• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe Posts his PS3 impressions

RE: Plugging in the PS3 controller...

...The first time you use it.

I'm not saying there aren't clunky things about the PS3 (I agree, the XMB looks better than it works)-- but this is a non issue that keeps getting repeated in ways that make it sound like a chore.

I only plug my PS3 controllers in to charge them. And that doesn't even have to be to the PS3, it could be any USB port with power. They were initalized to the system long, long ago.

pswii60

shpankey said:
what's "elegant" about having to first plug in the wireless controller, then unplug it, in order for it to be wireless?

that's pretty clunky in my book

Do you have to do that every time or just the first time?

theBishop

Banned
pswii60 said:
Do you have to do that every time or just the first time?

The first time you connect a controller to a new system, you need to sync it with USB.

And when you do a firmware update, you have to connect the controller.

I just hate that the browser text (especially this forum) is so ****ing small on my 1080p Samsung. I have to take the display down to 720p just so I don't have to press my face up against the screen to read it. @_@

FWIW, I think the PS3 shoudl be called "superfically elegant" because despite the mostly-cosmetic things I mentioned, there's a lot that isn't elegant. Notably, the options-setting for just about anything, and the online stuff.

Dante

Raven1907 said:
Money Hats galore for the most over rated designer around.

Bravo! Bravo! or should that be Bravia.

Why do you say he's over-rated? God of War ( his last game was universally crtically acclaimed )

LJ11

I've spent the last 3 hours with my new PS3 :) and I totally understand what Jaffe is talking about. It just feels so much different than my 360. I love the XMB menu, the PSN store, everything feels so smooth. I don't know if I'm just giddy over getting a new toy, but I definitely understand some of his comments.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheJollyCorner said:
I just hate that the browser text (especially this forum) is so ****ing small on my 1080p Samsung. I have to take the display down to 720p just so I don't have to press my face up against the screen to read it. @_@
It's simply acting like a PC at that point, which is a GOOD thing. If I'm displaying at 1080p resolution, I want fonts designed to take advantage of that.

Heck, even on my 720p plasma, 1080i (which uses 1080p size fonts) is perfectly legible from 8ft away. Not as sharp as a 1080p panel, but still perfectly acceptable.

LJ11 said:
I've spent the last 3 hours with my new PS3 :) and I totally understand what Jaffe is talking about. It just feels so much different than my 360. I love the XMB menu, the PSN store, everything feels so smooth. I don't know if I'm just giddy over getting a new toy, but I definitely understand some of his comments.

I also have a PS3 and I think it's sexy as hell.

But it's retarded and clunky that I can't get to the XMB from everywhere, that I can't see my friend's list from everywhere, and that voice chat isn't standard. It feels like a horrible step backwards...all coated in a beautiful gloss.

Fortunately, they can fix this, but nobody should gush over this interface if they really understand how it can be.

(unfortunately, voice chat will probably never be widely adopted by PS3 users, but that's another whole discussion)

Carlisle

Elios83 said:
LOL ok David now where's my GOW3?:lol :lol

Kittonwy said:
eh, it's like dude get back to work on GoW3 already!!!
angry.gif

krypt0nian said:
God of War 3 info/screenies/anything stat!

Holy crap, give the guy a break XD

GoW2 isn't even out yet and already we're demanding more. :lol

(Not that I can't see why, what with GoW being so amazing, but sheesh ^^)

Ignatz Mouse said:
FWIW, I think the PS3 shoudl be called "superfically elegant" because despite the mostly-cosmetic things I mentioned, there's a lot that isn't elegant. Notably, the options-setting for just about anything, and the online stuff.

agree total. although i disagree with some of your points, i'd say they are largely subjective. I think a lot of what people have sited about the 360 UI as negatives has a lot to do with them trying to cross develop it for SDTV's/smaller sets to avoid Dead Rising-esque complaints.

as for the guy who sited PC-accesories, aren't PC accesories notorious for being the exact opposite of elegant?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
theBishop said:
near-silent operation, slick glossy box, rechargeable controllers, built-in power supply, PC-standard peripherals, slot-loading drive, elegant "soothing" UI, built-in wireless, etc.

360, by comparison is noisy, garish, and a bit clunky.

(speaking purely of aesthetics/design. you don't have to come back at me about PS3's various issues, i'm aware.)

I'll give you on the silent operation and the box, but having to plug the controllers in to recharge them ain't slick at all. Having the power supply built in does nothing for me. I couldn't care less. UI is subjective.

Built in wireless is good. Not sure if I prefer a slot loading drive or not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
shpankey said:
what's "elegant" about having to first plug in the wireless controller, then unplug it, in order for it to be wireless?

that's pretty clunky in my book

You do this everytime you turn on your PS3?

Dante

Dr_Cogent said:
I'll give you on the silent operation and the box, but having to plug the controllers in to recharge them ain't slick at all. Having the power supply built in does nothing for me. I couldn't care less. UI is subjective.

Built in wireless is good. Not sure if I prefer a slot loading drive or not.

How the heck else would you recharge the battery?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dante said:
How the heck else would you recharge the battery?

**** recharging the battery. I would rather slap in fresh ones or recharged ones and continue on.

The new controller should have had removable batteries.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Is it Jaffe's name or just the mere mention of the PS3 that sends out the Troll signal?

Jesus. He likes the PS3. Shock. It is one sexy bitch.

LJ11

beermonkey@tehbias said:

But it's retarded and clunky that I can't get to the XMB from everywhere, that I can't see my friend's list from everywhere, and that voice chat isn't standard. It feels like a horrible step backwards...all coated in a beautiful gloss.

Fortunately, they can fix this, but nobody should gush over this interface if they really understand how it can be.

(unfortunately, voice chat will probably never be widely adopted by PS3 users, but that's another whole discussion)

Those are more multi-player complaints, and considering I've focused primarily on the single player aspects of the console, I can see how these issues may pose a problem the more time I spend with the console.

gth

Neo Member
Future said:
Agree completely. Xbox360 and Wii interfaces made me want to play around with stuff and see whats there.

With a good UI there is no need to "see whats there". You should know whats behind a menu item simply by looking at it. No exploring.

theBishop

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Supposedly, at the threespeech-sponsored event at "3rooms", Phil Harrison said the march update would contain the following features:

- Multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the XMB and its features/gameplay)
- New XMB display options
- New animations for audio playback
- New photo album options
- PlayStation Store auto [download] resume
- PSP remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your PS3's content anywhere that has a internet connection)

Hopefully "Multitasking" is the feature we're looking for

Dante

Dr_Cogent said:
**** recharging the battery. I would rather slap in fresh ones or recharged ones and continue on.

Fair enough :)

I'm the exact opposite. I never have batteries when i need them, I always end up snatching them from another device.

theBishop

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

i seriously can't believe there's people who feel this way.

theBishop said:
Supposedly, at the threespeech-sponsored event at "3rooms", Phil Harrison said the march update would contain the following features:

- Multi-tasking (included will be audio/video conferencing while browsing the XMB and its features/gameplay)
- New XMB display options
- New animations for audio playback
- New photo album options
- PlayStation Store auto [download] resume
- PSP remote play advanced access option (so that you can have access to your PS3's content anywhere that has a internet connection)

Hopefully "Multitasking" is the feature we're looking for

Like I said, they can fix it. And I have little doubt that they will. Because of that, I don't normally go around harping about it. I can be patient. But I will speak up if some Sony houseboy tries to tell us how much better it is.

Even the voicechat thing can be reasonably addressed if they make it a TCR for multiplayer games once there are plenty of mature development libraries out there.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Dante said:

I'm the exact opposite. I never have batteries when i need them, I always end up snatching them from another device.

I could understand that then. I have shit tons of AAs on me at all times. Costco has great prices on batteries.

Rechargeable batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time too. I hate that.

theBishop said:
i seriously can't believe there's people who feel this way.

And I seriously can't stand being wired to the console now that I have wireless controllers.

Dr_Cogent said:

That is how its done with the 360 isnt it?

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:

I like rechargeable controller (especially when I can just plug it in when the juice runs out instead of like "holy smurf do I have any new batteries lying around?), that said I would like to be able to charge the controller when I'm not using it without having the console on.

Twix

GAF: PS3 SUCKS, horrible PS2 emluation, no 720p for blu-ray, no rumble...

Sony: oh shit ! we need to brainwash these goddamn GAFers, but first we’ve got to find someone who has a big influence on them !

David Jaffe:

1168288584_david.jpg

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Dr_Cogent said:

you're kidding right? just plug it in when youre not playing and forget about it. how easier can it get? i think i just took the bait...

Plugging in controllers to recharge them is very elagant. May not be everybody's cup of tea, but having to swap in new batteries isn't elegant at all.

Anyway, I can't believe people are nitpicking somebody's impressions over a single word, as ifit were an insult to them.

Dante

Kittonwy said:
I like rechargeable controller (especially when I can just plug it in when the juice runs out instead of like "holy smurf do I have any new batteries lying around?), that said I would like to be able to charge the controller when I'm not using it without having the console on.

Like someone said above, I think you can just plug it in to your PC via the USB to charge it, If that's the case, that's how I'll be charging mine.

dark10x

Ignatz Mouse said:
Plugging in controllers to recharge them is very elagant. May not be everybody's cup of tea, but having to swap in new batteries isn't elegant at all.

Anyway, I can't believe people are nitpicking somebody's impressions over a single word, as ifit were an insult to them.
I agree. It's exactly what I had dreamed of years ago (USB or firewire port on controller with cable for charging). It's EXACTLY what I had wanted. It's a very elegant solution.

360 solution is similar, but the plug is rather annoying (and can easily break). I couldn't care less about removing the battery, to be honest.

