• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
LSvNKMO.gif

sq2n3PJ.gif

EOHalvV.gif

duckroll

Respectfully, strongly disagree. The Doomsday trailer for BvS was his weakest and it's not close.

Okay maybe I forgot that one LOL. But like, debut trailer for a Snyder film? This has to be down there as one of the worst. There's no singular trailer narrative here. One thing his trailers always had, which also feeds the "his trailers are better than his movies" meme, is how they felt like mini-films in 2-3 minutes, and there's this REALLY strong narrative tone. Here it's like some random blockbuster.

IconGrist

Okay maybe I forgot that one LOL. But like, debut trailer for a Snyder film? This has to be down there as one of the worst. There's no singular trailer narrative here. One thing his trailers always had, which also feeds the "his trailers are better than his movies" meme, is how they felt like mini-films in 2-3 minutes, and there's this REALLY strong narrative tone. Here it's like some random blockbuster.

Well, haven't we all been pretty much told that Snyder's vision is no longer at play here?

I think the narrative is there, though maybe not refined.

Threat is coming, we need help/the others, introduce the others, show action. I got the gist of the movie, without having the entire thing shown (which was a problem for some people, particularly with the Doomsday trailer).

EDIT: Plus, you're probably not getting your average Snyder trailer. Seeing as this isn't your average Snyder movie. Hell, nothing about this ad campaign has looked like his other DC work.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think we will see that narrative duck is talking about in the second trailer, where we'll see Steppenwolf and Supes, though I'm hoping they don't show Supes atleast.

a916

I think the narrative is there, though maybe not refined.

Threat is coming, we need help/the others, introduce the others, show action. I got the gist of the movie, without having the entire thing shown (which was a problem for some people, particularly with the Doomsday trailer).

EDIT: Plus, you're probably not getting your average Snyder trailer. Seeing as this isn't your average Snyder movie. Hell, nothing about this ad campaign has looked like his other DC work.

Yeah just keep doing that. Really no need to do what they did for Doomsday

duckroll

Well, haven't we all been pretty much told that Snyder's vision is no longer at play here?

I sure hope that's not true. That's the one thing that's actually interesting about these movies. Without Snyder's "vision" or whatever we want to call it, Suicide Squad came out.

Penguin

I think we'll see an overcorrection with this marketing, where folks thought BvS ruined too much of the movie so I suspect we won't get a heavy story trailer until like Comic Con if not late Sept.

a916

I sure hope that's not true. That's the one thing that's actually interesting about these movies. Without Snyder's "vision" or whatever we want to call it, Suicide Squad came out.

Like the Doomsday trailer, it just looks like he didn't cut the trailer.

duckroll

I think we'll see an overcorrection with this marketing, where folks thought BvS ruined too much of the movie so I suspect we won't get a heavy story trailer until like Comic Con if not late Sept.

It's not even about a "story" trailer, if that makes sense. But rather, something that ties the entire trailer itself together. I've always felt that was the coolest thing about pre-release stuff from Snyder films. His trailers have a complete internal message, whether or not that message is accurately representative of the actual film (lol). Here it's just a bunch of cool scenes and lots of mix and match. That's not the sort of Snyder trailer I'm accustomed to when it comes to the first official trailer of a big movie he's doing.

C'mon I can't be the only one right?

Like the Doomsday trailer, it just looks like he didn't cut the trailer.

There's a reason I don't even remember the Doomsday one until someone mentioned it!

Ninjimbo

That might come later. Like BvS's Comic Con trailer. I think this trailer for the most part is just to get the thirsty fans out there excited. It sure as hell got me excited. Seeing these characters I grew up with in single movie looking awesome is pretty much all I need right now.

But yeah, I know what you're talking about it not being a clean story trailer. It jumps around a lot to give you the scope of the film instead of weaving the narrative.

Dead

well not really...yet
It's not even about a "story" trailer, if that makes sense. But rather, something that ties the entire trailer itself together. I've always felt that was the coolest thing about pre-release stuff from Snyder films. His trailers have a complete internal message, whether or not that message is accurately representative of the actual film (lol). Here it's just a bunch of cool scenes and lots of mix and match. That's not the sort of Snyder trailer I'm accustomed to when it comes to the first official trailer of a big movie he's doing.

There's a reason I don't even remember the Doomsday one until someone mentioned it!
No you're right

Just look at the comic-con BvS reveal trailer as well as the first official trailer and your point is proven.

The JL trailer has tons of cool shit and I want to see it, but it's definitely not a Snyder trailer like we usually get.

jackdoe

They were going for character vignettes to start with, Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash, Batman, but then lost interest when they were about to get to Wonder Woman and soon became a bunch of quick cuts to cool stuff from the movie. You are absolutely correct that the trailer lacks focus. But what's shown is pretty cool stuff, regardless.

IconGrist

Plus you don't want to shit on Wonder Woman. People still have to be excited for that movie before really getting into the meat of Justice League.

J_Viper

Uhh why is it a surprise that JL looks like a mindless blockbuster? That's exactly what it should be.

Surely no one goes into an Avengers flick expecting a deep story, that wanna see the action, I don't see why JL should be any different.

jackdoe

Uhh why is it a surprise that JL looks like a mindless blockbuster? That's exactly what it should be.

Surely no one goes into an Avengers flick expecting a deep story, that wanna see the action, I don't see why JL should be any different.
You actually want focus in a movie. It's the difference between the first Avengers movie and Age of Ultron.

I have to say the only thing I missed from the trailer was an orchestra piece, that always elevates a trailer.

With that being said, This might be the first superhero trailer with a Beatles song!

IconGrist

You actually want focus in a movie. It's the difference between the first Avengers movie and Age of Ultron.

Yea, but we're talking about the trailer here. Not the movie. I don't see any difference between this and other ensemble superhero movie trailers. Does anyone even know based on trailers alone what GotG is about?

jackdoe

Yea, but we're talking about the trailer here. Not the movie. I don't see any difference between this and other ensemble superhero movie trailers. Does anyone even know based on trailers alone what GotG is about?
I agree, but I was responding to his claim that mindless movies are fine.

Ninjimbo

I think the trailer is perfect for setting up the hype. Like, it's telling me: "look at all the cool shit that is going down in November. Enjoy!"

I think later on we'll get that trailer that says: "This is a Justice League movie."

Snyder and WB are holding a lot of things back. This will do for now.

You are right Duckroll. It has a different vibe.

No you're right

Just look at the comic-con BvS reveal trailer as well as the first official trailer and your point is proven.

The JL trailer has tons of cool shit and I want to see it, but it's definitely not a Snyder trailer like we usually get.

Snyder mentioned that the marketing team was handling the trailers. Maybe the same guys that handled SS marketing?

I don't think it was the strongest trailer, but it was good.

My one fear wasn't exactly squashed and that was it's obvious most of this film was shot in front of a green screen.

J_Viper

I agree, but I was responding to his claim that mindless movies are fine.

I think they certainly can be.

The reason AoU is a failure isn't because of it's lack of focus, it's a failure because it's worse than the first movie in every department but cinematography.

The first Avengers movie doesn't have a complex story either. Loki brings aliens to Earth, the Avengers stop him. It works because the characters are strong and the action is exciting, not the plot.

Swap Loki for Steppenwolf and JL for the Avengers, and that's exactly what this is. Let's just hope for a solid script here.

I really liked the banter between the League in trailer. I feared the worst from the Comic-Con teaser, but the scene between Battfleck, Flash, and Conan all worked for me.

"I'm rich."

Vyer

i like the loganish, loboish vibe they're going with for Aquaman. I think I saw someone in OT call it 'overcompensation' but honestly you're having to counter a ridiculous caricature that's existed for decades so I think you've got to be rather forceful with it.

Busty

Banned

This is an excellent point. I wonder if what we're seeing here is more of an announcement trailer given that Wonder Woman should be the sole 'narrative' that WB are trying to sell at the moment.

You don't want to get into a Wang Computers scenario where WB are basically saying "If you think WW looks good you should see what we're doing for Justice League!!!" thus totally putting WW into the shade comparatively speaking.

The SS announcement trailer from ComicCon was excellent (genuinely one of the best trailers in the last five years) but gave nothing away about the plot. I feel like that's what is happening here.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
As I said in the other thread, this looks like a "safe" trailer. It's good, but it didn't blow me away. There's nothing too cheeseball or dumb in it, which is great. Glad they're showing restraint and holding back on the story and Superman reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom