• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding barely looks like a game at this point doesn't it?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I think the only gameplay I saw out of like an hour of footage was him walking around on some mountain, the rest was just cutscenes or in engine scenes and some people mumbling complicated Kojima shit. am really not sure how do you get kojima. hype him up so much and basically let him make a apparently a weird project thats more of a movie than a game and expect me to be excited about it. I mean am no fan of MGS but at least those look like games.

I think he just lost his mind. hes making one of these crackhead indie movies with Sony's money into a "game" it seems like. am I wrong to say that? I mean thats what it really looks like.

"As I'm getting similar questions so I shall re-post. DS is not a stealth game. Could move subjectively but not a FPS shooting game either. By incorporating with the concept of connection(strand), it's totally brand new genre called action game/strand game(social strand system) " Kojima 2019

Some of the best games in the world, with the best stories and characters, are visual novels. The Muv-Luv series is a good example, but there are many, many more.

Your definition of "game" is very personal and restrictive, it appears. Yes. Death Stranding looks plenty like a game. Maybe it's not for you, but it's still a game, and I'm quite sure it'll be for many.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we have seen stealth. there are lots of stealth areas, the world itself seems to have stealth scenarios that may arise. Kojima has never once wavered in improving the gameplay of his games. those were focused on stealth as well. this looks to have plenty of MGS style supernatural bosses too. already that's a full game right there.

we have seen traversal & exploration as a part of gameplay. motorcycles. ladders. probably some futuristic tech for traversing the open world. no doubt they are keeping a lot of stuff under lock and key. feel like the environments we explore will be really cool and right now we've seen maybe 3% of the game world.

we have seen combat. there is that one skirmish where the main character is bashing guys with the package. some kind of stun baton weapon is involved.

no idea what kind of game it is yet and that is v intriguing. right now it feels like Logan's Run or Zardoz or something, some weird post apocalyptic sci fi movie. sounds amazing tbh. i may end up buying a PS4 for this.

Last edited:
I am thankful this thread was made, since I just watched footage of this game here and there and I don't have any idea what it is about.

Seems I am not the only one... :D

Mexen

The biggest feature is the social strand and I don't think Kojima wants to show that. He wants us to experience it.
In the meantime, what he can do? Show us everything but his newest feature. And guess what, it feels familiar because it's the same man at the helm.
DS was always going to have similarities to his past creations. V showed us everything in the trailers. DS at least hints at more cinematic content to flesh out the world and I'm fine with that.
One of the things I loved about MGS games was being able to put my controller down, make a hot steaming cuppa and just not crawl for 40 minutes. That's the full Kojima experience.
A B movie in a AAA gaming experience.

Mackers

Not one person has mentioned Kojimas LAST GAME.

MGSV trailers showed all story and no gameplay. The game was nearly all game. Everybody here screaming about MGS4 as the example. What about the 3 MGS games since then?

Nobody here has any fucking clue what the game to cutscene ratio will be in DS.

FranXico

I wonder what certain people would be saying about this game if it were an Xbox exclusive... I'm going to take a wild guess and assume they wouldn't be calling it "garbage" or a "walk sim".

Just a hunch.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I wonder what certain people would be saying about this game if it were an Xbox exclusive... I'm going to take a wild guess and assume they wouldn't be calling it "garbage" or a "walk sim".

Just a hunch.
Xbox fanboys would be praising it as the second coming, Sony fanboys would be calling it garbage.

So basically the opposite of what's happening now. Almost as if *mild shock* fanboys are fucking idiots.

Although I do admit I have no earthly idea what kind of game Death Stranding is going to be, and I'm cautiously optimistic because it's Kojima, but at the same time MGSV is my biggest disappointment this gen so my hype is definitely on the lower end of the scale

FranXico

Xbox fanboys would be praising it as the second coming, Sony fanboys would be calling it garbage.

So basically the opposite of what's happening now. Almost as if *mild shock* fanboys are fucking idiots.

Although I do admit I have no earthly idea what kind of game Death Stranding is going to be, and I'm cautiously optimistic because it's Kojima, but at the same time MGSV is my biggest disappointment this gen so my hype is definitely on the lower end of the scale
Yes, indeed.

I'm also waiting to see how it turns out (post launch reviews and streams), because it isn't clear to me how it will play. I do like MGSV though, as much as the story part of it was a let down.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Acknowledges we've only really only seen cutscenes of the game ... goes on to wonder why people are excited for a 'movie more than a game'.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yes, indeed.

I'm also waiting to see how it turns out (post launch reviews and streams), because it isn't clear to me how it will play. I do like MGSV though, as much as the story part of it was a let down.
I thought MGSV was the best the series ever played, but to me I play Metal Gear for the story so that's why I found it to be such a major disappointment :(

Bryank75

Banned
Yes, indeed.

Thing was, for me the linear part at the start was the highlight and just showed how much better Kojima is at a more scripted , wide linear experience. The gameplay was great but the map and mission diversity wasn't my cup of tea.

That's why I loved that GOW didn't go open world also.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Well, like most overhyped af Sony exclusive games. They are mostly cinematic movie walk-sims.

I really dont understand this argument

What kind of walking sims experience you got from playing game like spiderman? horizon zero dawn? killzone? infamous? bloodborne? god of war?

Why are you xbox people so persist on associating those game with walking sims?

Even game like halo and gears have cinematic cutscene

What game ( beside sports game) these days that doesnt have story or cutscene?

Just cut the crap already if your an xbox fanboy

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, like most overhyped af Sony exclusive games. They are mostly cinematic movie walk-sims.
I feel like most people don’t know what actually means and just call any game where the character walk as “walk-sim”. The only game I considered “walk-sim” is this.
300px-Dear_Esther_cover.jpg

RegularFarflungDormouse-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Character is clearly walking there, then Astral Chain must be a walking-sim.....pre-ordered canceled! /s

Last edited:

Dunki

I do not get these complaints. Especially with Kojima we know that his trailers are almost only exposition and storytelling but the games himself always have excellent mechanics and gameplay elements. How cn people still doubt him just because like every other game you have barely see gameplay so far. This is why his games are also excited. You do not know much about it at all when you start playing it.

And let us not forget that Kojima despite his troubles created the best open world sandbox Action game ever with MGS5. The shit you could do in this game was mindblowing

Airbus Jr

Banned
I wouldn't even blame Konami for not working with him if thats the game he wanted to make. am going to assume so considering that he was already working on it with Konami.

like what the shit is that. probably a game only the Sony folks of the past couple of systems would buy.

I hope reviewers review it as a game. and not get biased because of the high budget and kojima/Sony.

Seems like you already have your mind set for this game before releases

How are you going to judge a game you havent even played yet?

Your accusation doesnt hold any truth at all

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I will support anything Kojima does so I will buy this game at launch, already pre-ordered the CE in fact. However, I do admit I still have no idea what this game is about and I have a worry it will be too Kojima-y as in just too bizarre and out there, but I will absolutely give it a fair shake and give him the benefit of the doubt. As he's a brilliant mind.

Sure, but, come on. Guns are so primitive. Maybe they can replace them with spears and then the game will not fail?

cormack12

Gold Member
Ignore OP though, it's just another of Kojima's sockpuppets shitposting about his own game..

Thanks for that summary. I feel we've been here before though. All mechanics look sound and the question on most people's lips is 'what do you do though?'. The last one was No Man's Sky, and it established camps of 'go back to your AAA trash', 'stop asking dumb questions' etc. and I think the same is somewhat happening here. There's an element of faith in trusting the game will be good, but there's also an element of we have seen the mechanics but not really sure how to contextualise them in the purpose of the game. For example, trying to deliver soemthing undetected, is different to infiltrating bases to get the item in the first place. Maybe you do both, maybe you do neither?

The game looks beautiful, absolutely stunning. So did RDR2, and that was tedious to the majority. The game focuses on traversal, and I imagine will be the largest part of the game. So what do we see? Little snippets that look cool in the trailer, but after 30-40 hours are you really going to want to be stumbling through snow drifts slowly (does no one remember Connor in ACIII?), wading through water impedance, struggling with terrain contours (Hissing wastes and it's terrible platforming, or Odyssey with its strange staccato style jumping between heights).

I don't really have a strong preference in this game. If nothing drops, I'll do what I did with NMS and wait for impressions - ultimately for me personally I was right to hold off buying that game. I'm guessing the goal (considering this is a social game), is to get as manhy in for day one. At the moment the line between teasing and enticing is not weighted correctly I think.

daninthemix

I don't think Kojima should be criticised for making "games" that are barely-interactive (bad) movies.

I think he should be criticized for being a pervert.

Hotspurr

Banned
Lots of Sony defence force in this thread. OP made a very legitimate post. To anyone without their PlayStation goggles on this does indeed look like a walking simulator. It seems the game is about moving packages around through tough terrain.

I imagine this game will be more about the experience than the gameplay. Personally I will wait and see how good the story is. If it's Until Dawn level of good I'll tolerate the walking simulation stuff and get it. Regardless, will be interesting to see.

Aintitcool

Banned
There is no way Death Stranding is not going to go down as a 9/10 or 10/10 with what I saw so far. There will be lots of quirky gameplay hidden behind the serious tone of walking simulator. Also the ladder mechanic is something I never saw in a game before.

Aintitcool

Banned
Those ladders are already in the environment, they have fixed spots where they work. In death stranding they are not triggered or already in the world but in your backpack so you can explore far off caves, cross mountains and explore the open world.

Usually you saw games letting you stack crates or drop ladders via a in world button. Here the ladder is a tool of exploring the open world.

Last edited:

FranXico

Lots of Sony defence force in this thread. OP made a very legitimate post. To anyone without their PlayStation goggles on this does indeed look like a walking simulator. It seems the game is about moving packages around through tough terrain.

I imagine this game will be more about the experience than the gameplay. Personally I will wait and see how good the story is. If it's Until Dawn level of good I'll tolerate the walking simulation stuff and get it. Regardless, will be interesting to see.
Very legitimate concern indeed. No concern trolling from Xbox fanboys at all in this thread...

Bankai

I think the only gameplay I saw out of like an hour of footage was him walking around on some mountain, the rest was just cutscenes or in engine scenes and some people mumbling complicated Kojima shit.

I really thought gameplay looked like Horizon Zero Dawn, which isn't strange considering it's the same engine. Main character was dodging in a fighting scene, running through the open world. Also, lots of stealthy stuff in the woods with the spirits. I like was I saw, but... I don't think it'll be so special.

The hype is way too strong with this one.

Reminds me of Cyberpunk, I actually feel kinda the same about both game: I think it'll be very good games, but really nothing unique. Cyberpunk will just be a cool Deus Ex / Prey / System Shock FPS-RPG, with an open world and engrossing story. Death Stranding (worst title ever BTW) will be an engaging stealthy, action game with a.. weird story.

Oh my, Sunday thread alert....

Are you doubting Kojima's games GAMEPLAY? SERIOUSLY ? You may like his stories or not, but gameplay excells in all his games.

As for DS, it has already shown plenty of mechanics: climbing, crafting, skill trees, mele combat, shooting, vehicles... and multiplayer features ala Dark Souls.

Ok, my bad. I see that some people even doubt Kojima as a top developer. That is pretty telling about the level of this discussion. It cannot compare to Fortnite , indeed.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I really thought gameplay looked like Horizon Zero Dawn, which isn't strange considering it's the same engine. Main character was dodging in a fighting scene, running through the open world. Also, lots of stealthy stuff in the woods with the spirits. I like was I saw, but... I don't think it'll be so special.

The hype is way too strong with this one.

Reminds me of Cyberpunk, I actually feel kinda the same about both game: I think it'll be very good games, but really nothing unique. Cyberpunk will just be a cool Deus Ex / Prey / System Shock FPS-RPG, with an open world and engrossing story. Death Stranding (worst title ever BTW) will be an engaging stealthy, action game with a.. weird story.
Yeah, it’s not as catchy of a title like Policenauts, Snatcher, or Metal Gear.

CJ_75

I actually do like the cutscenes from Kojima, but DS lacks the sexiness of an iconic hero like Solid Snake, Nathan Drake, Kratos or a heroin like Aloy.
Trailers are supposed to hype us up but DS trailers just looks boring.

II_JumPeR_I

Cant wait for all the complaints etc from folks who hyped this shit up into oblivion... same thing happened with MGSV... and we all know how that turned out lol

I wouldn't even blame Konami for not working with him if thats the game he wanted to make. am going to assume so considering that he was already working on it with Konami.

like what the shit is that. probably a game only the Sony folks of the past couple of systems would buy.

I hope reviewers review it as a game. and not get biased because of the high budget and kojima/Sony.

Oh be prepared for the 10/10s. Unbiased and objective reviews dont happen anymore...

If the game has a lot of flaws but still has "fun" stuff to do and play then it still gets a very high ranking..

If Sekiro was exclusive to PlayStation it would be labelled a ' walking sim' too. By now the term has lost its original meaning... It's like when a far left person says something is racist or sexist.
Can we stop with this fanboy war garbage? Does it hurt you that not everyone loves the same shit as you? Grow up with that fanboy war nonsense...

Last edited:

zenspider

The criticism about there being too much walking seems unusual when you have other games like Shadow of the Colossus where you spend more time walking and riding a horse than you do fighting the colossi.

Yet in Death Stranding, we see guns, motorcycles, ladders, shadowy spirits both large and small. We're told the point of the game is to reunite stranded city populations. We have cutscenes that showcase inspiring surreal imagery and concepts but apparently no one cares about the story, just parroting "movie game" like it's still a clever thing to say.

We tell these game companies we want new IPs and new ideas and Hideo Kojima looks to be offering just that with Death Stranding.

I'm optimistically agreeing with you, but still there's a big difference between walking>cutscene and walking>colossi.

SotC's traversal served as a contemplative, where DS is still an unknown quantity in terms of what will be the loop mechanically and emotionally. I get the apprehension, but like you said - I want something new and I hope Death Stranding delivers.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cant wait for all the complaints etc from folks who hyped this shit up into oblivion... same thing happened with MGSV... and we all know how that turned out lol

Oh be prepared for the 10/10s. Unbiased and objective reviews dont happen anymore...

If the game has a lot of flaws but still has "fun" stuff to do and play then it still gets a very high ranking..

Can we stop with this fanboy war garbage? Does it hurt you that not everyone loves the same shit as you? Grow up with that fanboy war nonsense...

And I supose judging a game bad like some you folks did here already before playing it can be clasified as fanboy aswell right ?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
can't wait for geoff "doritos pope" to sucks kojima's dick live on stage coming award show

Can't wait to play this. It would be something if Sam gets killed in 1 hit but then instead of dying he is taken and tortured and its an hour long unskipable cutscene.

Gargus

Banned
I'm looking forward to it because it will be different.

I like shooters, strategy, adventure, metroidvania, etc. But I also get tired of the same old thing and I want different experiences. Not all video games have to be "video games". That's what makes the medium great is the variety it can have. And you also don't have to like them all, don't like death stranding? That's fine because you have so many options and that's what's great about games is the options you have.

No need to shit on every game you don't approve of because if it doesn't interest you then you have plenty of others to choose from. I mean I dislike sports games, and a lot of mainstream games, don't like the battle royale stuff, and so on but I don't find reasons to sit and pick them apart, I just simply don't play them. And I certainly don't complain about unique or different games because we need more of those so gaming doesn't become a sterile and boring medium.

I like kojima because he is very much his own thing. He doesn't worry about trying to appeal to everyone. I am interested in death stranding because it's his game done his way and me personally I want to see more developers make the games they want to make and not make what they think will sell well or fit into a certain niche.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good to me but I’m more to games for story and characters these days. Of course it’s best when I enjoy the gameplay to in games like God of War.

But I still love visual novels, David Cage games and play things like Fire Emblem and JRPGs even though I usually don’t care much for the gameplay in those. Stories are really my hobby. I love movies, shows and books as much or more than gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom