• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Filben

Just upgraded to PS Premium for like 5 EUR to test out some games, Demon's Souls among them. I was first sceptical because I know some of it from the PS3 days and I'm not the biggest fan of From Software's catalogue, but I really like Sekiro and Elden Ring though.

What really impressed me after expecting FS quality, was how actually improved this game is over FS. Hits have way more weight to it than in any FS game, enemies physically react if I strike in an upwards or downwards motion, equipment they carry fall down or fly away convincingly. It just feels great to hit something because the reaction animations are so great! Oh, and no fps /stutter issues so far...

Now I wish Elden Ring would look and feel like this, because I prefer Elden Ring's (open) world over this one. But damn, Demon's Souls is such a looker AND combat feels great.

I'm very early on, however, and these are my first impressions. It's a damn good impression though.

Boneless

Elden Ring was my first From game (played Sekiro but did not like it that much) and I poured a 100 hours into it and finished it. So I took the plunge and ordered demon souls, looking forward to it!

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ok I found/made a short cut. Went deeper into this labyrinth until I saw those dragons. After 10 min searching for the way back to the nexus my mind stopped working. Saved. Think I got both gems for the longsword upgrade and that fellow i "saved" had that faith sword form ER. Dope. I also found that goblin merchant. I'm using a Knight so I'm right thinking I'm fat rolling no?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Lol. On my first run i stumbled upon the first boss and now I've been running circles for ages looking for that damned asswipe. I swear I looked everywhere hahaha jfc

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Last edited:

tommib

Lol. On my first run i stumbled upon the first boss and now I've been running circles for ages looking for that damned asswipe. I swear I looked everywhere hahaha jfc

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF
Just go straight from the start of the level. :) He’s just at the entrance of the big castle Boletaria gates.

Hint: you want to coat your weapon with fire to kill all the goo sword minions.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just go straight from the start of the level. :) He’s just at the entrance of the big castle Boletaria gates.

Hint: you want to coat your weapon with fire to kill all the goo sword minions.

What? I've been in front of that big ass gate with the firesword wielding minions left and right. That's the place you mean no?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nah that other blobby dude from the initial trailers. I died in 2 hits and got send to the nexus. Logic seems to dictate he's in Boleria or whatever no? Got a mausoleum key FWIW.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think so but you need to raise it by going all around it. Is it open already? You’ll see the fog of it is.

No fog no. And I've been everywhere around i feel like.

Except for the dragons place and that walkway where the red dragon comes when you approach those enemies and the red eyed knight.

Feels like I've been everywhere besides that. Prolly missing something obvious.

Hmm prolly overlooked a "handle" that opens the door?

Last edited:

tommib

No fog no. And I've been everywhere around i feel like.

Except for the dragons place and that walkway where it goes when you approach those enemies and the red eyed knight.

Feels like I've been everywhere besides that. Prolly missing something obvious.
You need to cross the bridge with the dragon that spits fire and go down the stairs. I believe you need to cut the chains of the gate or something like that. You’ll open the gate going down after crossing the bridge.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You need to cross the bridge with the dragon that spits fire and go down the stairs. I believe you need to cut the chains of the gate or something like that. You’ll open the gate going down after crossing the bridge.

I see. Time it right and run for it i reckon. If so THANKS!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeap, time it right. You gain more time if you go back to where the dragons are chilling. The dragon will come back next to the other one and then you can start running.

I did a run where they rest.. got that purple shield before burning alive hehe

Thanks tommi

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm determined to complete this but I don't wanna fuck myself over.

So I've done 1-1,1-2 and 2-1.

I'm rocking a blessed mace +1 and I haven't levelled any other weapon. Just tried 3-1 and I'm hitting weak as fuck. I also struggled on tower knight.

I wanna faith build with adjudicator, mirdan and LSoM. But I don't wanna waste any materials. But I'm really feeling the pain of no weapom up grades at the moment. Help me gaf.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

I'm rocking a blessed mace +1 and I haven't levelled any other weapon. Just tried 3-1 and I'm hitting weak as fuck. I also struggled on tower knight.

I wanna faith build with adjudicator, mirdan and LSoM. But I don't wanna waste any materials. But I'm really feeling the pain of no weapom up grades at the moment. Help me gaf.
Get the Crescent Falchion from 4-1. You can find it very early on in the area. If you struggle you might even just sprint to it and quickly grab it. I think this should help you.

The dragon longsword from 2-2 can get you through everything (but the fire boss in 2-2 and the gimmick weapon battle in 4-3).

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You're all talking Egyptian as far as I'm concerned but it'll make sense along the way

Thanks tommib tommib and Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT for your help. That boss was dope. Took Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT advice (and yours I believe) and rained down fire bombs on it and its helpers. Pretty cheap but whatever it was late and I was tired.

Also took FightingCowboys advice and removed torso and helmet for having the fast rolll

Oh and nexus inventory guy says I have 3 of those gems I can store. Tell me I'm right thinking that he counts those as having those in my inventory even of they're already embedded

Last edited:
3-1 is challenging as there are ranged attacks that can annihalate you very quickly. As long as you time the Mindflayers, have poison remedies on hand, and do not try to take on the phalanxes without a ranged option the level is manageable and gives you plenty of equipment to deal with it.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
3-1 is challenging as there are ranged attacks that can annihalate you very quickly. As long as you time the Mindflayers, have poison remedies on hand, and do not try to take on the phalanxes without a ranged option the level is manageable and gives you plenty of equipment to deal with it.

Ill find out soon.

At the very end of the "Dragon breath of Fire" bridge there's a gang and two blue knights. The carriages sometimes give full protection from the fire, sometimes half or none. In any case I'll take fire damage (most likely? Before getting my hands on the gang. Any tips?

tommib

Ill find out soon.

At the very end of the "Dragon breath of Fire" bridge there's a gang and two blue knights. The carriages sometimes give full protection from the fire, sometimes half or none. In any case I'll take fire damage (most likely? Before getting my hands on the gang. Any tips?
You need to avoid fire completely. There’s an underground passage to avoid a good portion of the bridge. The carriage should give you protection. Just don’t get too close to it.

Bow and arrows are good here. I normally go 2 handed sword to deal with the gang and then run through the knights if you just want to reach the boss. You can also just 2 hand kill them. Shields help as well. They look intimidating but just go agro on them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ill find out soon.

If you run at the crowd they usually stop firing for some reason. Its out of range of the fire too and wont aggro the dragon. Take them down quickly and then the blue Knight should be the last one left.

Don't go too far near the tunnel otherwise you'll agro the blue Knight in the corridor as well.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The gang and knights I can handle although there's no rolling through them.

Underground walkway? Just until you reach the merchant of does it go further? Must've missed something then I guess.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The gang and knights I can handle although there's no rolling through them.

Underground walkway? Just until you reach the merchant of does it go further? Must've missed something then I guess.

Thanks guys!
The exit is slightly hidden. When you get to the merchant, turn around and then there is an exit a iittle way up on the left (obscured by a wooden frame you need to chop).

This brings you out just before the bridge sprint to the gang and blue Knights

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh do I need those arrows for after this boss. If so then I can spend my souls on other stuff.

Have longsword +3 and a blue eye knight shield. And just found the blue eye knight cuirass

SL 19

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
How the fuck do you shoot arrows? I'm on the shrine of storms and those manta Ray bastards are bastards.

I have a bow equipped but aim with l2 then hit r2 to shoot. I don't even see an arrow and they don't seem to lose health at all.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Aim and set arrow ready while holding R2. Let go to release arrow I believe. L1 for FPV.

Ok I beat tower shield Achilles breh so I can explore other areas. That spear is pretty good. Have it at +6 now. Wish I'd played this with you all when it released....

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Running and looking 🤣

Got a state of the art immersive controller with tons of technological marvels woven into it and here I am clawing in 2023.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Adjudicator down, got the adj shield and regen ring now - woot.

Can you go back and do side quests if you missed them, like Ostrava in 1-1?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Can you go back and do side quests if you missed them, like Ostrava in 1-1?
If you kill Phalanx and move to 1-2 he will also be there as long as he hasn't been killed prior. It would be best to help him out in fights because there is no guarantee he will survive on his own.

Edit: Like with all Souls games it can be very obscure to what triggers certain events so be sure to not leave anything behind when something unexpected occurs.

Last edited:

Boneless

Great game so far and scratches the itch after Elden Ring. The graphics are great but the sound really impresses me. I am now at the armoured spider which is kicking my ass.

Some annoyances:
- I dont like the soulform mechanic, you end up spending way too much time in the game playing as a soul.
- Having to walk all the way back to bosses gets frustrating

Filben

- I dont like the soulform mechanic, you end up spending way too much time in the game playing as a soul.
Yeah, you die and get even MORE punished. There's also a reason From Software went with the flask system since DS. Farming for health items isn't particuar fun either :/

These are my only gripes so far, though.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So I had a long sword +6 and another one which needed other upgrade materials. Which i had. So I thought why not right. Now my +6 is gone.

Whyyyyyyy

cormack12

Gold Member
So I had a long sword +6 and another one which needed other upgrade materials. Which i had. So I thought why not right. Now my +6 is gone.

Whyyyyyyy
What do you mean?

Made it through 3-1 tonight. Really want the mirdan hammer. Wondering if it's easier to farm 2-2 or get through 5-1 and grab it from 5-2?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What do you mean?

Made it through 3-1 tonight. Really want the mirdan hammer. Wondering if it's easier to farm 2-2 or get through 5-1 and grab it from 5-2?

Literally what I said. So weird.

I had a long sword +6 (hard shards?)
And I a had another that needed some other upgrade material. So I thought cool. I've got the mats so let do it; perhaps it'll turn out better than the other +6.

So I did the upgrade and now my +6 went out for cigarettes and never came home. Vanished. I'm sure I checked my inventory as well as inventory man (may god bless him)

So yeah.

I found that Mirdan Hammer very early in 2-2. Doesn't do shit compared to my +7 spear but I can see it's potential with it's range of motion.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Need to look up how to get shit darker because the Souls I get are like pennies being thrown at a hobo (me)

Top Bottom