• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 - Jiggle Physics Are Back!

https://twinfinite.net/2019/01/dead-or-alive-6-censorship/

I take exception to articles like the one above that suggest their intent is to tackle thorny subjects, but in reality are an open platforms for an individual to speak their mind or make statements.

The piece doesn't address the view DoA6 is tamer than, at minimum, the series' previous outing nor does it ask for clarity on repeated comments of the game being adjusted in response to the current global climate. Clarity in this case is not allowing someone to, yet again, state they were misquoted; clarity is asking for a reason (other than translation issues) on why the individual has apparently been misquoted on several occasions.

The article's own text, along with the unchallenged comments made by Shimbori, also muddy the water, conflating the series' overall sensuality and fan-service elements solely with clothing damage. Even though Koei Tecmo voluntarily decided not to sell DoA Xtreme 3 in the West, and even though DoA5 exists across two platforms, with its more voluptuous characters, original breast jiggle, clothing break, and dump-truck loads of skimpy costumes, now any charges on DoA6 being less provocative can be met with, "Well, we didn't sell Xtreme 3 in the US and Europe;" this isn't an actual answer, this is allowing someone to spout bullshit.

As I suggested in previous posts, it's not that the girls are suddenly sea hags or clothed in burlap sacks, but the combination of wanting to turn the game into an esport, fears of being attacked by progressive-liberal hypocrites, and likely some amount of personal preference have spurred enough tweaks to the formula that the game has lost its soul. Yes, DoA6 still has pretty girls, but it's no longer DoA.

Am I the only person that actually likes the series for the characters and fighting mechanics?
I've been a casual player of the series since the first game and have usually enjoyed the franchise's position, sitting somewhere between the technicality of Virtua Fighter and the kinetics of Tekken's juggle-combo-heavy system. The only thing DoA6 seems to be bringing to the table over its immediate predecessor is a super meter and auto-combo.

The overall presentation and character designs have also played a huge part in the series' appeal. DoA6, unfortunately, looks to continue its predecessor's decision of making the world duller and grittier, while seemingly offering more sterile environments (which may also be smaller and less interactive) and, in my eyes, modeling the female characters to be less sensual--the male characters remain generic fight-men, much like in DoA5.

I'm certainly no tournament player and always viewed DoA as fun & sexy. This feeling lessened with DoA5, and I'm not at all looking forward to DoA6.

Last edited:
Do they honestly think appealing to 'world trends' will bolster sales of the game? The people who actually complain about that shit and wouldn't have bought the game aren't suddenly going to buy it because it is somewhat less sexy.

I don’t get it either. Seems like everyone is trying to go after and appeal to that diminutive percentage of people who aren’t hardly interested in video games in the first place. Most of that audience just want something to complain about and expect everything to conform to their perspectives.

Am I the only person that actually likes the series for the characters and fighting mechanics? Haha

Dont get me wrong... i have absolutely no problem with revealing clothing, but it isn't a huge deal killer for me either if they tone it down.

This is coming from a person that used to mod consoles and applied the nude patch to doa beach volleyball (that was amazing back in the day ha)

I actually play the games for the gameplay mechanics and characters. I find the game legitimately fun and the fighting engine is very good imho. The fan service is fine and have gave the game somewhat of an identity when it first released. The toning down of fan service is not a deal breaker to me because I think the game is very enjoyable with or without it.

MK is still MK. Rough as Skarlet and Sonya look, the newest entry will almost certainly be fine, as long as it remains content-rich and plays without issue.

Whereas DoA, people still think the game has no jiggle, and most of the attention it gets comes from articles about the developer yet again apologizing for being misquoted. I think DoA6 (or at least the initial incarnation of it) is going to be quickly forgotten.

Last edited:

CatCouch

Reading through Giuseppe Nelva's Tweets (Twinfinite article author from prior posts) and asking questions it seems likely the most revealing costumes in the game are just not being shown.

Nelva states Christie has this older costume, shown in DOA5 here. and that every character has at least one pretty fan service outfit. I'm sure the game will be bare bones at launch and that Kasumi and Ayane will have tame outfits as seen in the beta but other characters might start with much more revealing attire.

I really think the intention is to sell the costumes they know we want later but it's good to hear that we may not have seen the best of what's in the base game yet.

Reading through Giuseppe Nelva's Tweets (Twinfinite article author from prior posts) and asking questions it seems likely the most revealing costumes in the game are just not being shown.

Nelva states Christie has this older costume, shown in DOA5 here. and that every character has at least one pretty fan service outfit. I'm sure the game will be bare bones at launch and that Kasumi and Ayane will have tame outfits as seen in the beta but other characters might start with much more revealing attire.

I really think the intention is to sell the costumes they know we want later but it's good to hear that we may not have seen the best of what's in the base game yet.

I'm hoping the good stuff is the things locked behind Quest Mode (in the features trailer you can see something that says costume piece tied to the missions) and the beta only represents defaults and not the entire costume catalogue of characters, would suck though if like vanilla DOA5 they give characters like Christie really good stuff then screw over the most popular characters like Kasumi, Ayane, Hitomi to push DLC, a issue that was fixed in the re-releases.

Either way, regardless of how the game actually is, at this point the bigger issue is Shimbori just strait up making dumb shit up, mixed messaging, and not knowing how to market his own game. Koei Tecmo should put a shock collar around his neck for when he tries to speak.
giphy.gif

Having read articles by Giuseppe Nelva on DoA (and taking a quick run through his Twitter), he comes across like a PR mouthpiece, especially in context with how the game has been exhibited by its developer. That said, if his opinions hold any weight, he also made the below tweet, in regards to his time recently spent with the game.

I don't want to buy something along the lines of vanilla DoA5; and if DoA6 does have more to offer than what's been shown, Koei Tecmo is doing itself no favors by keeping the lid on things and allowing mix messages to be delivered by third-party media.

Last edited:

CatCouch

I'm adopting a cautiously optimistic, middle-ground approach by not allowing Shimbori to shape my views on the game, he clearly can't be trusted, and just assume the game will follow in DOA5's footsteps. I'm ready for lots of DLC to save it from sinking after an anemic launch that has enough to entice but not enough to satisfy.

I think Shimbori thought that leaning into the western press would help DOA avoid the usual criticism allowing them to launch the game with a "wink, wink" at the fan base but it backfired and caused the fans to turn on the game. Not sure what he expected if that's the case. Not showing us what's in the game has to break a lot of advertising rules...

Vlaphor

I'm adopting a cautiously optimistic, middle-ground approach by not allowing Shimbori to shape my views on the game, he clearly can't be trusted, and just assume the game will follow in DOA5's footsteps. I'm ready for lots of DLC to save it from sinking after an anemic launch that has enough to entice but not enough to satisfy.

I think Shimbori thought that leaning into the western press would help DOA avoid the usual criticism allowing them to launch the game with a "wink, wink" at the fan base but it backfired and caused the fans to turn on the game. Not sure what he expected if that's the case. Not showing us what's in the game has to break a lot of advertising rules...

That's how I've been looking at it. Shimbori keeps changing his tone, so I'm finding it best not to pay attention to him and instead look at what's been released so far. What's been released so far seems fun enough and sexy enough for a day one purchase. Also, they are offering these posters with the high end version of the game in Japan

cuuqRtV.jpg

so you would hope some of those costumes make it into the main game itself.

Shin

Banned
Having this Pokémon feeling - gotta catch em all because of DoAx vacation.
Beside Momiji and Rachel? which other lovely lady are we missing?

Javthusiast

Banned
How does reeing from doa fanservice haters who don‘t buy the game anyway, hinder them from doing these costumes?

If they can quietly release them as he says, then sony obviously let‘s them, so even with all eyes on them they should just put them out, instead of cowering in fear.

The quote should be, if people are buying them, then we will do more, cause there is obviously a market for it.

Last edited:

CatCouch

"G: I did notice that there are quite a few very revealing costumes.

YS: Of course. I’d like the fan to enjoy that, but please don’t talk too loudly about it. The more attention this draws, the less I can do it. If you really want to have nice costumes, please quietly enjoy them so we can keep making them."

That interview is not sitting well with me. It's like he is saying that the more I like the fan service the more quiet I should be about it or else it will not be doable. Not very reassuring. How can I be a fan of something if the more I recognize it the more it disappears? If I draw fan art do I contribute to killing it?

"G: They went pretty far with the fanservice, and they seem not to have any problems…

YS: The reason why they can get away it is one one of the big mysteries of the world. SoulCalibur can do it and doesn’t get a beating over it, but even when Dead or Alive doesn’t do it, it still gets criticized.

If anyone can tell me why this happens, and how to fix it, please introduce them to me [laughs].

Again, if people talk too much about it, others will come in and bash it. So just enjoy it and please trust me. I’ll make a nice game that the fans will be happy about."

I can immediately solve this mystery. The reason DOA gets way more scrutiny in this day and age is because Shimbori keeps trying to please critics. SoulCalibur gets away with it because they didn't compromise. When asked about sexy designs for Ivy they just say something like "that's what we want" and that's the end. They don't apologize, argue against their previous games and talk about toning down only to tell another interviewer that they are not toning down.

"We started small, but there are options to adjust it [the costume break feature]. For now, we’re sticking to the minimum to be able to sell the game."

Is Shimbori saying the game is toned down because it can't be sold if it was like previous games (DOA5 and Xtreme 3)? Why does he keep saying that you can't sell DOAX3? Just the fact that I can buy Senran Kagura breaks that argument. I get the impression he is desperately trying to justify toning the game down by implying it's out of his hands but the more you pull on that thread the less sense it makes. No one, not even Sony, is blocking clothing damage in games. I have never heard of a store refusing to stock DOA or any game for being too sexy. What is he referring to?

This feels like he's telling me not to buy the game at launch because it won't contain the content he knows I want but it may be added in later after people stop scrutinizing the game. That's the least amount of confidence in one's product I've ever seen, lol. Good thing I don't actually take him serious anymore.

Last edited:
No idea why I responded like he was actually reading this, but I had to vent some how. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

G: They went pretty far with the fanservice, and they seem not to have any problems…
YS:
The reason why they can get away it is one one of the big mysteries of the world. SoulCalibur can do it and doesn’t get a beating over it, but even when Dead or Alive doesn’t do it, it still gets criticized.
They're not a bunch of giant pussies afraid of criticism. Mystery solved.

G: Can Momiji fans hope to see her appear as DLC?
YS:
I’m very aware that the fans are requesting Momiji as DLC, so I’m thinking about making a personal effort to include her. I can’t make promises, but I think if Dead or Alive 6 is successful there might be a good chance to bring her back.
People don't want her as DLC, they were wanting her there from the very beginning since she's both new and popular, meaning she should have been a priority character in the first place you ass.

That being said, the damage on clothes has become less prominent. If we implement extensive clothes damage to the point that characters are almost left nude, it’s hard to sell the game in certain territories. [Dead or Alive] Xtreme 3 is a good example because we couldn’t sell it in Europe and North America.

G: Well, you could have if you wanted to…

YS: Individual retailers can refuse to carry the game. It’s really a big issue sales-wise. We started small, but there are options to adjust it [the costume break feature]. For now, we’re sticking to the minimum to be able to sell the game.
So then you could have sold it in America, just you have a assumption that not every retailer would have carried it. That's a very big difference than couldn't sell it....

G: I did notice that there are quite a few very revealing costumes.

YS: Of course. I’d like the fan to enjoy that, but please don’t talk too loudly about it. The more attention this draws, the less I can do it. If you really want to have nice costumes, please quietly enjoy them so we can keep making them.
Maybe you shouldn't direct a game if you're this embarrassed about directing it.

Cactuarman

Banned
They're not a bunch of giant pussies afraid of criticism. Mystery solved.

Agreed. I think this is a much bigger factor in all of this than a lot of people realize. Bandai put out the game that they wanted to put out and weren't concerned about the inevitable vocal minority.

I'll most likely buy DOA6 regardless as I own every other DOA game and gameplay wise this one looks just as great, but I wish they'd just stand behind whatever they want to put out. I'd honestly be less annoyed at this point if they said "no fan service" and stuck to it (obviously though I don't want that). I just don't understand why they seem so confused/unsure in all of these interviews.

"big mysteries of the world"... come on now...

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Am I the only person that actually likes the series for the characters and fighting mechanics? Haha

Dont get me wrong... i have absolutely no problem with revealing clothing, but it isn't a huge deal killer for me either if they tone it down.

This is coming from a person that used to mod consoles and applied the nude patch to doa beach volleyball (that was amazing back in the day ha)

Unpopular opinion: I really liked what were they shooting for originally, with costumes that looked more "battle-ready" yet still had sex appeal without being stripperiffic, realistic boob physics instead of them being made of jell-o, and the girls being treated the same as the guys and having their faces look dirty, allowing them to get punched in the face with that cool slow-mo zoom effect. It still looked like DOA to me, but more "raw", some nice change of pace to break up the status-quo. Now they backtracked yet again but not completely at least, game still looks hella cool.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think this is a much bigger factor in all of this than a lot of people realize. Bandai put out the game that they wanted to put out and weren't concerned about the inevitable vocal minority.

I'll most likely buy DOA6 regardless as I own every other DOA game and gameplay wise this one looks just as great, but I wish they'd just stand behind whatever they want to put out. I'd honestly be less annoyed at this point if they said "no fan service" and stuck to it (obviously though I don't want that). I just don't understand why they seem so confused/unsure in all of these interviews.

"big mysteries of the world"... come on now...
The funny thing is he acts like it didn't get criticism, yet the director was getting loaded questions and there was hit piece articles....
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...-get-slut-shamed-body-shamed-by-kotaku/61697/
However nothing changed because what kind of dingus listens to people that weren't buying the game in the first place?

Shimbori and Koei Tecmo on the other hand....

Last edited:
Along with oppai mouse pads in the one collector's edition, DoAXtreme3 Scarlet almost feels like an accessory or some head fake to try and sell DoA6 in Japan, as I imagine that audience was less enthused by slow motion sequences of characters getting punched in their jello-looking faces

I subscribe to the notion Koei Tecmo is attempting to give DoA a split personality, where in the West it's a standard fighting game focused on the tournament scene, while allowing the brand to retain its sexier renown in Japan. Shimbori's comments to a Western media outlet, asking consumers to quietly enjoy certain elements of the game, in order see them continue, further strengthens my impression of the company's dual approach. I wonder if he'll be apologizing or clarifying any of his statements to the Japanese audience...

More videos (and some new screens) are starting to hit for DoA6, and they remind me of my original take that the game looks bland and made on the cheap. Koei Tecmo is welcome to try and trick consumers with a handful of skimpier outfits, but even with some extra skin, from what I keep seeing they missed the mark on this game.

Last edited:

CatCouch

In a Gematsu interview today Shimbori talked about elements of Japanese culture being deemed unacceptable to show:

"And just to finalize that topic, what are your personal thoughts on the whole Sony censorship ordeal that has been a hot topic as of late?

Shimbori: “In regards to regulations, it’s not actually just limited to Sony. There has been a worldwide change in views recently. But for this game, we really wanted to focus on the fighting game aspect. The only thing that I regret for Dead or Alive 6 is that since it’s a Japanese game, there are some parts of Japanese culture that recent times have deemed no longer acceptable, so not being able to show that is a bit of a disappointment.”

Shimbori also says the game isn't toned down but going for an image change. He seems to want the public to see no sexy but for the game to still have tons of sexy...

I'm under the impression he's putting way too much emphasis on western game journalists opinions. He treats their opinions like law and often sides with critics of the fan service.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work because he also says there will be season passes and tons of costumes like in the past at the end of the interview.

"OK, how are you approaching downloadable content? Is this a Season Pass sort of thing like other fighting games? Are you going to release a million costumes like you have in the past?

Shimbori: “Yes to both of those. But no details have actually been determined yet.”

Telling us all about how you can't sell the game due to world views changing and sexy being unacceptable is at odds with his statements on adding tons of costumes and telling fans to be quiet so he can "sneak" sexy in at a later point when no one is paying attention.

Worst PR I've seen. It's right up there with EA "don't accept it, don't buy it" and MVC Infinite "functions" response to the lack of X-men.

CatCouch

Has esports helped any game franchise grow bigger? The best outcome I've seen is the games staying roughly the same with Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear/Blazblue (with the exception of Blazblue Cross Tag Battle).

I've watched Street Fighter struggle and Marvel Vs Capcom fail. If DOA tries to move away from it's main audience it stands no chance. MVC is so much bigger and it died!

Cactuarman

Banned
The funny thing is he acts like it didn't get criticism, yet the director was getting loaded questions and there was hit piece articles....
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...-get-slut-shamed-body-shamed-by-kotaku/61697/
However nothing changed because what kind of dingus listens to people that weren't buying the game in the first place?

Shimbori and Koei Tecmo on the other hand....

And ultimately Soulcalibur VI received pretty great reviews (even by Kotaku actually, regardless of that op-ed or whatever). It seems like in the end just putting out a good game is really what matters.

The fallacy of the DoA esports argument is it ignores jiggle could always be turned off and pretends the game forces people to play with only female characters wearing bikinis. The official tournament scene at large doesn't gravitate towards the franchise because of its game mechanics, with DoA6 looking to be offering more of the same, in this regard.

I do realize this is Koei Tecmo, but you'd think they'd have enough common sense to avoid continually pushing the message of, "we're focusing on a different audience, but we might be happy to sell the old cash cows tons of DLC, sometime in the future."

Has esports helped any game franchise grow bigger? The best outcome I've seen is the games staying roughly the same with Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear/Blazblue (with the exception of Blazblue Cross Tag Battle).

I've watched Street Fighter struggle and Marvel Vs Capcom fail. If DOA tries to move away from it's main audience it stands no chance. MVC is so much bigger and it died!
Not that I've seen, the Guilty Gear Xrd and BlazBlue central Fiction weren't that much more eSports than they had been (the removal of English dubs in Central Fiction and Revelator was there big failing), BlazBlue Cross tag Battle was there first time going full eSports, even had a at Evo sticker on the retail version, and we all know how that failure went. A good game will become a eSports just because it's good, trying to force it just keeps alienating the mainstream/casual fanbases because they just want a game that's fun with there favorite characters, good and plenty of offline modes, and the content they love.

And ultimately Soulcalibur VI received pretty great reviews (even by Kotaku actually, regardless of that op-ed or whatever). It seems like in the end just putting out a good game is really what matters.
Exactly, Shimbori/Koei Tecmo can't handle criticism, Bamco thanks them for there irrelevant opinion. I wonder which works?
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018/dec/02/marduk-julia-and-armor-king-revealed-tekken-7/
"Tekken 7 has now sold over 3.6 million copies worldwide according to Bandai Namco"

Mystery....

Last edited:
Shimbori can talk as much as he wants to. Once I see some quality bikinis in the game, then I'll know the game will be worth buying.

The fallacy of the DoA esports argument is it ignores jiggle could always be turned off and pretends the game forces people to play with only female characters wearing bikinis. The official tournament scene at large doesn't gravitate towards the franchise because of its game mechanics, with DoA6 looking to be offering more of the same, in this regard.

Yeah I agree. I dont think the game play is compelling enough to draw spectators, because there isnt any real technical skill required to play at higher levels. SFV has tough Guile boom loops and Menat v trigger combos etc. DoA6 will have more ppk juggles etc. Its not enough to excite spectators. If DoA games retained the game play they have now, but added in a ton of just-frames, it'd give players something to practice when playing, and respect when spectating.
JF's are a big part of what made Akira so fun in DoA5 and Setsuka so fun in SCIV. Adding many of those seems easier than re-designing the DoA combat system from the ground up and allows the series to keep its game play identity.
The game needs to allow players to demonstrate technical skill, to get spectators excited. I dont think it really does that now.

CatCouch

Shimbori was interviewed by Polygon.

Oh dear, the Polygon article is titled "Dead Or Alive 6's wokeness looks like marketing voodoo. Fighting game clings to raunchy, sexualized characters."

Here's the Reddit post about it. Polygon article archive here: http://archive.is/GmHYe

Shimbori surely being "mistranslated" again :messenger_smirking::

"There have been a lot of changes in the world in recent years, and I decided that we should reflect those changes by resetting our approach to sexual imagery."

"Sexual imagery has been a part of the series’ image and its marketing, but things change. That kind of imagery is less acceptable than it was, and can even mean that some media outlets don’t want to show those images. So we changed.”

"“I know some fans will not be happy, but I think most people will be fine, and I think it will be better for new fans,” he said. “I’m not personally unhappy about making these changes. It’s important to be able to react to changes in the world.”

What Shimbori needs to understand about places like Polygon is they are not just arguing against the game being too sexual, they argue against things like the women being too pretty. There is not a reasonable level of "changing" DOA can do to avoid western media scrutiny. He needs to grasp that it's okay for them to not like the game. Not everything is for everyone.

Does he think Polygon can't see his other interviews? Polygon is not that stupid. The fans are not that stupid. You can't tell each side conflicting info and think things will go smoothly. Polygon sure wasn't buying it, they went right after NiCO, Nyotengu and then said all the women are fantastically pretty while comparing Marie's outfit to S&M maid wear.

The comments on the Polygon article, if you want to read them, really show how impossible of a game Shimbori is playing. Some say they were fine with raunchy games but DOA6 is not honest about that so they don't like it. Others don't just dislike it...

There's a lengthy, 6 paragraph comment which accuses Team Ninja of objectifying women even when they try not to. They went as far to say they have a "deeply rooted culture of misogyny and objectification at Team Ninja". It's a bold move to even try to reach that crowd as if they could ever be in your audience.

Shimbori should get an award for upsetting nearly every group he talks to. Good luck with DOA6, he really needs it~

cireza

While everyone is talking about the lack (or not) of sexy outfits (come on, you know there will be plenty of them), I noted something more important to me : Tag Battle is not in the game.

This is a real shame. What a huge letdown.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Unpopular opinion: I really liked what were they shooting for originally, with costumes that looked more "battle-ready" yet still had sex appeal without being stripperiffic, realistic boob physics instead of them being made of jell-o, and the girls being treated the same as the guys and having their faces look dirty, allowing them to get punched in the face with that cool slow-mo zoom effect. It still looked like DOA to me, but more "raw", some nice change of pace to break up the status-quo. Now they backtracked yet again but not completely at least, game still looks hella cool.

An originality and realistic fighting game would NEVER pit women against men, or even give women a shred of a chance in fighting against men.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
"Sexual imagery has been a part of the series’ image and its marketing, but things change. That kind of imagery is less acceptable than it was, and can even mean that some media outlets don’t want to show those images. So we changed.”

"“I know some fans will not be happy, but I think most people will be fine, and I think it will be better for new fans,” he said. “I’m not personally unhappy about making these changes. It’s important to be able to react to changes in the world.”

So, it was NOT Sony's censor policy, Shimbori, but it WAS Sony's censor policy?

CatCouch

So, it was NOT Sony's censor policy, Shimbori, but it WAS Sony's censor policy?
I have no idea what he's actually referring to (I am unaware of any media outlets refusing to run images of DOA games) but I think he's way past talking about Sony. He seems to be thinking that if any place criticizes the game then it needs to change.

I'm leaning towards believing he is just spitballing hypotheticals to make it sound like he was forced to change the game. In the last interview it was about how retailers wouldn't carry the game, now it's about media outlets not covering the game. Does he think the west just refuses to cover or sell anything people complain about? Whoever is advising him about the west needs to be replaced.

Nickolaidas

I don't think Shimbori is worried about sjws not buying the game - as others here have stated, they would never buy the game either way. I think he wants to avoid negative publicity (which ironically, helps sales) and not having people constantly bitching on twitter about it.

This is unfortunate. DoA is one of the few franchises where its sexualization is a solid part of its identity - when it loses that, what remains? A Tekken wannabe?

True to his word in the interview with Gematsu, Shimbori doesn't tell Polygon DoA6 has been "toned down," but rather it's been "changed," which he knows mean some fans "will not be happy." At this point, I can't decide if Shimbori is purposefully lying or just completely incapable of playing this farce with the media and consumers. As has been said since the game's reveal, the audiences Koei Tecmo is trying to placate have either never cared about DoA or actively hate it, while the fighting-game's shift in focus and the accompanying marketing tomfoolery are only serving to drive away the existing base.

Regarding costumes, in the more recent screens released for the game, I'm noticing outfits shown that are only initially bundled with the deluxe edition of the game. Koei Tecmo needs to specify what's actually offered in the base-$60 version of DoA6, because I'm starting to wonder whether many of these "sexier" costumes actually come at an extra $20 premium.

Yeah I agree. I dont think the game play is compelling enough to draw spectators, because there isnt any real technical skill required to play at higher levels. SFV has tough Guile boom loops and Menat v trigger combos etc. DoA6 will have more ppk juggles etc. Its not enough to excite spectators. If DoA games retained the game play they have now, but added in a ton of just-frames, it'd give players something to practice when playing, and respect when spectating. JF's are a big part of what made Akira so fun in DoA5 and Setsuka so fun in SCIV. Adding many of those seems easier than re-designing the DoA combat system from the ground up and allows the series to keep its game play identity. The game needs to allow players to demonstrate technical skill, to get spectators excited. I dont think it really does that now.
Outside some local tournaments back-in-the-day and arcade play with DoA2, I've always been a fairly casual player of the franchise, so I'm not well equipped to speak to how best to improve the game for esports. Generally, though, it's not a particularly exciting franchise spectate, especially at the level one assumes Koei Tecmo's has set their sights. That said, I also don't think every fight game needs to be a service and a platform for esports, and I'd much rather DoA retain a focus on dumb things, like tag and breast jiggle.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Just a few gifs I wanted to share

zlqYalX.gif

rbslAQT.gif

Sadly, it does perhaps look like either Tina got a slight downgrade, or this costume is covering up more than last time.

YnwH_b.gif

UBC2ODM.gif

Also, Kokoro in a tight sweater

NxDLQr6.gif

Still, Tina's classic outfit being in this game gives me hope for other ones as well, such as Christie's awesome DOA5 one.

Edit: Just found this

So it does look like Tina got a slight reduction after all. Shame. Still want to buy this game though, but on PC of course.

Last edited:
On some actual good news, I saw Kasumi has her side ponytail, which wasn't in the beta (hopefully means she still has another yet to be seen actually good costume), in the latest gameplay footage.

Also saw this screenshot vid, looks like males still have there revealing DOA5 DLC costumes. No double standards here. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:
Outside of those with obvious changes, it's bit of a faulty endeavor trying to determine whether supposedly new 3D models have maintained the exact same physical proportions as past incarnations. The one thing that does look fairly consistent with all DoA6 characters (at least the women) is models generally appear slimmer in comparison to their DoA5 counterparts; characters like Tina will inherently find themselves with lessened curves, even without a deliberate decrease in breast size.

Tina's new win pose also leaves something to be desired, after what we had in DoA5.

Somewhat related to Tina, after watching a bunch of new videos, breast jiggle seems to jump awkwardly between either seesawing or barely budging and continues to only be really noticeable at intros, win poses, and other cinematic sequences. Whatever code now governs the jiggle, so far doesn't come across like any manner of upgrade over its predecessor.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Outside of those with obvious changes, it's bit of a faulty endeavor trying to determine whether supposedly new 3D models have maintained the exact same physical proportions as past incarnations. The one thing that does look fairly consistent with all DoA6 characters (at least the women) is models generally appear slimmer in comparison to their DoA5 counterparts; characters like Tina will inherently find themselves with lessened curves, even without a deliberate decrease in breast size.

Tina's new win pose also leaves something to be desired, after what we had in DoA5.

Somewhat related to Tina, after watching a bunch of new videos, breast jiggle seems to jump awkwardly between either seesawing or barely budging and continues to only be really noticeable at intros, win poses, and other cinematic sequences. Whatever code now governs the jiggle, so far doesn't come across like any manner of upgrade over its predecessor.

I also doubt Tina's idle animation will be quite as bouncy as DOA5 either.

CiFv8gS.gif

As for the bounce in DOA6, I'm guessing there are settings for it as well, plus the clothes the girls wear does seem to affect it.

Last edited:
As for the bounce in DOA6, I'm guessing there are settings for it as well, plus the clothes the girls wear does seem to affect it.
The game's messaging so far has been jiggle is completely dependent on the clothing, with still no mention of any related adjustable settings. Shimbori even recently tweeted that "the shaking depends on the clothes." At the moment, I don't expect any of the jiggle in DoA6 to live up to its predecessor.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Sjws will still be pissed because the characters are still sexualized (fondling their breasts and asses).

DoA fans will still be pissed because the fan service is being censored and toned down.

In his attempt to please everyone, Shimbori pleases no one.

While this shouldn't be taken as definitive confirmation, France's ActuGaming released their preview of DoA6 and directly mentioned the number of costumes available in (presumably) the base game, "It is specified that, as in the open beta on PS4, the characters have between 6 and 15 costumes depending on the profiles." Going by other interviews and previews during the recent press tour, the media outlets were essentially playing the game's final build.

Some clarity for anyone who didn't play or follow news from the beta, the costumes available to each character included three color variants; going by the beta, this would mean: 6 total costumes = 2 distinct outfits, with three color variations; 15 total costumes = 5 distinct outfits, also with three color variants.

If ActuGaming is accurate, then we already know the costumes available in the base game for Ayane, Kasumi, Diego, Hayate, and Ryu.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
No matter, the Soft Engine has been abandoned from this game, which means MASS breast reduction for the females and no sexy giggle physics. So it IS a downgrade.

cireza

I don't care much about boobs/asses. Look at the faces. This is a huge downgrade when compared to DoA5. They kind of came back to the "doll" look, with bigger eyes, and I dislike it. It was a great step forward in DoA5, giving the characters a more detailed face that really helped differentiate them and make them more "alive". Characters felt more expressive too.

I am really not feeling it, I don't like most of the changes they are making for DoA6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom