will NEVER use either the PS3 or PSP as a music player.

theBishop

Banned
Arde0 said:
:lol

Well, it will will get turned off a whole lot less when VF3 and Motorstorm hit.

I have actually gotten a helluva lot of use lately from my PS3 to play videos converted for the ipod on my tv. just pop the DVDR in and play....works great.

But, until Sony learns what a goddam playlist is I will NEVER use either the PS3 or PSP as a music player.

it wasn't a joke. i leave mine on when i'm not playing it.

Xellos

Jaffe likes the PS3 and that's great, but elegance? It's quiet, unlike the 360, but elegance is not a term I'd use to describe the PS3.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
How much extra would it really be?

No idea. But electricity isn't free. I would assume if it's running all year it would be something significant.

I wouldn't leave it running all the time just so the console would have less wear on it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
shpankey said:
regardless of cost, wasting energy is something we should strive to prevent in today's day and age.

Not if we are trying to cure cancer. ;)

Whatever happened to that PS3 cure cancer thing?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Well allegedly the PS3 consumes 8 times more electricity than the PS2...

Or so I heard.

Electronics consume varying amounts of electricity. It all depends on what they are doing at the moment. If the PS3 isn't doing much, it probably consumes less power, but I still would shut it off when I was done with it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shpankey said:
regardless of cost, wasting energy is something we should strive to prevent in today's day and age.
so we're all going to stop playing games, right?

walkedrightintothatone

shpankey

not an idiot
kaching said:
so we're all going to stop playing games, right?

walkedrightintothatone
:D

% we all know how important playing games is... it's what creates all the murderers in the world, therefore "balance".

Oneself

This PS3 bashing is getting so lame.. in every somewhat positive PS3 thread, every day. Jaffe's the man, he's right. PS3 is elegant.

shpankey

not an idiot
Oneself said:
This PS3 bashing is getting so lame.. in every somewhat positive PS3 thread, every day. Jaffe's the man, he's right. PS3 is elegant.
I realize there is ps3 bashing [happens to all the systems] at gaf and you're basically right, but this really just made me laugh out loud for some reason. perhaps it was the bolding at the end. :lol

M3Freak

Banned
I agree with Jaffe: the PS3 is sweeeet.

I've been able to spend a few hours with it, and so far I'm blown away:

1. It's heavy, shines like mad, and looks stunning when upright. Makes everything else in my HT weap (except for my HDTV).
2. The start up music is awesome.
3. Moving around the XMB, starting a game, quiting the game, browsing the web, playing music, and never having to restart the PS3 is brilliance, sheer and utter brilliance. I find it very convenient.
4. I tried out the Remote Play option with my new PSP - jaw drop. Can't do much with it, but it was still super cool being able to stream mp3s from the PS3, and listen to them on my PSP, anywhere in the house. Haven't tried playing and PS1 games though.
5. Since we recently got back from our holiday in Chandler, AZ, we had a compact flash card with 256 pictures on it. We had family over, ordered pizza, I popped the card into the PS3, and we had an instant slideshow (I hadn't done that until yesterday). It was great fun, and worked very well. Everyone was very impressed with the "falling pictures" slideshow too - looked sweet.
6. The power and eject buttons - droool! Holy shit - drooool. Mark my words: those seriously impressive buttons are going to end up on tons of competitor's consumer electronics products within one year.

A few things I don't like:

1. The wifi performance is SHIT. Absolute shit. I downloaded GT:HD over the wired connection in under 10 minutes, but could not complete the download over the wireless connection even after one hour. Suck ass. Should be fine for playing games online though. Still, I hope Sony improves the driver.
2. I think the PS3 is loud. It's quiter than the PS2, but I can definitely hear it. Thankfully, games and movies drown it out, so it's not a disaster.
3. I want to stand the PS3 up, and have the curved surface facing out towards the room. But, if I do that, the cables hang off the side, and destroy the look. That SUCKS. The PS3 looks much, much better upright.
4. Can't do anything while downloading. It's bearable with the wired link. But, with wireless, I'm forced to sit on my ass forever.

That's it. Haven't done too much with the PS3 yet. Played some R:FoM, wached a little bit of Monster House (BD), and goofed around with some demos.

Note: new t.v. + PS3 + PSP = massive pain. (still can't believe we did that)

Oneself

shpankey said:
I realize there is ps3 bashing [happens to all the systems] at gaf

Yeah it's like this "all of a sudden" Xbox live bashing :lol The service is as good as ever but there's a trend this week.

arne

Oneself said:
Yeah it's like this "all of a sudden" Xbox live bashing :lol The service is as good as ever but there's a trend this week.

CES has just gotten all the torches and pitchforks out on all sides it seems like.

CALM DOWN PEOPLES!

edit: actually I'm frustrated because I want to opine in this thread, but it's going to be colored by my tag and what's going on. oh well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
arne said:
edit: actually I'm frustrated because I want to opine in this thread, but it's going to be colored by my tag and what's going on. oh well.
********** never lets that stop him. (Edit: lol, Ozy is censored)

I kind of disagree on how bad the negativity is toward the PS3. Given how much angst there was in the past 6-8 months over $600 and Sony arrogance I'd have expected the PS3 to be trolled a lot harder than it has been here.

arne

kaching said:
********** never lets that stop him. (Edit: lol, Ozy is censored)

I kind of disagree on how bad the negativity is toward the PS3. Given how much angst there was in the past 6-8 months over $600 and Sony arrogance I'd have expected the PS3 to be trolled a lot harder than it has been here.

ha. there you go. I don't want my name to be censored. :p

kaching said:

The Sony/PS3 hating and trolling has been pretty bad. For like 2 weeks, I couldn't even visit GAF without being sickened by the overwhelming (and uncontrolled) amount of trolling around here. But then it seemed to have died down a bit once people got their hands on a PS3, played Resistance, and downloaded all the cool stuff on PSN. There is still lots of hatred and trolling, but it's definitely died down a lot, helped by mods.

LJ11

I for one would love to hear your impressions Arne. People on this board are going to hate regardless so no need to worry about that.

Oneself said:

It's elegant/beautiful/sexy, but it's also big, heavy, and very prone to scratches. The worst part is, it attracts dust and fingerprints like crazy.

KTallguy

Banned
When my controller is low on batteries, I either:

A. Plug it into my computer and charge it.
B. Plug it into my PS3 and charge while listening to music.

But that previous comment about PS3 not understanding playlists is SPOT ON ! PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

Dante

KTallguy said:
When my controller is low on batteries, I either:

A. Plug it into my computer and charge it.
B. Plug it into my PS3 and charge while listening to music.

But that previous comment about PS3 not understanding playlists is SPOT ON ! PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

Isn't the next firmware update supposed to be early 07? Isn't this one supposed to be a biggie?

SuperSonic1305 said:
Geez people really hate when someone praises the PS3.

Dude, even people who LOVE Sony hardware have agreed that the XMB is just not up to par with the 360 dash yet, especially when it comes to integration.

Admitted Sony fans (not some biased fanboy, just a reasonable fan) like dark10x are being way more honest than Jaffe when they say "Now, if they can just improve its functionality and integration, it will kick serious ass."

Jaffe needs to spend more time worrying about his game than taking digs at the competition, and he at least needs to be accurate and objective.

Correcting nonsense isn't hating on praise. There's a ton of things to praise the PS3 on, but not all praise is based in reality.

Hopefully most of the shortcomings will be corrected in time. The majority probably can be.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Crackerman16 said:
It's elegant/beautiful/sexy, but it's also big, heavy, and very prone to scratches. The worst part is, it attracts dust and fingerprints like crazy.

I like dusting it. It's therapeutic.

Top Bottom