• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

Darkpen

Banned
So, I'm loving the RE5 demo, but damn, shanty town D:

That shit's hard. Chain saw dude... am I supposed to be able to kill him, or do I just run away constantly?

Darkpen said:

That shit's hard. Chain saw dude... am I supposed to be able to kill him, or do I just run away constantly?
You can kill him, takes a while though and the other zombies there makes it hard since you use ammo on them as well.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Darkpen said:

Kill him. Try not to explode any barrels prematurely, explode them when the chainsaw guy gets near them. Also, whenever he kneels down in pain, run up to him and do one of the context sensitive attacks.

Darkpen said:

I think you are supposed to run away to be able to shoot the barrels in his proximity.

I played that level one time. The chainsaw dude killed me and I didn't feel like retrying.

The game does absolutely nothing for me. I would hate on Capcom, but then SF4 is about to drop so I'm at peace with them.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
After an hour with the demo, Im sold. This game is just damn fun to play.

Facism

sykoex said:
Why do people want every game homogenized into one? They designed the game to be controlled this way.

to me it felt they left the controls this way so they didn't have to waste money and time on actually updating the AI/animation of enemies. Will still be buying the game, dunno what platform i'll go for yet, but i have dialled back my expectations of an AAA game quite considerably.

And still the flaming crossbows in modern day african setting rubs me the wrong way :p

Anyway, hope i'm pleasantly suprised come reviews and release.

The best strategy I came up with concerning ammo and such is to hog all of the handgun ammo and let Sheva use the SMG excusively. Unlike RE4, ammo is plentiful for the SMG so she won't have SMG ammo problems.

For the public assembly where she has the Sniper Rifle instead, that's more of a problem since you have to share handgun ammo, but at least that part of the game doesn't require you to kill the large axe enemy.

longdi

Banned
not sure if it has been posted but a tip to play RE5 is to take your time to counter the tank like controls. the enemies are not really dangerous for a need to twitch shoot, but ya something dun feel right with tank like controls in a 3D game this day and age.

likely to bypass this game and watch youtube for the story. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
You know, I don't get the hate that the demo's getting outside of what I'm hearing about some connection issues with online co-op. I really don't get it at all. I mean, maybe its because I'm playing it with the default control scheme that's essentially RE4, and maybe it helps that I know I can use the D-pad for quick weapon access, but other than that? I don't get the hate at all.

I know I'm going to pick this up as soon as I can scrounge up the cash for it, lol D:

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
kazuma_pt said:
can you use a headset to talk with your friend in re5 on the ps3?
yes, and if your friend doesn't have a headset, they can still hear you through their tv speakers.

Erebus

Wow having a blast with the demo here. I must have played Shanty Town like 6 times or so.

Whoever says that the game isn't good needs to be decapitated by the chainsaw guy.:lol

Pop On Arrival said:
Okay, couldn't they at least have added more than one line of dialogue per command?

Or at least allow you to move AND call your buddy =/

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the demo though! :D :D :D
Just watched RE: Degeneration over the weekend and am now on a RE high that I haven't been on since '05. fuuuuuuuuuuck! :D :D :D

Holy crap RE5 is hard. I died 3 times trying out the first level alone. How many friggin' shotgun blasts to the face does that axe guy take? Kept running out of ammo too. Do you guys think it's best to set Sheva on attack or cover?

Its taking me a bit to get used to Type A (RE4) control since I just finished playing though RE4 Wii, but I played though it on GC a few times upon release so I think I'm better off with Type A. I tried Type D first since it defaulted to that, but it didn't really work for me with the run button being on X. It just felt like they tried to shove what they thought would be an American friendly control scheme in a game that wasn't designed for it.

I'm at work right now but fuuuuuck I wanna go home and play this some more soooooo bad!!!

It seriously just feels like Mercenaries mode with a buddy .....GLORIOUS! :D

-viper-

Banned
Took me a few games getting used to the controls, especially after playing Dead Space. I don't like the controls but I think I'll just leave it as Type D, since it seems like an ok control scheme.

The game is pretty hard, especially if you play it without a co-op partner.

The graphics look gorgeous. But the bullet sponge enemies piss me off. How on earth do I kill Mr. Chainsaw without spending 20 minute constantly shooting at him? That is NOT fun.

Still, I enjoyed the demo and plan on buying it.

sykoex said:
Anyone have any tips for keeping Sheva alive during the chainsaw guy?
Play co-op online.

Volcynika

AgentOtaku said:
I'm at work right now but fuuuuuck I wanna go home and play this some more soooooo bad!!!

It seriously just feels like Mercenaries mode with a buddy .....GLORIOUS! :D

Haha, I'm on my lunch break, and I'm sad I don't have time to go back home to play now.

Guymelef

WTF Capcom, split screen :lol :lol I think that the final version will be 1-4 players.
etfdjc.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
General tips:

Run away from enemies, then use the quick turnaround (Down + X)
On Public Assembly, make your way to the top of the bus (big axe man can't get there)
On Shanty Town, just run parallel to the chainsaw man and headshot him with your rifle, then melee him (have Sheva just take out the zombies while Chris takes on the chainsaw man).
Make sure to request the ammo from your partner for the guns you have.

Pallaris

Holy crap, the framerate sucks, seriously. PS3 version may well be V-locked but can only imagine the massive rampant screen-tearing if it wasn't.

Capcom this is bullshit m8. Someone please tell me this isn't representative of the final build (some demo's are...just saying).

jett

D-Member
Oh wow...the controls are really crap. After playing other next-gen third-person shooters, this just won't do AT ALL. It's not just the fact that you can't move while you aim. You feel so fucking slow, everything you do is a clunky mess. And again with the running out of ammo shit...goddamnit. Even worse is now that I have to micro manage for a SECOND character, in real-time no less, and with one of the shittiest menus I've seen yet.

Enough with the fucking BUBUBU IT'S A SURVIVAL HORROR GAME schtick, ever since RE4 this series has turned into a shooter. RE5 is even more action-paced than its prequel. Capcom needs to update this thing. You don't need cumbersome and outdated controls to have a creepy atmosphere. RE4 was almost never tense, creepy or scary, anyway.

Graphically it's all right, there's better looking games out there. And the framerate can get QUITE horrible. This game is most definitely a no buy. I have more than enough this season with KZ2 and SF4 anyway.

CrushDance said:
You can kill him, takes a while though and the other zombies there makes it hard since you use ammo on them as well.
I really just played this level on co-op but the chainsaw guy is super easy.

At this point in the level you should have tons of rifle rounds, one single headshot from the rifle knocks the dude to his knees. When he is kneeling over you can run up and melee him, when you do he'll kind of fall back and spin for a few seconds as he's reeling from your attack, at that point your partner can go in and also melee him. By the time he recovers he should already be down the scope of your gun again. If not run straight past him, quick turn, and scope, even if he's close to you he takes sooo long to rev up his chainsaw for the 1-shot kill that you can shoot him point blank if you want easy.

Shooting barrels and transformers, you're more likely to hurt yourself... I guess if you just have pistol bullets left it would work fine though if you're careful. If you think he's hard I think you're probably underestimating how easy it is to run past every enemy in the game, literally brushing past them.

I don't know if this has been said but the Demo is up in North America now.

Sadly, I have a Japanese, European, and North American version now :p

So I just tried Config D... controls are fine now, I don't mind staying still while I shoot D: D: D:

Crisis averted! *phew*

I guess everyone's beef is with the can't move while shooting thing?

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Framerate seems to be the big issue on the ps3 demo. I haven't tried it myself just reading around forums for now since I had to fill in at work. :S

Dot50Cal

Banned
CHANGE YOUR AIMING SPEED TO FASTEST

Seriously, it makes the "SLOW ZOMG SO SLOW" a lot better. Its comparable to RE4's default (only) aiming speed. For those that want classic RE controls but with strafing, use Type C.

Loudninja

II VerTigo II said:
Framerate seems to be the big issue on the ps3 demo. I haven't tried it myself just reading around forums for now since I had to fill in at work. :S

No issues for me at all, single or online.

Dot50Cal said:
CHANGE YOUR AIMING SPEED TO FASTEST

Seriously, it makes the "SLOW ZOMG SO SLOW" a lot better. Its comparable to RE4's default (only) aiming speed. For those that want classic RE controls but with strafing, use Type C.

Yep, "Fastest" and "Type A" ....that's how I roll :D

G-Bus

Banned
Fun demo. Controls weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Kind of limiting but doesn't ruin the game. Being able to strafe would be awesome.

Co-op is a blast. My brother didn't want to play at first but I bugged him into it. An hour later he still wanted to go until we beat chainsaw guy. It was late so I called it quits after the 50th attempt. Damn is this game hard.

Don't think I'll be buying it but a rent for sure. Great co-op game.

BeeDog

Alright, just had the time to try the demo, and here's my breakdown of it:

1) Great graphics. Love the setting so far, but the colors seemed a little washed out for me. Might just be my TV settings.

2) Sheva is a decent shot, and seems to take care of herself well enough without too much babysitting. Pretty good from the little I've played.

3) The controls are truly horrible. The PS3 demo is set to Type D, and it felt very uncomfortable and strange; using the left analogue stick to run and turn (no strafing while running as far as I could tell), and being a tank while shooting isn't the best solution. RE4 was released ages ago, time to implement a new control scheme, post-Dead space. :p

4) Jesus christ, would it be too hard to add new animations, or better yet, enable ragdolls? The canned animations are horrible now.

5) The framerate (at least in the PS3 version) was very bad pretty much constantly, but the weird thing is it was more of a strange stuttering at all times (didn't notice any humongous drops, probably didn't do anything taxing while trying to stay alive :lol ). The strange thing is, from the PS3 videos I've seen so far, the framerate didn't seem like that there. :/ This might sound like wishful thinking, but could it be because the demo runs from the harddrive? If it's an older build as some say, and it was meant for disc distribution only, I wonder if loading it from the HDD somehow screws something up?

I already had a preorder of the game (of the Limited Edition no less, found it cheaper than usual), but I'm somewhat doubting it right now, mostly because of the horrible framerate (I hate knowing there's a better version out there, or coming in the form of the PC version). Hopefully it's ironed out until the release.

dalyr95

I don't mind the stay still while shooting, but what gets me is I like to pan the camera when I'm moving so I can see what I want to see, but when I run I have to keep my thumb on X, so I can't use the right analog stick, for fuck sake even MGS1 on the PS1 had analog running speed. Small nudge = walk. To the edge of the circle = Run

Also didn't notice any problems with framerate

Darkpen

Banned
I mean... people DO know they can do 180 turns by pressing down and X, right? People know that, right? I sort of miss being able to do that with just pressing down on the C-stick back on the GCN, but oh well :S

Top Bottom