• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising being remastered for PS4/XBO/PC, DR2 and OTR to PS4/XBO

Justinh

The achievements are not the same. There is a 3 day survivor in addition to the 5 and 7 day survivor achievements.
Also the achievement pics are different. Original Dead Rising just had character faces as achievement pics.

Ah, you're right about the pics.

Don't know what you're talking about otherwise, though. A 3 day achievement exists.

Grief.exe

Some of those achievements are just absurd.

Zombie Genocider requires you drive around in the underground parking lot for about an hour to get all of the kills required.

Rescue 50 survivors, try on all the clothing, spend 24 hours indoors, spend 24 hours outdoors. These are the definition of busy work.

Kuraudo

Banned
Why are people proposing taking out the timer? Regardless of whether or not you feel it detracts from your enjoyment, the narrative progression is competely structured around it. It would require rethinking the whole game from scratch to remove it, which is more work than anyone is likely to do for any remaster.

ref

Why are people proposing taking out the timer? Regardless of whether or not you feel it detracts from your enjoyment, the narrative progression is competely structured around it. It would require rethinking the whole game from scratch to remove it, which is more work than anyone is likely to do for any remaster.

This.

I love this news, OG Dead Rising is one of my favourite games ever, has a great atmosphere that the other Dead Rising games didn't capture nearly as well.

I look forward to the suffering trying to get Saint/Transmissionary achievements finally.

Justinh

I look forward to the suffering trying to get Saint/Transmissionary achievements finally.
Oh Gawwd...
I'm going to try this again in a few days. I'm not looking forward to getting the Saint achievement (50 survivors saved). I looked up a guide for last time, and I started out way ahead of schedule, but then it all falls apart at like... night 2. (it's a fat cup of piss)

DAMN, fantastic news. Day 1 for sure. I just hope this comes out soon though.

They should keep the timer in, because that's what the game was designed for. But if people even on neogaf are complaining about it, they should probably offer a casual mode so that the game can appeal to a wider audience.

Wow, awesome - the only DR I haven't played. I guess this means DR4 is coming later as well. I mean, why else would this exist on PS4?

Shin-Ra

It's been so long, did Frank have a higher quality model in cutscenes?

38L63f312.png
41Lcf5e2e.png

Grief.exe

Wow, awesome - the only DR I haven't played. I guess this means DR4 is coming later as well. I mean, why else would this exist on PS4?

Please Capcom overlords, bring this to PC!

Likely exists on all three platforms, just happened to leak on PS4.

DAMN, fantastic news. Day 1 for sure. I just hope this comes out soon though.

They should keep the timer in, because that's what the game was designed for. But if people even on neogaf are complaining about it, they should probably offer a casual mode so that the game can appeal to a wider audience.

That might actually end up being too expensive to justify, as the timer is linked into every aspect of the game.

Yeah, I remember they were very clear at E3 at an interview with I think IGN: it's not a reboot/not a remake/a straight-up sequel. Supposedly it takes place 1 year after DR3, so that might still be canon.
I hope so. It was a great game. Best launch game this generation.

edit: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/06/13/dead-rising-4-developer-interview-ign-live-e3-2016
@ about 2:17

*whew*

So guessing Frank probably got his act together, lost weight and all that good stuff

Raitaro

Maybe they could add a timer-less mode where one can just roam around and mess with the zombies?

Weirder bonus modes have happened.

(And yes, I originally was also put off by the timer - which always give me anxiety - and as such never managed to make the jump into this series...)

Corpekata

Banned
This makes sense as a multiplatform release, Wbacon has been teasing some more cool stuff since Dragon's Dogma. Granted, that was for PC releases but I don't think he said anything about PC specific so I wonder if this was one of the games he was talking about.

Will be good to get it on modern digital platforms either way.

I felt like the core gameplay of Dead Rising was avoiding the zombies as much as you can, they are mostly there to slow you down against the timer. I love this game so much, but they messed around with the formula too much with the sequels, especially 3 and now 4.

sikkinixx

Frankly (ha) I'd like just a free roam mode. Open up the mall, unlimited time, let me change the time of day or whatever in the pause menu etc etc just to let me fuck around. The actual game can stay with the timer and annoying save system so the militant people here on GAF won't shit their pants.

Grief.exe

Frankly (ha) I'd like just a free roam mode. Open up the mall, unlimited time, let me change the time of day or whatever in the pause menu etc etc just to let me fuck around. The actual game can stay with the timer and annoying save system so the militant people here on GAF won't shit their pants.

Well, there is infinity mode, but that makes the game more difficult which seems to run against most people would prefer when removing the timer.

I don't oppose a fully free form and lenient sandbox side mode being available but I don't understand why wanting the game to not be fucked with is "militant". Asking for the timers to be removed in Dead Rising 1 is the same as asking for Mario games to release with the ability to fly around the stage at all times like Kirby or something. Games are built with their restrictions in mind.

That said I am sure someone will release a trainer for the PC version to halt the clock so the people who are forever angry about having consequences to their actions and failures will have an avenue to get around it.

I hope this turn out to be true!!! I loved the first Dead Rising game, one of the best games I played last gen. And I liked the timer, it gave the sense of you actually having 72 hours to figure out the truth of what was going on, save as many survivors as you could and kill the occasional psychopath. And it encouraged multiple playthroughs for the different endings.

really hope this opens the door for a PC release too

I was certain once DR4 was revealed to return to Willamette that Capcom wouldn't re-release the original any time soon.

Forsythia

As long as they release it on PC and Xbox One also, I'll be happy. Hell, I'd be happy with the game being BC on Xbox One.

Take the Heavy Machinegun. IIRC they don't spawn if you have it
This is 100% true.

The folk getting mad at the suggestion that the timer be removed remind me of the anti-easy mode folk for Souls games.

I don't see why having options is bad for the consumer. I don't care either way but this is the same attitude that "git gud" comes from. I mean, who cares if someone doesn't want to play with a timer?

EDIT: I have opinion, therefore I am dumb and stupid, so shout me down.
Because playing without the timer was already an option and furthermore, it would break the game. It's obnoxious how obtuse so many anti-timer people are; the aforementioned isn't hard to comprehend.

i dunno, i'm getting pretty sick of his reaction in every cutscene being "YOU'RE... A MURRRDERRRERRRRRR! YOU JUST... KILLLEED THAT GUYYYYY!"

like he'd be fun if he was with Frank or Chuck, that'd be interesting
Never mind him being on the verge of crying over killing a zombie during the intro. What a tone-deaf game.

Notmally I'd just not post but in defence of those saying 'remove the timer'. The 'Overall' timer was, admittedly, the least of this game's problems.

The simultaneous mission clocks were far worse. Then you had walk-in boss fights, a single save slot, weapons breaking far too soon, TRAVERSAL items breaking, health restore items too scattered, useless NPC AI, a Gamecube control RE4 scheme on a 360 pad, scarce firearms and fucking Otis.

Add all of that to the Overall timer, however, and it's obvious why they don't like it.

It's the most frustratingly designed game I've ever played.
- Walk-in boss fights were usually given a head's up by Otis' calls and the way active missions were described in the map menu.
- Weapons would last a long time if you picked up the right magazines.
- Traversal items breaking is a non-issue since the game placed zombie waves in such a way that you'd have ample room to weave through them...
- Until Day 3, but if you made it that far, you're likely already faster than the skateboard on foot thanks to the speed upgrades.
- Health items were in fact plentiful if you knew of the hidden produce tucked away in specific locations (see: punching trees in the courtyard) or inside boxes / garbage cans.
- Scarce firearms were a good thing with how powerful they were, plus earning access to the gun shop made for interesting routing / prioritizing.
- Plus if they were available in abundance, the zombies wouldn't pose a threat nor would you be encouraged to pick up various weapons as evidenced by Dead Rising 3.

Frustrations about the A.I. and Otis I could understand, same with the over-the-shoulder controls if you didn't change the camera aim in the Options menu, but everything else has already been taken into consideration one way or the other by the developers with the very nature of Dead Rising's overall structure.

El Jaffe

I'm not sure whether or not I'd prefer the timer. I did enjoy when I was successful in being able to do everything, but also remember the game gave me anxiety real bad, probably the most I've gotten from a video game.

Not wanting a timer =/= not wanting the game to be difficult

Please stop with the bullshit strawman

The way dead rising is designed, if the timer is the only thing changed, it would infact make the game easier. Saving people, choosing encounters without worrying about the limits. Traversal becomes a non issue because even getting from point A-B has becomes more serious depending on path chosen simply because of the timer.

To call it a bullshit strawman is completely ignorant of how the game works. So unless you are saying remove timer while adding another restriction that doesn't break the inherent difficulty in the game then you would have a point. But that doesn't seem like that is what people are saying exactly.

Edit: I see I am not alone in that simple observation

Because playing without the timer was already an option and furthermore, it would break the game. It's obnoxious how obtuse so many anti-timer people are; the aforementioned isn't hard to comprehend.

Grief.exe

Not wanting a timer =/= not wanting the game to be difficult

Please stop with the bullshit strawman

Seem to go along with a lot of the arguments I have seen in the thread, as they go hand in hand.

If you don't want the timer and you find difficulty increases irrelevant, then why complain about the timer? Capcom has, apparently, provided a game mode.

Chinner

Banned
The way dead rising is designed, if the timer is the only thing changed, it would infact make the game easier. Saving people, choosing encounters without worrying about the limits. Traversal becomes a non issue because even getting from point A-B has becomes more serious depending on path chosen simply because of the timer.

To call it a bullshit strawman is completely ignorant of how the game works. So unless you are saying remove timer while adding another restriction that doesn't break the inherent difficulty in the game then you would have a point. But that doesn't seem like that is what people are saying exactly.

Edit: I see I am not alone in that simple observation
Good post. It's a shame that Dead Rising has been hijacked by gamers who want generic zombie warrior #79 instead of what it was.

Infinity Mode in the first game was a perma-death mode without the ability to save, so it doesn't really satisfy the requests for people that want a sandbox mode. It'd be nice if Capcom recreated Off the Record's sandbox mode for this port.

Nonetheless, the complaints about the timer annoy me because it's caused Capcom to completely change the series into a mindless zombie hack-n-slash when it actually had a fair degree of challenge beforehand (ignoring the objectively awful survivor AI, of course).

It's just a trophy site man... as if they would know before anybody else. I highly doubt Capcom would bother.

But that being said, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Best game in the series. I remember watching the original "Dead Rising (working title)" trailer came out and being so hyped for the game. Then playing that huge demo (for back then). Oh man, such a good game.

Also those people saying to get rid of the timer; Lol come on, that's part of the game. The game isn't very long and though it's confronting the first playthrough having all that stuff to do on a timer, if you learn the time table of events and balance your time it's super easy to complete everything.

Shin-Ra

It's just a trophy site man... as if they would know before anybody else. I highly doubt Capcom would bother.

But that being said, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Best game in the series.
Multiple trophy sites that have no reason to create new trophy icons for a not-so-high profile game.

RootCause

Seem to go along with a lot of the arguments I have seen in the thread, as they go hand in hand.

If you don't want the timer and you find difficulty increases irrelevant, then why complain about the timer? Capcom has, apparently, provided a game mode.
You do know that Heath depletes in that mode right? Essentially acting like a timer, I feel like some didn't bother with it.

That mode would've been great if it weren't for the dropping health.

You do know that Heath depletes in that mode right? Essentially acting like a timer, I feel like some didn't bother with it.

the health loss was fine, the real issue is that there was no way to save. With no way to save, you can only get the mode-specific achievements by leaving your 360 on for half a day.

Keep in mind this was at the beginning of the 360's life, when the RRoD was becoming a thing. It was an absurd design decision. Capcom could've solved it (and maybe they will) by adding a quick save that deletes when you boot it up, so you can't save-scum.

Grief.exe

But that being said, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Best game in the series.

Also those people saying to get rid of the timer; Lol. The game isn't very long and though it's confronting at first having all that stuff to do on a timer, if you learn the time table of events and balance your time it's super easy to complete everything.

Where do they get the data though? Do they parse from PSN like with the various Steam databases that parse from Valve APIs?

Exophase has to get that data from somewhere, all of those icons have new screenshots associated with that that seem oddly specific.

143670.png
143692.png
]
143693.png

143696.png
143697.png
143698.png

Apparently you can't save in that mode either, making it further unviable for those that want a sandbox.

Top Bottom