• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Sony, Please Release a Less-Limited Version of the PS1-Themed PS4

Occam

#ForTheScalpers

Selling only 12,300 of the 20th anniversary PS4 console is a disservice to millions of your loyal PlayStation fans. Those who are lucky enough to get one will make a killing by reselling it, while the vast majority of those who really want one are going to miss out.

The way you are handling this is going to make MANY people unhappy. Surely that can't be your intention?

How about a non-numbered edition which could be offered for a limited time?

Yours,
Occam

B363VldCMAAYg13.jpg:large

sn00zer

I saw that last night and was wondering how they are going to sell them. I really want to get one, but idk if it's only going to be for attendees or sold half online and half in person.

Lottery system, but yeah these things are going to hit ebay the second they are bought....and who wouldnt honestly?
EDIT: The controller on the other hand...just making it something dumb like a Sony store exclusive or something

Deft Beck

Third party accessory companies will make console and controller skins to resemble the limited edition PS4, if the market demands it.

SerTapTap

SERIOUSLY. Especially since it's 12k world-wide, it's going to be GONE. There are way more than 12k hardcore (or even midcore) PS fans that would love that thing. Make a big fancy deal of the 12k super limited ones, and make a far less limited SKU.

Edmund Mcmillen did similar with his Binding of Isaac tarot cards, first print was limited, numbered and signed by Ed, any later prints aren't signed or numbered. As the owner of a signed box, I'm totally happy with that situation and wish more "limited" things were like that. I like shiny limited fancy things, but more generally I would prefer that everyone were able to buy the cool shit they want to own for a reasonable price.

Still going to watch PSX (actually going is, unsurprisingly, unfeasible for me) and see if I can't nab one of these, but I'm doubting it.

Third party accessory companies will make console and controller skins to resemble the limited edition PS4, if the market demands it.

Can't legally use the PS logo (unsure if you can even use the iconic face button marks without a license from Sony, lots of third parties have fakeass substitutes), and on the controller a skin isn't as acceptable.

Eggbok

Selling only 12,300 of the 20th anniversary PS4 console is a disservice to millions of your loyal PlayStation fans. Those who are lucky enough to get one will make a killing by reselling it, while the vast majority of those who really want one are going to miss out.

The way you are handling this is going to make MANY people unhappy. Surely that can't be your intention?

How about a non-numbered edition which could be offered for a limited time?

Yours,
Occam

This right here.

Kyoufu

Lottery system, but yeah these things are going to hit ebay the second they are bought....and who wouldnt honestly?
EDIT: The controller on the other hand...just making it something dumb like a Sony store exclusive or something

I'd actually keep it and use it, but I suspect I'm the minority.

That dude that made the PS4 hard drive covers with the PS1/PS2 mock-ups was a genius, I'd take a freakin fancy hard drive cover even. But I agree, being able to get one of these limited systems easily at a store would be great too.
I bought 5 Xbox 360s last gen(due to failure), and if my PS4 dies I'll just go buy another one too. Hopefully there'll be gray ones easily available by then.

edit-THIS ONE!
YmQsKCz.jpg

I'm fine with the console being limited, most of the people who'd want a PS1-themed PS4 probably already own a PS4. However, I'd love for that controller to be sold separately.

Moozo

I wish they would make the buttons on their limited edition/colour controllers something other than black. Grey, like the original, would look great on this.

Adam Boyes is here so maybe he's reading. i would also buy this if I had the chance. If too expensive, just remove the mini symbols all over the console.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's just a grey PS4.

It's the original PSX material embossed with tiny PSX symbols. :O

Adam Boyes is here so maybe he's reading. i would also buy this if I had the chance. If too expensive, just remove the mini symbols all over the console.

That would be an instant desirability--.

I understand that in a hypothetical, generally available, unit there would have to be some compromise to make the limited version still be 'special', but I'm really not sure what I'd be willing to give up on it. It's all the little details that make it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I disagree.

This would devalue the limited edition system.

Some things are best enjoyed in very limited production runs. If you can't afford one of the limited amount, then settle without it.

Top Bottom