• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 - Jiggle Physics Are Back!

Madflavor

Ok jiggle physics are back, but the breasts still look downgraded. I just can't make sense of their strategy. Dead or Alive will NEVER be taken seriously as fighting game, nevermind having a chance at getting a spot at EVO. It's not even on their radar. You don't just make 5 Core Entries and 3 Volleyball spinoffs, and then in you 6th game you're all of a sudden like "Oh we're for real no guys. Take us serious."

The fighting genre in general is fairly niche these days. They aren't as popular as they used to be. For a game like Dead or Alive, you NEED to rely on your core fanbase to keep you afloat. So why turn your back on them, boggles my mind. If I want to play a serious 3D fighter, I'll go play the ones who do it better. If I want to play an over the top fanservice heavy fighting game, DoA is where it's at. But as of right now, Soul Calibur VI seems to be filling both roles of being a good fighting game and giving lots of fanservice. I can't see this game being anything more than a flop.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with DoA, and there's nothing wrong with being heavy on fanservice. As long as you own what you are. I've always enjoyed the DoA games, but I think I'm gonna skip DoA6.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to get beat up for this, but I will NEVER understand when people say they cannot take doa as a serious fighter, yet they consider smash bros a legitimate fighter at tournaments.

I’m probably going to get beat up for this, but I will NEVER understand when people say they cannot take doa as a serious fighter, yet they consider smash bros a legitimate fighter at tournaments.
I don't think even they know why they can't take it seriously. Most seem to be just repeating what they heard without even trying it themselves as they just repeat the same thing over and over even when called out on it.

Vlaphor

Everyone is going to have their own definition of what a "legitimate" fighter is. Back in the early to mid 90's, I knew people who refused to consider 3d fighting games, fighting games, insisting they were their own genre.

Smash definitely does feel different than any other fighter out there though, considering it's the only fighter I know of where the end goal isn't "drain opponents life bar (other than Thrill Kill...).

CD'S BAR

I'm still hopeful for this. Desexualization sucks but I can deal since I'm fond of the more realistic look; I think the girls look better than ever. What will deter me from purchasing is paywall shit. I guess I'm spoiled since my first and only purchase of Doa5 was Final Round, which had a bunch of free unlockable content, but please none of this bullshit that SF5 and MVCI pulled.

Last edited:
I don't think even they know why they can't take it seriously. Most seem to be just repeating what they heard without even trying it themselves as they just repeat the same thing over and over even when called out on it.

Most likely. I’ve noticed most people who claimed or think doa is a button masher or shallow seemingly aren’t that good at the game at least to my experience. When they know how to play though, they normally claim otherwise.

MayauMiao

I think DOA fighting mechanic just look uninteresting. It move sets lacks the flash or originality, and also too fast for anyone to notice anything. Maybe that's why the game attracts less viewers and players. Anyway that's just my opinion.

I think DOA fighting mechanic just look uninteresting. It move sets lacks the flash or originality, and also too fast for anyone to notice anything. Maybe that's why the game attracts less viewers and players. Anyway that's just my opinion.

The speed of the game can be a turn off. I like this observation. The fact that the game doesn't market a tangible narrative is also a negative compared to its competitors.

Dontero

Banned
Yes, I don't know why there can't be a fighting franchise that's for fun and not hardcore EVO players.

So much this. Since tekken 3 this is basically my goto fighting game. Evo people are just single % minority. Most of people just want fun, innovative fighting game instead of boring min-max hell like every other game.
I am yet to see other games coming close to fun of couter mechanics in Dead or Alive. It is so fucking satysfying to see peopel fighting with eatch other catching all over the place, baiting etc. without much skill and yet it looks fun as hell.

My only gripe is that they still focus on arcade gaming. I hope they could add mode where i can make my own fighter, train him, give him moves etc. Add to that some sort of campaign mode based around championship much like fifa games where from start i am not expected to win everything, mini cutscenes much like persona from life of those fighters and this is something i could spend hours upon hours on isntead of few hours every few weeks.

kunonabi

Most competitive players that skip out on DOA just dont like being to able to counter out of hitstun. It's just too unappealing for serious competition for a lot of people. All these superficial changes arent going to bring these people in on a long term basis since it's the very core of the game that turns people off.

Most competitive players that skip out on DOA just dont like being to able to counter out of hitstun. It's just too unappealing for serious competition for a lot of people. All these superficial changes arent going to bring these people in on a long term basis since it's the very core of the game that turns people off.

Interesting theory. I'd argue if you make the product interesting enough from a casual standpoint it really wouldn't matter whether the game is taken seriously competitively. Injustice is not near as deep as DOA and it does just fine. DOA has a marketing problem. I've played 4 out of the 5 games in the series and I haven't a clue about the characters or their stories. I don't have this problem with other fighters.

DOA has a casuals problem too.

Last edited:

Honestly, I think the countering out of hitstun can be rectified if the developers maybe have it take up a meter on the super bar or something severely limiting the amount of times you can counter when in hitstun. It would resemble a combo breaker or guilty gear style burst move. They could also reduce the damage of combos since the hitstun counter would be limited.

Besides that, I think the countering system is fine and even fun. It can even create unique and exciting matches that distinguish it from other fighting games. It was toned down in doa5 where your timing had to be more precise at least.

Interesting theory. I'd argue if you make the product interesting enough from a casual standpoint it really wouldn't matter whether the game is taken seriously competitively. Injustice is not near as deep as DOA and it does just fine. DOA has a marketing problem. I've played 4 out of the 5 games in the series and I haven't a clue about the characters or their stories. I don't have this problem with other fighters.

DOA has a casuals problem too.

This is a problem a lot of fighting games have where the stories are vague at best and nonsensical at worst.

Soul Calibur is one of the worst examples, I've played every game since 2 and yet I have no idea what's going on other than it involves a magical sword.

DOA isn't quite as bad but it's still very, very vague, all I know is it involves an evil corporation hosting a fighting tournament.

The Street Fighter games are probably the one fighting game franchise where the story is the most clear and makes the most sense, save for III however, which is vague, but anything involving Bison is pretty clear and concise.

bilderberg

Was their a turning point when DOA wasn't taken seriously? DOA3 and Ultimate were pretty damn big from what I can remember. Maybe they weren't taken seriously either, but it didn't stop them from being hugely popular.

Vlaphor

Was their a turning point when DOA wasn't taken seriously? DOA3 and Ultimate were pretty damn big from what I can remember. Maybe they weren't taken seriously either, but it didn't stop them from being hugely popular.

DOA5 was fairly huge. The only thing I can think of is that they want Netherrealm numbers, where their last four fighting games sold over 8 million units each. That's not going to happen under any circumstance, but i can't think of anything else.

Maybe they just mean in terms of public perception, which would be foolish to go for.

This is a problem a lot of fighting games have where the stories are vague at best and nonsensical at worst.

Soul Calibur is one of the worst examples, I've played every game since 2 and yet I have no idea what's going on other than it involves a magical sword.

DOA isn't quite as bad but it's still very, very vague, all I know is it involves an evil corporation hosting a fighting tournament.

The Street Fighter games are probably the one fighting game franchise where the story is the most clear and makes the most sense, save for III however, which is vague, but anything involving Bison is pretty clear and concise.

Street Fighter actually has a good story, as long as you don't get it from the games. The Udon comic book series is fantastic.

The only part of Soul Calibur's story that I care about is how it gets Ivy to me. Everything else is side content.

DOA tried too hard storywise in 5, doing events out of order and everything. It's sexy ladies fighting, with some guys in the background. There, there's your story.

Last edited:

CatCouch

That's way more jiggle than I thought would be.

I'm so confused by the way this game is being marketed. On one hand there's all these interviews telling me sex appeal is toned down and it had to go due to world trends, esports or whatever and on the other I see big bouncing boobs...

Now I want to know if places like IGN are going to insult the game since they initially told me this wasn't in it while praising TN for toning it down. I wonder if this will alienate the new people who were happy the game was toned down? The comments on the tweet sure show a lot of disdain at the fans who like jiggle. DOA6 could end up in a no win situation by creating a split fan base of people who hate each other, lol~

Thats more boob jiggle than I'd use, but its nice to know its there.
Its not about the jiggle though. The girls need to show some skin, before I can be confident this game will deliver with the sex appeal.

People always poked fun at the fanservice but DOA was absolutely taken seriously as a fighter back in the day.

Maybe not as seriously as something like Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur, but still pretty seriously.

Vlaphor

First off, hell yes

Secondly, it still looks like Honoka got a bit of a boob downgrade, though I'll have to wait till I see her in something skimpier.

Third, I'll echo the sentiment that I have no idea what is going on with this game and what they want to do with it.

Also, from this video here

it looks like the sweat tech is decent and the movable camera after wins/loss is still intact.

Still don't know what to think about this game per se, but I am starting to believe more. Now we just wait to see what the Western side of Tecmo Koei says.

Edit-now that I've looked at it for longer, it looks kinda weird. DOA5 had well done boob bounce, especially after they went to the soft engine. This just kind of looks hacked in. Oh well, the game is still in development.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I like the new look and all, but it feels similar to DOA5 in terms of animations and lower camera angles when you fall off a ledge and land. I prefer the DOA3 style camera angles when you land from a big ass fall. It feels more natural and better implemented. Other than that, it looks very fun. Let's hope there are more characters and stages at launch.
I hope the presentation is top notch as well. Who can remember this awesome intro to DOA3? I still remember it like it was yesterday because the presentation was amazing!

Last edited:

Vlaphor

People always poked fun at the fanservice but DOA was absolutely taken seriously as a fighter back in the day.

Maybe not as seriously as something like Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur, but still pretty seriously.

The public has always taken DOA seriously as a fighter, but the esports crowd has always eschewed it in favor of games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Virtua Fighter. This certainly wasn't going to change any time soon, so I'm glad to see that they are at least bringing this game back to the right path of being for the rest of us.

The public has always taken DOA seriously as a fighter, but the esports crowd has always eschewed it in favor of games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Virtua Fighter. This certainly wasn't going to change any time soon, so I'm glad to see that they are at least bringing this game back to the right path of being for the rest of us.

You really blow me away with your well informed views and opinions. :messenger_winking:

Vlaphor

DOA3X doesn't even have that much jiggle. >.>

That's one of the reasons why it looks better on DOAX3. Not only does the bounce looks more like realistic exaggerated bouncing, but each titty has some of their own physics (though not to the same degree as DOAX2 thankfully...that boobs in that game look like they're trying to escape). DOA6 bouncing looks like if DOA1 bouncing was brought into the modern era.

Pantz

I'm sold. I kinda like how different armors and outfits have different jiggle factors, that's next-gen jiggle.

Vlaphor

I'm sold. I kinda like how different armors and outfits have different jiggle factors, that's next-gen jiggle.

That just tells me that the best jiggle stuff is going to be paid dlc....which I'll probably buy. I've certainly bought DOA5 dlc enough times.

Ulysses 31

That just tells me that the best jiggle stuff is going to be paid dlc....which I'll probably buy. I've certainly bought DOA5 dlc enough times.
You think they'll put the Venus/Fortune swimsuits in DOA6? Where they officially in DOA5? >.>

Last edited:
Maybe the extra bounce is exclusive to honoka or it varies depending on what they wear? Honestly, I think they implemented a bounce slider in the game or something. Not complaining.......

Vlaphor

You think they'll have the Venus/Fortune swimsuits in DOA6? Where they officially in DOA5? >.>

I don't believe so. The fact is, I've modded my DOA5 to the point that I can't recall what was and was not officially in the game.

I know this costume

1AdLAbe.gif

ovgyMQm.gif

was in the game. Odds are, something like this would be paid dlc if they even had it (though I think it might have been paid dlc in DOA5 as well, can't remember). Truth be told, I'm still confused about which direction the game is taking. I want what I posted, but with better graphics, they're now offering smaller boobs and weird bounce.

I guess all we can do is wait at this point.

To prove my point about the bounce, look at how the boobs not only move up and down, but left and right in response to her arm movements. That makes all the difference in the world.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Well, cmon. Would you rather have either

A:

7KBSTfd.gif

W51zrO4.gif

hhrpgc9.gif

or

B:

k8HXeCh.gif

BTW, if the answer is B, then come on in, have a seat, tell me what you're doing here...

Well, I really shouldn't OK. Here's some Tina goodness, with some mods applied near the end (may be slightly NSFW)

nzZjfmx.jpg

ptzfbJt.jpg

tShGTBa.jpg

EuJvlGc.png

WvGJgr5.png

Mods really have made the PC version of DOA5 so damn good. They're the one bit of hope in me for DOA6.
I regret nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

kunonabi

Nice to some decent bounce remain but as long as everybody is still getting breast reductions I'm still not going to bother.

