• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dude I just got around to Old King Allant. I am getting trashed. He stole 3 of my soul levels. I forgot about that insane game mechanic. I was literally unable to lift my sword in the middle of a battle. Know I have to grind those levels back. Son of a bitch. Flamelurker and tower knight are a cake walk people. All you have to do is run away and jump in after they ground bash.

Might just come back to King Allant later. He just pissed me off and I pissed myself off for getting grabbed so much.
Stay away from him and let him come to you with his charge attack, dodge that and do 1-2 hits and then back away. Dont stay close to him, his close range attacks are fast and he uses his Soul sucking attack.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
In the original, if that's still in, I read you can get some headshots in as you first enter before he activates with a bow but with my bow/stats I didn't do any meaningful damage to him before he got pushed too far. I did find the special long distance bow if that works better but didn't have the stats.

Last edited:

timmyp53

In the original, if that's still in, I read you can get some headshots in as you first enter before he activates with a bow but with my bow/stats I didn't do any meaningful damage to him before he got pushed too far. I did find the special long distance bow if that works better but not the stats for it.
Yeah I manage to snipe him twice with my White bow and then he starts the dashes.

Last edited:

Alexios

Ah, in the original he never activates if you do it from the entrance, only his head shows, but each shot pushes him a bit further and eventually you can't hit him. I did throw many arrows at him but the first did like 8-9 damage and after that they did 2 or 3 iirc since he was too far for my bow/stats.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Ah, in the original he never activates if you do it from the entrance, only his head shows, but each shot pushes him a bit further and eventually you can't hit him. I did throw many arrows at him but the first did like 8-9 damage and after that they did 2 or 3 iirc since he was too far for my bow/stats.
I hadnt really tried I guess but AI and stuff should be the same. It's possible it might be the same.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finished first playthrough with my strength build tonight. Actually managed to beat Allant on my first attempt. I remember I really struggled with him in the original, but this time was easy. Started into NG+ and also started a Magician for my Magic playthrough.

timmyp53

Finished first playthrough with my strength build tonight. Actually managed to beat Allant on my first attempt. I remember I really struggled with him in the original, but this time was easy. Started into NG+ and also started a Magician for my Magic playthrough.
I honestly just went for him as soon as I got an archdemon. So I'm probably significantly underleveled.

How long does it take to go one play threw?

Was thinking about getting this game and was just wondering.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I honestly just went for him as soon as I got an archdemon. So I'm probably significantly underleveled.
I was SL 61, but I'm not sure if that's considered over or underleveled. Took him head on with the Meat Cleaver and he did manage to take one of my levels.

How long does it take to go one play threw?

Was thinking about getting this game and was just wondering.

The PS5 states my playtime as 35 hours. That's with my first character I beat the game with (but skipped some optional stuff), clearing 1-1 on NG+ with that same character, clearing 1-1 with a Magic character, and about 3 hours of my co-op character. I have prior knowledge of the game and have played all the Dark Souls and Bloodborne so that probably helps. Most players probably will take 40 hours their first time.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, this game is so gorgeous

bweEUgf.jpg

is there an easy way to get screenshots to my phone? On the Xbox app I can just save them to my photo roll but the PS app is very unintuitive in terms of UI

2AdEPT

Where does Flamelurcker rank as far as boss difficulty? It's easy to see how magic can be OP in this now.
He is known as a tough boss, especially for new players who dont use ranged weapons. the final boss is likley the toughest but only the 3.2 boss beats Flamelurker for toughess iMO. I didnt think I was going to get him first try with my hyper mode character, but the magic really helps as you can see in this video:

Dragon God in this seems random as hell in where he can hit you. Don’t remember it being like that on PS3.
Gotta be outa sight, as Evil Lore suggested yo can range attack the debtris but I do a shield bash with a big shield and it also does the trick...go slowly pillar to pillar until you know ou have a clean space then run for your life! LOL.
It feels like I don't deal that much damage (iron sword+2) and his AOE is kinda hard to dodge as a melee character. I'll try again soon.
I assume I'm supposed to roll out the way of his attacks? Sir Nutz wasn't rolling out of anything. His roll looked comically slow in comparison to how he rolls now.
Yeah, all you guys I try to help in 4.2 as a blue phantom who are running around in full armour, huge shield and big ass sword are not understanding the equip penalties.....it is far worse to get the penalty to move in this and all SOuls games then to worry about the piddly benefits you get from armour or shield or even a couplle damge points from a heavy sword. Just stay under the 50% equip burden the whole playthough and only add armour pieces and weapons as you gain endurance. Not being able to roll away from an AOE is an obvious indicator that you have too much gear on. I hid behind a shield on my first few playthroughs back in 2009 and used the spear as you can hol the shield up and still attack....which saved me from rage quitting...but I only started to love the game whn I threw away my shiled, two handed my weapon and went balls to the wall. So liberating and makes you feel like you finally got gud!!!

Metnut

Would be great if the PS5 OS didn’t list all of the boss names (by showing me the trophies) each time I load up the game. It’s more fun to be surprised by what kind of boss shows up. Lame.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Beat 4-2 and 4-3 tonight. 4-2 was a pain in the ass because of all the small walkways you need to fight on. The 4-3 boss was visually very impressive. That next gen power.

Last edited:

Alexios

Man, this game is so gorgeous
Wow, that area sure is bright. In the original many areas are almost pitch black and even if they seem like they're not because you can make the overall structure out you still have to get real close for your character's glow to illuminate things and you can actually see shit. Is that not the case here?

Last edited:

timmyp53

Wow, that area sure is bright. In the original many areas are almost pitch black and even if they seem like they're not because you can make the overall structure out you still have to get real close for your character's glow to illuminate things and you can actually see shit. Is that not the case here?

That area has more light but he looks like has a filter on.

Alexios

I wasn't saying that one area was pitch black, just that it was a lot darker, so if that part is lit so much more I inquired about the darker areas, namely most of the tunnels past the armor spider. The original has pretty weird darkness, like, even going up to the monument, past the first exterior stairs and in the first little room before you turn left to the narrow interior stairs, the room there doesn't look pitch black but its walls/pillars only really show if you get much closer. Similar for other areas in the game, you can make some shit out but much of it only after it gets within the character glow.

Lol @ the bozo narrating. Mute it, but look, how even the crates at like 14:33 only get their details visible real up close, a lot of stuff are like silhouettes, so not pitch black, I mean, you can even see a white lit floor, yet, it's really not exactly lit up, even enemies can be hidden in front of the darkness.

Last edited:
He is known as a tough boss, especially for new players who dont use ranged weapons. the final boss is likley the toughest but only the 3.2 boss beats Flamelurker for toughess iMO. I didnt think I was going to get him first try with my hyper mode character, but the magic really helps as you can see in this video:

You did so much damage for a ranged attack lol

Paulxo87

1-1 you can cheese the fuck out of the red knight by leading him all the way back to the staircase of doom... He will then try to attack you but falls to his death. 3000 souls in five minutes with the run in total. Just keep doing this run over and over again and keep leveling up lol.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Well I’m nearing the end. Big night fir took out Gargoyles, Monk, Old Hero, and Storm King. I’m around SL 76 with 30 hours into the game. Not sure if I’m over leveled or not. 4-2 was a bastard nonetheless!

Defeated Penetrator by having Biorr fight alongside me. He made it way easier than when I attempted solo. Also after the two of you win and you exhaust his dialog he sits down for a nap. Then his dialog is a snore! Feel like the Onion Knight in Dark Souls 3 has a reference to this.

It’s late so I’ll leave this to beat tomorrow. I’ve beaten it way back in the day but this will still be cools I plan on going for 100% so will roll right into NG+.

Last edited:

gioGAF

Any leveling glitches are harmless in this game. I hope they are not patched out. PvP requires you to be within a certain soul level range, usually 10 Levels + [0.1 x your soul level]. If you level yourself to max, you can only play with people close to max level. You basically level yourself out of people casually playing the game and all of the active PvP ranges.

On the original, there was an active max level community for a while which was quite fun. More options seem like a good deal to me. You will NEVER reach max level legitimately in this game and max level players will NEVER impact your experience.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Do barrels and other objects ever drop items? I am in the habbit of rolling through everything but I don’t think I have got anything so far

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
OMG! What did you do Blueboint? this game is so good we are looking at nextgen shit .. oh boy I gotta leave this place, I took your advice about going blind completely even in classes. And I’m so glad I didn’t look into anything related to Demon’s Souls.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Two more questions I am wondering about

1 - does playing without magic or arrows make the game unnecessarily hard? I have completed DS1 and 2 on a melee only character

2 - What’s a good place to farm grass? I am in 2-1. Shame it doesn’t replenish.

Two more questions I am wondering about

1 - does playing without magic or arrows make the game unnecessarily hard? I have completed DS1 and 2 on a melee only character

2 - What’s a good place to farm grass? I am in 2-1. Shame it doesn’t replenish.
Magic and Arrows are easier, but I suppose it depends on you what is unnecessarily hard.

And I "farm" grass by killing the reaper right at the start of 4-2, and then using the souls he drops to buy it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
1-1 decent enough for farming crescent grass in early game

you will need arrows or projectiles for some enemies best to keep something in your toolbox

Last edited:

2AdEPT

You did so much damage for a ranged attack lol
Well I am doing a hyper mode character after all. At that point unfortunately, i was too chicken to go down to <30 health bar to do it or the damge would have been double! As it was I still had two magic boost items assisting, a ring and ana special blade in the off hand. It reduces yourown damage vs. magic considerably as well though (more than you actually get on the good side LOL.)

I am the MASTER at cheesing bosses. Espescially with magic.
I dont know about that?!!? ...I just two shot Leechmonger, Dirty collossus (well ok 3-4 shot as i had to melee the barrel), and the non real player old monk today. Maneaters went down in 4-5 shots between the two of them (the first one needed only two and the second three I think. Hyper mode is hard at times but can cheese better than no set up LOL. I was only level 60 or so but admittedly stacked the gear for max damage.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Magic and Arrows are easier, but I suppose it depends on you what is unnecessarily hard.

And I "farm" grass by killing the reaper right at the start of 4-2, and then using the souls he drops to buy it.

Thanks! I did resort to the bow to chip down the spider before going in on it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
1-1 decent enough for farming crescent grass in early game

you will need arrows or projectiles for some enemies best to keep something in your toolbox

I remembered that 1-1 would drop a lot of grass indeed but now upon my return didn’t get almost any. Resorted to 4-1 beginning grind for souls

I think I screwed up :messenger_open_mouth:

Got all drunk last night night as just stuck with farming 4-1 for souls and died a crapload and now there's red phantoms everywhere and I've never finished it lol.

I think I might need to level up elsewhere then help people finish to turn it more white.

camby

I have only beat bloodborne which i enjoyed but have never actually played a souls game for more than a few minutes. I caved and bought this today and im hoping it isnt miles harder than bb cause that was about it for the extent of my skill in video games.

JimiNutz

Banned
I've spent a lot of today farming souls in the early part of 4-1 so that I can increase my attributes. I'm putting everything into vitality, endurance and strength at the moment - how high do they each go, to 100?

Oh and I finally worked out how to use the miracle that I bought - I was worried that I'd wasted my souls on it as I couldn't work out how to use it at all, even once I'd obtained my talisman!

Although I can now easily and very quickly reach both the tower knight and armoured spider I still don't feel good enough to beat either one yet. My plan is to grind for a bit more today and then attempt to beat them both tomorrow since I can quickly reach them both.

Even though I suck at the game and don't really feel like I know what I'm doing, I absolutely love every minute of it. To think a month ago I was kind of down on the PS5 launch and was thinking about cancelling the order as I wasn't sure if I'd like this game - I'm so glad I didn't cancel. This is easily my favourite game of the year so far.

I will continue plugging away at it until I am victorious.

he definitely has a filter on or more exposure, heres what it pretty much looks like in-game.

EnXw9pJWMAQ3OjR

is there an easy way to get screenshots to my phone? On the Xbox app I can just save them to my photo roll but the PS app is very unintuitive in terms of UI
what i do is screenshot with ps5, then share it from there to twitter.

Keihart

I just wanted to comment on how cool is that Bluepoint used the original concept art to aim them in the design changes, for example soul form now looks pretty accurate to the original cover art.
iu

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so i got to the Old King Allant fight and faced off against him about a dozen or so times. the first time, i got murdered instantly. the second, i did ok, but only managed to take him down to 2/3 health before getting offed.

from then on it was a series of attempts, some of which got tragically close. the last time, i had him down to maybe 10% health, just tearing him up without taking any damage, and then he used his blue magic level sucking power, which i had been dodging for an hour or so, and just killed me so dead. lol. this game does not let up.

great fight, though! one of the best in the series/game imo. it makes me think of Knight of Artorias style fights.

Sinthor

Gold Member
In one in the lvl 17-37 range want to help me with Flamelurker? That motherfucker is OWNING me. :)

Damn...first boss I've had an issue with. Even had a human death as I tried to summon for it and got this guy that didn't come into the fight for over a minute (seemed like an hour! :) ) and then just ran around the arena not even swinging at Flamelurker till he got one-shotted by the AOE flame pound. :( All good now though!

Last edited:

vpance

The game not booting up bug has happened for me twice now. Had to restart the console. I wonder if it's caused by suspending the game when opening media apps?

Last edited:
Top Bottom