Both work perfectly well, though, and I only wish Nintendo would offer something similar for the Wii. Once I do obtain a Wii, I know that the battery thing will only end up driving me crazy...

Like someone said above, I think you can just plug it in to your PC via the USB to charge it, If that's the case, that's how I'll be charging mine.
Exactly. PC recharging works fine as well. I have PCs on all the time throughout my place, so I can easily recharge at any time.

theBishop

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
And I seriously can't stand being wired to the console now that I have wireless controllers.

I've had the system since launch. I've never played anything while connected with USB.

Maybe Sony should put solar panels on the controllers, so you don't have to charge them?

Ignatz Mouse said:

I can't even see my goddamned TV if tethered to the console with that tiny cable! Charge by cable is OK but for the love of all that is holy give me a freakin' man-sized cable.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:

I guess I CAN do that since my PC is right next to my TV stand, but I'm pretty lazy (too lazy to unplug the USB cable from my PS3... yes, THAT lazy). :p

360 quick charge kit FTW. I also wish the PS3 could smartly charge the controller like the play and charge kit does (you turn off your system, but it sends a small charge to the battery until it's charged). There are a variety of options to charge your 360 batteries/battery pack, but if you want to charge your PS3 controller you have to leave your PS3 on. Even more annoying, I can't play my PS3 while the controller is charging.

If Sony just adds a fix to allow the system to shut off but still continue charging the controller I will be happy enough. I wonder if that's technically feasible???

Dr_Cogent

Banned
theBishop said:
I've had the system since launch. I've never played anything while connected with USB.

Maybe Sony should put solar panels on the controllers, so you don't have to charge them?

Sony would have to install a sun in my basement then.

dark10x

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I can't even see my goddamned TV if tethered to the console with that tiny cable! Charge by cable is OK but for the love of all that is holy give me a freakin' man-sized cable.
Oh yes, I do agree with that.

I have a long USB extension cable right there (used for the PC beneath my TV), so I can easily extend it out, but the included cable is WAY too short.

but if you want to charge your PS3 controller you have to leave your PS3 on
Do you not own a PC?

beermonkey@tehbias said:

:lol

A Non-issue for me (1- I recharge when not playing, 2- My system is behind me, so cable length does not matter, 3- I have a zillion USB cables lying around already) but yeah, that's one freakishly short cable they put in there.

Dante

dark10x said:
Oh yes, I do agree with that.

I have a long USB extension cable right there (used for the PC beneath my TV), so I can easily extend it out, but the included cable is WAY too short.

Do you not own a PC?

Oh crap i didn't even think of that, I have a pretty long one that came with my camera.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
:lol

A Non-issue for me (1- I recharge when not playing, 2- My system is behind me, so cable length does not matter, 3- I have a zillion USB cables lying around already) but yeah, that's one freakishly short cable they put in there.

They should have at least made the USB cable as long as the cable in the PS2 controller so I can play while lying in bed. To play my PS3 while the controller is charging I would have to get OUT of bed, which I do not like.
Indifferent2.gif

Since the SIXAXIS award thread was closed due to a lot of fanboy trolling and I wrote this whole thing up, before it got locked, I'll post my thoughts here since it's somewhat related...

If PS3 launched with a similar innovative game similar to that of Wiisports, demoing the ability of SIXAXIS, then this may be a different story. But Sony seemed to have just tacked on the motion-sensing ability of SIXAXIS, without focusing on what it can/should really do, leaving developers the responsibility of showing it off at launch (which was almost non-existent).

I believe that SIXAXIS can do what Wiimote does, but using it in that fashion wouldn't feel right and there's no strap. I can imagine swinging SIXAXIS around for most Wiisport mini-games. However, it wasn't made for that type of functionality, since it uses the tried and true (and very old) dual-shock design. I guess after Sony got slammed when they first showed the "boomerang" controller, they decided it was best to play safe and go with the traditional PS controller design again.

I also think that SIXAXIS' Bluetooth reception is better than that of the Wiimote's sensor bar. That WIRED sensor bar is quite annoying, as you have to position it just right, IN FRONT of where you're going to be using the Wiimote. Unlike Bluetooth, where you can be anywhere in the vicinity of the PS3 and it'll register.

Too bad there's still that glitch where the connection between SIXAXIS and PS3 get cut off and it won't respond for 3-5 seconds. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's extremely annoying and can critically mess up gameplay. If Sony fixes this issue and start releasing fun/great games (either 1st or 3rd party) that can make great use of SIXAXIS's motion-sensing ability, then they really would deserve this award. But the question is, when these games will come out and if they'll be able to take steam out of the Wiimote.

theBishop

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Here's a 6' Extension cable for $2. PC standard parts FTW

mmlemay said:
Even more annoying, I can't play my PS3 while the controller is charging.

Why not? I do whenever my power is getting low, if I've forgotten to charge it for a while. If it's a matter of cable length, then isn't a USB extantion cable (or long cable) a lot cheaper than the quick-charge kit you refer to?

Top Bottom