Vlaphor

Nice to some decent bounce remain but as long as everybody is still getting breast reductions I'm still not going to bother.

I'll repeat what I've said in the past, and this is more true now that bounce will be part of the engine, but it still looks like this game will reach it's true potential with mods on PC.

Mochilador

I like the new look and all, but it feels similar to DOA5 in terms of animations and lower camera angles when you fall off a ledge and land. I prefer the DOA3 style camera angles when you land from a big ass fall. It feels more natural and better implemented. Other than that, it looks very fun. Let's hope there are more characters and stages at launch.
I hope the presentation is top notch as well. Who can remember this awesome intro to DOA3? I still remember it like it was yesterday because the presentation was amazing!

DOA2 opening is still king:

Vlaphor

One more cool thing that they officially pointed out was that you can turn off battle damage and bruising and such.

That's not quite what I'm into, at least not for the DOA girls.

Vlaphor

A couple of things from TGS. They confirmed that NyoTengu will be part of the story. Whether or not she will be a pre-order bonus still seems somewhat unclear.

Also, there will be a new trailer tomorrow.

Breakage

It doesn't look that much better than DoA5. I mean just look at those environment textures in that "breast jiggle" clip. The game has a strange washed out look.

Vlaphor

So any more words about sex appeal or not? Boy this game's marketing was really confusing.

They showed some new gameplay today, but it was just three fights, and the only female there was Honoka, who looked pretty much the same as in the clip above. There will be a new trailer tomorrow, hopefully we will get some new character reveals.

They also did show off a new costume for Honoka

KdjPqkq.jpg

So any more words about sex appeal or not? Boy this game's marketing was really confusing.

I feel like the current issue is far better breast physics, something which Team Ninja has already done in previous titles, so it's odd unless it's a comedic toggle. I also get diversifying the breast sizes a bit, but it mostly seems to be just blatant turning down instead. But yeah the marketing is all over the place, which is pretty bad. Settle for a segment you're going to market towards and stick to it. I feel like due to all of this the focus on the game itself and its value is getting lost. They should aim at producing varied single player content and focusing on storylines, like Tekken 3 or Tobal No.1 or Mortal Kombat 9. How about a Tekken Ball like mode?

Kreydo

Female characters are dressed back to show less skin but male characters are still half naked and even more sexualized with huge cleavage, leather etc.
All the girls breast lost one or two cup size (they have been deflated because women doesn't have big breast in real life...) Meanwhile their absurd and unrealistic breast "physics" is back, make sense? oh wait no.
I saw modders doing a far better jobs than KT dev team, Honoka jiggle throught her clothe is so poorly executioned. Same for the 'sweaty' effect with girl looking like they just took a oil bath.
To nail the coffin let's talk about how badly they use the lighting of the UE4 engine, with everything looking blank and washed out.

I'm sorry for the DoA fans, but it was so tempting for Koei/Tecmo to not reuse those 2011 asset and to make fans pay twice again for all those costume...
Guys be smart don't buy it, send a message.

Vlaphor

A quick little comparison I made.

Here's Kasumi's lose pose in DOA5 for the PC with the white outfit and max sweat/moisture

RightIllHylaeosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Here's Kasumi's lose pose in DOA6 with the same costume

FilthySecondhandFieldspaniel-size_restricted.gif

The video quality is a bit different since the I made the DOA5 video running it at 4k and the DOA6 clip is from Youtube.

Also, I should point out that the DOA5 clip is from the perspective of the loser and the DOA6 clip is from the perspective of the winner, so the camera isn't as close as it could be.

Last edited:
A couple of things from TGS. They confirmed that NyoTengu will be part of the story. Whether or not she will be a pre-order bonus still seems somewhat unclear.

Also, there will be a new trailer tomorrow.
Hopefully it's like Dragonball FighterZ and pre-order is just instant access to a unlockable characters. It's bad enough making a popular character a pre-order/day 1 DLC (that was DLC in the last game), it's even worse if it's an actual in game character you can't access despite them being there.

Actually they have been charging for NPC's in Warriors so she probably is DLC only despite being on the disc and in story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom