• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Action comics continues to be a blast. Honestly, it's not super plot heavy but man can Jurgens plot out a fight. Lots of character moments in it too. Feels old school and awesome.

And Superwoman #1 just blew me away, so much story, great characterization, and one hell of an ending. Is this one a monthly?

BlizzKrut

Banned
Only the DC Rebirth Omnibus so far. It collects all the Rebirth #1 issues as well as the big DC Rebirth #1 by Geoff Johns. For it's current marked down price right now on Amazon it's kind of a steal given it's a hardcover and how many #1s there are and if you've only gotten a few.

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/dc-universe-rebirth-2016/dc-rebirth-omnibus
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401267424/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Keep hoping for more. The only titles I'm currently buying are Superman, Action, Green Arrow and Justice League. At least until the first arcs are over. I want to read the others in trades and at a overall lower price.

Yeah but I mean by December, how many titles are normally collected in Volumes? I've seen 12 issues in Injustice, but I've also seen 6 issues in Batman and the Outsiders.

So Action comics continues to be a blast. Honestly, it's not super plot heavy but man can Jurgens plot out a fight. Lots of character moments in it too. Feels old school and awesome.

And Superwoman #1 just blew me away, so much story, great characterization, and one hell of an ending. Is this one a monthly?

Yep, it's a monthly. I don't think any of the books that didn't have a rough pre-Rebirth parallel are double shipping. I imagine that if they sell well they might get moved up to the two per month schedule whenever they do their first round of assessments (and that any that aren't big names that aren't selling well will get pared back to monthlies).

Detective Comics ?: Pretty cool but I miss Barrows. Without him it's just good, not excellent or anything.

New Superman 2: Kenan is hilarious. The team is like Justice League 3000 where Supes is a complete tool except Kenan is actually endearing.

Deathstroke Rebirth: Freaking great. I love how bad of a father Slade is.

Red Hood 1: nothing happened dammit.

I still got Superwoman 1 to read so I hope that's good.

tim1138

Superwoman was absolutely amazing, it narrowly edged out New Super-Man for my favorite Rebirth book this week. I fully expect Orlando's Supergirl to live up to the standard these two have set.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Superwoman was pretty fuckin bonkers

i don't read Action so i have some questions (spoilers for superwoman #1!)

there are 2 lois and 2 clark in the universe right?

new 52 lois and new 52 clark both died in ash form

so now the family in Superman is all preFlashpoint people and there are only 1 of each

tim1138

Superwoman was pretty fuckin bonkers

i don't read Action so i have some questions (spoilers for superwoman #1!)

there are 2 lois and 2 clark in the universe right?

new 52 lois and new 52 clark both died in ash form

so now the family in Superman is all preFlashpoint people and there are only 1 of each

The answer to your questions is yes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ok that makes sense

pretty hilarious that they were

so quick to off new 52 supes and lois... guess people did not care for them lol

Sean C

Wonder Woman #4: We're not exactly breaking major new ground here, but that's not typically expected in an origin retelling; and Diana hasn't had one of those in canon since 1987, so this was probably overdue, given all the stuff that has changed since then. Like I commented earlier, it's nice to have back the civilized, compassionate Amazons. There are a few tweaks here to the basic template that are noticeable, such as Diana not competing in disguise (which make Hippolyta look less selfish) and Steve being unable to communicate with anybody on Themyscira -- I wonder if the latter change was motivated by Rucka not wanting there to be any implication that Diana volunteered for the mission because she thought Steve was hot? We also get an Amazon-centric origin for the invisible jet, something that has repeatedly proved a challenge for post-Crisis writers; though even here, it seems a little disconnected from the rest of the Amazons' technology levels. Nicola Scott's art is goddamn gorgeous. So many different facial types, so many great, subtle expressions.

Wonder Woman #4: We're not exactly breaking major new ground here, but that's not typically expected in an origin retelling; and Diana hasn't had one of those in canon since 1987, so this was probably overdue, given all the stuff that has changed since then. Like I commented earlier, it's nice to have back the civilized, compassionate Amazons. There are a few tweaks here to the basic template that are noticeable, such as Diana not competing in disguise (which make Hippolyta look less selfish) and Steve being unable to communicate with anybody on Themyscira -- I wonder if the latter change was motivated by Rucka not wanting there to be any implication that Diana volunteered for the mission because she thought Steve was hot? We also get an Amazon-centric origin for the invisible jet, something that has repeatedly proved a challenge for post-Crisis writers; though even here, it seems a little disconnected from the rest of the Amazons' technology levels. Nicola Scott's art is goddamn gorgeous. So many different facial types, so many great, subtle expressions.

Not the first time Amazon Tech levels are utterly bizarre , the Purple Healing Ray is another strange piece.

Also Amazons Attack had stuff where Amazon swords could cut through tanks but their armor was utterly useless against conventional weaponry. And yes I'll go perform the ritual penance for reminding people of that particular abomination.

Sean C

I will say, the cover for next month's Wonder Woman #6 is my favourite comics cover in a long time:

Wonder%20Woman%206_zps7zqohy5r.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
ASB was great! Best Rebirth Bat issue I've read so far.

How's Deathstroke? I don't know anything about the character but have heard Priest is good.

aly

Seriously though, I really want to know what Snyders problem is with Robin. ASB saying Batman doesn't need a Robin and vice versa makes no sense when Damian is currently Robin and in fact needs his father. It also doesn't gel well with Batmans words and appearences in Tec, Red hood, and Nightwing. Unless ASB isn't part of continuity.

tim1138

Seriously though, I really want to know what Snyders problem is with Robin. ASB saying Batman doesn't need a Robin and vice versa makes no sense when Damian is currently Robin and in fact needs his father. It also doesn't gel well with Batmans words and appearences in Tec, Red hood, and Nightwing. Unless ASB isn't part of continuity.

Snyder doesn't get Damian and doesn't like writing him, so he ignores him in favor of his own creations.

Ross61

Snyder doesn't get Damian and doesn't like writing him, so he ignores him in favor of his own creations.
And its honestly better that way. Only a few writers can make Damian a great character. Him not understanding Damian and not using him is sparing us of the overly obnoxious kid with no heart that other writer make him out to be.

tim1138

And its honestly better that way. Only a few writers can make Damian a great character. Him not understanding Damian and not using him is sparing us of the overly obnoxious kid with no heart that other writer make him out to be.

That's a very good point.

aly

Good points. Maybe I'd be more understanding if it didn't seem like he was putting down the concept as a whole. Since at the end of the day Duke is still another sidekick.

Lokimaru

I didn't care for Nu52s' Superman characterization in the first Justice League arc when he fights Batman and GL. He just came off as a dick. I will say that the collar really made his uniform pop, it added a tinge of regality to his costume. Don't know why it was off putting to some.

Overall, I didn't care for Nu Supes save for some arcs with Wonder Woman. Like the moment when he and Diana split an atom with her sword and stand at ground zero of a nuclear blast, that was some next level shit.

So Superman stands up and defends himself from an unprovoked attack and he's the Dick. Meanwhile people complain when Batman's NOT being a Dick to people. Yeah, OK.

MartyStu

The entire "Robin does not need Batman" thing is part of a thread from 'We Are Robin.' That entire movement is predicated on the idea that like Batman, Robin embodies an idea and that picking up the mantle does not require a relationship with Batman.

aly

The entire "Robin does not need Batman" thing is part of a thread from 'We Are Robin.' That entire movement is predicated on the idea that like Batman, Robin embodies an idea and that picking up the mantle does not require a relationship with Batman.

I see. The entire thing sounds super dumb and fully against the point of Robin in the first place ( and Tim Drakes entire point) but I also ignored the We are Robin kids outside of Robin War.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
So Superman stands up and defends himself from an unprovoked attack and he's the Dick. Meanwhile people complain when Batman's NOT being a Dick to people. Yeah, OK.
I was referring more to his smug-ish attitude.

On Deathstroke. Read it. This is the start of something great.

I will say, the cover for next month's Wonder Woman #6 is my favourite comics cover in a long time:

Wonder%20Woman%206_zps7zqohy5r.jpg

Hmm, so I see an Owl (Athena) and a Peacock (Hera) anyone with a better memory than me remember who the other animals are associated with ?

ETA - I believe Artemis is likely for the Stag and Zeus the Eagle but I don't recognize the other bird at all .

Oddish1

Hmm, so I see an Owl (Athena) and a Peacock (Hera) anyone with a better memory than me remember who the other animals are associated with ?

ETA - I believe Artemis is likely for the Stag and Zeus the Eagle but I don't recognize the other bird at all .

Probably a dove or sparrow, which would link it to aphrodite.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gotta read Deathstroke and ASB...

Only the DC Rebirth Omnibus so far. It collects all the Rebirth #1 issues as well as the big DC Rebirth #1 by Geoff Johns. For it's current marked down price right now on Amazon it's kind of a steal given it's a hardcover and how many #1s there are and if you've only gotten a few.

When I saw the $75 price tag on DC's website I was hesitant, but $52 on Amazon? Kismet.

Only things I've read so far...

Action Comics: Why did I keep reading this? I said I was done, but then the end has to rope me back in!

Superwoman: Well that was a shock... This was a really awesome start.

All Star Batman: This felt really weird. I really hated the art so that didn't really help, but it also just didn't feel like the same Batman that's in the other books. This Batman is chatty and almost light hearted. He's bringing up villain anecdotes while taking them down? What is this Spider-Man? I liked the little side story with Duke but for fuck sake give it a name. We get it that you're doing something "new" but stop saying it and give it a name if that's what you're going to say everyone brings up Robin.

Flash: I really liked this issue, it was fun and kind of light hearted but at the same time it feels like a weird chapter to have in the middle of an arc.

Detective Comics: This took a little dip this week because it seemed a little plodding. It mostly felt like rehash while giving some good action. The book is still great but this felt a bit below the rest in the series so far.

Arkanius

I'm pleasantely surprised to start reading Batman: Rebirth and it following the continuation of the New 52.I was expecting a cherry picked "reboot".

Is the Batman Beyond Rebirth any good? Good starting point for more Batman? (I'm a recent convert and don't have much interest for Justice League/Suicide Squad/etc)

I'm pleasantely surprised to start reading Batman: Rebirth and it following the continuation of the New 52.I was expecting a cherry picked "reboot".

Is the Batman Beyond Rebirth any good? Good starting point for more Batman? (I'm a recent convert and don't have much interest for Justice League/Suicide Squad/etc)

I don't think Beyond has hit Rebirth yet, it's still wrapping up the regular book but I think it's pretty soon.

I don't think Beyond has hit Rebirth yet, it's still wrapping up the regular book but I think it's pretty soon.

Batman got a fairly cherrypicked Nu52ing to start with. Official Batman Sidekick mortality or maiming rate in Nu52 was something like 75% over ~10 years with an average time of service of something like 2 years (thanks mainly to Dick and partially due to Dick and Barbara operating simultaneously). But you're supposed to ignore the implications of that in order to keep all the male Robins and Barbara Gordon in continuity. So its reasonably easy to slide stuff in and out of Batman continuity as suits the writer, by doing it in the nebulous past.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I thought it was very clever how they explained why Wonder Woman's primary color scheme is what it is. It felt very natural and made total sense.

Ahasverus

I thought it was very clever how they explained why Wonder Woman's primary color scheme is what it is. It felt very natural and made total sense.
I didn't get it? nor how they made the plane invisble lol

Edit: Oh, they looked at America's flag and shield, wasn't that the orignal canon explanation?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I didn't get it? nor how they made the plane invisble lol

Probably just Amazonian magic lol. Fusing Amazonian magic with mans' technology.

Edit: Oh, they looked at America's flag and shield, wasn't that the orignal canon explanation?
Can't say. It might have been. Either way, I found it to be such a logical explanation given why so many wonder why she wears a star spangled uniform.

How's Nightwing?

Quite enjoyed the Rebirth issue/#1. Been trimming my Cmx "pull" list because i would end up having a week when i spend about £30 odd :p

At the moment I have Batman, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Superman, Superwoman, Detective and All Star. Contemplating getting the digital of Rucka's WW Vol 1 too.

Why is everyone trying to put Lex down to the point that he goes supervillain again.

Because they don't believe he isn't a supervillain right now. And that's fair, half of Lex's modus operandi is to wear the facade of a billionaire philanthropist while running supervillainy on the side. No one has anyway of knowing he's actually sincere this time.

Weren't we supposed to get a Lex solo book called The Super-Man? I'd rather read that instead of reading Supes pissing on Lex all day. Gimme that Superior Superman.

tim1138

Weren't we supposed to get a Lex solo book called The Super-Man? I'd rather read that instead of reading Supes pissing on Lex all day. Gimme that Superior Superman.

That was just Bleeding Cool making shit up. The New Super-Man book is the Chinese Superman, Kong Kenan.

MartyStu

Why is everyone trying to put Lex down to the point that he goes supervillain again.

It is a slow moving tragedy.

Lex has finally, actually turned a new leaf, but no one believes it because of all the times he has cried Wolf.

By the time everyone else realizes what they are doing/have done, it will be too late.

It is supposed to be sad/unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom