• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding barely looks like a game at this point doesn't it?

demigod

Where have i complained about his name being in the games I buy? It makes no difference to me if his name appears a hundred times during the credits. Putting your name in your game is different than calling yourself God and making the game about yourself.

Kojima is my God!!!

Let me make it clear. Because when I say that he doesn’t need to self promote himself to the extent he’s been doing so, you choose to ignore the “the extent he’s been doing so”, cause it’s a much easier debate for you when that’s not in there. Calling me a nobody too, again a personal attack, really doesn’t back up anything you say. It just proves my point.
Kojima doesn’t need to be the center of attention all the time, he chooses to be. Good for him. I don’t give a fuck. What I care about is by acting like a rockstar, he has put people off and...he has little disciples who go on forums praise everything he does, and spread lies.
One thread we had Acid calling Nyphm an imbecile because he didn’t feel like mgsv was for him. In this thread, we had clear attack me and that other kid, for really no reason. As if we pissed in his cereal. And I got phonepunk calling me a nobody. You defend a guy, by insulting others and never even making a point. It’s like a religion. I’ve read lies by posters claiming that 50% of the old KojiPro are now in the new KojiPro, with no source. If you can’t argue with facts or stay on point, and all you got is “you’re jealous” “you’re a nobody”, why should we bother with discussion? Cause truth me told, I’d love to shit on you too, but I don’t feel like getting a ban from the criticism you can’t handle of your Lord and Savior.

What the shit? How is calling you a nobody a "personal attack"? Time to get off the internet, boy.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Kojima is my God!!!

What the shit? How is calling you a nobody a "personal attack"? Time to get off the internet, boy.
You are a nobody. Is that not a direct insult? I’m not offended, I just see a lot of discussions end with “youre a _____” because someone didn’t like what they heard.

The issue with Kojima is that though he is undeniably one of the game design greats (his early PC Engine work speaks for itself), he is an absolutely mediocre “filmmaker”.

I love Metal Gear Solid 1-3, but his cinematics range from corny to poorly executed, with awkward camera angles, hammy dialogue, etc.

He says in his Twitter profile that “80% of my body is made of movies”. Go to film school, my dude.
I'm sorry, did YOU go to film school?

Kojima is an auteur and a fantastic filmmaker.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The ignorance is on your part. He doesn’t need to draw attention to himself every time. Not to the extent he does it. Thousands of developers go out and lead a team and secure funding for their projects without forcing themselves unto the marketing, the product, and the production. He’s egotistical (plays and credits himself as God, has appeared in his own game 3 times, there’s an actual “Kojima is God” codec call in PW, tweets explaining what a Hideo Kojima game is, pulls resources off of mgs4’s team to rerecord Sunny’s lines months after they finished all VA, says he writes everything himself yet he’s had writers helping him with codecs and story) and acts like a baby when he doesn’t get his way (shits on platinum for not using his ideas, shits on his own team during production of mgs3,4, & rising, lies about Policenauts being translated, lies about why it’s not being translated, then refuses to agree to translate it and offers up “forget my old games”, starts talking shit about survive, then apologizes, the whole “words and deeds” fiasco).

Hideo Kojima does not need to promote himself to the level he’s been doing so. He does’t need to at this point, or even for the last decade. It comes off as a celebration to himself. But then again, subtlety was never his strong suit.

Seriously, tell me how I'm not supposed to take this as you having an axe to grind against Kojima? It really is a great of example of that "See that bitch eating crackers like she owns the place" meme!

As per usual you fail to counter my points about why Kojima's self-promotion is beneficial to the product and his staff and instead fall back onto the same petty non-arguments and explicitly describe your resentment at his prominence.

Kojima is not an average developer. The guy's been at the top of the food-chain for decades so frankly I'd expect him to have a massive ego, he's earned it. Besides, who cares if he has? Its not relevant to my enjoyment of his works.

I buy his games because I find them reliably enjoyable to play, and full of characteristic idiosyncrasy and quirky ideas. I like the "flavor", and I respect that he takes the prominence he enjoys seriously to try and say something meaningful through his work.

I dig Yoko Taro's stuff for similar reasons. Their games feel like personal expressions, not product designed by committee.

Something that can only come about from ego by the way. Regardless how self-effacing Yoko presents himself as being, you only get that result by fighting for your vision and telling people that their well-intentioned ideas are not fit for inclusion.

Last edited:
The ignorance is on your part. He doesn’t need to draw attention to himself every time. Not to the extent he does it. Thousands of developers go out and lead a team and secure funding for their projects without forcing themselves unto the marketing, the product, and the production. He’s egotistical (plays and credits himself as God, has appeared in his own game 3 times, there’s an actual “Kojima is God” codec call in PW, tweets explaining what a Hideo Kojima game is, pulls resources off of mgs4’s team to rerecord Sunny’s lines months after they finished all VA, says he writes everything himself yet he’s had writers helping him with codecs and story) and acts like a baby when he doesn’t get his way (shits on platinum for not using his ideas, shits on his own team during production of mgs3,4, & rising, lies about Policenauts being translated, lies about why it’s not being translated, then refuses to agree to translate it and offers up “forget my old games”, starts talking shit about survive, then apologizes, the whole “words and deeds” fiasco).

Hideo Kojima does not need to promote himself to the level he’s been doing so. He does’t need to at this point, or even for the last decade. It comes off as a celebration to himself. But then again, subtlety was never his strong suit.

A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME starting and ending in every MGSV mission, he's so stupid he put protagonists names blowing the suspense, you know in advance who you'r going to face in that mission.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Seriously, tell me how I'm not supposed to take this as you having an axe to grind against Kojima? It really is a great of example of that "See that bitch eating crackers like she owns the place" meme!

As per usual you fail to counter my points about why Kojima's self-promotion is beneficial to the product and his staff and instead fall back onto the same petty non-arguments and explicitly describe your resentment at his prominence.

Kojima is not an average developer. The guy's been at the top of the food-chain for decades so frankly I'd expect him to have a massive ego, he's earned it. Besides, who cares if he has? Its not relevant to my enjoyment of his works.

I buy his games because I find them reliably enjoyable to play, and full of characteristic idiosyncrasy and quirky ideas. I like the "flavor", and I respect that he takes the prominence he enjoys seriously to try and say something meaningful through his work.

I dig Yoko Taro's stuff for similar reasons. Their games feel like personal expressions, not product designed by committee.

Something that can only come about from ego by the way. Regardless how self-effacing Yoko presents himself as being, you only get that result by fighting for your vision and telling people that their well-intentioned ideas are not fit for inclusion.
You know how you take it Clear? Disagree, make your point, no need to insult anyone unless they’re dicks. All I’m saying is he comes off as an arrogant prick. I like Kojima, I like most of his games, I have not said one negative thing about DS (not too crazy on the name). I feel he’s a prick, and you don’t, and want to share why? Cool. Your opinion does’t damage my opinion. They can coexist. Don’t be a dick. And not because it hurts my snowflake heart, I don’t want to catch a ban for something as trivial as video game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You know how you take it Clear? Disagree, make your point, no need to insult anyone unless they’re dicks. All I’m saying is he comes off as an arrogant prick. I like Kojima, I like most of his games, I have not said one negative thing about DS (not too crazy on the name). I feel he’s a prick, and you don’t, and want to share why? Cool. Your opinion does’t damage my opinion. They can coexist. Don’t be a dick. And not because it hurts my snowflake heart, I don’t want to catch a ban for something as trivial as video game.

I've attacked your arguments and statements only. If all I intended was to flame you, or make the argument personal, trust me I wouldn't have bothered writing so much. My hope was that by carefully articulating the reasons why what you take to be negatives are actually major positives in a business and creative sense, we could move the discussion onto more productive grounds.

Oh well...

Let him breath, my G.
whew.png

KOMANI

KOMANI
I've attacked your arguments and statements only. If all I intended was to flame you, or make the argument personal, trust me I wouldn't have bothered writing so much. My hope was that by carefully articulating the reasons why what you take to be negatives are actually major positives in a business and creative sense, we could move the discussion onto more productive grounds.

Oh well...
No you didn’t attack only my arguments. You called my stance “petty jealousy”. I get your point. And I’m saying he doesn’t need to go as far as he does. The marketing of PT proves it. And right there, we don’t agree. Fine. Don’t throw the petty jealous insult and call me ignorant cause you imagine I have zero credibility to have an opinion. Don’t back paddle. You don’t know what I do. You have zero knowledge on how much I relate with the issue.

Edit: you also said Ramzy’s opinion was garbage and worthless. And all Ramzy said was he thought Kojima was try to sell a new brand of game, it wont work, and he/she hopes they’re wrong. Go on, back paddle again.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No you didn’t attack only my arguments. You called my stance “petty jealousy”. I get your point. And I’m saying he doesn’t need to go as far as he does. The marketing of PT proves it. And right there, we don’t agree. Fine. Don’t throw the petty jealous insult and call me ignorant cause you imagine I have zero credibility to have an opinion. Don’t back paddle. You don’t know what I do. You have zero knowledge on how much I relate with the issue.

That was the only motivation I could see, and I think my perspective and rationale as I've laid out in my previous points bears that out.

I'm not back peddling an inch. I stand by my assessment (you've not even hinted a reason as to it being unfair or incorrect by the way), and I'm sorry but ignorant is the correct way to describe the whole premise.

Its glib, but the old line about "it being called show business, not friend business" kinda sums it all up. Because whether you're the head chef in a kitchen or directing a game, you live or die based on the quality of your output.

How likable you are as a boss or human being is fucking irrelevant when your career depends on positive public reception to your stuff. Doubly so when its not just your reputation on the line, but the livelihoods of everyone in your employ.

mortal

Gold Member
if they show too much some people gonna be disappointed, but if you keep it hidden people will urge to discover it at launch.
it's like the honey moon faze.
Showing one gameplay demo is showing too much of Death Stranding? lol come on now. Of course "some" people will be disappointed regardless what is shown or not shown. That can't be helped, but it would be a very small minority.

I'm a fan of Kojima's unique approach to marketing games, I don't think what I suggested would lead to that at all when I'm talking strictly about gameplay. The game itself likely to be dozens and dozens of hours long; showing 30+ minutes of uninterrupted gameplay would only serve to better inform potential consumers, both Koji Pro fans and curious players alike.

Last edited:
What are you talking about MGSV took place in Afghanistan desert battlegrounds u expected endless collectible shit and npcs just sitting in a desert while a war goes on around them?

The game gave you vehicles. You can use cars trucks vans tanks, you had the walker gear, you had the horse. If you didn’t use any of those things and instead ran from point a to point b you played it wrong no wonder you think the game was empty. Maybe if you ran to and from every mission in GTA it would be boring too

And yeah there were side missions all along the space that went unused during main missions. There were like 150 of them. When you are complaining about shit being left out that actually in the game, I dunno, what the hell are you even talking about

Oh you mean the same 150 missions where you either have to extract a captain or eliminate/fulton a squad of 5 tanks. What a fucking time to be alive and call that a side mission but people say in games like the witcher 3 or days gone, those side missions are boring.

Theres not a SINGLE character you can randomly meet, that can give you some back story or a proper mission. What, houses and caves dont exist in Afghanistan??? There arent people there that are you know, regular citizens and not only soldiers. Do you only watch CNN and that is where you get your geography class from? Even a war torn country has people living there.

Ground Zeros worked perfectly and it wasnt open world yet you could tackle the mission from any way you liked. Everything about it made sense. Having a bunch of no name Russians and South Africans soldiers ONLY in another country makes no sense. Its lazy, its an excuse just to show people how MGS "evolved" by becoming open world. And then you get a horse to run around an empty open world.

Im guessing you don't play that many games if this to you is considered the pinnacle and those rinse repeat missions are now gold standard for "side mission". Did you even play previous MGS titles?

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
I love MGS games, I enjoyed ZoE, thought PT was cool concept, haven't played but watched Snatcher and would like to play it...
But I don't like DS and think Kojima went in bad direction. Still consider him one of the greatest (with Yu Suzuki, Miyazaki, Miyamoto and Shinji Mikami) JPN game directors.
No love for Yoko Taro or Fumito Ueda? I dispise you to the guts. (joking)

Roni

Gold Member
Im guessing you don't play that many games if this to you is considered the pinnacle and those rinse repeat missions are now gold standard for "side mission". Did you even play previous MGS titles?

Spoken like someone who can't understand why people might like something you don't. Well done!

ShadyJ

He's been sniffing his own farts since MGS2.

The only reason this game will sell is because its Kojima. It will get praised by industry journo hacks and two months later be torn apart for all that's wrong with it.

Screen shot this.

Top Bottom