• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 - Jiggle Physics Are Back!

Vlaphor

Looking at that, excluding color variations, female characters have 3 DOA5 costumes and 2 new costumes, and males have 1 new costume and there DOA5 default. Most the returning DOA5 costumes are limited to the non DLC starter costumes from vanilla DOA5 (or the free with character for the DLC characters from Ultimate), with a few exceptions like 2 of Helena's and 1 of Hitomi's, and Honoka and Marie since they only came with 2 costumes unlike Nyotengu.

So basically for most the females they just took defaults from DOA5, cut 1 and replaced said cut with 2. Males just strait up get fucked, now every male gets to be a vanilla DOA5 Genfu.

They're really trying to use those added color variations and that sad excuse of a customization mode to mask what they're doing. I'm really interested in just how much of the DOA5 DLC costumes will end up being resold as DLC in the long run, like Dynasty Warriors 7 DLC costumes.

They've been trying to talk about how many costumes they have, but it looks like each costume just has three color variants and they're calling those new costumes.

I knew we would get hit hard in the DLC department, but the question is, how hard. Also, they say that unlocking the costumes is done through using coins that you earn in game, so how will that factor in, and how much will coins cost if/when they choose to sell them?

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
If they're gonna try and sell me on the same doa 5 costumes as dlc in this new game, especially for the horrendous prices they had in the last game, then they can go and shove them up their...

Considering the marketing spiel Koei Tecmo tried to push during the last press tour was essentially they're giving people options while catering to old fans by locking the sexier outfits behind in-game currency, one would hope completing Quest Mode with average scores on each character earns enough coins to at the very least unlock all the costumes in the base game.

At the same time, we're less than a month from release with still no hard info about costume & accessory cost and coin accrual rates. Given past precedent of using DoA5 to sell DLC and the overall messaging around this game, I won't be surprised to see the game's economy noticeably weighted against the player.

I'm kinda glad that Tecmo Koei is keeping with the game formula (mostly).

Dead or Alive has always been a more fanservicey version of Virtua Fighter, and is a pretty good chunk of the serie's identity.

Isa

Oh yeah, someone on Twitter is posting a ton of costumes from the newest build, which includes some costumes that have been verified for the first time. Costumes such as...

You can check out more here

https://twitter.com/DenchuGames

Thanks for these, nice to see 'em in there. I find it funny that they think/thought hiding this stuff away from the press so as to not be the first thing seen would work. Granted its amusing seeing the activists *ahem* I mean journalists get upset over the "misinformation", and I'm highly tempted to get a copy on those merits alone haha!

*Not keen on the bra in Christie's outfit, but at least it looks decent, and I'm glad the base outfits are at least in there somewhere. Didn't figure I'd swing back this way, but I'm leaning towards a purchase, particularly with Koei Tecmo telling Shimbori they need to please the fans of the series or else they'd lose us if they don't deliver what we expect. Not often do publisher's and hell, even devs sometimes, listen to or know what the fans want.

Nah, mariposa, Ayane, kasumi, and Christie are all worse.
Dems fightin' words boy!
857.jpg

bilderberg

Hahahaha I thought that Marie Rose was the most popular of the series :messenger_squinting_tongue:

It's only because if you're into that weird loli shit she's your only option. If 90% of DOA fans like actual women than popularity is going to be divided up among many different characters. Doesn't mean the vast majority of DOA fans don't hate Marie Rose. She nearly ruined the franchise for me and I can't stand to look at her. TN had to have known most would hate her, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Honoka.

I played this series including the Xtreme games with friends and even my sister without shame. My sister had no problems with either series and even borrowed them in the past.

Once upon a time in a superior culture girls saw sexy as cool, not threatening or offensive.

At worst people would kinda laugh or roll their eyes at some of the more ridiculous female characters or costumes but nobody got genuinely offended and nobody wanted to take it away from the people that did like that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Pantz

Some full roster play (only 720p)

All the bits and pieces seem to be in working order.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...ome-costumes-in-the-past-says-shimbori/76809/

Dead or Alive 6 will be toned down compared to Dead or Alive 5: Last Round and Dead or Alive Xtreme, according to director and producer Yohei Shimbori. He explained to French outlet Gameblog.fr in a piece that was published on February 8th, 2019, that the team is being guided by a “moral” principle and therefore they’re reducing the sexiness in the game. This is also the reason why he says that Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet won’t be releasing in Europe or America.

In the interview, Shimbori is asked about why the game will be less sexy than Dead or Alive Xtreme 5: Last Round, and Shimbori responded by saying…

“No. As I told you, it is a real desire on our part to stick to the social criteria to respect to be accepted at present. And unfortunately, too sexy games are no longer accepted today.

“[…] Again, no, it was not our concern. We were just guided by a certain moral sense”

People, DON'T, BUY, THIS, GAME!

Only bad will come from it.

Yup, toned down sexual content + meh graphics = hard pass.

It really it a shame what happened to Dead or Alive, I know 5 has it's fans, but to me the series was never the same without Itagaki and I think now you can safely say it's basically dead.

Last edited:

CatCouch

I've been reading about this new interview on reddit and I honestly think this is the point where I get off the ride. I might go back to my "wait and see if there are sexy Halloween costumes" approach.

No one person has ever truly hurt my enthusiasm for a game more than Shimbori. Even Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite still gave me enough hope it could improve that I bought it. I regret it even with a $20 discount from Amazon.

I like DOA, always have but nothing, and I mean nothing, hurts me more than a creator that won't stand behind their own work.

Even if the game comes out fine my enjoyment is going to be stunted every time Shimbori turns on the fans to look good to whoever questions him. I know he will keep doing this after release. No amount of love for a series can survive this constant flip-flopping.

Shimbori really needed to be telling me why I should pay money for this game. He has not been clear on what the direction for DOA6 is. It seems to be striving for ground between Japanese-sexy and Western-superhero-cool while failing to commit to either. Kasumi's new outfit reminds me of superhero-cool but many of the other costumes look like standard DOA just without the most sexy variations. The guys still have few costumes next to the women which runs counter to his western, esports hopes.

Even if the game comes out fine my enjoyment is going to be stunted every time Shimbori turns on the fans to look good to whoever questions him. I know he will keep doing this after release. No amount of love for a series can survive this constant flip-flopping.

Shimbori really needed to be telling me why I should pay money for this game. He has not been clear on what the direction for DOA6 is. It seems to be striving for ground between Japanese-sexy and Western-superhero-cool while failing to commit to either. Kasumi's new outfit reminds me of superhero-cool but many of the other costumes look like standard DOA just without the most sexy variations. The guys still have few costumes next to the women which runs counter to his western, esports hopes.

Dante83

Banned
DOA6 graphics and animations don't seem very fluid to me. It looks similar to DOA5 in a way, and DOA5 wasn't that impressive to me despite its high poly count on characters. I feel that games like tekken 7 have way more fluid animations and the textures on the characters of tekken 7 is very impressive to me and felt like a big leap over tekken 6/tekken tag 2. DOA6 characters still have this doll-like appearance despite having high poly counts. Animations also feels sort of clunky. Even the backgrounds seem lackluster. Something about those backgrounds and the basic water effects/physics just feels tacky.

Last edited:
I had been thinking of making a post, yesterday, about the GameBlog.fr interview, particularly since it has a section devoted to sexualization, but banging-on about the topic increasingly seems like beating a dead horse.

All the same, I would highlight a specific quote from the interview that is covered in the One Angry Gamer piece, "To be honest, we did a bit too much with some costumes in the past. And this no longer corresponds to the time in which we live. What you saw today [he shows one of Christie's suits, biker, the screenshot of the preview] is the farthest we'll go in terms of sexualization. And it's still very sexy!"

This is the costume Shimbori is referencing :

KwCSbhV.jpg

Whereas last month, the individual covering the game at Twinfinite tweeted that the following costume is included in the game (for clarity, the image is from DoA5):

JU75Onz.jpg

For a full-priced game launching in less than a month, we shouldn't have a situation, where consumers remain uncertain about the content available in the finished build, which is to say nothing about being left with questions on how the title will be handled over time.

A common retort by those defending the game's perceived lack of fanservice is the presumption there will be ample sexy DLC. Koei Tecmo isn't a company known for being generous with the prices of its digital add-ons, leaving one to worry whether the bipolar handling of the base game will creep into whatever does get offered as downloadable content.

Team Ninja will have a stage event at EVO Japan this Thursday starting at 9pm PST. Supposedly they'll be some new info on the game, but considering DoA6 is partially the result of esports, I'd keep expectations in check.

Last edited:

Isa

I really hope Shimbori gets the axe after all this. He's mishandled the messaging since day 1, namely in a way that has damaged trust in a product that fans maintain expectations with each iteration. His flip-flopping on the issues leads to me doing the same with my decision to buy the damn game or not, in a time when we are spoilt for choice. In the end the only things being "toned down" right now are my spending habits. Hopefully they course correct but I'm skeptical.

LMJ

It's really a shame that the developers of this game feel the need to hide the fact that this game has always featured sexy women in sexy outfits (sexy men too, to be fair) and be a good fighter to boot.

I wish they would grow a pair and just look at their critics and say "hey we like this, we want to develop this because our fans like this, and if you don't like it don't buy it".

To paraphrase the Van Zandt song Be Somebody

Sonny if you believe in something stick to your guns no matter what, cause it's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not...

Psajdak

Banned
For a while now I was meaning to get into Ninja Gaiden / Dead or Alive series; I'll probably start as soon as I get myself some nice PVM, since I wish to start from the original games, so it will be some time before I play DOA6...
But, for years I knew about some characters, and a bit of plot, which I think is actually cool.

That being said, I would really recommend anyone not to give up on a game, just because boobs are smaller, no matter the reason, simply because you may miss on good fighting game, in which you could enjoy choosing character and learning their combos, and there may be a lot of other people playing online.

I don't know, I like big breasts too, but it is just the time we live in, maybe in the future things will change, but until then, as far as DOA6 is concerned, try to enjoy it for what it is.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
For a while now I was meaning to get into Ninja Gaiden / Dead or Alive series; I'll probably start as soon as I get myself some nice PVM, since I wish to start from the original games, so it will be some time before I play DOA6...
But, for years I knew about some characters, and a bit of plot, which I think is actually cool.

That being said, I would really recommend anyone not to give up on a game, just because boobs are smaller, no matter the reason, simply because you may miss on good fighting game, in which you could enjoy choosing character and learning their combos, and there may be a lot of other people playing online.

I don't know, I like big breasts too, but it is just the time we live in, maybe in the future things will change, but until then, as far as DOA6 is concerned, try to enjoy it for what it is.

Or vote with our wallets, push those companies that hate their consumers to the side and push our products to the top.

This works as well.

Isa

I think most of people will still buy this game, despite surgery thing.
Time will tell, but I disagree. For a relatively niche series, in an age where consumer awareness is greater than ever, word of mouth and consumer opinion can be hugely influential.

I refuse to capitulate on the issue. Its the principle of the thing, and not just about the breast size but outfits, physics, and suggestive poses. Its among the pillars the series was founded on. I know what the game entails, and have no desire to play online, just with my significant other and close friends. The combos are great and very little has changed over the last few titles combo-wise. I have no FOMO (fear of missing out) and hope Koei Tecmo learns from this experience.

Its kinda crazy looking back, but jeez I've bought nearly every game they've released lol. Old engines and assets be damned I find their games fun. Currently hooked on Nioh right now and finally unlocked Fuku to play as. Love rockin' my Onmyo babe.

I've been reading about this new interview on reddit and I honestly think this is the point where I get off the ride. I might go back to my "wait and see if there are sexy Halloween costumes" approach.

No one person has ever truly hurt my enthusiasm for a game more than Shimbori. Even Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite still gave me enough hope it could improve that I bought it. I regret it even with a $20 discount from Amazon.

I like DOA, always have but nothing, and I mean nothing, hurts me more than a creator that won't stand behind their own work.

It's so pathetic, the shrill feminists types still wouldn't touch the game even in it's toned down state, so all he's doing is alienating the fans, resulting in a game that will please no one.

Japanese devs feeling like they have to kiss western feminists' ass is a special kind of sad and pathetic, hopefully it's a trend that won't continue.

It's so pathetic, the shrill feminists types still wouldn't touch the game even in it's toned down state, so all he's doing is alienating the fans, resulting in a game that will please no one.

Japanese devs feeling like they have to kiss western feminists' ass is a special kind of sad and pathetic, hopefully it's a trend that won't continue.
YyPZeOh.jpg
When this content is selling 3.5 million plus, yet there content isn't, reality will force a trend change, and probably a few firings.

kunonabi

There are plenty of better fighters out there I can play. If DoA doesnt want to be DoA that's thier business and I'l take mine elsewhere

Isa

Reminds me of that Toshihiro Nagoshi (Yakuza Director) interview, regarding the younger and female audience and unexpected series boom in the west.
Among my favorite choice lines " We want the Yakuza boom to continue growing, but we also want to respect the fans who have been there since the beginning. If we try and shift our formula to fit a new audience, Yakuza won’t be the game we set out to make. It’s hard to adapt and stay truthful at the same time, but all this is a good kind of stress to have."

I wish more people had this level of integrity and respect for their core audience instead of chasing trends and money.

There are plenty of better fighters out there I can play. If DoA doesnt want to be DoA that's thier business and I'l take mine elsewhere
YyPZeOh.jpg
5DiZc7N.jpg
zyRv8oK.jpg
CEI1YrY.png
1VKjMvI.png
chun-li-in-battle-dress.jpg
If DOA doesn't want to be DOA you only have every other Japanese fighting game to choose from. Good job Shimbori and Koei Tecmo! :messenger_unamused:

CatCouch

YyPZeOh.jpg
5DiZc7N.jpg
zyRv8oK.jpg
CEI1YrY.png
1VKjMvI.png
chun-li-in-battle-dress.jpg
If DOA doesn't want to be DOA you only have every other Japanese fighting game to choose from. Good job Shimbori and Koei Tecmo! :messenger_unamused:
I find it funny that all these Teen rated games are okay but sexy in an M rated game is over ther line and no longer acceptable. Shimbori's lack of faith in foundational pillars of DOA has done more damage than any writer complaining ever could.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...re-orders-than-dead-or-alive-6-on-comg/76853/

As of February 13th, 2019, Japanese gaming outlet COMG!, has a listing for the top pre-orders for games set to release soon. It should come as no one’s surprise that Dead or Alive 3: Scarlet actually has higher pre-orders for the PS4than Dead or Alive 6.

If you check the pre-order page you’ll see that at the very top of the list is Devil May Cry 5 from Capcom. Further down the list in 12th place is Dead or Alive 3: Scarlet, and further down in 18th place is Dead or Alive 6.

dansgMq.png

Also guys don't sleep on Jump force, its a really fun game. this time the gameplay is actually great unlike j-stars and the game looks stunning in 4K and if you like fanservice there is bikini and other sexy outfits day one in the base game.
Oh i almost forgot, there is also a boob slider :messenger_grinning_squinting:

What would be interesting to know is where the normal editions of DoA6 & DoAX3S rank on COMG!, as both versions in the list are the collector's editions.

On the other hand, the basic version of DoA6 & the basic collector's edition (costume bundle + Phase 4) are outranking all versions of DoAX3S on Amazon Japan, although neither game nor any of their iterations are currently in the website's Top 100. Of course, the audience for DoAX3S will see a more significant split between PS4 & Switch, whereas the only place people will be buying DoA6 in Japan is on the PS4; after the first couple of weeks, I'll be curious to see both game's total sales figures.

Last edited:
I think most of people will still buy this game, despite surgery thing.

I’m actually hoping that is the case. I don’t the condone censorship or toning things down, but I’m hoping this game sell well enough to warrant a sequel eventually. Fighting games are already very niche as it is and there has mostly been negativity surrounding doa6 with its controversial “adapting to Western tastes” scenario. I would just hate to see another of the few genuinely good 3D fighters die because of these issues going on. Mortal Kombat 11 on the horizon isn’t exactly helping things out either.

Last edited:

Psajdak

Banned
Yeah, no matter how one looks at it, it would be a shame for any series to just die, especially long running like DoA.
It reminds me of how Suikoden, or Dino Crisis were just abandoned, when they held so much potential.

Btw, I don't doubt there will be more than enough rule34 edits as soon as game is out, for those who desire sexier stuff.

Top Bottom