• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding barely looks like a game at this point doesn't it?

GHG

Gold Member
Well, like most overhyped af Sony exclusive games. They are mostly cinematic movie walk-sims.

Exactly. Do you remember the Sony game that started it all?:

Cinematic over the shoulder view, cinematic movie cutscenes, forced walking, walking between cutscenes with no shoot bang, dialogue while walking, the camera controls being taken away from you to force you to look at "oh so cool cinematic moment", LOOK AT All DAT JUICE. Man that game was so overhyped, I bet if it wasn't a SONY game then it wouldn't have been widely regarded as the best game of the generation.

Damn, I wish we could go back to the time when Microsoft was on fire and these overhyped dumpster fire cinematic Sony games weren't relevant.

Oh wait...

Last edited:
Lots of Sony defence force in this thread. OP made a very legitimate post. To anyone without their PlayStation goggles on this does indeed look like a walking simulator. It seems the game is about moving packages around through tough terrain.

I imagine this game will be more about the experience than the gameplay. Personally I will wait and see how good the story is. If it's Until Dawn level of good I'll tolerate the walking simulation stuff and get it. Regardless, will be interesting to see.
No, its just people with common sense that know Kojima isn't gonna go from top of the industry Metal Gear quality gameplay to a walking simulator.
The post isn't legitimate at all, they've shown gunplay, hand to hand combat, driving motorcycles, stealth sections and a little of the tools you'll be using for exploration, but let's just ignore all that and call it a walking simulator.

I think character wise and perhaps story wise this is a better game than MGS5...HOWEVER...i feel like we gonna be left with that empty open world just like in MGS5. All that space for traversal and probably no side missions just empty space from point A to B.

Even tho theres still time for full reveal, promoting your game with a single character in a vast empty Icelandic space, it doesn't look too good. And the one gameplay we did se of 4 people on the same screen, it was stuttering. A fan of Kojima games but ill gladly wait a few days for realistic reviews.

Von Hugh

Pretty sure Kojima is giving the world a big middle finger and is doing now whatever he wants and sees if it sticks. Sony is of course giving to him everything he wants despite some pee slowly dripping into Sony's pants after seeing what the premise of this 'game' actually is.

But I guess Sony has already done the calculations on how much Kojima's name alone will translate into sales, and the quality of the game is pretty much a non-issue for all the parties at this point.

Kojima games would be great if they were episodic and made that way

Metal gear solid was the last title I felt of his where it was solid all the way through and didn’t verge off into insane cutscenes ..snake eater a close second but the seeds were starting to sprout

Mgs2 was a real mixed bag..brilliant opening but gradually went downhill and mgs4 suffered the same fate....he can’t write/direct full games imo and I fear he’s going to have his George Lucas moment with this game as nobody is keeping him in check.

If you can’t progress the story or game without sitting through a ten minute cutscene it’s not really a game but an interactive movie.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, like most overhyped af Sony exclusive games. They are mostly cinematic movie walk-sims.

Don't let this hate you have for Sony, destroy you. It's okay.....Microsoft will continue making games for you to like.

And to the OP, we've already seen some gameplay. It's funny to see people act like Kojima games have little gameplay, when he's had some of the best gameplay in 3D gaming since 1995.

If you can’t progress the story or game without sitting through a ten minute cutscene it’s not really a game but an interactive movie.

This may be the most ignorant comment in this thread. LOL at an interactive movie. So MGS3 was an interactive movie now? 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:
no idea what kind of game it is yet and that is v intriguing. right now it feels like Logan's Run or Zardoz or something, some weird post apocalyptic sci fi movie. sounds amazing tbh. i may end up buying a PS4 for this.

HOW DARE YOU SIR, HOW DARE YOU!

That being said I'm not very interested in this game but don't feel the need (or understand why others do) to shit on it. Game looks fine, like it'll continue to create the crazy worlds he's known for so it's hitting the mark. Plenty of people around here need to try and be objective instead of subjective.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Would be great to get a gameplay demo video of some sort. As much as I've been enjoying the cinematics, I'd rather not see any more past this point until I dive into the game.

30+ minutes of Death Stranding gameplay. How the mechanics work, what a delivery will be like, etc. Something like that would put people's minds at ease.

Nero_PR

Banned
It looks like a game.

Game is not going to be released until November.

We're going start seeing more of it as soon the game gets closer to the release date.

That's just how he chooses to advertise his game.
I'm pretty sure if Kojima could he would make us go blind until his game releases. I like the cinematic appeal of his games because the story in it is generally compelling enough to justify the 15+ to 40 min cutscenes. From all the presentation since the metal gear series, you can see that Kojima is a sucker for Military, Politics, Human conflict, Literature in general, Movies and some otherworldly experiences (drugs).

Last edited:

xviper

Okay, let me get this straight......

You have Snake/Big Boss as your Avi and yet you are literally shitting on the dude that created him?
So many talk about Kojima like he created the MGS games alone without a team, yes, MGS is my favorite franchise, but behind it is a very skillful team.

When people talk about who made Witcher 3, they talk about CDPR as a team, but when they talk about MGS they talk about Kojima.

Poordevil

I am not a huge Kojima fan. I really enjoyed Metal Gear 3, but that has been the only game of his I really cuddled up to.
Even so I have to agree, the guy is a genius. That does not mean everything he creates is genius, but he has a proven track record of potential. I am taking a wait and see attitude with Death Stranding. He is due for a big hit! At least with me, lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So many talk about Kojima like he created the MGS games alone without a team, yes, MGS is my favorite franchise, but behind it is a very skillful team.

When people talk about who made Witcher 3, they talk about CDPR as a team, but when they talk about MGS they talk about Kojima.

And?

The concept of an artistic director is not that they do everything , its that they sign-off on all contributing elements and take an active role in shaping the overall project to match their creative sensibilities.

Its how you get a distinctive result, because unlike in committee-run projects, quirky, idiosyncratic and divisive elements tend to be preserved.

Oh, I know. Believe me.
I just play Splinter Cell instead of Metal Gear because it's the better series.
Doesn't change the fact that I consider Kojima to be one of the worst developers ever and Metal Gear to be one of the worst series in existence.

But, hey, don't let my negativity towards Kojima sour your enjoyment of his work. If you like his games, knock yourself out.
If I hadn't played Splinter Cell and completed it last month, I would have replied harshly to you, but I know you have a true love for pure stealth games which MGS isn't in a sense.

You should be banned from using any Kojima-related pictures if this is your take on it.

Boo this man, BOO!

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
And?

The concept of an artistic director is not that they do everything , its that they sign-off on all contributing elements and take an active role in shaping the overall project to match their creative sensibilities.

Its how you get a distinctive result, because unlike in committee-run projects, quirky, idiosyncratic and divisive elements tend to be preserved.
You’re missing the point. It’s not about whether there needs to be a team leader. You don’t need to whore yourself out there all the time, and make it more about you than the product or the team.

Ceadeus

It sure does shock to see a video game where killing is not the first ingredient in the list. So it may be why we're like, dude what is THIS!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we gonna be left with that empty open world just like in MGS5. All that space for traversal and probably no side missions just empty space from point A to B.
What are you talking about MGSV took place in Afghanistan desert battlegrounds u expected endless collectible shit and npcs just sitting in a desert while a war goes on around them?

The game gave you vehicles. You can use cars trucks vans tanks, you had the walker gear, you had the horse. If you didn’t use any of those things and instead ran from point a to point b you played it wrong no wonder you think the game was empty. Maybe if you ran to and from every mission in GTA it would be boring too

And yeah there were side missions all along the space that went unused during main missions. There were like 150 of them. When you are complaining about shit being left out that actually in the game, I dunno, what the hell are you even talking about

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You’re missing the point. It’s not about whether there needs to be a team leader. You don’t need to whore yourself out there all the time, and make it more about you than the product or the team.

How do projects get funded? Someone needs to make the pitch, and be able to show a track record of generating positive critical notices, return on investment etc.

Big projects tend to be fairly anonymous, but somebody somewhere always has creative ownership because in the end accountability is key. Sadly in many cases this is just some corporate suit who has less than zero interest in the "art", they just want to keep the investors happy in order to climb the greasy pole to fat dividends and golden parachutes.

For example, can you name the genius who came up with loot-boxes? That little "innovation" that added millions onto revenue projections and balance sheets across the industry. That motherfucker has to be a legend somewhere LOL But it isn't going to be publicised for obvious reasons.

Trust me on this, if you get a position working on a named auteur's team, you're in a good spot. They won't be complaining because its a great step on the way to the next-level career-wise, which for very few people involved will be a similar position of directorship, because not everyone aspires to that. Let alone has the chops to do a good job at it.

This is why your position comes across to me as one of petty jealousy. You evidently have no idea how the industry works, because if you did you'd know why your concern for his "underappreciated" staff is laughable.

Aintitcool

Banned
How do projects get funded? Someone needs to make the pitch, and be able to show a track record of generating positive critical notices, return on investment etc.

Big projects tend to be fairly anonymous, but somebody somewhere always has creative ownership because in the end accountability is key. Sadly in many cases this is just some corporate suit who has less than zero interest in the "art", they just want to keep the investors happy in order to climb the greasy pole to fat dividends and golden parachutes.

For example, can you name the genius who came up with loot-boxes? That little "innovation" that added millions onto revenue projections and balance sheets across the industry. That motherfucker has to be a legend somewhere LOL But it isn't going to be publicised for obvious reasons.

Trust me on this, if you get a position working on a named auteur's team, you're in a good spot. They won't be complaining because its a great step on the way to the next-level career-wise, which for very few people involved will be a similar position of directorship, because not everyone aspires to that. Let alone has the chops to do a good job at it.

This is why your position comes across to me as one of petty jealousy. You evidently have no idea how the industry works, because if you did you'd know why your concern for his "underappreciated" staff is laughable.
Towards who you're replying. Lets just ignore how kojima even managed to take the Kojima Productions name from konami. More than 50% of the staff went with kojima.

New Staff is very surprised by what the game is.
https://www.dualshockers.com/death-stranding-employee-reaction/

Last edited:
I love MGS games, I enjoyed ZoE, thought PT was cool concept, haven't played but watched Snatcher and would like to play it...
But I don't like DS and think Kojima went in bad direction. Still consider him one of the greatest (with Yu Suzuki, Miyazaki, Miyamoto and Shinji Mikami) JPN game directors.

KOMANI

KOMANI

What the fuck are you talking about? My position? I have no problem with Kojima. It’s healthy to critic those you like. You’re reading into shit way too much Clear, like what you did with the kid. And don’t pretend you know what I do for a living. Don’t make up stuff to try and get your point across. Which is no point at all.

Aintitcool

Banned
Where do you get 50% from? What’s your source?
There is no chart until we get Death Stranding credit list. But after the completion of MGS:Survival a firing spree did happen and you have to assume kojima picked up most of them.

Problem is Japanese employee contracts are tough as nails. So some staff has to wait out their terms.

https://gamerant.com/death-stranding-kojima-hire-konami-devs-242/

There was a reddit thread that assumed it seems to be above 50% from trying to do online detective work.

KOMANI

KOMANI
There is no chart until we get Death Stranding credit list. But after the completion of MGS:Survival a firing spree did happen and you have to assume kojima picked up most of them.

Problem is Japanese employee contracts are tough as nails. So some staff has to wait out their terms.

https://gamerant.com/death-stranding-kojima-hire-konami-devs-242/

There was a reddit thread that assumed it seems to be above 50% from trying to do online detective work.
It’s Survive, not Survival. Where are you getting your news from? Where did you hear anyone got fired?

Aintitcool

Banned
It’s Survive, not Survival. Where are you getting your news from? Where did you hear anyone got fired?
This was all discussion at the time. Many different forums news sites? This was the narrative figured out as best it could. Hard to find these threads and news articles because google keeps thinking I'm talking about the staff mechanics and jobs from the game and not the employee developers. But i'm trying to find the most recent news about this. I think a translated japanese article stated the rumored percentage.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Would be great to get a gameplay demo video of some sort. As much as I've been enjoying the cinematics, I'd rather not see any more past this point until I dive into the game.

30+ minutes of Death Stranding gameplay. How the mechanics work, what a delivery will be like, etc. Something like that would put people's minds at ease.

I know what you mean but I'm not sure what people would be looking for at this point. Kojima is KNOWN for long playing cinematics. His games also have plenty of action and gunplay IF you want to play his games that way. If they like his games then they've accepted this.

My only problem with Kojima's games is that he steers the plot too heavily. He doesn't trust that we'll grasp the story (even if the interpretations vary) as he's laid it out. The dialogue tends to be overly obvious. Sometimes it's not necessary to talk a scene to death in order for your audience to get it. The character doesn't always have to say, "I will now press this button, and a million people will die!" If you've been chasing the villain through the entire game, you have to trust that the player has already put the pieces together before we reach the secret lair. We already know he's up to no good. Lol

Last edited:

Cactuarman

Banned
Two quick questions:
  1. At what point does something become a "game"?
  2. Why do I actually care what the distinction is?
If he wants to make an interactive movie, and I want to go along for the ride... does it matter how I spend my time?

cireza

If you feel that "you're wrong" is an insult, then I guess your sensitivity is ripe for a wonderful career on Resetera 🤷‍♂️
Do you spend your entire days telling people that have different tastes/opinions than yours that they are wrong ? Being you must be awesome.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You don’t need to whore yourself out there all the time, and make it more about you than the product or the team.

This is your stated position, and as I explained is one mired in ignorance of how the business works. Part of Kojima's value as a partner is his media friendliness/accessibility. You call it "whoring", I call it working. And its to the benefit to everyone involved in the project.

He's drawing attention to his project and promoting it in such a way that it really stands out amongst its competition. The whole premise of this thread is based on the fact that with less than 4 months away from release we still don't really know much about Death Stranding, despite it being promoted pretty steadily over the past 3 years.

That's not accidental, that's Kojima doing his thing. As usual.

Him not doing it would be a cause for concern because one of the reasons he gets the funding he does is, because he's essentially his own brand. Leveraging that brand, his name, public persona, etc. is a no-brainer from a business standpoint. Ignorance and/or petty enmity against the guy is the only reason I can conceive for not considering this, as its so basic.

A.Romero

I have way more reasons to think of Kojima as a designer capable of doing good games (although probably not cheap) than to think he will botch a game.

Kojima productions has given me so many hours of quality entertainment over the years that not only I have the game on pre-order since they announced it (cheaper Amazon price) but my brother already has plane tickets to come and play it with me on release.

I bet I'll be surprised and most likely it will be a pleasant surprise.

That said, I get why not everyone love Kojipro's games. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I feel somewhat like that with Zelda games.

mckmas8808

Have you considered that maybe the team likes it that he does this?

Komatsu

The issue with Kojima is that though he is undeniably one of the game design greats (his early PC Engine work speaks for itself), he is an absolutely mediocre “filmmaker”.

I love Metal Gear Solid 1-3, but his cinematics range from corny to poorly executed, with awkward camera angles, hammy dialogue, etc.

He says in his Twitter profile that “80% of my body is made of movies”. Go to film school, my dude.

KOMANI

KOMANI
This is your stated position, and as I explained is one mired in ignorance of how the business works. Part of Kojima's value as a partner is his media friendliness/accessibility. You call it "whoring", I call it working. And its to the benefit to everyone involved in the project.

He's drawing attention to his project and promoting it in such a way that it really stands out amongst its competition. The whole premise of this thread is based on the fact that with less than 4 months away from release we still don't really know much about Death Stranding, despite it being promoted pretty steadily over the past 3 years.

That's not accidental, that's Kojima doing his thing. As usual.

Him not doing it would be a cause for concern because one of the reasons he gets the funding he does is, because he's essentially his own brand. Leveraging that brand, his name, public persona, etc. is a no-brainer from a business standpoint. Ignorance and/or petty enmity against the guy is the only reason I can conceive for not considering this, as its so basic.
The ignorance is on your part. He doesn’t need to draw attention to himself every time. Not to the extent he does it. Thousands of developers go out and lead a team and secure funding for their projects without forcing themselves unto the marketing, the product, and the production. He’s egotistical (plays and credits himself as God, has appeared in his own game 3 times, there’s an actual “Kojima is God” codec call in PW, tweets explaining what a Hideo Kojima game is, pulls resources off of mgs4’s team to rerecord Sunny’s lines months after they finished all VA, says he writes everything himself yet he’s had writers helping him with codecs and story) and acts like a baby when he doesn’t get his way (shits on platinum for not using his ideas, shits on his own team during production of mgs3,4, & rising, lies about Policenauts being translated, lies about why it’s not being translated, then refuses to agree to translate it and offers up “forget my old games”, starts talking shit about survive, then apologizes, the whole “words and deeds” fiasco).

Hideo Kojima does not need to promote himself to the level he’s been doing so. He does’t need to at this point, or even for the last decade. It comes off as a celebration to himself. But then again, subtlety was never his strong suit.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Have you considered that maybe the team likes it that he does this?
When the product suffers, how do you think the team feels?
I also don’t care. Kojima can do whatever he wants and anyone wants to follow him. My issue is with Clear, who attacks people for the littlest of reasons and never addresses the point.

mckmas8808

When the product suffers, how do you think the team feels?
I also don’t care. Kojima can do whatever he wants and anyone wants to follow him. My issue is with Clear, who attacks people for the littlest of reasons and never addresses the point.

The product really hasn't suffered yet though.

The ignorance is on your part. He doesn’t need to draw attention to himself every time. Not to the extent he does it. Thousands of developers go out and lead a team and secure funding for their projects without forcing themselves unto the marketing, the product, and the production. He’s egotistical (plays and credits himself as God, has appeared in his own game 3 times, there’s an actual “Kojima is God” codec call in PW, tweets explaining what a Hideo Kojima game is, pulls resources off of mgs4’s team to rerecord Sunny’s lines months after they finished all VA, says he writes everything himself yet he’s had writers helping him with codecs and story) and acts like a baby when he doesn’t get his way (shits on platinum for not using his ideas, shits on his own team during production of mgs3,4, & rising, lies about Policenauts being translated, lies about why it’s not being translated, then refuses to agree to translate it and offers up “forget my old games”, starts talking shit about survive, then apologizes, the whole “words and deeds” fiasco).

Hideo Kojima does not need to promote himself to the level he’s been doing so. He does’t need to at this point, or even for the last decade. It comes off as a celebration to himself. But then again, subtlety was never his strong suit.

But he has and it's WORKED 100% of the time! Even P.T. got extra love in the video game's space because people found out it was a Kojima project. Quentin Tarintino and Steven Speilberg do the same thing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if bad is upset at how Kojima is marketed, seems like the most inconsequential thing to get upset about
Hideo Kojima does not need to promote himself to the level he’s been doing so.
i mean it's pretty much worked out for him. multiple decades and a number of award winning GOAT game titles. why should he take your advice? what have you accomplished? some random nobody complaining that his name is in the games that you buy. lol
He's drawing attention to his project and promoting it in such a way that it really stands out amongst its competition.
obviously the thing he should do is not promote himself and not promote his involvement in his projects. at least according to a random nobody on a message board. /s

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
The product really hasn't suffered yet though.

But he has and it's WORKED 100% of the time! Even P.T. got extra love in the video game's space because people found out it was a Kojima project. Quentin Tarintino and Steven Speilberg do the same thing.
PT is great. The Marketing for PT and MGSV were great. Both polar opposites in terms of marketing. PT proves he doesn’t need to circle jerk himself on twitter or on stage to sell you on an idea. MGSV wasn’t overall great. I get people love the game, but if you compare it to the fandom of the other games, it’s not close. It’s divisive. And PT never became a game. Like Solid Rising (not revengeance). Like ZOE 3.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The issue with Kojima is that though he is undeniably one of the game design greats (his early PC Engine work speaks for itself), he is an absolutely mediocre “filmmaker”.

I love Metal Gear Solid 1-3, but his cinematics range from corny to poorly executed, with awkward camera angles, hammy dialogue, etc.

He says in his Twitter profile that “80% of my body is made of movies”. Go to film school, my dude.
His fans love how bad and corny his stuff is though but I don't think anybody has ever told him that.

KOMANI

KOMANI
if bad is upset at how Kojima is marketed, seems like the most inconsequential thing to get upset about

i mean it's pretty much worked out for him. multiple decades and a number of award winning GOAT game titles. why should he take your advice? what have you accomplished? some random nobody complaining that his name is in the games that you buy. lol

obviously the thing he should do is not promote himself and not promote his involvement in his projects. at least according to a random nobody on a message board. /s
Where have i complained about his name being in the games I buy? It makes no difference to me if his name appears a hundred times during the credits. Putting your name in your game is different than calling yourself God and making the game about yourself.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Let me make it clear. Because when I say that he doesn’t need to self promote himself to the extent he’s been doing so, you choose to ignore the “the extent he’s been doing so”, cause it’s a much easier debate for you when that’s not in there. Calling me a nobody too, again a personal attack, really doesn’t back up anything you say. It just proves my point.
Kojima doesn’t need to be the center of attention all the time, he chooses to be. Good for him. I don’t give a fuck. What I care about is by acting like a rockstar, he has put people off and...he has little disciples who go on forums praise everything he does, and spread lies.
One thread we had Acid calling Nyphm an imbecile because he didn’t feel like mgsv was for him. In this thread, we had clear attack me and that other kid, for really no reason. As if we pissed in his cereal. And I got phonepunk calling me a nobody. You defend a guy, by insulting others and never even making a point. It’s like a religion. I’ve read lies by posters claiming that 50% of the old KojiPro are now in the new KojiPro, with no source. If you can’t argue with facts or stay on point, and all you got is “you’re jealous” “you’re a nobody”, why should we bother with discussion? Cause truth me told, I’d love to shit on you too, but I don’t feel like getting a ban from the criticism you can’t handle of your Lord and Savior.

i'm afraid if they do that they wont sell much.

The issue with Kojima is that he always copy movies (character design, names, scenes, ....................)

Top Bottom