• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 - Jiggle Physics Are Back!

Vlaphor

What it comes down to for me is that I am wondering how the final product will look, but I'll still get it day one for PC. Anything I'm missing out on can be added in, anything "unsatisfactory" can be fixed. I believe in the future of DOA6, at least on PC.

Still, the lead up to this game could not have been more of a mess.

The more I read about this the more certain I am this is not going to be a worthwhile purchase.

The launch game will have the least amount of content at the highest price.

DOA6 seems to be a perfect example of "target everyone; satisfy no one."

If you think the sexy outfits hurt the game and expect fan service to be phased out I image you will be disappointed as the game adds DLC costumes. It's already mature rated for very sexy content by the ESRB.

If you're here because you like the sexy costumes then the game doesn't look to have much at launch, at least not without the digital deluxe edition. All the good stuff will probably come later at a high price which makes the launch game a poor deal. Might as well wait. We'll probably get repackaged "ultimate" editions for next gen consoles.

On a side note: I am happy to see One Angry Gamer reach out to Shimbori! That's certainly helped my image of the site, which I'm usually not fond of.
Those 2 bolded parts are Koei Tecmo in a nutshell.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/05/yep_dynasty_warriors_9_is_selling_removed_weapons_as_dlc
Yet they're confused by declining sales and reception of there games.....

The "desexualization" here seems to just mean they toned down the absurd/trashy extents of past DLC. The characters actually seem to fall in the realm of human/realistic physics rather than hyper exaggerated anime and wear more than 3 bandaids. It is far more sensible and aesthetic to me. The hooded costume for Ayane may be the best she has ever looked, the only competition being her DOA2 default.
Too bad, as the article I previously posted provided, this was the most profitable parts of DOA5 for better or worse......

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
The "desexualization" here seems to just mean they toned down the absurd/trashy extents of past DLC. The characters actually seem to fall in the realm of human/realistic physics rather than hyper exaggerated anime and wear more than 3 bandaids. It is far more sensible and aesthetic to me. The hooded costume for Ayane may be the best she has ever looked, the only competition being her DOA2 default.

Lol, realistic physics and sensibility in DOA. If you don't think there's going to be an excess of dlc featuring "trashy" outfits, then you're pretty naive and you're gonna be disappointed.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lol, realistic physics and sensibility in DOA. If you don't think there's going to be an excess of dlc featuring "trashy" outfits, then you're pretty naive and you're gonna be disappointed.
Then what has truly been "desexualized" to warrant so much complaining?

Last edited:
Then what has truly been "desexualized" to warrant so much complaining?
Because that would mean they deliberately held back the core product just to exploit fans for more money, just like what they did with the weapons in Dynasty Warriors 9, which would be even worse than altering the game just because eSports players thought it wasn't cool enough.

Last edited:

Dice

Because that would mean they deliberately held back the core product just to exploit fans for more money, just like what they did with the weapons in Dynasty Warriors 9, which would be even worse than altering the game just because eSports players thought it wasn't cool enough.
You mean they will sell that stuff in DLC exactly like they did with DOA5 for years on end while fans gobbled it up.

You mean they will sell that stuff in DLC exactly like they did with DOA5 for years on end while fans gobbled it up.
And Dynasty Warriors 8 had DLC weapons. Difference is DOA5 still shipped with unlockable bikinis and shit, and Dynasty Warriors 8 wasn't selling removed weapons as DLC..

Last edited:

Dice

And Dynasty Warriors 8 had DLC weapons. Difference is DOA5 still shipped with unlockable bikinis and shit, and Dynasty Warriors 8 wasn't selling removed weapons as DLC..
Do we have confirmation that the core game will have NO fanservice items at all?

CatCouch

Do we have confirmation that the core game will have NO fanservice items at all?
From what I can see it looks really low. The locked outfits you can see in the beta indicate that only one or two are kind of sexy. Kasumi and Ayane's only sexy outfits seem to be their original outfits from older games. Honoka appears have more sexy outfits but I think they are nudging consumers to buy the digital deluxe edition which comes with a bunch of outfits. It's not a case of none, but an indication that what used to be one of the main selling points is now a side thing to be bought extra.

I kind of doubt there will be costumes on the level of DOA5 at all. I imagine many will be displeased with this, it's too sexy for some and it's toned down to be less than it was before.

Dice

When you say "sexy outfits" do you mean just bikinis or something? Their defaults are sexy styles.

Played about a hour and a half of the beta. The online is pretty bad, only got around 5 or 6 good connection matches, which were 5 bars only, and a few of the 5 bars I got was pretty bad too. Anything less than 4 bars seemed damn near unplayable, and all 4 bars I had were pretty laggy too. Much, much, MUCH worse than Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur VI on PS4, and there online on PS4 isn't exactly the hottest either. Connection settings also don't work.

Can see why they delayed the game for further work.

Recorded my matches, probably will edit later.

I actually think connections have been largely okay, though there have been a few more disconnections than I would like. I have almost only been playing against 5 bars. I don't know why you'd knowingly play against anything below 4 bars because that's asking for a bad match. From my experience I had no problems finding matches within 30 seconds even when I limited my selection to 5 bars only (I recommend 4+ bar connection setting at least for everyone).

On a side note, as someone who's never properly got into a DOA game, I was hoping to come here and read about others' takes on the online connectivity and gameplay mechanics and any tangible improvements from previous entries, but all people seem to be interested in is talking about costume selection. The characters look good to me. What's more important is if the game is balanced properly before launch if it wants to be a fun online/tournament fighter (which looks like it wants to be). I've actually been enjoying the general fast pace of the matches and the whole rock paper scissors mechanics with holds, throws and strikes - once I got to fighting people with D rank or higher, the matches were really starting to get intense. But without a training mode in the beta, it's difficult to learn the mechanics properly. Maybe I'm just in the wrong place for that kind of discussion but I'll definitely look into whether the game is accepted as a serious fighting game on release.

Last edited:
When you say "sexy outfits" do you mean just bikinis or something? Their defaults are sexy styles.
Kasumi's default is ugly as can be, thankfully her DOA5 story outfit/Ninja Gaiden 3 default outfit is included, which is an actual sexy version of that outfit. That and her classic are the only good ones she has.
Ayane's is pretty good, however it is also based on her Ninja Gaiden 1/Black/Sigma outfit FYI.
http://www.arcade-fighter.com/images/ninja-gaiden-sigma-2/ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-ayane-3.jpg

Last edited:

Vlaphor

To be honest, I never really found the bikinis to be too impressive. Stuff like this is much more impressive.

(spoilered for size reasons)

7jEyTwp.jpg

lcg5PQJ.jpg

CQw9jwX.jpg

b4CLtMQ.jpg

pUNgPai.jpg

Gu5XKjV.jpg

Seriously, Rachel as Dela from Brandish is just several kinds of brilliant

LrrxVWV.jpg

So yeah, the bikinis are alright, but they can and hopefully will do better down the road. I've spent more on DOA5 dlc than I'm willing to admit to anyone (even myself).

Last edited:
I actually think connections have been largely okay, though there have been a few more disconnections than I would like. I have almost only been playing against 5 bars. I don't know why you'd knowingly play against anything below 4 bars because that's asking for a bad match. From my experience I had no problems finding matches within 30 seconds even when I limited my selection to 5 bars only (I recommend 4+ bar connection setting at least for everyone).

On a side note, as someone who's never properly got into a DOA game, I was hoping to come here and read about others' takes on the online connectivity and gameplay mechanics and any tangible improvements from previous entries, but all people seem to be interested in is talking about costume selection. The characters look good to me. What's more important is if the game is balanced properly before launch if it wants to be a fun online/tournament fighter (which looks like it wants to be). I've actually been enjoying the general fast pace of the matches and the whole rock paper scissors mechanics with holds, throws and strikes - once I got to fighting people with D rank or higher, the matches were really starting to get intense. But without a training mode in the beta, it's difficult to learn the mechanics properly. Maybe I'm just in the wrong place for that kind of discussion but I'll definitely look into whether the game is accepted as a serious fighting game on release.
That's actually not true, 3 bars works fine in quite a few fighters actually that have solid netcodes, even played a Japanese Twitch streamer in SoulCalibur VI for 30 minutes under 3 bars just fine, and SoulCalibur VI doesn't exactly have good online, then again it's more because of broken matchmaking in ranked and limited options than the actual netcode. Hell in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, as long as both players have decent enough internet, you can go as low as 1 bar and still can get a decent connection at times. However in DOA6's beta most the 4 bars I had wasn't even as good as Tekken 7's 3 bars, and Tekken 7 is pretty bad in 3 bars too.

I even watched Koefficent play it yesterday to check out someone with far better internet than me play, and even he was getting extremely laggy 5 bars at times. However it's just a beta so hopefully it will be improved, especially with the delay.

There really isn't any major improvements from DOA5 from what I saw in the core gameplay (like speed, feel, and control). The big difference of course is the new mechanics in the new S system (R1), which gives you the auto combo that can't be countered naturally, replaces the rage supers and launchers of DOA5 with meter supers and counters, and gives you the new sidestep attack (in DOA5 you had a manual sidestep by hitting up, up or down, down, and then could do a sidestep attack with either punch of kick, which is now gone for the new S sidestep).

They also removed critical burst moves from DOA5.
https://deadoralive.fandom.com/wiki/Critical_Bursts

To be honest, I never really found the bikinis to be too impressive. Stuff like this is much more impressive.

(spoilered for size reasons)

7jEyTwp.jpg

lcg5PQJ.jpg

CQw9jwX.jpg

b4CLtMQ.jpg

pUNgPai.jpg

Gu5XKjV.jpg

Seriously, Rachel as Dela from Brandish is just several kinds of brilliant

LrrxVWV.jpg

So yeah, the bikinis are alright, but they can and hopefully will do better down the road. I've spent more on DOA5 dlc than I'm willing to admit to anyone (even myself).
Agreed. My favorite outfit in DOA5 was this, even though it wasn't my favorite character.
1358275491-691979helena10.jpg
At least Helena's new default is like a much worse version of this.

Also I preferred those beach wears that came later that had the shorts.
latest

Last edited:

LUXURY

Looks like "lost money", in this case.
Lol no. Dead or Alive 5, it’s countless costume releases and like four different releases gave them more than enough money...

I played the beta. It was fun. The PS4 controller is fucking garbage though. I hate using it for fighting games. Just not good. I’ll get it for PC and possibly Xbox One.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder how much money they made off of costumes? There was no way I was paying what they charged just to play dress up with virtual dolls. But I'm sure people did.

I won't be buying costume DLC for 6, either. But if people want it then more power to them.

Vlaphor

I didn't really buy any of the packs (other than the one that got the gravure videos), as I was more selective as to what I would buy.

Tina costume - bought
Rachel costume - bought
Notable amounts of under/sideboob - bought

I have very discerning tastes.

Checked out the guys costumes in the beta, only 2 costumes with 3 colors each. Hoping this means there is still more default costumes to come before release yet, so some characters might yet get better ones. Otherwise, big yikes on content.

Also figured out what was going on with the netcode in the beta. Broken match making and lying pre-match connection bars. Even setting it to 4+ or 5 it will still try to pair you with someone in Europe or Asia, show a incorrect 4 or 5 bar, and then when the match starts it has 1 or 2 bar connection under there life bar.

CatCouch

That is an interesting interview. He says the game will be on DOA5 level with sexy (I'll believe it when I see it) but also says "We’ll take the community’s feedback to patch the game and making it more or less… Excessive, if need be"

That leads to one of my newer fears about games. If it releases with DOA5 level sexy and some complain does that mean the game may cut clothing damage or breast jiggle down after I buy?

I would be devastated if I bought the game and bought costumes just to have them altered with a patch because people complained.

Finally got my crappy matches from the Beta up, cut out all those pesky sub-4 bar and catfish connection matches.

That is an interesting interview. He says the game will be on DOA5 level with sexy (I'll believe it when I see it) but also says "We’ll take the community’s feedback to patch the game and making it more or less… Excessive, if need be"

That leads to one of my newer fears about games. If it releases with DOA5 level sexy and some complain does that mean the game may cut clothing damage or breast jiggle down after I buy?

I would be devastated if I bought the game and bought costumes just to have them altered with a patch because people complained.
Could also means get ready for those 90$ season passes again with the real good stuff for characters that aren't Honkers. We'll find out.

Last edited:
Oh hey, it's yet another interview, where Shimbori says he was previously misquoted and again asks consumers to trust him. Of course, there wouldn't be any need to repeatedly ask for the consumers' trust, if many were looking at the game and actually felt it was on the same "level" as DoA5.

I look forward to seeing what manner of statements Shimbori makes to the English-speaking press, but his vague comments about adjusting things like sexiness, based on whatever he considers feedback, further suggests I should just avoid this game.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Oh hey, it's yet another interview, where Shimbori says he was previously misquoted and again asks consumers to trust him. Of course, there wouldn't be any need to repeatedly ask for the consumers' trust, if many were looking at the game and actually felt it was on the same "level" as DoA5.

I look forward to seeing what manner of statements Shimbori makes to the English-speaking press, but his vague comments about adjusting things like sexiness, based on whatever he considers feedback, further suggests I should just avoid this game.

At this point, I really don't think we'll know the truth till around March 1st

At this point, I really don't think we'll know the truth till around March 1st
The game's presentation has been largely consistent since its reveal, as has the types of comments Shimbori keep saying are being misquoted. What we're seeing now is what DoA6 is going to be on March 1st. Any eventual changes coming down the pipe by way of patches or DLC are not something I'm willing to support with an upfront purchase.

Last edited:

CatCouch

If anyone wants a good laugh The Sun has an article on Dead Or Alive 6.

They call it "Dead on Arrival" and say that Shimbori has "confirmed" the game was created with the "Me Too" generation in mind and is toned down. Lol.

"The game's director and producer, Yohei Shimbori, admitted that the #metoo movement and other shifts in society since Dead or Alive 5 was released in 2012 had affected the game's development.

"Of course you have to keep in mind how the world changes," he told Sun Online."

The Sun never fails to deliver absurdity. :3

I'm thinking notions of the game adjusting for a modern world view, or modern sensibilities, will be a prominent PR talking point, at least outside of Japan. As for The Sun article, I'm no proponent of DoA6, but that headline is a shame, especially since it's formatted as a quote.

Twinfinite has run their DoA6 preview article, which is favorable and suggests the jiggle physics are improved from previous builds. Worth keeping in mind, the piece's author has maintained a generally positive outlook on the game, with the following comment providing insight on his overall view of things, "There could certainly be a discussion on whether Dead or Alive 6 is more or less sexy than its predecessors, but it comes with a whole lot of fanservice..."

There's also a Chinese interview over at HobbiGame. As Google doesn't do the best at translating Chinese, I'd suggest anyone interested experience the piece firsthand. Some noteworthy points: a decent number of questions focus on fan-service elements, with most answers referencing a need to tailor the game to modern sensibilities; one question specifically asks whether any DoA Xtreme costumes would be offered, eliciting a response that those types of outfits were fine in 2017 but no longer "work" in 2019; and relatedly, a comment about sexy DLC draws a distinction between the possibility of "sexy" but not "erotic" outfits.

My take: if they want to try dispelling some of the narrative DoA6 has been neutered by esports and attempts at placating modern progressive agendas, then they'd do better to release high-quality videos, instead of offering the doublespeak from these interviews and preview articles.

Last edited:

Sakura

The very fact that the new release of DoAX3 is censored on the PS4 should be enough to show that DoA6 is going to be toned down, in my opinion at least.

CatCouch

If Shimbori is saying what could be done in 2017 can't be done in 2019 then the game is likely not for me. That's not keeping it at DOA5 level.

I make my money drawing erotic art and I live in California. How can anyone tell me that bikini's and clothed breasts are not acceptable anymore? It's absolutely not true that the world completely rejected sexy. I would have no career if that happened. He must be relying on vocal minority advice from game journalists because he has a pretty twisted view of the actual audience in the west.

I re-ordered DOA6 after the rather good Kayane interview and now I'm thinking of cancelling again if I don't see more soon.

My completely speculative guess is the game is going to have a little fan service at launch but overall be severely toned down in the hopes that it takes off as a esport. It likely won't as it has a lot of negativity around it, not unlike MVC: Infinite and SFV. Both of which had big hurdles to overcome with one failing right out the gate. DOA is nowhere near the popularity level of those two series.

If it doesn't succeed they will add sexy DLC but still probably not enough. Sony doesn't seem to be cutting outfits from DOAX3 Scarlet so I assume all the toning down is entirely self-imposed at this point.

If desperate enough, maybe we'll see a re-release on the Switch (possibly on an upgraded Switch, if that happens) that has DOAX cross-over content or something. That might help satisfy the Japanese audience that surely can't be happy about how their games are being changed for the west. I do worry that none of the DOAXtreme games are going to release in the west considering the attitude this company has now... I don't want to import again.

My completely speculative guess is the game is going to have a little fan service at launch but overall be severely toned down in the hopes that it takes off as a esport.

You may be right about this. Though I like DoA game play, I dont think its deep enough to be something lots of people would want to spectate.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Well this game is hard pass for me, and I hope it is a hard pass for all of you guys, we NEED to send Shimbori and the DoA team a message with this.
Especially with how well SCVI is doing.

Excluding some of the revealing dlc outfits in doa5, I never really thought it was any more sexualized then lots of other games similar to it that receive best as much criticism. Pragmatically, I doubt doa6 will be as sexy as doa5, but it looks like it still has a fair or balanced amount of sex appeal in it still. Well, look on the bright side. Doa6 looks gratuitously sexy compared to what I’ve seen in mortal kombat 11 so far at least.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well this game is hard pass for me, and I hope it is a hard pass for all of you guys, we NEED to send Shimbori and the DoA team a message with this.
Especially with how well SCVI is doing.

It went from Day One for me to Core Fighters + plus or two characters (*cough* Mila) when Mortal Kombat 11 was announced for April combined with this getting pushed to March :messenger_sunglasses:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don’t understand his comments about not being able to sell the game in the West and maybe adding the fan service stuff in at a later date. SCVI released just fine. I’d rather buy a somewhat complete product at release rather then one that may be changed up in the future.

CatCouch

I'll put it this way. I bought the collectors edition of SoulCalibur VI with the Sophitia statue and then the Season Pass on top of it for the PS4. Then I bought the deluxe edition again for the Xbox One. All full price. I have no regrets. I'm not sure I will be buying DOA6 at all at the base $60 price.

That's how much damage Shimbori has done. It's like he's just making things up on the spot. Where did he get the idea that there would be retailers refusing to carry a M rated games for having partial nudity clothing damage? DOAXtreme3 couldn't be released in the west at all? First I'm hearing of that. Lol at thinking a game about beach bikini's couldn't be sold in America.

Retailers don't refuse to carry GTAV. Senran Kagura has much more revealing clothing damage mechanics and that's after Sony censored it.

I call BS on Shimbori. He wants a different audience for the game and knows that confirming that will make it difficult to court the old audience back should the game fail with the new, obviously esports focused audience he wants. I just hope the DLC isn't ridiculously priced.

Sakura

Do they honestly think appealing to 'world trends' will bolster sales of the game? The people who actually complain about that shit and wouldn't have bought the game aren't suddenly going to buy it because it is somewhat less sexy.

splattered

Am I the only person that actually likes the series for the characters and fighting mechanics? Haha

Dont get me wrong... i have absolutely no problem with revealing clothing, but it isn't a huge deal killer for me either if they tone it down.

This is coming from a person that used to mod consoles and applied the nude patch to doa beach volleyball (that was amazing back in the day ha)

Last edited:
Top Bottom