• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn Of War announcement for Tomorrow teased on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinskugga

Yeah go back to DoW - DC formula pls!

Give me a good old RTS with a campaign like DC and throw in all the main races. And i would be really pleased.

It's funny how divided opinions are on base building vs squad game play. I prefer the squad but also liked the base building. They did both very well so it's kinda win win.

I'd be happy either way but I'd definitely prefer the squad model. DoW1 is still a fantastic game but I absolutely loved DoW2.

Jinaar

A game play trailer would be epic if it dropped. If anything, more modes like Last Stand and I'm set for years to come.

It's funny how divided opinions are on base building vs squad game play. I prefer the squad but also liked the base building. They did both very well so it's kinda win win.

I prefer the squad based game much more and dawn of war 1's base building. Also infield reinforcement is a huge joke. Like seriously, it is a terrible mechanic.

IpKaiFung

I don't remember any issues with DoW2 or Space Marine at launch?

There were so many issues with tyranids at launch there was no point playing any other faction until about a year later. Along with the game eating all your system ram after a few multiplayer games. At launch you could only play 1v1 or 3v3, there was no 2v2 until Chaos Rising was released. No customizable hot keys, this got added later by altering a .lua file.

CoH2 was dreadful on launch, an offensive borderline racist main campaign. In game leader boards were missing at launch and were only just added a few months ago. Pay to win commanders. The game also eating your system memory after a few multiplayer games. You still cant customize your hotkeys and they didn't even add a .lua hack yet.

I've personally been burnt by Relic too many times in the past, I'm only going to get their games when they are on sale.

Twinduct

I'd honestly want more of an evolution of what we got in DoW2 than go back to DoW1. Vanilla RTS Feels so out of place now a days.

Going to cry if they try and push this shit into esports territory :<

Vitor711

I'd honestly want more of an evolution of what we got in DoW2 than go back to DoW1. Vanilla RTS Feels so out of place now a days.

Going to cry if they try and push this shit into esports territory :<

Eh, I adored DoW 1 and couldn't stand DoW2, even if it felt closer to the actual source material.

I just loved controlling huge armies of tanks and dreadnoughts across a battlefield.

soheil

Its Definitely Down Of War 3 .Sega Europe registered for E3 a strategy game.By that time Warhammer Total War will be released.So that E3 registered game is Down Of War 3.

We will see more information at E3 and I think that game will be released before march 2017 because it is been under development for 3 years now.

Twinduct

Eh, I adored DoW 1 and couldn't stand DoW2, even if it felt closer to the actual source material.

I just loved controlling huge armies of tanks and dreadnoughts across a battlefield.

Yeah look I loved the first one too. TBH Just happy if it's coming in either format.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Did you ever play multiplayer or skirmish in DA2? You control a pretty sizable force there.

Campaign was a whole other ball of wax though.

Tworak

That depends.
multiplats are very rarely good, which turns into not even once when it's an rts. it will be shit tier. imo.

sorry dude.
I don't see why broadening the audience would destroy your excitement if the PC version stays at the center of the dev process (as it should with a rts game).
it will probably sell more as a multiplat, but most likely not to me. that's all.

I don't see why broadening the audience would destroy your excitement if the PC version stays at the center of the dev process (as it should with a rts game).

don't make an rts then

i won't play an rts developed with a pad in mind

(unless they revolutionize the entire genre)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
i wonder if they're going multiplatform (aka console) with this one
717.jpg

Man this makes me want to play through the previous games again. Time to check HD space!

don't make an rts then

i won't play an rts developed with a pad in mind

(unless they revolutionize the entire genre)

We have seen other games developed with PC in mind and coming to console afterwards. Diablo 3 and Tropico 5 did not suffer from the transitions. I don't see why going that way with DoW3 would be such a problem.

And never have I said that they should be developped with a pad in mind nor should they. And if your main audience is PC, there is a very low probability that they would do that.

IpKaiFung

We have seen other games developed with PC in mind and coming to console afterwards. Diablo 3 and Tropico 5 did not suffer from the transitions. I don't see why going that way with DoW3 would be such a problem.

Relic can barely develop a game for one format (just look at CoH2) I doubt they would be able to pull off a multi plat RTS with much competency.

Yesssssssss.

Dawn of War 2 (post-There is Only War update, though I loved it even pre-release beta) is one of my top ten favorite videogames.

ISee

It's about damn time to board the heresy hype train folks. Choo Choo next station The Maelstrom.

train15tj2t.jpg

IpKaiFung

Please no Unity...
The devs were complaining about how creaky their proprietary essence engine was getting.

Doing a bit of searching about and they did many presentations about unity as well as hosting unity programming days at their studio.

I'd strongly assume that the next game will use unity instead of the essence engine but I'm no insider, it's purely based on some research I've done.

Yeah, meant more the studio. Relic lost all, if not most, of their alumni.
Then again the direction DoW3 was going, according to interviews, was a shitty F2P Moba.

So here's to hoping it's a nice mix of DoW1 & 2 RTS instead of yet another moba trashy entry.

CoH2 is nothing like MOBA and it is the evolution of their RTS formula which is shared between CoH and DoW. I think that DoW2 MOBA like heroes aren't going to be present in the next installment of DoW. DoW2 was so freaking clunky compared to real MOBAs. CoH2 is a massive improvement over the CoH, although tanks aren't as obedient and responsive as LoL champions.

