• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding barely looks like a game at this point doesn't it?

I think the only gameplay I saw out of like an hour of footage was him walking around on some mountain, the rest was just cutscenes or in engine scenes and some people mumbling complicated Kojima shit. am really not sure how do you get kojima. hype him up so much and basically let him make a apparently a weird project thats more of a movie than a game and expect me to be excited about it. I mean am no fan of MGS but at least those look like games.

I think he just lost his mind. hes making one of these crackhead indie movies with Sony's money into a "game" it seems like. am I wrong to say that? I mean thats what it really looks like.

"As I'm getting similar questions so I shall re-post. DS is not a stealth game. Could move subjectively but not a FPS shooting game either. By incorporating with the concept of connection(strand), it's totally brand new genre called action game/strand game(social strand system) " Kojima 2019

Last edited:
Was it suppose to be a game?

I wouldn't even blame Konami for not working with him if thats the game he wanted to make. am going to assume so considering that he was already working on it with Konami.

like what the shit is that. probably a game only the Sony folks of the past couple of systems would buy.

I hope reviewers review it as a game. and not get biased because of the high budget and kojima/Sony.

Last edited:
The criticism about there being too much walking seems unusual when you have other games like Shadow of the Colossus where you spend more time walking and riding a horse than you do fighting the colossi.

Yet in Death Stranding, we see guns, motorcycles, ladders, shadowy spirits both large and small. We're told the point of the game is to reunite stranded city populations. We have cutscenes that showcase inspiring surreal imagery and concepts but apparently no one cares about the story, just parroting "movie game" like it's still a clever thing to say.

We tell these game companies we want new IPs and new ideas and Hideo Kojima looks to be offering just that with Death Stranding.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I will support anything Kojima does so I will buy this game at launch, already pre-ordered the CE in fact. However, I do admit I still have no idea what this game is about and I have a worry it will be too Kojima-y as in just too bizarre and out there, but I will absolutely give it a fair shake and give him the benefit of the doubt. As he's a brilliant mind.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It looks like a game.

Game is not going to be released until November.

We're going start seeing more of it as soon the game gets closer to the release date.

That's just how he chooses to advertise his game.

The criticism about there being too much walking seems unusual when you have other games like Shadow of the Colossus where you spend more time walking and riding a horse than you do fighting the colossi.

Yet in Death Stranding, we see guns, motorcycles, ladders, shadowy spirits both large and small. We're told the point of the game is to reunite stranded city populations. We have cutscenes that showcase inspiring surreal imagery and concepts but apparently no one cares about the story, just parroting "movie game" like it's still a clever thing to say.

We tell these game companies we want new IPs and new ideas and Hideo Kojima looks to be offering just that with Death Stranding.
the comparison with SOTC is ridiculous, how do you compare something originally made on the PS2 (with hardware limitations) i'm not talking about graphics here, i'm talking about idea's that cant be made on a PS2, the BUDGET of DS must be ridiculous, Kojima wanna be a film maker is ridiculous, i already posted on another thread what possibly we might be getting from this game (judging by trailers)

This game is an MGSV clone, you gonna get dropped on the map (like mgs) carry that bag to this area, go get a sample from this area and be careful some weird freaks wearing masks lurk in the area, and drop a tear to see those invisible ghosts .
looks promising, can't wait.

I mean am no fan of MGS but at least those look like games.

It looks like those games. Have you never played one?

Before/after boss fights you have long discussions of backstories, philosophical discussions. We've seen short clips of gameplay, and it looks stealth and combat based, but most people play Kojima games for the characters and story.

Ryu Kaiba

There's clearly fisticuffs, Shooting, motorcycling, boss battles and stealth elements present in the trailers are you watching with your eyes closed. I personally love RP walking in games. Taking my time helps me settle into the character in games like God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn. Videogames don't have to all be constant call of duty shooting to be interesting.

Here's one of the handful of games outside of indies thats being developed by someone who is passionate about art and creativity and were getting complaints because there's not enough shooty shooty in the trailer.

Last edited:
It looks like those games. Have you never played one?

Before/after boss fights you have long discussions of backstories, philosophical discussions. We've seen short clips of gameplay, and it looks stealth and combat based, but most people play Kojima games for the characters and story.
MGS4............

the comparison with SOTC is ridiculous, how do you compare something originally made on the PS2 (with hardware limitations) i'm not talking about graphics here, i'm talking about idea's that cant be made on a PS2, the BUDGET of DS must be ridiculous, Kojima wanna be a film maker is ridiculous, i already posted on another thread what possibly we might be getting from this game (judging by trailers)
Hardware limitations, my ass. The PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus is the same game as the original only with better graphics. So it's not ridiculous, just be more open-minded about gameplay. I'm not even sure why people make a big deal about cutscenes as if it hasn't been commonplace in video games for decades.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Those air quotes are in the wrong spot. They should be around "legend".
"Game industry legend"
dr-evil-air-quotes-laser.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This thread is hilarious. So much time and effort spent moaning about a game they know fuck all about, by a creator who they apparently have an axe to grind against despite decades of popularity...

Who are you chuckleheads trying to convince here?

So what's the point of this post? Are you complaining that Kojima is trying something new compared to the rest of the industry or you do want Kojima to make another cookie cutter game like the rest of the industry?

Let's ask people looking forward to the Final Fantasy VII remake.
and ??? it's fans decision to choose if it's suits them, if not they wont buy it, they will be more offended by it.

Is a shit game that Kojima made specifically because he did not want to.
is this a fan statement or a real statement from kojima ?
hyped game producer that hes desire is to tank his own game ... uhmm it's so hard for me to understand.

Here's one of the handful of games outside of indies thats being developed by someone who is passionate about art and creativity and were getting complaints because there's not enough shooty shooty in the trailer.
"Don't make the game you want to make, longtime game developer, make the one I want!"

Imagine being passionate about creating something and having people give you shit for it before it's even released.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I think the only gameplay I saw out of like an hour of footage was him walking around on some mountain, the rest was just cutscenes or in engine scenes and some people mumbling complicated Kojima shit. am really not sure how do you get kojima. hype him up so much and basically let him make a apparently a weird project thats more of a movie than a game and expect me to be excited about it. I mean am no fan of MGS but at least those look like games.

I think he just lost his mind. hes making one of these crackhead indie movies with Sony's money into a "game" it seems like. am I wrong to say that? I mean thats what it really looks like.

"As I'm getting similar questions so I shall re-post. DS is not a stealth game. Could move subjectively but not a FPS shooting game either. By incorporating with the concept of connection(strand), it's totally brand new genre called action game/strand game(social strand system) " Kojima 2019

Nonsense

This game look exciting so far

Lets just wait for the final verdict before droping early judgement shall we

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

This thread is hilarious. So much time and effort spent moaning about a game they know fuck all about, by a creator who they apparently have an axe to grind against despite decades of popularity...

Who are you chuckleheads trying to convince here?

They need a place to commiserate with each other after the awesomeness that was that Heartman trailer and the inevitable Game of the Year accolades.

Saber

Gold Member
I just hope its not a similar case to The Order. Is a great looking game but acts more like a movie, which makes it a bad game.

I've been pretty burned out on open-world games since the late PS3/360 era, but it's always amusing to see which open-world/exploration games get praised to high heaven (Witcher 3, Bethesda games, RDR2) and which ones get critiqued to hell and back, especially ones that aren't even released yet.

I think the only gameplay I saw out of like an hour of footage was him walking around on some mountain, the rest was just cutscenes or in engine scenes and some people mumbling complicated Kojima shit.
Then you haven't been paying attention. They've shown off driving motorcycles, hand to hand combat, shooting, stealth sections and a little of the tools you'll have for exploration.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Policenauts vibes any one? Interactive Cinema they once said/claimed
I'd like to see Death Stranding as spiritual successor to Policenauts, only now with believable characters (based on real actors who are household names), great graphics courtesy of the Decima Engine and what not. It's gonna be absolutely incredible, believe me. You hafta believe me.

71qnC8p9D4L.jpg

Barakov

Had my doubts but the trailer at E3 showed that there seems to be an actual videogame behind all the transportation of various "things" this game has.

when the gameplays only purpose is to link cutscenes then I have to raise the question "why is it even a video game and not a movie?"

like we're jus
Policenauts vibes any one? Interactive Cinema they once said/claimed
I'd like to see Death Stranding as spiritual successor to Policenauts, only now with believable characters (based on real actors who are household names), great graphics courtesy of the Decima Engine and what not. It's gonna be absolutely incredible, believe me. You hafta believe me.

71qnC8p9D4L.jpg

sure. it was a trailblazing era. but you don't come on stage with big guns "am back" to give us a quantic dream project that prob costs a ton of money because ur nuts

Fbh

In a way I both like and dislike the approach they have taken with this.

Purely as a consumer looking at a product I still have no idea if I'll pick this up. For me personally Kojima lost his "must buy" status quite some time ago so I need to see there's a game I'll like somewhere before I decide to spend my money on it. If this game was released by surprise tomorrow I wouldn't buy it, I'd wait a few days to read impressions and details around here.

At the same time I think this approach of keeping everything intentionally mysterious is interesting and definitely gives it a different vibe, which I imagine is what they are going for. When we are so used to every game having so much info and pre release footage, streams, betas, maybe 2 or 3 rounds of previews on top of several "30 minutes of gameplay" videos popping up on Youtube it's definitely noteworthy having a release coming in just a few months while still having so little info about it.
In a way it almost makes me more interest in it...... just not in the "sure here's $60" kind of way

Last edited:

Astral Dog

its going to be the best game of all time , sell millions of copies and Kojima will be praised to heaven justfor being the most talented and creative videogame director every gamer will be shocked after seeing his vision come to life on TV this November, children will scream

Top Bottom