• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, January 10th

Welfare

Predicting new software.

Final Fantasy XV ~1.1M
PS4 ~800K
XB1 ~300K

Dead Rising 4 ~230K
The Last Guardian ~200K

Also 5 hours left to make/edit predictions.

ethomaz

Banned
Cosmo... are you here?

Remember when we are talking about the actual reviewers and some others guys said today reviewers are harsher than they used to be in previous generations... I used the MGSV example showing the reviewers are close to same but it was not exactly the best example because MGSV is a different game compared with MGSIV.

I guess you even made a metacritic table showing the avg. scores are similar.

Surprise I opened the GAF today and the DQVIII 3DS review thread was up with the same Metacritic score it received on PS2.

Great games scores great no matter the generation.

giphy.gif

Comparison post here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227609085&postcount=169

[XB1] 1060K
[PS4] 1050K

[3DS] 660K
[WIU] 70K

PS4 Pro - 150K
NES Mini - 100K
PSVR - 70K

[XB1] 1111k
[PS4] 1100k

[3DS] 625k
[WIU] 100k

[3DS] 650k
[PS4] 1100k
[WIU] 60k
[XB1] 1100k

FFXV is top 4. Mario Maker is > 500K. Dead Rising beats The Last Guardian.

[3DS] 500k
[PS4] 1115k
[WIU] 50k
[XB1] 1100k

Predictions
  • FFXV will sell less than a 1M at retail ~750k (75/25 split).
  • 3DS should have sold more units but Nintendo forgot to produce more of it.
  • HW will be down again YOY and MOM
  • TLG - 175k
  • DR4 - 200k

What's your definition of a statistical tie?

this is my defintion of a statistical tie
anything below 15k and 1.5% difference
the next lowest gap many predicted was 30k or about 3%

back in April 2016 the gap between Xb1 and Ps4 was just 7.2k units and many called it a tie, while the % difference was at least 4.3%

this is my defintion of a statistical tie
anything below 15k and 1.5% difference
the next lowest gap many predicted was 30k or about 3%

back in April 2016 the gap between Xb1 and Ps4 was just 7.2k units and many called it a tie, while the % difference was at least 4.3%
Okay. Thanks for clarification

Scorpio seems to have turned out to be another in a long list of items on the chalkboard of "what will save Xbox?" but one, like some before, is about to go wrong.

I would call it effective PR (especially for the core base that are eagerly looking forward to it) but more and more it seems that their PR has locked them in a really bad position.

They've basically committed themselves into a singular vision (6tf, native 4k) and they are stuck there without perhaps more profitable alternatives, all for a product that I feel MS themselves have fallen for the hype of.

It's gonna be a rude awakening, especially for some of the core hoping for some sales shift.

Now let's wait for Scorpio'S actuall announcement (incl. price and additional exclusive XBOX One games) before we administer the last rites, shall we?

If its value for money turns out to be very appealing, it cold still sell well even if it lacks notheworthy exclusive content at launch.

Cosmo... are you here?.

You're remembering right, The distribution of review scores across all games is basically exactly the same. The idea that reviewers are tougher now is an idea not supported by the data. There are fewer games rated highly, however there are fewer games being reviewed. The % of games which review those high ratings is virtually unchanged.

As for statistical ties, it's good to remember that NPD has to extrapolate total hardware sales based on a certain % coverage of the market POS. Based on that projection rate and overall volume, differences of a few thousand or even tens of thousands of units could certainly be contained within a range of error and be considered a statistical tie.

Scorpio seems to have turned out to be another in a long list of items on the chalkboard of "what will save Xbox?" but one, like some before, is about to go wrong.

I would call it effective PR (especially for the core base that are eagerly looking forward to it) but more and more it seems that their PR has locked them in a really bad position.

They've basically committed themselves into a singular vision (6tf, native 4k) and they are stuck there without perhaps more profitable alternatives, all for a product that I feel MS themselves have fallen for the hype of.

It's gonna be a rude awakening, especially for some of the core hoping for some sales shift.

UK retailer on PS4 pro and Scorpio:
uk_retailer_mcvukl4svp.png

Now let's wait for Scorpio'S actuall announcement (incl. price and additional exclusive XBOX One games) before we administer the last rites, shall we?

If its value for money turns out to be very appealing, it cold still sell well even if it lacks notheworthy exclusive content at launch.

I'm not administering last rites so much as it's something I've noticed, especially in the past few weeks as we head into launch. I never expected Scorpio (or Pro for that matter) to do particularly well and I don't that remotely changing.

Now that we have market data, MS's PR stunt last E3 seems even more hilarious in hindsight. They gave up a lot of flexibility for what essentially amounts to Internet points. They are constrained by a CG ad and unlike say Sony, for some reason they actually seem to be putting hopes into it.

Seems foolish.

AmyS

I know predictions are closed, but what time are we expecting official numbers, and PR statements, being that they would be the first ones of the new year ?

Welfare

I know predictions are closed, but what time are we expecting official numbers, and PR statements, being that they would be the first ones of the new year ?

For PR, same time as they usually come out. Sometime after 6PM EST, maybe a winner announcement before then but after 5PM EST. Maybe we can get another article from Windows Central :p

Loudninja

So PSVR is pretty much out of stock everywhere globally so it seems the hardware itself has performed better than what Sony expected but then at the same time they continue to shut down their VR studios. What the hell is logic here?
This is not right though Sony London has move on to their next VR project.

So PSVR is pretty much out of stock everywhere globally so it seems the hardware itself has performed better than what Sony expected but then at the same time they continue to shut down their VR studios. What the hell is logic here?

Compared to other PSVR games, Rigs didn't do well commercially.

Elandyll

Banned
My guess is that 1st party dev was needed to help the initial push, but now maybe Sony is counting on the overall install base Occulus/ Vive/ PSVR to bring 3rd party titles as developping exclusively for 1 isn't a good idea I imagine (unless bankrolled by a platform maker for specific titles, like Crytek).

Feel bad for Cambridge though :(

Maybe it was based on the performance of Rigs.

Compared to other PSVR games, Rigs didn't do well commercially.
My guess is that 1st party dev was needed to help the initial push, but now maybe Sony is counting on the overall install base Occulus/ Vive/ PSVR to bring 3rd party titles as developping exclusively for 1 isn't a good idea I imagine (unless bankrolled by a platform maker for specific titles, like Crytek).

Feel bad for Cambridge though :(

That is still pretty damn brutal fate. You are put in charge on developing flagship title for accessory device that will have small userbase at the beginning and then when the game flops on that tiny userbase you are out of job.

Welfare

PS4 won http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/12/p...ome-console-in-december-in-the-united-states/

Much bigger month than expected

December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the U.S., and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD," a Microsoft spokesperson said. ”In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One S at E3."

PS4 < 1,582,000
XB1 > 1,376,000

XB1 v PS4 gap July - October 2016

November gap

~167K

Elandyll

Banned
Told ya Prim. :)

So PS4 > 1.37m but < 1.6m

Lol at the MS pr spin, but it gives us good info to dig in.
Looks like it was a narrow win probably.

Top Bottom