Back in the THQ days, a F2P version of CoH didn't work at all.

CoH2 as a game is quite popular on Steam, the DoW2 community has moved to the Elite mod. Relic didn't lost anything, they just picked some industry trends (or perhaps pressured into them) and it didn't work out.

Relic would be fools to repeat their mistakes and attempt a freemium F2P or MOBA-like Warhammer game.

AlStrong

Relic can barely develop a game for one format (just look at CoH2) I doubt they would be able to pull off a multi plat RTS with much competency.

Hypothetically speaking, and I'm just chiming in as someone who hasn't played the first game, wouldn't it be feasible to translate DoW2 (only played campaign) to a gamepad scheme of sorts? (serious question) It's been a while since I've played, but my impression was that you only had command of a few units.

Edit: I guess first game had more to do with bases, so I guess it depends on where they want to go.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
CoH2 is nothing like MOBA and it is the evolution of their RTS formula which is shared between CoH and DoW. I think that DoW2 MOBA like heroes aren't going to be present in the next installment of DoW. DoW2 was so freaking clunky compared to real MOBAs. CoH2 is a massive improvement over the CoH, although tanks aren't as obedient and responsive as LoL champions.

CoH2 as a game is quite popular on Steam, the DoW2 community has moved to the Elite mod. Relic didn't lost anything, they just picked some industry trends (or perhaps pressured into them) and it didn't work out.

Relic would be fools to repeat their mistakes and attempt a freemium F2P or MOBA-like Warhammer game.

I thought the F2P version was done by a Chinese company?

I am more of a Base Building fan.

I did miss that also.

IpKaiFung

Hypothetically speaking, and I'm just chiming in as someone who hasn't played the first game, wouldn't it be feasible to translate DoW2 (only played campaign) to a gamepad scheme of sorts? (serious question) It's been a while since I've played, but my impression was that you only had command of a few units.

Edit: I guess first game had more to do with bases, so I guess it depends on where they want to go.

It's not about if the game is feasible on a pad, I don't doubt that you can have a successful RTS game that uses a pad as a control scheme (pikmin isnt a bad example)

What concerns me is that Relic have had a tough time getting CoH2 polished since it released in June 2013, its getting there slowly but that game is only on one format. I don't think they can develop possibly two versions of the same game simultaneously without outsourcing.

Hypothetically speaking, and I'm just chiming in as someone who hasn't played the first game, wouldn't it be feasible to translate DoW2 to a gamepad scheme of sorts? (serious question) It's been a while since I've played, but my impression was that you only had command of a few units.

Edit: I guess first game was more with bases, so I guess it depends on where they want to go.

No, DoW2 combines a LoL-like unit micro on the 5-12 units scale. Every soldier must be moved into the cover, every tank must be position correctly, every hero must move around the battlefield and use abilities.

Perhaps the hero-only Last Stand game mode could be played with the controller, because you only get a MOBA style unit then. But for the main RTS mode with multiple units and multiple events on the map, you had to have a pretty good APM with mouse/keyboard to fight on two fronts.

DoW2 is one of those games that can only be played with mouse and keyboard. You might get away with the Ashes of Singularity or another less micro intensive RTS game.

Dawn of War 2 was okay but it did come off as incredibly disappointing without the advanced base building and scaled down forces. The 40k universe is about colossal armies, waves of vehicles, and intense destruction. Tiny squads of space marines might work for that faction but for ones like the Imperial Guard or Tyrannids it doesn't make sense.

Olengie

Dawn of War 2 was okay but it did come off as incredibly disappointing without the advanced base building and scaled down forces. The 40k universe is about colossal armies, waves of vehicles, and intense destruction. Tiny squads of space marines might work for that faction but for ones like the Imperial Guard or Tyrannids it doesn't make sense.

I wanted colossal battles too. Not just a few squads having it out. I wanted to see a seemingly infinite flow of Imperial Guard marching to their deaths as they fought against the enemies of the Imperium. Or a bunch of Space Marines holding the lines

Akronis

Just take everything from DoW1 and add more. Fancy everything up too.

That's what I want. Squads + base building please.

Finally.

Its about time to purge some HERESYYYY !

Just make a DOW1 with high quality gfx/assets and base building.

A nice compeling SP campaign and im all set for 59$

Twinduct

SP also kind of fell off the rails in CoH2 though. To be fair my judgement would be pretty skewed as I honestly only played MP via lan and with a closed group of friends, was never into competitive play so really couldn't get into CoH2 as a package.

Didn't most of the relic team jump ship when THQ's issue start forming Blackbird Interactive?

Caustically optimistic that tomorrow brings good news

I wanted colossal battles too. Not just a few squads having it out. I wanted to see a seemingly infinite flow of Imperial Guard marching to their deaths as they fought against the enemies of the Imperium. Or a bunch of Space Marines holding the lines

Do you just want to watch the computer simulation of battle, or do you actually have a competitive Starcraft player's skills to manage them? I have 400 hours of CoH2 and I still fail to micro every unit correctly. Even if you multiply every soldier and tank by two, you are making a game much more difficult than 6 infantry squads, hero and a few vehicles.

If you make huge battalions of marines and tanks, you are going to have less and less control of your units. Eventually, you will need to adapt Ashes of the Singularity approach of groups units into mixed squads because nobody can micro 50 units individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom