• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deception IV |OT| Delta Horse Humiliation Game

Gamefly is listing my pending Vita version rental as shipping on the 27th. Dunno what that means, just thought I'd mention for anyone else expecting GF to ship on the 24th.

Flunkie

Banned
Never played any of these games but this looks somewhat fun. Any word on pricing, specifically on Vita? Looks to be a better/more appealing mobile game.

Edit: Ew, a full $40? I'll be waiting for a price drop. Looks interesting, but not full price interesting.

Played Deception 2 and 3 (especially 3) to death. Largely skipped Trapt, could never get the timing right with the increased framerate. Looking forward to D4.

matmanx1

I remember playing the first game in the series and having a pretty good time with it. I haven't played any since then but I still find the concept to be interesting.

Isn't there some kind of story going on that loosely ties all of the trapping and torturing together?

Not jazzed on the character design, but a new Deception is always gonna be on my radar.

Edit: Checking PSN for Trapt and my PS3 is trying to tell me that I haven't played it in a while, sticks on the controller developed that patented Dualshock oily discharge.

Never play or heard of this series before. I will pick this up on the vita after a little bit. My wallet is recovering from the damage this month.

esterk

Haven't played any of these before, but it looks like a fun portable game. Already paid off my vita preorder, hopefully reviews/GAF impressions will get me to pick it up.

Dantis

Looking forward to playing this, but not sure if I'm renting or buying yet.

The three daemons look silly. The main character looks okay.

Trapt's art was better, I think. Is this the same artist? The actual art style looks similar to the art on the status screen on Trapt.

I'm really glad I decided to pick up a PS3 again, I forgot this was coming so soon. Trapt was one of my favorite dumb guilty pleasures on the PS2.

I don't know where I'm going to find the time for it, but I have the PAL Vita version preordered. Bought Trapt the other way as I've never played any games in this series before, so hopefully gonna give that a go before next weekend.

BlackJace

I dont understand what you mean?

The game is very simple.

You design elaborate, crazy traps in a rube goldberg like fashion to kill your enemies

Maybe he doesn't like the new sexy-demon waifus and prefers the character style of the older Deception games.

For those who played and finished the japanese version, how long is the game? At least the story mode.

What pajamas said, I've actually never played a deception game before, so I was just curious if the meat of game isn't hidden behind a wall of jarring designs and sexual undertones.

Kumubou

It's been what... 8 years since Trapt? Damn, I feel old. It's kind of weird how it's called Deception 4 in the US and Europe, even though it's the fifth game in the series (and they've all been localized). I'm also thinking of streaming my misadventures in this game as well, so the world can see how truly sadlife I am.

With a thread title like that, I now have no choice but to buy it. Time to preorder.
Of course you would show up in this thread! :3

cj_iwakura

Looking forward to playing this, but not sure if I'm renting or buying yet.

The three daemons look silly. The main character looks okay.

Trapt's art was better, I think. Is this the same artist? The actual art style looks similar to the art on the status screen on Trapt.

It could be, but it seems a little more anime-ish than Kagero II's art..

kagero2.jpg

That's the style I associate with the series.

cj_iwakura

Also, I have heard this game continues the lovable trend of heavily armored AI who take your traps and like it, and the agile thieves who you can't touch.

(Hopefully the armor breaking mechanic can take the former down a notch.)

New character designs sure are moe-fied, but there's much worse out there. The game looks great, and I hope it finds an audience with gamers who want something similar to but different from Dungeon Keeper.

I just don't understand why more games like this aren't at least a package deal. I can understand wanting more money and therefore no Cross-buy, but why not bundle the PS3 and Vita versions for $60 or something? They would get more sales because most people won't pay $90 for both versions but they might bite on a discount bundle.

TomShoe

Banned
This game sounds a lot like Trapt from the old PS2 days. I remember burning lots of time on it, even though everyone said it was pretty crappy. I loved it, though the magma level was hard as hell.

I hope the blue PS3 box art becomes a regular thing:

mmmm

Slermy

Man, that horse really bothers me. I don't think I'll EVER use that one.

I think it's more disturbing since it's something that was actually used?

It is, it's the new standard box design.

I want more people to buy this so I don't have to wait another 9 years for a sequel.

"Is there any exploration or anything?"

Not at all. The game progresses in stages. Each stage may havediffering areas and has different set ups for traps and different type of enemies. Being creative with your traps will allow you to beat the harder enemies since a lot of them will have immunity to certain traps.

edit: I hope the other game's costumes are unlockable like how trapt's was able to use the deception II outfit. Deception III was awful looking though.

I would buy it if it was more physics/realism based. I love the concept, style, visuals, etc...but the traps needs to affect the bodies of enemies realistically. I don't mean like get rid of the banana peel (lol) but a giant axe needs to chop the character in half, mortal kombat style >_>

Eusis

This game sounds a lot like Trapt from the old PS2 days. I remember burning lots of time on it, even though everyone said it was pretty crappy. I loved it, though the magma level was hard as hell.

mmmm
It clearly is. I kinda wish it didn't though because that really should be the PS4's thing and I'd like to see more covers go black with "Only on Playstation" on the top bar rather than GT6 being all alone there, but at least that's no longer sticking out like a sore thumb.

And while I understand censoring the cover for retail (though I'm disappointed in general that they're that uptight and have that influence, whether or not it really needed to be on the cover) I find it comical all that other stuff thrown on. It's like they went "well fuck it, we're changing it anyway" and just decided to throw whatever else at it while Photoshop was open.

Usobuko

Banned
Played plenty of Tower Defence from WC3 Mod as well as Dungeon Defenders. I might give series a go when I have a chance. The pricing is appropriate for me.

Kumubou

I would buy it if it was more physics/realism based. I love the concept, style, visuals, etc...but the traps needs to affect the bodies of enemies realistically. I don't mean like get rid of the banana peel (lol) but a giant axe needs to chop the character in half, mortal kombat style >_>
I don't think that would work very well in this game, as a lot of the traps would be instantly fatal and it would just mess with way too many systems. That and you couldn't really chain traps together if the first one cuts them in half.

As for more gore... maybe if the game was developed by a western studio. :x

I don't think that would work very well in this game, as a lot of the traps would be instantly fatal and it would just mess with way too many systems. That and you couldn't really chain traps together if the first one cuts them in half.

Exactly. The tougher enemies in late game have so much health and immune to many traps that it forces you to create long combos to finish them off in one go before they recover or even kill you. If they died in one 'realistic' hit, it would take away much of the difficulty.

As for more gore... maybe if the game was developed by a western studio. :x

I'm way more interested in this as a lark where you build a maniacal machine. I mean, I don't really care if they had a mode where the enemies exploded in a puddle, but this seems more fun like it is :p

I'm intrigued by the system, it sounds like some kind of wacky board game. I dunno, just really keen to try this.

This game looks like silly fun. I've never played a Deception/Kagero game before, but I am considering trying this one. It seems like the sort of game that would be a lot of fun to stream/play with friends watching/controller passing. I would like to pick it up just for fun one day, but $60 is a little much for a game I want to try, so I might go Vita even though I would like to play this on the big screen. Does this game have cross-buy? What about cross-play?

killatopak

I just don't understand why more games like this aren't at least a package deal. I can understand wanting more money and therefore no Cross-buy, but why not bundle the PS3 and Vita versions for $60 or something? They would get more sales because most people won't pay $90 for both versions but they might bite on a discount bundle.

Not all people have a Vita and a PS3.

This game looks like silly fun. I've never played a Deception/Kagero game before, but I am considering trying this one. It seems like the sort of game that would be a lot of fun to stream/play with friends watching/controller passing. I would like to pick it up just for fun one day, but $60 is a little much for a game I want to try, so I might go Vita even though I would like to play this on the big screen. Does this game have cross-buy? What about cross-play?

Be glad as it is priced at $50.

Artorias

Banned
If you're a 90s PC gamer, it plays like the Incredible Machine:

469057-the-incredible-machine-pc-98-screenshot-a-pistol-duel-between.gif

The game is basically a twisted take on Rube Goldberg devices.

Is the gun going to shoot the cat? This looks awesome but it also looks like a pet shooting puzzle game. Or maybe its a war between the cat and the gold fish. And the gold fish has dynamite. So I'm betting he has demands.

Top Bottom