• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Sony, Please Release a Less-Limited Version of the PS1-Themed PS4

Mentok

Banned
It's just a grey PS4.

Just.....

giphy.gif

I'd get one of these if I could. Sign me up OP.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
No way, while I wont be getting one its nice to see a limited edition that's actually limited and not just a cash crab.

Deku Tree

I just want to be able to buy the PS1 DS4 really. They sell the DS4 in so many different colors... why not sell it in the PS1 color?

Yea it's not cool to make them limited like that. Why not make it limited in the sense that you'll only be making it this year instead? Really want one of them, especially the controller

bumpkin

The only thing I know is when I showed my wife the pictures of the 20th Anniversary PS4 last night and told her when they'd be announcing pre-order details, she didn't say "No". That to me is clearance to try and get one.

...and means sometime in the future I might be selling my launch PS4. We'll see how the cards fall.

dock

I just want to be able to buy the PS1 DS4 really. They sell the DS4 in so many different colors... why not sell it in the PS1 color?

That controller does have extra PlayStation pattern etching on the touchpad, but a non-etched version would be nice.

If they really are bringing Crash back, maybe they could do a non-limited, PlayStation Gray bundle for it.

Kinda OT, but I expect them to do a Blood Red bundle for Bloodborne. Seems kinda obvious.

5amshift

Banned
God damn, didn't notice the symbols on both the console and touchpad. Makes this console A WHOLE lot better, holy shit.

The plastic on the analog sticks looks so cheap and stiff here, like it'll crack just by looking at it too long. It really sticks out on this controller because the rest looks aces.

But yes, totally agree OP. This hardware is sort of an 'elitist' celebration if all the longtime PlayStation fans who supported Sony over the years don't have a fair chance to pick up this tribute console. Because if this is a celebration of 20 years of PlayStation, then part of that has to be about the fans and community. I think a non-numbered SKU which lacks the extra accessories would be quite adequate.

what's infuriating is knowing i won't be able to get it.

i am a fan but too bad i don't have the time to platinum every game because i have a life.

too bad i don't live anywhere near vegas.

too bad there will be people out there who will buy the console just to put them on ebay the moment they bought it.

too bad it will be on a raffle and i am one in potentially hundreds of thousands of other people who will put their names in as entries.

seriously, this sucks.

That dude that made the PS4 hard drive covers with the PS1/PS2 mock-ups was a genius, I'd take a freakin fancy hard drive cover even. But I agree, being able to get one of these limited systems easily at a store would be great too.
I bought 5 Xbox 360s last gen(due to failure), and if my PS4 dies I'll just go buy another one too. Hopefully there'll be gray ones easily available by then.

edit-THIS ONE!
YmQsKCz.jpg

Where do i get one? Plz let me know

Sony will announce the way to preorder this during their keynote. Or if you're truly hardcore, fly/drive to Vegas and attend PSX. If you're truly hardcore but live outside US, wait for announcement for availability in other territories.

Sony will announce the way to preorder this during their keynote. Or if you're truly hardcore, fly/drive to Vegas and attend PSX. If you're truly hardcore but live outside US, wait for announcement for availability in other territories.

i am but i doubt i'll be able to get it anyway.

They wont sell the controller separate. Don't you understand that that would defeat the entire purpose of a limited edition? If everyone had access to the grey controller, it would take away from the prestige of having the grey controller that came with the whole system as a package. Controller does look nice though...

Yea they should sell a mass market version without that 20Xtrianglesquare shit and no limited edition numbering. I just want the original gray paint scheme and the multi colored ps logo!

JNA

Banned
PLZ PLZ PLZ SONY!

I don't think I ever wanted a version of a console like this before. Please Sony. :(

It defeats the purpose of a limited edition if it isn't really limited. They should keep it with the 12,000 units and never make another one.

Anth0ny

Agreed. There's limited, and then there's ridiculous. Doesn't help that a bunch of scalpers are just going to grab these and have them selling for $2000 on ebay the day they come out.

inki

Doh!

Per Giantbombs unboxing video Brad said he verified with Sony PR that the controller will not be sold separately.

dugdug

Banned
Doh!

Per Giantbombs unboxing video Brad said he verified with Sony PR that the controller will not be sold separately.

What the hell. The console, I understand.

But, they can make more controllers, man. Come on!

DBT85

Doh!

I can understand the 20th edition one.

No reason they can't just release a grey DS4 though. Doesn't have to have the fancy touchpad or the coloured button. Would still sate most people hunger.

Top Bottom