• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Sony, Please Release a Less-Limited Version of the PS1-Themed PS4

1655690_829710587071628xz9.jpg

shit, im willing to bet many didn't realize the etching detail here.

I seriously was going to buy this since I wanted to get a PS4 eventually anyways... but not going to pay super high limited edition resale prices... That's okay, I'll just wait it out another year for a cheaper/better bundle instead.

genjiZERO

It's really stupid that they don't. I have a black one, but I'd buy another (and give the black one to my brother) just for the sweet arse grey one. It's so myopic.

AuRoN89

Banned
i agree regards the gigalion dollar re-sell system that will be coming soon.

If i ever win this, i will never resell this baby, this is a no-price item for collector maniacs like me.

JP

I don't think they should release more of them. I'm not going to be getting one but for the people who buy a limited edition anything, it should remain strictly limited. I know that the meaning of "limited edition" seems to have moved away from what it really means but fair play to them for being willing to stand by what a limited edition should be.

Maybe they could do a standard playstation grey release but without the 20th anniversary embossing and badge but this really should stay as limited as possible as far as I'm concerned.

I do also think that they should go further with this anniversary edition and the box should contain other things such as an anniversary t-shirt, beanie, wallet or something along those lines.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As much as I want one and probably wont be lucky enough to get one, no.

I'm sick of LE consoles that aren't actually limited. I'm glad this thing truly is. Would make any owner of one really happy.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I really want to buy this thing Sony... The PS1 was my very first console; I've owned all of your systems ever since. With only 12,300 it seems highly unlikely I'll get the chance to have one. I'd still be just as thrilled getting one without a limited edition number on it as well.

Hugstable

Banned
I have an idea: If they go non-limited edition, all they need to do is take off the special PS buttons pattern that is present on the current 20th Anniversy addition. That way the LE is still valuable and has it's own quirk, but also gives others a chance to buy a normal colored one without the pattern.

ALso just sell the damn controller Sony, you will make a killing off it.

Yeah, I would buy this version of the PS4 no question if it was made available...even if they just made one without the 20th anniversary special etching and just in the matte grey of the OG PSX units.

JNA

Banned
I have an idea: If they go non-limited edition, all they need to do is take off the special PS buttons pattern that is present on the current 20th Anniversy addition. That way the LE is still valuable and has it's own quirk, but also gives others a chance to buy a normal colored one without the pattern.

ALso just sell the damn controller Sony, you will make a killing off it.

This.

Sony PLS.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I have an idea: If they go non-limited edition, all they need to do is take off the special PS buttons pattern that is present on the current 20th Anniversy addition.

That idea sucks. That's a major part of the appeal. What makes the current one collectible is the X/12,300 aspect of it, not the cool pattern.

Bumhead

Banned
These should stay exclusive.

However, I also think they should introduce a non-anniversary edition in a still limited but attainable and retail ready bundle.

- lose the 20th anniversary logo
- lose the numbering
- lose the embossed logos
- sell it in standard packaging, not the 20th anni box

Those are the things that make this limited and nobody who gets their hands on one of the 12,300 is going to have all that stuff devalued. But a lot of folks would really, really love a PS1-grey PS4, and would be absolutely fine with a completely standard retail model in that colour.

leng jai

I don't really have problem with the actual console being limited though they should have at least made it available for purchase in every major region.

The controller should be available to everyone though - there should be something that's easily attainable for every fan.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
All I want is the controller. If they do not sell the controller to everyone they are making a huge mistake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You know what would be awesome? Grey controller with the playstation symbols on the touchpad, like on Vita.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Mass producing a limited edition makes it not a limited edition. What a silly thought. This is a limited edition done right for once.

These are for the extremely dedicated, for a commemorative event and they should be limited. It's half of the appeal.

I'm almost convinced they'll release a bland grey one later, but this one will forever remain special.

trifelife

I want one as much as the next person, but I'd rather not have the rarity of the anniversary edition diluted by mass production.

Anyone else pissed that media is getting them for free? So the limited edition is even more limited thanks to many of the units going to the press...

Bumhead

Banned
Mass producing a limited edition makes it not a limited edition. What a silly thought. This is a limited edition done right for once.

These are for the extremely dedicated, for a commemorative event and they should be limited. It's half of the appeal.

I'm almost convinced they'll release a bland grey one later, but this one will forever remain special.

This is true.

And I hope the systems do go to the dedicated Sony fans and not scalpers. Well, either that or looking at it selfishly, maybe it's better if all 12,300 go to scalpers and flood the used market so the rest of us can get them closer to their actual cost.. ahem!

I want a grey PS4 really badly. It was the one thing I wanted the most from all these 20th anniversary celebrations. It's really cool Sony have made good at that, but just a little frustrating they've gone so super awesome with it that they have to be this exclusive. I would still buy a completely standard retail model PS4 in PS1 grey. That's all I want, I can settle without all the admittedly extremely cool extras they added to this.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I can understand the 20th edition one.

No reason they can't just release a grey DS4 though. Doesn't have to have the fancy touchpad or the coloured button. Would still sate most people hunger.

Yeah thats really stupid. They could sell a lot of just the controller I would think.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sorry to rain on your parade, but they're going to scalper and journalists.

The fate of every single 'true' limited edition item ever.

They will eventually end up in the homes of the dedicated Playstation fanbase though. They are actually trying to sell them fairly with a lottery system and as a perk of going to PSX.

The dedicated fans and collectors at these events will probably never scalp them and that's exactly who Sony made these consoles for. The rest? Well prepare to pay whatever the market deems them worthy.

Why? I don't get this attitude. I mean, I understand limited editions. But a console celebrating 20 years of PlayStation should not be limited to game journalists and a few hardest of the hardcore. 20 years of PlayStation is not just about the consoles and games, but also about the fans that supported Sony through thick and thin, and these fans should have a decent chance to purchase one of these. Or at least that should be the case.

The appeal to me is the nostalgia and homage to the original PSX, and that it looks really great. Not that it's limited to a few thousand units. The PSX gray and the colored logo mean way more to me than a placard stuck onto the side saying how exclusive the owner is.

The controller is cool for nostalgic purposes, but I'm not crazy about that grey on the console. It's a bit much. The console is neat, but it doesn't look great except up close, imo. I mean the etchings.

It looks okay, and I kind of want it regardless, but I have no legitimate reason to buy it other than it being kind of cool. I owned an N64 through 95% of that gen.

Still wishing I would've gotten that R2D2 360, though. That was cool.

@Wreck

I think sony created a good 'Limited' version for 20th anniversary

the whole point is limited so not everyone will be happy

MrDaravon

Why? I don't get this attitude. I mean, I understand limited editions. But a console celebrating 20 years of PlayStation should not be limited to game journalists and a few hardest of the hardcore. 20 years of PlayStation is not just about the consoles and games, but also about the fans that supported Sony through thick and thin, and these fans should have a decent chance to purchase one of these. Or at least that should be the case.

The appeal to me is the nostalgia and homage to the original PSX, and that it looks really great. Not that it's limited to a few thousand units. The PSX gray and the colored logo mean way more to me than a placard stuck onto the side saying how exclusive the owner is.

This. If this was a LE for a specific-game or something sure; but this is an LE for the system's anniversary, which should be for fans who want to get one as well. I showed this on Facebook to people I know who have largely fallen off of gaming and they went fucking NUTS for the thing. Look at how crazy people got in the anniversary theme threads just about being able to make their PS4 sound like a PS1 when it booted. To have a console celebrating something so iconic be so prohibitively limited boggles the mind and is actually genuinely disappointing from Sony here, since they are knocking it out of the goddamn park otherwise. Put together a system (or at least the controller) minus some of the extra visual stuff and nice packaging and everything and at least give regular folks some sort of window to get it.

Occam

Good post, I completely agree. All Sony is doing here is forcing most of those who want one to spend a lot of money unnecessarily, while lining the pockets of scalpers.
No need for clairvoyance to anticipate this outcome.

Top Bottom