• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

Paracelsus said:
So Gears of War-like controls are confirmed in the final version?

I guess all that bitchin-n-moanin helped somehow.

Is this true? Went from a must buy to not even a rental after playing the demo.
No I don't need something exactly like Gears but something that works would be nice Capcom, thanks.

schick85

How do you get Sheva to give you ammo?
'cause I had no ammo in the 2nd level while she had two full clips to herself.

slider

DarkUSS said:
Yeah but does it work? How do you accept friend invites?

Yeah, that's slightly counter intuitive. Triangle on the friend on your friends list and "accept invitation" after they've sent that auto-generated message.

Hold on, memory hazy. I think after that it'll list the invite messages and you chose the latest/standing one... click it and you have the option not to reply but join.

Let us know how you get on.

EDIT: And yeah, it let me join no probs. Only once (on a non friend's game) did it drop out.

Threi

notag
schick85 said:
How do you get Sheva to give you ammo?
'cause I had no ammo in the 2nd level while she had two full clips to herself.

IIRC you go into the inventory (Y), press RB to access her inventory, select the ammo and select "request"

*edit*
oops, forgot its the PS3 version. well change Y to triangle and RB to R1

Wow Capcom. You've killed my anticipation for this.

I know its "just a demo" but I'm not liking the controls or the forced co-op.

I guess this one is just not for me.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
krypt0nian said:
Wow Capcom. You've killed my anticipation for this.

I know its "just a demo" but I'm not liking the controls or the forced co-op.

I guess this one is just not for me.

I kind of hated the parts with Ashley in RE4 so I'm also a bit put off about this. Sure, Sheva can defend herself, but I'm not very fond of the idea of having to babysit another character in an action game. At least playing singleplayer.

biocat

I booted up the demo after a couple hour session with Dead Space and was blown away...

by the shitty inventory system.

I know Dead Space's menu system is pretty bleeding edge innovative, and I don't expect RE5 to copy it, but the difference was kind of staggering.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I played through it now. It's pretty awesome. I too was not a fan of Ashley, but Sheva can hold her own, and I can use her to fetch ammo and stuff, and she does it on her own sometimes. She takes a lot of the tedium out.

I'm using control type D, where shooting is using R1 after readied, and knifing is R2(?), and you can strafe with the left stick, and move around with the right. Clicking to run is fine with me, as it opens up the option for me to strafe, and makes the game feel less tank-y :)lol), and more game-y ;) But yeah, Control Type D for the win.

I was not going to buy this game, as I figured I'd be knee deep in KZ2 by the time this launched, but this demo has cemented that I have to buy this game on or around launch time. It's freaking awesome. I just remembered why I love the series and don't know how I could have been thinking about not buying this game in the near future.

Edit:

Inventory system is fine with me. Protip: You can quick select items in the cardinal directions (up, down, left right), using the D-Pad, so assign one to one gun, another to another gun, and ammo and herbs on the other two. Don't really have to futz around in the inventory system too much unless you're asking for ammo, but Sheva's smart enough to give me some if she has any left over.

schick85

The inventory system, the co-op mode, the controls scheme, not being able to aim while walking, etc.. are stuff I can cope with.
(although I prefer the controls of Dead Space)

The only thing I probably won't be able to get over though is the Caucasian/Arabic zombies I see on screen.

I still can't believe Capcom bought into that bullshit.

Why not add Asian zombies into the mix too, huh? Why didn't anyone raise an eyebrow when we were "ethnic cleansing" the Spaniards in RE4?

comrade

After 5 runs through the demo on each level respectively the only slow down I notice is on the Shanty Town when the Axe Man busts into the room you're in. Once again this game is soooooooooooo good. Can't wait for KZ2 and RE5.

ypo

Aiming sucks in the demo. Seems like aiming/camera acceleration turns on and off way too fast/often.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
if anyone wants to run through it, psn name is in profile. Be aware that I've done the 360 demo bunches of times so I expect you to not die.

Returners

schick85 said:
Why not add Asian zombies into the mix too, huh? Why didn't anyone raise an eyebrow when we were "ethnic cleansing" the Spaniards in RE4?

I saw a screenshot of an asian zombie in RE5 :D

Jaruru

played the 360 demo, like it so far.
will dl the PSN demo tonite and get the PS3 version of the game.

is there any way I can plan as local LAN with this game? to avoid splitscreen and possible lag issue.

Alright, here's the viewpoint from someone who's never played a Resident Evil game.

I first tried the demo in single player(Public Assembly) and the be honest, as soon as the game started. I did not know what I was doing at all. I pressed R1 to shoot and nothing happened, I thought it may be set to R2 as some other PS3 games have done in regards to weapons, no dice.

Let me just say though that I went into this demo with a negative mindset and not expecting much after the endless cries of terrible controls. I was seriously disappointed by the controls as well but went over each configuration until I found one that would get the job done.(Control type D). I could now finally shoot by pressing L1 to am a R1 to fire, that's all that I needed.I died the first time going through it as Sheva never healed me and left me to the task of healing us both. It didn't help that even though the shooting mechanics were now workable, the movement was quite bad still(Hello bad camera).

I tried the demo 3 more times in single player and never once did I feel that I was actually in control, the enemies move very fast towards you and then slow to a crawl(wtf?) just as they're in range. So pretty soon you're surrounded by enemies unless you shoot+run strategically. Again the controls hindered the experience. I quit the demo and came back about an hour later and this time I went online with other people and had a lot of fun(I had fun in single player too). having someone who heals you and watches your back as you do theirs is really wonderful and makes the game easier to manage as you're not always thinking about saving yourself.

Me and LoudNinja then did some friends only co-op together in Shanty Town and Public Assembly, once again it proved to be great fun, especially with the chainsaw guy chasing us and running to heal each other etc. But I noticed that as LoudNinja moved around(And he probably noticed this of me as well), the animations seemed very jarring when you went from shooting---->moving. And it seemed as if he was having "trouble" with the controls as well because of the way he moved and responded to different environmental factors. Especially in the Shanty Town area where you run up two flights of stairs prior to assist jumping Sheva. The turns are terrible.

But through all of that I had a lot of fun. And really that's what matters to me when I play games, how much fun can I get out of this experience. Nothing beats running up to your partner and smacking some zombies off him or her, healing and blowing up a barrel to save them from more enemies as they run away to reload. It's just awesome.

I really wish though that you could move while shooting though as that's what hampers the experience for me. The camera as well needs some serious work as it's always swerving and snapping back into some default position, which makes it hard sometimes when you're in the thick of a serious battle to relocate your enemy after you shrug them off or going around corners. I hate going around corners in this game.

But yeah, overall it was a very solid experience and I may get it day 1. Having said that, there are some things I noticed and things others said that I feel should be touched on:

1) 5GB install. For real? Didn't we already get over this when the system first came out? I mean it's not a big deal as there's tons of space of my 250 drive, but it's still stupid.

2) Sound. Why do the guns around so weak? The only weapon I fell in love with was the shotgun and the sniper rifle. Everything else just seems so weak and sounds weak as well.

3) Camera. It really needs to be pulled back and allowed to be totally maneuverable by the player instead of sticking to Chris's back.

4) Movement. I rarely died because of anything other than the terrible movement. In one instance I shot at the chainsaw guy with my sniper rifle and then ran down a bit, turned and shot again this time as I was reloading. My feet were glued to the ground and the guy ran up and took me out. I don't get why you freeze when reloading.

5) Ammo. You're given way to little ammo in the game, even when you search everywhere and are fully stocked before the enemies come, you still run out pretty fast.

6) Attacking. The knife attack is USELESS, sure it'll work when you have no ammo. But it does little damage and the biggest caveat is that as soon as you hit an enemy and they stagger back, your attacks are not close enough then. And you can't move while attacking, so you end up swiping at the air while eating an axe a few second later. Melee attacks should include punches and kicks at any time to balance this problem out.

7) Healing. Wtf at having to press triangle, select a healing item and then be given the option to equip or use in the middle of a battle.

8) Death. Why the hell do I die if Sheva dies!? or my partner dies!? Why can't I run up and still heal them? I hate it when games pull this stunt. If you both suck you'll run out of healing items soon enough anyway after numerous revivals. So lame.

todahawk

alr1ghtstart said:
if anyone wants to run through it, psn name is in profile. Be aware that I've done the 360 demo bunches of times so I expect you to not die.

I'll be on tonight after 6PM EST, PSN id=todahawk
Open for invites as well...

Nice :D . I did not expect such clean graphics. Thought it would be all gritty from the trailers. And NO JAGGIES! Damn the guy who got me worried :mad:

I really had to fight the controls at first, but remembered how to play eventually. If this game had Dead Space's dual analog movement, it would be PERFECT. *sigh* The gameplay would still be the same, Isaac moved slowly anyway. WHY???????? :`(

Threi

notag
CrushDance said:
8) Death. Why the hell do I die if Sheva dies!? or my partner dies!? Why can't I run up and still heal them? I hate it when games pull this stunt. If you both suck you'll run out of healing items soon enough anyway after numerous revivals. So lame.
Well death by zombies comes after you are put in a "dying" state. You can still resuscitate them (LOL A PUNCH IN THE GUT AND IM ALIVE NOW YAY) but chainsaw deaths are 1HKO to both players.

If the entire game is designed heavily around co-op then how would you progress through the story (which conveniently includes an alive Shiva) by yourself?

I played the Japanese Demo and I have a few impressions.

1. Right when I loaded up the game and had to look at the Japanese characters that I didn't understand. It said "BIOHAZARD 5". Now that is REALLY important for me. My friends and I would go around saying RESIDENT EVIl FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUR in that great voice so it seems the tradition will continue

2. I played control style A. This is EXACTLY the same as resident evil 4 gamecube version. So, awesome. It is completely the same. I am gonna try Control Style C and D to see what is up.

3. I had a few no sound moments(half second) which were kinda weird but it might have just been a hiccup in the game.

4. I personally think the game looks great. I really only saw a slow down once or twice but I really hope they incorporate a scary atmosphere. I just don't get scared with the midday sun shining down.

5. YES for being able to heal yourself and Sheva at the same time. I am sad that now the things don't look like herbs though. Sad Panda.

6. Maybe I just suck or can't see for anything BUT I WAS REALLY running out of ammo. There were times where sheva had to down someone because I had nothing. That is good.

Overall, I have absolutely no problem with this game. I just hope the atmosphere changes. I never really felt in danger like the Village part in RE4. Easily one of the most frantic points in the game and it happens RIGHT at the beginning, which basically says the game will have no mercy.

Erebus

slider said:
Yeah, that's slightly counter intuitive. Triangle on the friend on your friends list and "accept invitation" after they've sent that auto-generated message.

Hold on, memory hazy. I think after that it'll list the invite messages and you chose the latest/standing one... click it and you have the option not to reply but join.

Let us know how you get on.

EDIT: And yeah, it let me join no probs. Only once (on a non friend's game) did it drop out.

For real? I'm always getting the message "an error occured" when I try to join a friend's game.

Threi said:
Well death by zombies comes after you are put in a "dying" state. You can still resuscitate them (LOL A PUNCH IN THE GUT AND IM ALIVE NOW YAY) but chainsaw deaths are 1HKO to both players.

If the entire game is designed heavily around co-op then how would you progress through the story (which conveniently includes an alive Shiva) by yourself?
Quite simple. It doesn't matter if you die during game play as the characters are still there story wise, other games have done this. Everyone's dying and then you get a cut scene and everyone's fine.

Now that you mention it though, the timing to get to an ally and heal them is way to short. These aren't game breakers for me(Well Sheva thing might be) because lord know there will be some section that you'll die a lot in and friendships will be lost.

slider

DarkUSS said:
For real? I'm always getting the message "an error occured" when I try to join a friend's game.

That's annoying. Dunno what to suggest though.

I'd mistakenly thought you were having probs actually going through the process of accepting an invite (just cos I did).

Narcosis said:
You might wanna try opening the game menu and seeing what control types C and D do.

edit: Has anyone heard why the PS3 and 360 default to completely different control schemes. Is that just the fact that they are not exactly the same version of the game development-wise?

Probably because Capcom sees the PS3 version as the Eastern version, 360 version as the Western version, and they tried to make the control scheme closer to big Western games (Gears etc.)

In Japan they don't give a shit bout the West, Gears, or 360.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So when I played last night I kept getting errors when I tried to join a game. I just assumed it was cause not many other people had downloaded the demo yet. But instead I hosted myself a couple times and instantly found online partners. The funny thing is, as I played I was thinking wow this game is completely lagless! But now that I think about it, it was probably just cause I was hosting.

KTallguy

Banned
Unfortunately people would still bitch at the end of the day.
Sad that some people are so used to Gears that they can't adjust to something new/old school.

And I'm glad to hear that some people weren't having problems with the invites. It was hell for me, personally.

panda21

Arpharmd B said:
Probably because Capcom sees the PS3 version as the Eastern version, 360 version as the Western version, and they tried to make the control scheme closer to big Western games (Gears etc.)

In Japan they don't give a shit bout the West, Gears, or 360.

which scheme does the 360 demo default too?

i think i prefer type A (RE4 GC type scheme) because its the same as the old one

Teknoman

Type D is the default for both PS3 and 360 demos.

Type A is what I go with since thats what im used to and works just fine. My only complaint with the PS3 demo is that it seems to have framerate problems while the 360 demo is smooth throughout.

PS3 demo seems to be abit brighter too.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
the JPN PSN demo defaulted to Type A for me. I just tried the Euro and it was set to Type D (which I use).

Teknoman

alr1ghtstart said:
the JPN PSN demo defaulted to Type A for me. I just tried the Euro and it was set to Type D (which I use).

I've got the EU version of the demo running, so I guess NA and EU = Type D default, and JP version just goes for standard RE4 controls?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Why do people want every game homogenized into one? They designed the game to be controlled this way. It's not like they optimized the game to work with gears controls and then stripped it out at the last minute just to piss you off.

Teknoman

Saying what I said in the 360 topic:

As things are now, the game works just fine with these controls. Im sure they'll change things in RE6 or maybe even a spin off mid series game before then....but as of now, people are acting like the controls are so bad they cant play the game...when the fact is that they arent bad at all.

Could they be better? Sure. Are the bad? No.

And people still seem to enjoy RE4 replays...so its not like they cant play RE5 now.

Even in survival games that allow you to walk forward or backwards with weapon drawn (Silent Hill Homecoming) I never do. Why? Because its better to let the enemy approach you while you have a steady aim. That way you have more than enough time to do some damage then run away.

Alot of the complaints are pretty pointless...but I will say setting aiming speed to fastest is nice for people who know how to aim.

Oh and im sure the game will get darker near the beginning. Look at the difference between Shanty town and Assembly. Its getting darker...and things are probably going to heat up at night.

Erebus

slider said:
That's annoying. Dunno what to suggest though.

I'd mistakenly thought you were having probs actually going through the process of accepting an invite (just cos I did).

Yeah it took me a while to figure out how the invite system works as well.:lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How big is the download for the demo ?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
....... im torn

LOVED re4, but quit when the chainsaw women came.

love the re5 demo. but quit when the chainsaw dude came, gave him a good 20 headshots, 2 punches and a barrel explosion. he survives. i get a 1 hit kill from him. so i dunno if i want to deal with that shit. chainsaw assholes always get me. lame 1 hit kills ftl.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tiduz said:
....... im torn

LOVED re4, but quit when the chainsaw women came.

love the re5 demo. but quit when the chainsaw dude came, gave him a good 20 headshots, 2 punches and a barrel explosion. he survives. i get a 1 hit kill from him. so i dunno if i want to deal with that shit. chainsaw assholes always get me. lame 1 hit kills ftl.
I died from that guy as well. The problem is only that the demo forces you to play the level from the beginning, which sucks, but it's kind of understandable as it's just a demo.

Top Bottom