• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Sony, Please Release a Less-Limited Version of the PS1-Themed PS4

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Like many, what I want is the controller
but with PSOne colors

1655690_829710587071628xz9.jpg

Holy shit, I never noticed that.

Lo-Volt

I'd like a larger production run too, but the presence or absence of a limited edition model doesn't seem like the kind of thing that's going to turn people off of the platform, either. I certainly hope a bunch of people in the U.S. didn't get so angry as to change their minds about the Xbox just because they couldn't find a crystal white model, for example.

To most folks, it really is "just a gray one". And as for the hardcore, are interested members of GAF seriously going to defect from one platform to another because of a limited edition model? That wouldn't really make sense.

bjork

It's a cool thing for the anniversary, but I wish they'd do Automobile Editions. Always kicked myself for missing those PS2s.

Fox Mulder

I laughed at the low worldwide number. It's going to be scalped to hell, but maybe that's what they want to happen.

The system looks horrible. There's a reason why it's not that color anymore. You can own your own limited edition shit gray console. Yah!!!!!

Shepherd

Neo Member
It looks absolutely awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting Sony to give us some info on how we can get hold of one here in the UK. I suspect it'll be very very difficult.

Can you imagine the value these will have 10 years down the line.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I dunno, neat as it looks on its own, a dull grey console among the uniformly black/white electronics everyone generally owns probably won't look so hot in practice.

Besides, everyone who's anyone would have happily thrown their drab grey PS1s into traffic in favor of a Net Yaroze or a blue Debug unit.

I'll take the controller, though.

I made a suggestion via my MVP channels to open these up for a wider release. It would be nice if everyone who wanted one of these could get one, and I hate the idea of eBay scalpers making a mint off of them.

I think they should run a black wash over the console to bring those symbols out a little bit... but maybe it'll look muddy from a distance.

I personally would be happy with the controller. Very nice looking.

Septimus

Want that console sooo bad but I already have a PS4...

The controller on the other hand... I'll do whatever it takes to get one! Sony, make these available now!!

spookyfish

Selling only 12,300 of the 20th anniversary PS4 console is a disservice to millions of your loyal PlayStation fans. Those who are lucky enough to get one will make a killing by reselling it, while the vast majority of those who really want one are going to miss out.

The way you are handling this is going to make MANY people unhappy. Surely that can't be your intention?

How about a non-numbered edition which could be offered for a limited time?

Yours,
Occam

This is a great idea, right here.

DBT85

I reckon they could not piss off the limited edition crowd by releasing the controller without the funky touch pad and the coloured logo. Literally just a grey version of the normal DS4.

The console itself is a bit different. Again, maybe doing something to it to make it different from the 20th edition so that the people who get the limited edition are actually getting something special.

gogogow

Controller is nice, but I wish they would went all the way and had grey buttons, OG sticks and grey touchpad.

I disagree. For once a limited edition really is limited and that's how it should always be.

A more mass produced one, or made to order (i.e. locked pre-orders open for 2 months) and unnumbered is fine. The numbered system would still be a valuable gaming showpiece - the reason I want one for my collection.

As a collector, I want this numbered version. As someone who just wants a grey console (and not a collector), a numbered, limited edition doesn't matter so much. Feeds both markets.

The non-limited SKU could also just omit the camera, stand and fancy box to cut costs, and at the same still keep the 12k batch special. These are completely viable options as long as minimum orders are met.

Similar things have happened with sneakers and books, so I'm all up for a plainer version for general consumers.

Top Bottom