• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding barely looks like a game at this point doesn't it?

Javthusiast

Banned
What I meant is that Kojima games are known for having a deep story and lots of cutscenes. His games are always revealed the same way. I never said there won't be gameplay :messenger_winking:

My bad, agree with you there. Even though I am hyped for the game I also don't excpect it to do anything groundbreaking in the medium like kojima himself implies it to do.

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima is gonna find this thread, and when he does..........

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, it feels like there are equal amounts of people determined to hate this game as there are people determined to love it. It goes both ways. I’m very excited to play it, period. Hope it turns out great. We will see.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima is gonna find this thread, and when he does..........

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, it feels like there are equal amounts of people determined to hate this game as there are people determined to love it. It goes both ways. I’m very excited to play it, period. Hope it turns out great. We will see.
I agree, Bear friendo.

I'm hyped and curious btw.

xviper

So......even if people end up liking the game and it gets good reviews are you just gonna call it “overrated”? Because you already decided the game is “garbage”?
I have a talent on guessing whether the game is good or not, and it's mostly true, Death Stranding will be a major disappointment to those who are hyped.

Some Devs get lucky with one game\series, doesn't make them legends, look at DICE, the developer of most Battlefield games, they made a masterpiece that is Battlefield: Bad company 2, then went to make shitty games after, they don't even know what made Bad company 2 special and they admitted that, Another example is the devs who made Shadow of the colossus, one of the best games ever made in my opinion and the opinion of many gamers, all their other games are trash in comparison.

I don't get excited for a game just because a certain studio who previously made a good game is working on it, i get excited for a game when i like what i see.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have a talent on guessing whether the game is good or not, and it's mostly true, Death Stranding will be a major disappointment to those who are hyped.
tenor.gif

That sounds less about you have “talent“ more about you think your opinion is better than others.

You are more than free not like the game but mostly your taste and opinion and it doesn’t make it better than others.

Last edited:

Some Devs get lucky with one game\series, doesn't make them legends, look at DICE, the developer of most Battlefield games, they made a masterpiece that is Battlefield: Bad company 2, then went to make shitty games after, they don't even know what made Bad company 2 special and they admitted that, Another example is the devs who made Shadow of the colossus, one of the best games ever made in my opinion and the opinion of many gamers, all their other games are trash in comparison.

I don't get excited for a game just because a certain studio who previously made a good game is working on it, i get excited for a game when i like what i see.

I agree with you %110 and that's exactly how I choose games with the little time I've got nowadays, but there's likes of US, and then there's them..obsessive Fanatics of certain developer/individual..which no matter what even if its 💩..they'll fight u do death, cause its godly.

Bkdk

Seems like he’s trying to put many ideas into one game. From the trailer some got me hyped, but some elements just don’t interest me at all. I’ll be watching this game on YouTube and focus on playing outer worlds.

Ryu Kaiba

Just because its not your style doesn't mean no one else is into it. Different people like different things. I couldn't give less of a shit about anything EA or 99% of Ubisofts output but they obviously have an audience. This game is right up my alley. I'm very excited precisely because of what I've seen.

Ramzy

I think Kojima is trying to sell this "social strand system" as some kind of new genre defining game mechanic similar to how souls-like has become it's own subgenre, but i don't think it's going to stick. Everything that i've seen of this game gives me the impression that it's just Kojima art film wank that would be better compared to Detroit Become Human -- aka, an interactive story game. I'll reserve judgement though; I hope I'm wrong.

Fake

So......even if people end up liking the game and it gets good reviews are you just gonna call it “overrated”? Because you already decided the game is “garbage”?
Don't worry, when this game release on PC somehow will be transformed into a great game by some salty users.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think Kojima is trying to sell this "social strand system" as some kind of new genre defining game mechanic similar to how souls-like has become it's own subgenre, but i don't think it's going to stick. Everything that i've seen of this game gives me the impression that it's just Kojima art film wank that would be better compared to Detroit Become Human -- aka, an interactive story game. I'll reserve judgement though; I hope I'm wrong.

None of the footage released so far gives any real indication of the workings of the "social strand system". So basically you are passing judgement based on something you have absolutely no clue about.

That being the case, your opinion is worthless. So why offer it?

Sorry, but I just don't grasp what you are trying to achieve here. Death Stranding could be great, it could be dogshit. Its yet to be seen. However posts like yours are always going to be ignorant garbage, because they have no substance, insight or value to offer.

Ramzy

None of the footage released so far gives any real indication of the workings of the "social strand system". So basically you are passing judgement based on something you have absolutely no clue about.

Sorry, but I just don't grasp what you are trying to achieve here. Death Stranding could be great, it could be dogshit. Its yet to be seen. However posts like yours are always going to be ignorant garbage, because they have no substance, insight or value to offer.

Found the Kojima fangirl.

Geki-D

Banned
Found the Kojima fangirl.
I like how Clear utterly dismantled what you said and this weak shit is all you can say in return.
54806067.jpg

99% of the time this "no gameplay" crap is always just that no matter the game it's directed at. I see no reason to believe that won't be the case here.

Ultimately this is just another SlashBringingHasher thread. He's only saying this because it's a PS4 game, like always.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I don’t know you guys and gals well enough to know if you have a reputation but I don’t think what Ramzy said was bad. You had a comment earlier about someone having the “talent” to prejudge games that I thought was absurd, and yet you attack the member with an opinion. I don’t get it.

Ramzy

They've got a point though. You can't really judge a system based on having seen nothing.

If y'all can genuinely listen to the nonsensical drivel that comes pouring out of Kojima's mouth when he talks about his art, then more power to you. Listening to him feels like my brain is leaking out of my ears and nothing of what he says has real substance. I mean fuck, here's the guy who invented a fucking bikini clad character and supported the design decision by stating she breaths through her skin whilst she literally pole dances inside of the transport helicopter for snake.

I don't doubt that DS will be "interesting" in the sense of "what the fuck is going on", but everything i have seen up to this point from Kojima, his past works, and the "gameplay" showcased, just seems like Kojima is more interested in creating a movie that requires a console to watch rather than an actual video game.

God forbid i formulate my own opinion on the matter. I understand many of you grew up with Kojima and that his games are a defining part of your childhood and in general your identity, but the fawning needs to calm down. People are hyping this shit up like it's gonna be the new benchmark for interactive entertainment when it's nothing more than a Kojima flavoured soap opera.

But as i said several times already, i do hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Me: Fancy going to the cinema tonight?
Mate: What's on?
Me: That new Death Stranding film.
Mate: Any good?
Me: Imdb gave it a 6 out of 10.
Mate: Nah, let's just stay in and play some games.

A Kojima game with little to no gameplay?
I'm shocked. Shocked! I tell you.
What an unprecedented development.
You do know that Metal Gear Solid was the main reason why the Splinter Cell was even greenlit by Ubisoft, right? You owe Kojima a huge debt for inspiring Ubisoft to develop your favourite franchise ;)

Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy is already saying exactly what I would be saying. Kojima-san would be very proud of you, soldier. Keep doing God's work and fight the hate.

Clear Clear , let that man breath!
full

brian0057

Banned
You do know that Metal Gear Solid was the main reason why the Splinter Cell was even greenlit by Ubisoft, right? You owe Kojima a huge debt for inspiring Ubisoft to develop your favourite franchise ;)
Oh, I know. Believe me.
I just play Splinter Cell instead of Metal Gear because it's the better series.
Doesn't change the fact that I consider Kojima to be one of the worst developers ever and Metal Gear to be one of the worst series in existence.

But, hey, don't let my negativity towards Kojima sour your enjoyment of his work. If you like his games, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: LMJ

xool

Game has ladders, motorbikes etc

Still have no idea what "strands bringing people together" Kojima talked about are though - does the game have some form of asynchronous multiplayer like I think. Or maybe actual real multiplayer ? can you even see other players in the game world? Is it just some elaborate "capture the flag" game ??

This seems to be the last big secret about the game that may or may not disappoint.

I'm looking forward to it because it will be different.

I like shooters, strategy, adventure, metroidvania, etc. But I also get tired of the same old thing and I want different experiences. Not all video games have to be "video games". That's what makes the medium great is the variety it can have. And you also don't have to like them all, don't like death stranding? That's fine because you have so many options and that's what's great about games is the options you have.

No need to shit on every game you don't approve of because if it doesn't interest you then you have plenty of others to choose from. I mean I dislike sports games, and a lot of mainstream games, don't like the battle royale stuff, and so on but I don't find reasons to sit and pick them apart, I just simply don't play them. And I certainly don't complain about unique or different games because we need more of those so gaming doesn't become a sterile and boring medium.

I like kojima because he is very much his own thing. He doesn't worry about trying to appeal to everyone. I am interested in death stranding because it's his game done his way and me personally I want to see more developers make the games they want to make and not make what they think will sell well or fit into a certain niche.
I feel like this post was overlooked but I agree with what you're saying. Gameplay is not meant to be defined as playing games a certain way but rather the many different ways you can play. So whether some people (who may not even have been interested to play it in the first place) like it or not, Death Stranding is a game.

I feel like most people don’t know what actually means and just call any game where the character walk as “walk-sim”. The only game I considered “walk-sim” is this.
300px-Dear_Esther_cover.jpg

RegularFarflungDormouse-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Character is clearly walking there, then Astral Chain must be a walking-sim.....pre-ordered canceled! /s
Yeah, you walk and listen to a voice narrating something I cannot for the life of me remember what the story was even about. In fact that image of Dear Esther is showing you the end. It's the epitome of a "walking sim".

People who call Sony exclusives "walking sims" and "movie games" are just focusing on one aspect, just like they do for The Last of Us which featured shooting, stealth, crafting makeshift weapons and bandages, and light puzzle elements. It's getting really old.

I say play what you want instead of downplaying the games other people want to play.

Last edited:
I'm optimistically agreeing with you, but still there's a big difference between walking>cutscene and walking>colossi.

SotC's traversal served as a contemplative, where DS is still an unknown quantity in terms of what will be the loop mechanically and emotionally. I get the apprehension, but like you said - I want something new and I hope Death Stranding delivers.
I think the social strand has to do with Sam reuniting the stranded city populations. Maybe I need to read up on it again but Kojima mentioned something about asynchronous multiplayer and progressing via social interaction with other players.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I think the social strand has to do with Sam reuniting the stranded city populations. Maybe I need to read up on it again but Kojima mentioned something about asynchronous multiplayer and progressing via social interaction with other players.
Is that like the affinity system from the first Xenoblade game? Because it sounds like the affinity system from the first Xenoblade game.

xenoblade-affinity.png

Arachnid

Oh, I know. Believe me.
Doesn't change the fact that I consider Kojima to be one of the worst developers ever and Metal Gear to be one of the worst series in existence.

But, hey, don't let my negativity towards Kojima sour your enjoyment of his work. If you like his games, knock yourself out.
That's interesting. Chaos Theory is IMO the best stealth game ever made but the MGS series isn't too far behind (there are some things it even does better). Both are 3rd person tight quarters infiltration (the best in the genre IMO) and both have games in my top 5 of all time. If you don't mind, may I ask what you don't like about MGS? Is it the general absurdity and supernatural/sci-fi stuff?

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
That's interesting. Chaos Theory is IMO the best stealth game ever made but the MGS series isn't too far behind (there are some things it even does better). Both are 3rd person tight quarters infiltration (the best in the genre IMO) and both have games in my top 5 of all time. If you don't mind, may I ask what you don't like about MGS? Is it the general absurdity and supernatural/sci-fi stuff?

It's not even the story that I have a problem with. I can take or leave a bad plot as long as the gameplay is good... which Metal Gear usually lacks.
For a series considered one of the best stealth series ever made, it falls way behind works of unparalleled brilliance like Hitman: Blood Money, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Thief I, II, and III, Mark of the Ninja, the Styx games, and the first Assassin's Creed.

Funnily enough, most people dislike MGS V when it's actually my favorite game in the series. Is the only game in the series that resembles an actual stealth game.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I kind of feel like I shouldn't be saying this out loud but...

The free roaming gameplay sequences are really not a good look.... 😿

I read this like 10 times. I think you wanna replace the word "because" with "despite the fact".

Welcome

It was a matter of "spite", not "despite", though. He made MGS4 purposefully the way it was (lots of cutscenes, let downs, and an absolute end to the main players) because he did not want to make it in the first place.

Not that it did not have some redeeming features, but it was made to frustrate the player and the fan.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh, I know. Believe me.

I apreciate your opinion..

but lets be honest here...your opinion sucks

Have a nice day ;)

Last edited:

demigod

Yeah, you walk and listen to a voice narrating something I cannot for the life of me remember what the story was even about. In fact that image of Dear Esther is showing you the end. It's the epitome of a "walking sim".

People who call Sony exclusives "walking sims" and "movie games" are just focusing on one aspect, just like they do for The Last of Us which featured shooting, stealth, crafting makeshift weapons and bandages, and light puzzle elements. It's getting really old.

I say play what you want instead of downplaying the games other people want to play.

Mocking Sony and making fun of walking sims meanwhile propping up The Initiative as the next coming of Baby Jesus who is set to make a walking sim :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom